• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

LOVE my dogs, but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOVE my dogs, but...

my mindset has always been that i have pets to ENJOY them, love them, and basically, just BE WITH them.......

however, even after having 2-3 labs in the house over the course of 25 years, i have NEVER had so much dirt in the house as now.........

the anatolian shepherd is the major culprit.........the smooth coat collie is next...................it's not the hair...yes, they shed, but the hair generally falls to the floor,becomes tumbleweeds and is vacuumed/swept up.........
    it is the dirt/dust they bring inside.....not just of feet, but they seem to be a moving dust storm, and EVERYTHING is covered in red dust..............even with wiping off the toilet tank and lid 2X a day, you can still write your name in the dust at almost any time..................

the dogs are in and out............they love to be outside, but do NOT want to be away from people........the anatolian is laying on my feet as i type.........plus ,if outside beyond what they want, they will BARK.......

anyone have some realistic, do-able solutions to the dirt problem?....they are both terrified of the vacuum....i got one of those dog brush attachments, but it is a no-go...........i am at my wit's end.........honestly, if you leave a basket of clean laundry sitting out for a day, the top piece of clothing will be dirty on the surface...............
    aaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.........

Ha - you belong to a very large club on COTH I'm sure! We seem to love being a slave to our animals.

I have two white bull terriers, so you would think not much of a problem. Those little white hairs get everywhere and weave in and out of carpets, etc.
    I am just a meanie. I have gates at the bottom of the stairs, between the kitchen and living room and kitchen and tv room. They only stay on the hard surfaces, with their beds.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I close as many doors as possible in my house for both energy reasons and to keep the animals out. The main living area of my house isn't very clean, but it seems to do the trick for the rest of the house.
      "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

Someone needs to modify those automatic car wash designs to work as a vacuum-type thing on pet doors. Doggie wants in, he gets hoovered-off on his way through the door.

I know, not very helpful! (But if anyone has friends/family with mad engineering skills, this could be lucrative)! Calling Mr. Dyson. . .

Of course it'd have to be available in varying speeds/force size-appropriate. Woe betide the Pomeranian attempting to pass through the door set to "Sheltie".

Comment

We keep the animals out of the bedrooms/upstairs but they have the run of the kitchen and livingroom. Small house, 4 inside dogs and 6 cats, kids.

I just clean it every day. Sweep, vacuum, quick damp mop, wipe off the main surfaces. I don't have carpet (never again) and only leather furniture and when I'm done with the floors the place is dust free until another dog shakes. I try really hard not to even watch when one of them shakes when the light is shining across the room so that you can see each and every particle coming off the dogs... I keep them calm in the house too, no running around spazzing out. I have the vacuum plugged in and ready to go in a corner of the downstairs.

I have a Great Pyrenees too and when he comes in for a visit he makes a huge mess. I think those guard dog breeds just shed constantly-I have to vacuum right after he's been in or the house is covered in dust bunnies.
          “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
            Someone needs to modify those automatic car wash designs to work as a vacuum-type thing on pet doors. Doggie wants in, he gets hoovered-off on his way through the door.
            This is genius!
            ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

I know, not very helpful! (But if anyone has friends/family with mad engineering skills, this could be lucrative)! Calling Mr. Dyson. . .

Of course it'd have to be available in varying speeds/force size-appropriate. Woe betide the Pomeranian attempting to pass through the door set to "Sheltie".
              hahahaha I love this. Someone needs to patent it! And make it affordable...
              "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
              "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Have you looked into the carpet runners designed to clean pet paws? I have not, but see them advertised. Might help a little. I'd love to hear if anyone has tried this type of product!

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...OX%2001&ref=us

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...TN%2001&ref=us

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...L%20023&ref=us
                If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

• Original Poster

it's not so much the paws.........they just carry so much dirt/dust in their coats!!!.........just like the horses get muddy and dirty......except the horses don't come inside,and i cannot realistically curry the dogs every time they are in and out.............and the floors get so dusty, laying on the floor makes them dirty!

BUT, i saw an ad for something today that may help.....a hoover floor mate....................works like a rug doctor, with 2 tanks of water and rotatingscrub brushes...but it'f for non-carpeted areas..................i don't have carpet, just OLD random width and slate..............
                  found a commercial one, was excitied, til i saw the PRICE......6000.00!!!!!!!

Comment

Best advice I can give you is dog baths. Also, keep your windows closed (just in case you keep them open - I can't believe how much pollen dust I get in the house when I have windows open, very similar to your situation). Anyhow, I bathe my dogs once a week - very easy to do at the barn! It is a super pain in the butt, but the benefit when it came to my cleaner house made it so worth it. Also, they just feel nicer and your house smells better.

Oh, and I have a dyson

eta: oh, and do you have lots of dirt patches in your yard that your dogs lie in? I did when I moved to my current house, and then I made it a priority to cover them with grass. This also made a huge difference.
                    Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

What about keeping them clipped? Or in for deshedding treatments at the groomer (or diy at home)? Deshedding can cut down on the coat which carries more dirt.
                      Also the more often they're running in and out, there's going to be so much more dirt.
                      We also keep our central air off as much as possible. Our bedroom is off limits (Ok... Two sleep in there with us), and the central air just circulates all that dust. How about air filters in the living rooms?
                      I know the feeling!

