• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Training to not eat stuff at the barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training to not eat stuff at the barn

My year old aussie named Noodle is an awesome, pretty well behaved little dog. We have a small yard at home, so I occasionally bring him out to the barn with me where there is a lot of space for him to run. He LOVES it there. He takes his job "helping" me with the horses very seriously. He nevers lets me out of sight, and usually lies in the ring, or near my truck while I'm riding.

The problems is when I'm in the barn getting ready to ride and not paying him much attention. He scours each stall for leftover grain, and picks up every kernel off the feed room floor. Then at home, 6 hours later, his intestines riot and expel everything. It's amazing to see that big a pile come from such a little guy! We feed a grain-free food at home, since he has a sensitive tummy, so I think it's just an overload but he finds any type of grain irresistible.

One obvious answer would be to never take him to the barn, but that would be a bummer for both of us. I've also tried tying him, but would really rather train him to be more responsive. My old heart dog aussie went everywhere with me, and never had this issue even as a puppy.

Noodle has completed one round of obedience training, and is signed up for a second, but our down - stays are pretty weak at this point. He does well with "leave it" at home, but not away from home with that much stimulus.

What's the best training technique to help with this?

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/...es/choices.txt

Comment

I have a collie. Lassie-type, except he'd push Timmy into the well.

He goes to the barn with me when I teach. I do not want to have to tell him 'leave-it" every time he investigates something undesirable. Grain, etc is generally kept up at the barn (in a totally different building) so it is not the main concern for The Collie. His problem is manure. ThreedogPack's suggested link technique works well for some - but not for The Collie. He uses a training collar/e-collar/hearing-aid whenever he is off leash. Its just my comfort level and training method. It works for us. Whenever he would go hover near a pile of manure I would use the "vibrate" button option for less than 1/2 a second. He does not like this sensation (but it doesn't HURT - just feels weird) and would drop the manure and scatter. Long story short? Ask The Collie and he will tell you "POOP BITES BACK!"

He associates the funky feeling with the manure - not with me. It worked well for us, may not be the answer for you, but thought I'd share.

Comment

that's a tricky one. You can easily train a dog to "leave it", but that requires YOU to be watching your dog and be ready to give the "leave it" command- the fact that you aren't supervising your dog at the barn makes this unworkable.
        Can't you just shut the stall doors? or put your dog up in a crate or the car (if the temp is safe for that) while you get your horse ready? I think putting dogs in prolonged down-stays is disrespectful to the dog's needs, and tying dogs up is unsafe.
        personally not a fan of people who bring dogs to the barn and just let them run around unsupervised. If your dog needs more exercise, there are better ways to do that than letting them run around unsupervised at the barn.

Comment

Basket muzzle? I have one that scarfs everything, and I had to use it while at the barn. She gave me a dirty look, but at least it allowed her to wander in the barn while I muck stalls.

She's not grain sensitive, but she would over indulge in poop. (ewww)

Comment

I have an Aussie too. She ate horse hooves treated with some chemical and had a $500. vet bill. Now we have chain hooked to a post with access to shade and water.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm the only boarder at this barn. It's out in the country. So bringing the dog with me on occasion isn't bothering anyone, except me when I have to clean up after him when he overindulges.
              He's pretty well behaved considering his age, and at this point, limited training. I don't feel I should have to supervise him every second and would like to do more training to that end.
              Wondering why it's disrespectful of a dog's needs to ask him to stay in one spot for 15 minutes?
              Thanks for the suggestions - I like the technique in the link and will try that and ask for help at our next obedience session.
              I think a vibration collar might be too much for this dog - he's incredibly sensitive.
              Will have to think about a muzzle in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by TBFAN View Post
                He's pretty well behaved considering his age, and at this point, limited training. I don't feel I should have to supervise him every second and would like to do more training to that end.
                the whole point of the link I put up earlier was self control on the dogs part.

the problem with using an e collar is that if your dog doesn't make the connection you will still have to watch him like a hawk to time the zap correctly.

Or it might be similar to yelling at a dog for going potty in the house, he might just wait till you aren't paying attention, the go poo diving and get a mouthful before you can hit the button. It teaches them to be sneaky. Dog have a tremendous ability to wait for the perfect moment when you are distracted.

Comment

Working...
                X