• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

my old girl is getting pretty stiff--best joint supps or food for her?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my old girl is getting pretty stiff--best joint supps or food for her?

my sabrina is over ten, a rescue who is slowing down. lately she's not been able to move her rear legs independently going down the stairs, so scoots down on her bum. i've carried her a few times, but she's a bit too heavy for that to be safe for long.
    she thinks i'm trying to kill her with supplements or pills so hope to find somethign she'll like which will make her feel more comfortable.

she's a northern species who prefers to spend her days curled up in the snow and nights next to my bed.

It sounds like your dog is feeling genuinely uncomfortable from age. I would go to your vet and get a prescriptions for something like rimadyl or metacam. I put my dog on metacam and it has made a huge difference in her quality of life. Huge. My dog gets her metacam on a piece of bread, so no pills.

Comment

Of course personal recommendations are all just anecdotal, and ditto talking to your vet, buy my vet recommended Glycoflex III for my oldest dog, and the difference was noticeable and amazing. I added it to my next-oldest, a Cairn with luxating patella, and she became much more confident physically and started jumping up on furniture and really pouring on the speed running around outside, rearing/sitting up a lot, etc. in ways she hadn't in a while. So that's two out of two for me with an oral supplement.

My initial instinct was to go out and research on my own and look at old standards like Cosequin, etc., and comparison shop and so forth, but I'm really glad I tried GlycoFlex III right off. GlycoFlex has 3 formulas to match how much intervention is needed -- III is the "strongest" (has the most supplements compared to I and II).

I know there's a lot of skepticism about the efficacy of oral joint supplements, though.
      If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

Been using Nupro Joint Supplement for the past couple of years for my 8yo Irish Wolfhound. Can be found in pet supply stores, but cheapest on Amazon. 5 lbs is $35 and lasts a long, long time.
        http://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Pet-Rese.../dp/B000084EEE
        Bought it because my gal was on a non-Gluc/Chond food, but I've just found a new food that includes it that she can stomach.

However, I'll still keep giving it to her. 8 is old for a big girl. She leaps around on it. Without, a noticeable difference. One caveat - there are 2 Nurpros - the gold label DOES NOT have gluc/chond. Make sure you buy the silver label. Oh, and it stinks - like ground liver. She lovvvvves it!
        But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

Had my 12 year old Heeler on Cosequin DS but a few months ago he really tanked in terms of his hips (I was having to carry all 57 pounds of him up and down our really steep stairs). Vet said he didn't even have to x-ray to know how bad the arthritis was, he could feel how "crunchy" they were. We tried Rimadyl (carprofen) with a pain reliever (tramadol) first and I didn't see any change in him after a couple of weeks. We then went to prednisone and doxy (just in case it was Lyme disease) and he was much better almost immediately but I didn't want to leave him on prednisone permanently and the side effects were making him drive me nuts. He went back to crippled within a couple of days of stopping those meds and we've now switched him to Previcox and he's still on oral supplement and fish oil and he's doing much better, is now able to make it up and down the stairs on his own probably 75% of the time. I did ask about Adequan as well but I'm not comfortable trying to give him shots myself so we went the Previcox route first. It's pricey but if it helps keep him comfortable I'll just have to make do.
          It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Comment

Is this animal a dog or cat? If she is a dog, you may want to look into Rimadyl or Meloxicam...sounds like you need the big guns, not just a supplement.

Comment

you should get a diagnosis first. Not all apparent lamenesses of older dogs are caused by arthritis. Throwing supplements for arthritis at a dog who actually has a torn ligament, a disc problem, or a neurological or muscle disorder, or even lyme disease, is not helpful.

Comment

I thought my dogs problem was arthritis. It turned out it was a deteriorating joint. Surgery helped a ton but I still had to have her on Rimadyl. I put her on Cosequin and have been able to take her off the Rimadyl. She will be 13 this month and is running and playing.
                Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

Adequan, hands down.
                  Save the NSAIDs for when she gets stiff even after the loading dose of Adequan. Works out to about 25.00 mo, if you were to compare the yrly cost to NSAIDs which can be up to 100.00+ per mo.

Comment

I would have the vet check her out and agree with starting with the Adequan and saving the NSAIDS for later. Mine are both 11 and on Adequan, fish oil, and fluid action HA and bounce off the walls. They are followed closely by the vet at this age and get bloodwork and an exam about every 4-5 months. Your vet can help you determine what is the best protocol for what he/she finds.

Comment

I started my dog on Adequan after "meh" results with NSAIDs. The difference is remarkable! She also is on oral joint sup, but the adequan seems to have made her a few years younger!

Comment

The only truly clinically proven things to improve arthritis symptoms in dogs is reducing the dog's body weight and feeding high doses of fish oil. 3 to 4% of the diet should be fish oil, by dry weight, in order for you see an effect. Weigh the dog's usual amount of kibble and calculate how much to give. This is A LOT more than the usual suggestions of fish oil supplementation to improve general health.

