• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Westminster Dog Show Monday & Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westminster Dog Show Monday & Tuesday

It's on tonight & tomorrow.

Is the "Champions only" phase over? I just went online to look up today's results and I see class entries! I'm psyched. When did that happen?

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

I don't mean to seem catty, but, why do the women who are showing these dogs dress the way they do? I understand the flats, but is there a rule that you have to dress like a frump? Maybe there's a set rule about how you have to dress? The women I see handling horses in hand at horse shows don't seem to have a problem looking like they took some care with their appearance, so what's up with dog show dress?
    If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
    Desmond Tutu

Comment

You can watch online today and tomorrow! I've been watching on/off today

Comment

Yes, they have opened it up to all class animals again, not just the Specials (Champions), though the breed judging now takes place in another location, not Madison Square Garden, but Group and BIS judging take place at the Garden. This is not the first time, in 1970 you only had to have one point to qualify, then you had to have a major, then in the dog show entries "boom" time, they limited it to Specials- and entries closed almost as soon as they opened. In the past few years, however, dog show entries have been declining, so they opened it up again.

Anyone else going to a Westminster viewing party tonight? I'm bringing some bubbly to cheer on the Irish Wolfhound!

Comment

Oh and the exhibitors will be dressed much more formally this evening, you will see some bling!

I know, sigh, some exhibitors did not get the memo about the need for sports bras when you are trotting about the ring, and comfortable secure shoes you can run in can be difficult to find, but possible....see past threads on this topic.

I have always envied ladies who show toy breeds, who can wear killer heels or easily find cute shoes, while those of us who have to really book it with the bigger faster moving dogs have a harder time.

I have no explanation for the general lack of fashion sense among some exhibitors, I hear you! But not all, you will see some very spiffy outfits.

Comment

I was surprised to see class entries today as well (obviously didn't read up on the show). If I read correctly, class entries have to at least have one major? I think that's kind of cool; I'd love to have entered my dog for WD at Westminster. Not sure we'll ever consider going as a special, though. A totally different competition, for sure.

My take on dog show attire is that there really are a lot of exhibitors who spend all their money on their dogs. I always try to look like a professional handler if I can...can't hurt to look good! But there are a lot of exhibitors who do look nice...it's just easy to overlook them when someone dresses really badly.

Yes - we're off to a WKC party tonight. I've made scoresheets for us to keep track of our favorites, too. My breed shows tomorrow, but it's a bad night for a party so we'll have fun tonight with these groups instead.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for understanding that I wasn't trying to be insulting. I'm going to watch tonight, and I'll watch for the bling.
              If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
              Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Original Poster

I think it's a great idea to have classes again. So glad to see this. When I used to actually attend the show as a spectator WAY back in the day, I loved seeing the classes and was so disappointed when they went to BoB/BoV only. To win points at Westminster, or to win the Bred by Exhibitor class, was such a thrill.

Comment

Could be they have to have a major, didn't read up on it since it I wasn't planning on entering. We have four very nice specials here who might be competitive, but having shown there once upon a time, I was not eager to repeat the experience.

Yes the "Fashion Fails" do tend to stick in one's mind, though I've seen so many it takes a lot to get my attention. There is even a website, or maybeit is a Facebook page, dedicated to exhibitors wearing unfortunate dog show outfits.

Wow, scoresheets! You are certainly intense about it! We will just gossip, critique, and enjoy!

Comment

......and drink champagne!

Comment

Originally posted by Houndhill View Post
                      Wow, scoresheets! You are certainly intense about it! We will just gossip, critique, and enjoy!
                      Nah, it's because we have the kids who won't know all the breeds. I just copied the group page from akc.org and pasted into a word document. It was easier than I thought it would be...so now we can circle or make comments while we watch and try to guess the winners. (haha, my dh always says "I picked him, yes I did! You just must have missed it!")

If we were intense we'd be laying side bets. Maybe next year!

Comment

Go ACDs!! So nice to see Boss at the top, he's a nice moving dog but that bitch that won Best of Opposite is a looker too!

Love watching the dogs, just wish the handlers could get on board, at least with fashion, I know the shoes have to be functional.
                        You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.

Comment

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy ..... I can't put into words, but I am going to watch.
                            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Wow Wendy. I'll make sure to pass that along to the ACD breeders I know. Their dogs are quit healthy, actually above average for the breed (90th percentile PennHip for example) and are still working and agility dogs outside the ring. So sad to hear the breed is "ruined".

Mostly I'm thrilled that the ACD will possibly get more recognition, and if one BYB around here realizes they're actually supposed to have tails and quits docking I will be estatic.
                              You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

I have a question concerning the judges. I know the dogs are supposed to be "anonymous", but are they really? I mean, when you have a dog who's racked up near-record numbers of BIS wins, isn't it more or less clear to the judge who they're looking at?

In 2010 - did the judge really not know that Stump was the Sussex in the ring? That dog is almost a legend.

Comment

Anonymous my ass! Why do you think owners pay HUGE amounts for full page ads in the various show magazines with big pictures of the dog and prominent thanks to the judges who've put the dog up recently. In effect, HERE'S the dog; HERE are the judges who liked him; and BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR HIM.

As to Wendy's comment, she is correct MANY breeds are no longer what they were and a breed has often paid for its popularity with genetic and physical flaws and temperment changes. Rough collies for one. Back in the early 70's collies had no eye troubles. Then the fancy decided the forward placement of the eyes like the Shetland Sheepdog made for a cuter expression. They began slowly breeding the eye away from the side of the head to the front and suddenly eye problems were everywhere. No collie today should be allowed to breed without having it's eyes checked. Ditto for many breeds with their hips, elbows, and hearing.

The tide is turning now and more and more breeders ARE educating themselves and testing their dogs before breeding.

But also more and more dogs are being bred period, unnecessarily.
                                  ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                  Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                                    dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.
                                    LOL!!!

http://amsc.us/photo-gallery/salt-an...age=1#category
                                    ^ breed standard champions over the past 50+ years

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...pseab361a6.jpg
                                    ^ my personal dog who just became a champion

Insert gasps of shock and horror about how different he is from the original standard....is that crickets I hear? Oh ya, every dog and bitch in his pedigree is finished, and everyone has superior health testing results.

My boy has intense drive, a fantastic work ethic, and can go from 60 to 0 and cuddle with a small child or nap with my cat.

I should be so ashamed for owning a well bred dog ruined by this "sport."

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                                      Then don't watch. When I want you to advise me as to what I should r shouldn't do with my dogs, or what to watch, I'll ask. Wait, no, I won't.
                                      Laurie

Comment

Honestly, I'm usually so busy looking at the dogs I probably couldn't pick the handlers out of a lineup, let alone notice whether they're fashionable or not. I just see the shoes.

Except that one lady with a tattoo of a dog paw on her leg, and I really only noticed that because Mary Carillo said something.

My Pem Corgi is very put out that the Corgi did not win the herding group. Puff is asleep and since he is a mutt, he does not care.
                                        Author Page
                                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Working...
                                        X