• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Buying purebred dogs from a breeder vs. rescuing mutts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying purebred dogs from a breeder vs. rescuing mutts?

So, not to open a huge can of worms, but this is a topic I always find myself on the fence of.

How do you feel about people who spend thousands of dollars on purebred dogs when there are shelter dogs being euthanized daily purely due to lack of space?

Do you put value on the maintenance of breeds?

Do you think we will ever see certain breeds go "extinct?"

Discuss!

Apples and Oranges. My heart doesn't break any less for the unwanted dogs in the world just because I have a well-bred dog.

Many breeds are on the brink of disappearing and the gene pools are becoming increasingly bottlenecked because there are so few breeders of quality left.

If everyone rescues then eventually breeds will collapse in on themselves because we will have no genetic diversity. Even in my breed which is relatively popular it can be a challenge to find quality dogs that don't start crossing pedigrees within 4-5 generations.

I have very strong feelings about people who purchase mutts labeled as designer breeds. It is incredibly hypocritical and furthers the unwanted dog problem in the country.

Comment

trolling much?

mutts are great.

but when you buy a dog from a reputable breeder you get much more than just a dog.

you get a predictability on how the dog is most likely to grow up, behave. strong points weaknesses, along with the breeder's accumulated experience.

from the shelter you get a dog, maybe fixed, what you see is what you get in most cases. At best an educated guess.

you can get purebreds, but those are most often the result of less than reputable breedings.

if you need nothing else but a companion, the mutt can do nicely.

for some other things you want a more specialized companion.
      Originally posted by BigMama1
      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

If you have a specific dog in mind, for a specific look or task, get that kind and you can find those from a good breeder of those kinds of dogs.

Do you want a companion to do little with, some walking, playing in the yard, going with you places, but not performance and competition or other such that takes a special breed, then it would be foolish to spend the kind of money well bred dogs require, plus leave all those very nice companion dogs out there already in shelters.

Both are fine choices for your purpose, be sensible and realistic and chose what will fit, within what is out there.

Today, also, you can compete with random bred dogs in many performance venues, even AKC, so even there, unless you are a high end competitor, many dogs in shelters could fit what you want.

At our performance dog club, many dogs the general public brings are random bred, even those they think are purebred and they make excellent dogs.
        Dog club members generally tend to have both, registered dogs for competition, many times puppies from the same breeder for years and some they fostered for the shelter and ended keeping.

I don't think there is a right answer for everyone, or a reason to demand that everyone only get a shelter dog or they are not caring enough for not doing so.

Comment

I have had a good share of rescue dogs. Being a farm and all, guess I just had the extra room. Plus I worked for a vet for most my life , you just tend to drag things home. That being said with all the rescues I have done, if I want a well bred dog of a certain breed, I go ahead and treat myself. I will most likely always have both. And I dont value one more than another, as far as they get what they need, vet wise or whatever.
          Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
            If you have a specific dog in mind, for a specific look or task, get that kind and you can find those from a good breeder of those kinds of dogs.

Do you want a companion to do little with, some walking, playing in the yard, going with you places, but not performance and competition or other such that takes a special breed, then it would be foolish to spend the kind of money well bred dogs require, plus leave all those very nice companion dogs out there already in shelters.

Both are fine choices for your purpose, be sensible and realistic and chose what will fit, within what is out there.

Dog club members generally tend to have both, registered dogs for competition, many times puppies from the same breeder for years and some they fostered for the shelter and ended keeping.

I don't think there is a right answer for everyone, or a reason to demand that everyone only get a shelter dog or they are not caring enough for not doing so.
            This does seem like trolling for a fight, btw.

Bluey said what I think. I have two rescue cats and one rescue doberman. My next (very carefully selected puppy) is from a breeder, because he is intended for mondio ring. Mind you, he is not born yet--I am waiting for the right dog. Most dogs (including my recently departed "purchased" purebred) are not suitable for this particular sport, but you can bring a rescue to competitive AKC events like agility and obedience--everything but conformation.

In addition to a mondio club, I am a member of the AKC kennel club--an all volunteer organization and my experience is also also what Bluey said about forsters--I would also point out that we volunteer to teach the public through classes how to care for and train their dogs, so hopefully they don't end up as unwanted pets. It is a very big time committment. Many of the members are breeders, but many are just competitors or dog fanciers--all love dogs.