Many people, however, find that oral supplements of various kinds produce dramatic improvements in their dogs- it's kind of trial and error which one works for YOUR dog.

Comment

I haven't read all the replies, but my dog is super stiff and sore throughout her back/hips...she was hit by a car 3 years ago and the arthritis has progressively gotten worse.

I've started her on a tab of Tumeric a day, along with Krill fish oil, both of which have natural anti-inflammatory properties. The difference in her is amazing! I do have Metacam to use when she's really bad and needs an extra kick.

I was leary about trying the Tumeric and didn't really think it would do anything but within in a week, she was walking around almost normal again. Although I definitely suggest an appointment with your vet.

Comment

I have a 12 year old Irish Wolfhound mix and she does very well with fluid HA. My vet has given her Adequan but so far a dose of HA every other day and making sure she is walked and is not gaining weight works well for her. She is ancient for a big dog and is quite comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
                              I have a 12 year old Irish Wolfhound mix and she does very well with fluid HA. My vet has given her Adequan but so far a dose of HA every other day and making sure she is walked and is not gaining weight works well for her. She is ancient for a big dog and is quite comfortable.
                              12 yrs for an Irish Wolfhound is Great! You must be doing something right!

Comment

Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                12 yrs for an Irish Wolfhound is Great! You must be doing something right!
                                We got her from the local pound 5 years ago. She had been returned 7 times and she is so sweet. My son picked her out, she is big but she got along with our other dog so we brought her home. I think being a mix is helpful for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallycairn View Post
                                  Of course personal recommendations are all just anecdotal, and ditto talking to your vet, buy my vet recommended Glycoflex III for my oldest dog, and the difference was noticeable and amazing. I added it to my next-oldest, a Cairn with luxating patella, and she became much more confident physically and started jumping up on furniture and really pouring on the speed running around outside, rearing/sitting up a lot, etc. in ways she hadn't in a while. So that's two out of two for me with an oral supplement.

My initial instinct was to go out and research on my own and look at old standards like Cosequin, etc., and comparison shop and so forth, but I'm really glad I tried GlycoFlex III right off. GlycoFlex has 3 formulas to match how much intervention is needed -- III is the "strongest" (has the most supplements compared to I and II).

I know there's a lot of skepticism about the efficacy of oral joint supplements, though.
                                  My girl has been on the GlycoFlex III for four years. In fact, I can't really say if it helps or not since all I know is she's *knock on wood* in good shape, and wasn't bad before we started it! I had started the GF I way back when she was five and limped occasionally. She blew out her knee when she was six, so I ramped right up to the GF III then (she had knee surgery). She's now 10 and runs, jumps and plays like crazy, despite back arthritis. So I certainly think the GF doesn't hurt!

(This reminds me, I have to order more. I get it online from KV Supply as I think they have the best price and great service, too. But it's a very cost-effective product anyway; half a chewable tab for 44 lb./daily. I get the 120-tab bottle so it lasts for ages. And Sunny thinks they taste fabulous!)
                                  "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

Comment

My boy (9ish) was looking really bad. Limping and creeky. I thought he was going to the one way trip to the vet I was feeding him great food and he had the runs bad.

I decided it would be easier for me to just try changing his food one more time. I also added a supp. He now acts like a pup again.

I feed him

http://www.smartpakequine.com/canine...ior-2925p.aspx and

http://www.smartpakequine.com/wellne...ors-2549p.aspx
                                    Draumr Hesta Farm
                                    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

My parents' beagle mix is very stiff and slow, and a bit hind-end wobbly. Went to the expensive vet for a full work-up (blood, x-rays, the whole shebang) and she's...perfectly fine, just old. They recommended a low-dose aspirin (like the kind for humans taking blood-thinning aspirin) and to make sure she keeps up exercise. Not LONG walks if she can't deal with it, but as much walks as she will tolerate, on a regular schedule. I'd check with a vet before any kind of NSAIDs, otc or prescription, but it might just be aches of age. Even for arthritis, exercise (LIGHT exercise if necessary) can help the joints stay healthy and ease the stiffness that causes some of the restricted movement.

And of course watch the diet. Especially with my senior (Puff), I make sure he's not too fat and not too thin and gets the right kind of fats, which can help with the joints. He doesn't get anything special (except low-fat yogurt if he has tummy issues, like he just did from the antibiotic after their teeth cleaning adventure) but I feed a good food and make sure he gets as much walking as he will tolerate. Keeping dogs moving and exercising, even if it's only a couple short walks a day, seems to help a lot when they're seniors.
                                      Author Page
                                      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Try Wags tablets, they are amazing and you see results with just a couple of days, they will send you a free 2 week trial BUT they base the amount of packs they send you on the weight of the dog so when you order your free sample put the highest weight they have so they send you 3 packs

http://www.petresearch.com/product-info/# scroll down and the free sample area will be on the right.
                                        The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Comment

Working...
                                        X