• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

From at friends at Not Always Right.com - HEAD * DESK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From at friends at Not Always Right.com - HEAD * DESK


    Sheep Dogs Aren’t Sheepish

    Dog Training | Prince William County, VA, USA | Pets & Animals

    (A client comes into my program with a very energetic Border Collie puppy.)


    Client:
    “My puppy is out of control. We live on a farm and needed a dog for our livestock. This is not what I wanted.”

    Me:
    “Okay, what is your puppy doing?”

    Client:
    “Chasing my goats and chickens all over the place!”

    Me:
    “Well this is a Border Collie, and they do herd. If the drive is not properly honed in to a herd, then a Border Collie will just chase.”

    Client:
    “But, I do not want my dog to chase my animals at all.”

    Me:
    “Then do not put your dog in with the animals.”

    Client:
    “But, I need her to protect my animals.”

    Me:
    “This is not what this breed was developed to do. This is an active, working breed that will chase.”

    Client:
    “But, I need her to lie quietly and just watch the animals.”

    Me:
    “It’s not in her breeding. What research did you do into Border Collies before you got one? Every piece of literature on dogs out there will tell you these are active dogs that will chase.”

    Client:
    “Well, I asked some guy at the local feed store what a good dog for working livestock was. He suggested a few breeds. I saw Babe, so I got a Border Collie.”

    Me:
    “Did you tell the feed store guy the type of job you wanted a dog to do?”

    Client:
    “Work livestock.”

    Me:
    “Work it how? Herding or guarding?”

    (The client just gives me a blank stare.)


    Me:
    “You have no idea the difference between herding and guarding?”

    Client:
    “I thought they were the same.”

    Me:
    “No. Have you had any farm experience?”

    Client:
    “No, we’re from the city. We thought it would be fun to move to this county and buy a small farm. But, now we have coyotes killing our animals.”

    Me:
    “So, you have no idea what you are doing at all?”

    Client:
    “No. It’s not as easy as it looks on TV huh?”

    Me:
    “No…”

    (Luckily, they did learn more about Border Collies. They got into a suitable sport after doing basic work with me, and I guided them to people who could help them get a proper livestock guarding dog.)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

  • #2
    Citiots!
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bird4416 View Post
      Citiots!
      At least this one was willing to listen and learn.

      Christa

      Comment


      • #4
        One of our BCs jumped in a pond once to herd the ducks....

        Comment


        • #5
          Ya just can't fix "stupid"!!!
          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

          Comment


          • #6
            That is funny! My young BC herds our feral chickens to the chicken shed to get fed. She is very good at bringing each and every one separately too . No, she isnt chasing them. She walks them quietly there and goes back for the next one. They have learnt and wait for her
            Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post

              Sheep Dogs Aren’t Sheepish

              Dog Training | Prince William County, VA, USA | Pets & Animals

              (A client comes into my program with a very energetic Border Collie puppy.)


              Client:
              “My puppy is out of control. We live on a farm and needed a dog for our livestock. This is not what I wanted.”

              Me:
              “Okay, what is your puppy doing?”

              Client:
              “Chasing my goats and chickens all over the place!”

              Me:
              “Well this is a Border Collie, and they do herd. If the drive is not properly honed in to a herd, then a Border Collie will just chase.”

              Client:
              “But, I do not want my dog to chase my animals at all.”

              Me:
              “Then do not put your dog in with the animals.”

              Client:
              “But, I need her to protect my animals.”

              Me:
              “This is not what this breed was developed to do. This is an active, working breed that will chase.”

              Client:
              “But, I need her to lie quietly and just watch the animals.”

              Me:
              “It’s not in her breeding. What research did you do into Border Collies before you got one? Every piece of literature on dogs out there will tell you these are active dogs that will chase.”

              Client:
              “Well, I asked some guy at the local feed store what a good dog for working livestock was. He suggested a few breeds. I saw Babe, so I got a Border Collie.”

              Me:
              “Did you tell the feed store guy the type of job you wanted a dog to do?”

              Client:
              “Work livestock.”

              Me:
              “Work it how? Herding or guarding?”

              (The client just gives me a blank stare.)


              Me:
              “You have no idea the difference between herding and guarding?”

              Client:
              “I thought they were the same.”

              Me:
              “No. Have you had any farm experience?”