One more thought. I, personally, do put a value on the maitenance of the breeds I love, but I think they are largely ruined and have deviated from their original purpose. That's a whole 'nuther can of worms, however. It's kind of like a halter horse vs. a working-bred horse... (no further comment). Going back to your question about rescues, you can look at horses too. Take a rescue horse vs. a performance bred horse. If someone wants to casually trail ride, do we forbid them from paying for a purebred horse if that's what they want to ride when there are so many rescues available?

I think we exercise responsibility for animals on a personal level (through care, training, & responsible breeding) and can also educate and volunteer on a broader level. That is how we are responsible animal lovers--by our actions.
            Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Feb. 19, 2013, 05:54 PM.
            DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
              trolling much?

mutts are great.

but when you buy a dog from a reputable breeder you get much more than just a dog.

you get a predictability on how the dog is most likely to grow up, behave. strong points weaknesses, along with the breeder's accumulated experience.

from the shelter you get a dog, maybe fixed, what you see is what you get in most cases. At best an educated guess.

you can get purebreds, but those are most often the result of less than reputable breedings.

if you need nothing else but a companion, the mutt can do nicely.

for some other things you want a more specialized companion.

Comment

Trolling: Asking controversial questions that are likely to elicit strong responses from opposing sides and bring many bystanders with snacks and adult refreshments to watch.

tee-arr-oh-ell-ell-eye-en-gee: Trolling

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by caballero View Post
                  Trolling: Asking controversial questions that are likely to elicit strong responses from opposing sides and bring many bystanders with snacks and adult refreshments to watch.

tee-arr-oh-ell-ell-eye-en-gee: Trolling
                  I get it.

However, I'm not trolling... simply posing a legitimate question to get viewpoints from others. I'm not bashing anyone for having an opinion either way, and I would hope that my fellow posters are mature enough to do the same.

Thanks, though.

Proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by dappled View Post
                    I get it.

However, I'm not trolling... simply posing a legitimate question to get viewpoints from others. I'm not bashing anyone for having an opinion either way, and I would hope that my fellow posters are mature enough to do the same.

Thanks, though.

Proceed.
                    Oh Dappled....some of the greatest, most epic battles fought on COTH started with very interesting and legitimate topics...the care of hooves comes to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
                      Apples and Oranges. My heart doesn't break any less for the unwanted dogs in the world just because I have a well-bred dog.
                      Good post.

Unfortunately there are just too many bad owners out there - who don't care whether their dog is purebred or not, or spayed or neutered, or fed...or anything. If more of those people actually CARED about dogs, there would be far fewer dogs in shelters.

My owning a purebred dog does not change those people - there will still be people who don't spay/neuter; who will actually purposefully breed bad/unhealthy dogs because they think puppies are cute; who will abandon their dogs when it gets "too hard", etc.

I, on the other hand, own a dog that was purposefully bred for a reason, with health checks to prevent congenital issues to the best of the breeder's ability; that I can enjoy and compete with (if I choose), or just have a well-bred pet.

I don't feel guilty. I do donate to our local shelter and to my breed rescue, though.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
                        Oh Dappled....some of the greatest, most epic battles fought on COTH started with very interesting and legitimate topics...the care of hooves comes to mind...

I must have missed that one!

But really though. I'm just curious whether or not people value breeds and the importance of preserving them, etc. or if it doesn't matter to some people. The idea of extinction of breeds is pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post

so I have been told.....
                          Originally posted by BigMama1
                          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

So, not to open a huge can of worms, but this is a topic I always find myself on the fence of.

How do you feel about people who spend thousands of dollars on purebred dogs when there are shelter dogs being euthanized daily purely due to lack of space?

Do you put value on the maintenance of breeds?

Do you think we will ever see certain breeds go "extinct?"

Discuss!
                            Do you chastise people for getting a well bred sporthorse prospect rather than a rescue?

There is NOTHING wrong with opting to buy a well bred puppy from a reputable breeder from health tested parents that have proven themselves in conformation or performance. The folks who want a GSP for hunting wouldn't be getting a dog from a shelter if they weren't coming to us or another breeder. The same for those who want a corgi. If I hadn't bought my foundation bitch and current agility partner as a puppy, her spot in the household would not have been filled by a shelter dog.

Just because someone lives in an area where folks allow dogs to breed indiscriminately (this is based on what I see as the huge number of dogs from the south transported to New England) doesn't mean they should guilty for going out and getting an intentionally bred dog which fits their household.