Comment

• Original Poster

F Fox............YES, there are dirt, now MUD patches in their yard, and i know this contributes tremendously to the dirt......LOL.the other day i actually fund myself wondering about astro turf!!!!
                        more realistically, i am considering the aisle runner rubber mats......thin enough that i can move and unroll a 20 foot section by myself.........................i used a section in my dooryard last year to enable my mother to come out under the arbor and get to the swing using her walker,without getting mud all over herself and the walker wheels..............worked pretty well....................can i be sure the dogs will CHOOSE to lay on the mats insead of the dirt?..........no, but with the still chilly air and sometimes warm sunshine, the black rubber warming up should attract them to the rubber mats..........and maybe by the time summer rolls around, the grass will have filled in, or i'll have a better solution...........
                        anything that may seem to be a solution to the mud is problematic with the barn cats............using straw, wood chips, gravel, ANYTHING moveable, will be used as a litter box.

Comment

Baths. That's really the best solution; even if it's just once a week (and not daily if muddy). But I'd also consider clipping as well. If I let my muddy dogs dry, my house is extremely dusty - we have clay as well, so the "mud" dries to a very fine powdery dust that settles everywhere.

This time of year my dogs are getting rinsed twice a day. Nothing else to do, really. But it's easier than vacuuming twice a day, so I do it.

Comment

I have one of those shark steam mops - It's really quick & easy to use
                            and the floor dries pretty quickly. Good for all types of flooring (set it
                            to a lower heat level for wood floors) and it doesn't use chemicals.

It's great for everyday touch ups, it's easy to use, and it's not too
                            expensive. Plus you just throw the mop cover in the wash.

Comment

Originally posted by bits619 View Post
                              What about keeping them clipped? Or in for deshedding treatments at the groomer (or diy at home)? Deshedding can cut down on the coat which carries more dirt.
                              Also the more often they're running in and out, there's going to be so much more dirt.
                              We also keep our central air off as much as possible. Our bedroom is off limits (Ok... Two sleep in there with us), and the central air just circulates all that dust. How about air filters in the living rooms?
                              I know the feeling!
                              Oh, I loved this post, bits! Off limits, sure, yes, except for those TWO who sleep with you!
                              If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

This is so funny. Used to breed Labs. Our best friends took one. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Best Friend and my ex spent an afternoon attempting to design this exactly!
                                But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

My dogs wear blankets when it is cold enough to do so. It does help keep them clean. Yesterday I saw them both rolling in "something" but neither of them got dirty or stinky and their blankets went into the washer.
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

We are still frozen, but I'm building the dog(s) (I'm currently down to one ) a sacrifice paddock this summer. Really. They have a fenced in run (probably 20 x 20') off the side of the garage and I'm going to expand it and I'm seriously leaning towards pea gravel for the whole thing.

There already is a sidewalk through it, which is nice, because that means the highest traffic area (the door) is cement.

I hate mud.
                                    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tallyho392 View Post
                                      F Fox............YES, there are dirt, now MUD patches in their yard, and i know this contributes tremendously to the dirt......LOL.the other day i actually fund myself wondering about astro turf!!!!
                                      more realistically, i am considering the aisle runner rubber mats......thin enough that i can move and unroll a 20 foot section by myself.........................i used a section in my dooryard last year to enable my mother to come out under the arbor and get to the swing using her walker,without getting mud all over herself and the walker wheels..............worked pretty well....................can i be sure the dogs will CHOOSE to lay on the mats insead of the dirt?..........no, but with the still chilly air and sometimes warm sunshine, the black rubber warming up should attract them to the rubber mats..........and maybe by the time summer rolls around, the grass will have filled in, or i'll have a better solution...........
                                      anything that may seem to be a solution to the mud is problematic with the barn cats............using straw, wood chips, gravel, ANYTHING moveable, will be used as a litter box.
                                      I think this is a good idea for the mud - try a quarry and see if they have any belts they would give you. You'd have to pick them up though to grow grass in the spring. To get the grass started, seriously think about buying some sod if the spots aren't too big and at least breaking it up into chunks to fill the sections in. I'd also look into the biodegradable netting stuff that you can put down which holds a growth substrate and the seed in place long enough for it to establish. We ended up mulching the big clay patch that is closest to the high traffic deck stairs and then in the mulch (pine straw) we put down pavers where the most concentrated path would be. Then, we put plugs of grass in all of the patches and kept them watered and fertilized. Within one growing season we had almost solved the problem.

Eliminating the dirt patches, doing weekly baths, and rinsing mud as another poster suggested are probably your best options. Also, maybe consider limiting the time they are outside, or if you leave them outside for a long time give them a more desirable place to lay. I don't often leave my dogs out for more than just a 15 minute break, but they do have access to our deck which is where they prefer to lay - it gives a better view of any intruder squirrels!
                                      Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

Originally posted by Rallycairn View Post
                                        Oh, I loved this post, bits! Off limits, sure, yes, except for those TWO who sleep with you!
                                        I know, horrible! :-D well, the little one doesn't shed, and sleeps in a pop up crate, and we just moved our oldest dog into the bedroom at night because she isn't doing very well... But that room IS off limits during the day.... Lol!

Comment

Working...
                                        X