              Client:
              “No, we’re from the city. We thought it would be fun to move to this county and buy a small farm. But, now we have coyotes killing our animals.”

              Me:
              “So, you have no idea what you are doing at all?”

              Client:
              “No. It’s not as easy as it looks on TV huh?”

              Me:
              “No…”

              (Luckily, they did learn more about Border Collies. They got into a suitable sport after doing basic work with me, and I guided them to people who could help them get a proper livestock guarding dog.)
              These are also the same type of people that buy an Arabian because "they're so pretty," then get upset when their horse outsmarts them and wants to go faster than a trot.
              PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

              Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RaeHughes View Post
                That is funny! My young BC herds our feral chickens to the chicken shed to get fed. She is very good at bringing each and every one separately too . No, she isnt chasing them. She walks them quietly there and goes back for the next one. They have learnt and wait for her

                Cute! My ACD keeps my unruly chickens in their pen while I feed and water... He's pretty cute actually - when I open their pop door he stands next to the ramp and greets each one as they come out and makes sure everybody is where they are supposed to be, then he goes to the gate and makes sure no one escapes Herding breeds can be such a handful and I definitely have to keep on him when it comes to the horses... But I just have the best time watching him "work". He is my first ACD - I always had labs before - and I still find it amazing how naturally ingrained his "job" is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Years ago we adopted a "walk-in" sheltie to our training center. She never bothered the horses, but would round up all the toads she could find, herd them into a pack, move them 100 feet down through the barn and group them in the wash stall!! Toads were well "legged up", but not amused!!
                  www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                  Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I taught my Sheltie to do goose removal when I was at a training center. Since I am not there anymore the command goose has become generic for anything he is allowed to chase. I do occasionally pull over on the side of the road when there are geese in a field so he gets to chase the real thing
                    McDowell Racing Stables

                    Home Away From Home

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      These stories of y'alls dogs are the BEST!
                      PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                      Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A city person used the phrase "work livestock"? I guess they picked it up and thought it sounded very knowledgeable. Oops. I can't imagine how frustrated the owners were - the dog probably didn't really care - with having images of "dog lying majestically around looking protective" running through their head, and getting "dog as perpetual motion machine" instead. Even when you know what you're getting into, a collie ain't no joke as a young dog. I don't have photos of mine until she was about 4; before that, she never sat still long enough. Collies... Probably worked out better than the reverse would have - can you imagine trying to beg/bully/force a flock-guardian breed to herd? Disaster.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry I am a city girl born and raised and I know the difference between dogs that herd and dogs that guard.

                          But then, I grew up with a World Book Encyclopedia in the house, and the D volume had excellent illustrations of dog breeds by group. (Although I think back then Herding and Working were all together ...)

                          Whatever. I am glad these cityfolk came to you and that they were herdable. What livestock guarding dog did they get? Do they still have the BC?
                          "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                            Years ago we adopted a "walk-in" sheltie to our training center. She never bothered the horses, but would round up all the toads she could find, herd them into a pack, move them 100 feet down through the barn and group them in the wash stall!! Toads were well "legged up", but not amused!!
                            That is highly entertaining! lol How many toads would she round up? And at least she was herding them to water.

                            P.
                            A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                              Years ago we adopted a "walk-in" sheltie to our training center. She never bothered the horses, but would round up all the toads she could find, herd them into a pack, move them 100 feet down through the barn and group them in the wash stall!! Toads were well "legged up", but not amused!!
                              That's hilarious!!!!!! Poor toads!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Herding dogs : Give them a job or they will find one on their own LOL.

                                I have 2 shelties - they herd each other all over the house. And when I'm visiting a friend with them, they *try* to herd her cats. The cats are not as cooperative as toads.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Roxyllsk View Post
                                  Herding dogs : Give them a job or they will find one on their own LOL.

                                  I have 2 shelties - they herd each other all over the house. And when I'm visiting a friend with them, they *try* to herd her cats. The cats are not as cooperative as toads.
                                  I let my sheltie herd an exercise ball. He loves that.
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

                                  Home Away From Home

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                                    Years ago we adopted a "walk-in" sheltie to our training center. She never bothered the horses, but would round up all the toads she could find, herd them into a pack, move them 100 feet down through the barn and group them in the wash stall!! Toads were well "legged up", but not amused!!

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                    Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry.

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X