I spend more hours per year in dog school than I can count. I took my youngest starting at 9 weeks and she has continued straight through (now 13 months) and it is easy when going to puppy school to tell which dogs came from reputable breeders vs the shelter or pet store. The gap in socialization is huge. The practice where I work has a litter that was pulled from a high kill shelter at around 12 weeks. The staff has been working with them, but they are so delayed. My puppy was easy to train, she started clicker work at 5 weeks of age. Most of these ones are two fearful of the sound of the clicker to even be able to use it as a training tool.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marshfield View Post
                              Do you chastise people for getting a well bred sporthorse prospect rather than a rescue?

There is NOTHING wrong with opting to buy a well bred puppy from a reputable breeder from health tested parents that have proven themselves in conformation or performance. The folks who want a GSP for hunting wouldn't be getting a dog from a shelter if they weren't coming to us or another breeder. The same for those who want a corgi. If I hadn't bought my foundation bitch and current agility partner as a puppy, her spot in the household would not have been filled by a shelter dog.

Just because someone lives in an area where folks allow dogs to breed indiscriminately (this is based on what I see as the huge number of dogs from the south transported to New England) doesn't mean they should guilty for going out and getting an intentionally bred dog which fits their household.

I spend more hours per year in dog school than I can count. I took my youngest starting at 9 weeks and she has continued straight through (now 13 months) and it is easy when going to puppy school to tell which dogs came from reputable breeders vs the shelter or pet store. The gap in socialization is huge. The practice where I work has a litter that was pulled from a high kill shelter at around 12 weeks. The staff has been working with them, but they are so delayed. My puppy was easy to train, she started clicker work at 5 weeks of age. Most of these ones are two fearful of the sound of the clicker to even be able to use it as a training tool.
                              Wow!

I'm sorry you took that from my post, but I said nothing to even imply that I was chastising anyone. I am completely neutral on this subject, and would prefer not to be attacked. I never said there was anything wrong with getting a purebred puppy, nor did I say there was anything wrong with adopting a rescue mutt.

Comment

I'm going to argue that the 12 week old pups may have genetic issues with temperment. I once got a hunting dog that was kenneled through six months and you would have never known she wasn't socialized after a couple days. I also know someone with a nine-month old GSD--same thing. She's ready to title him in obedience a couple months later, btw. I think he will go high score. But the parents were confident dogs. This would not work with fearful genetics.

I'm not advocating skipping socialization of puppies!! I think it is very important. But they should have been largely ok at 12 weeks just socializing with each other and their mother (if she was of steady temperment). It sounds like something else is going on there (like bad breeding).

I didn't get my last dog until she was 11 weeks old and she had zero issues with socialization and titled easily when I got around to trialing her.

All of which is another pro for good genetics...

Comment

For me it depends on the breed. I've had rhodesian ridgebacks -all rescues from ridgeback rescue after the first one from the pound. I wouldn't hesitate to get most dogs this way. However, if I go for a German Shepherd it will very likely be from a reputable breeder since the breed has essentially been run into the ground. And by reputable I mean the ones who breed level toplines, sane and sound dogs. Beyond that I don't care.

Paula
                                  He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I am presently dogless, and rather enjoying it still. When I do get another dog, it will depend on what I want.

If I get another Rottie, I will definitely buy from a very good breeder. My last Rottie (best dog ever btw) had some serious genitic issues like severe, early onset hip and elbow dysplasia. I bought her as an 8 week old pup from the municipal pound. I think that if I went to a very good breeder, I could possibly avoid some of that.

I have always gotten dogs from the pound or for free from various circumstances, and honestly I would not want to pay pure bred dog prices for a simple companion.
                                    Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

I do not concern myself with what other people do with their money. Both my dogs are purebred and both came from Craigslist. From this point forward I will always have this breed and will buy from a breeder if that's the only way I can get a red female with a tail and a great temperament, which will be the next one we get.
                                      My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

Nothing wrong with buying a well bred, tested puppy from a respected responsible breeder. Nothing at all. However, when you buy one from a puppy mill or a backyard breeder with no knowledge, no testing, who is breeding what she/he's got to what she/he's got with no clue about responsible breeding? That's a problem.

Personally, I prefer rescue dogs, but that's my choice.

Comment

Working...
                                        X