• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Westminster Dog Show Monday & Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

If anybody thinks that any judge is out there thinking, "ooo, I'm putting up THAT dog because the POTUS has one" they're nuts. There are judges great, good, so-so, and crappy, but I don't think even the crappy ones do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anne FS View Post
      If anybody thinks that any judge is out there thinking, "ooo, I'm putting up THAT dog because the POTUS has one" they're nuts. There are judges great, good, so-so, and crappy, but I don't think even the crappy ones do that.
      I'd be far more inclined to think internal politics rather than Presidential level. LOL
      You are what you dare.

Comment

• I was reading Calamber's post as the American public made the PWD popularity soar and quality drop after POTUS got one. Maybe I was the one misreading it.
        You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

• To be honest, I highly doubt the Pouch Cove breeders had any change in their breeding program based on the president owning one.

Comment

• Fifi is one lovely dobe. It's one thing when you can hide the faults behind hair but when it's all out there you gotta be flawless and Fifi really is. I really liked the boxer too though it was a bit short and square for what I have been seeing. I wished they would have shown more of the Akita as that's my secret closet love breed and of course the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Terrier group! I was laughing when the bully made it a point to get the bait on the floor. I was really rooting for the Cairn terrier or the Westie, both crushes of mine. Cairn terriers are a lovely breed.

Toy dogs do have their place and I really wish someone would have told my Yorkie he was only supposed to be a companion dog! While he was only 5lbs a better ratter I have never met and a better herd dog I have met but he tried and was successful at it. I actually did obedience trials with him and he was a solid little guy. When I worked for a vet there was a fabulous shih tzu who was the epitome of her breed and a registered therapy dog. She brings comfort to everyone who touches her and that is a job.
            Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
            Originally Posted by alicen:
            What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by leilatigress View Post
              Toy dogs do have their place and I really wish someone would have told my Yorkie he was only supposed to be a companion dog!
              Your Yorkie is correctimundo. Yorkshire terriers are descended from real working terriers. In fact, they weren't even called Yorkshire Terriers, but broken-haired Scotch terriers.

Comment

• I'm with those who said it's a travesty. Have you seen what it's done to the GSD's? The Cavaliers, and even the Poodle (according to my groomer who is a breeder). I've watched Westminster for many years with excitement until I became educated. And then later couldn't find a sound GSD to save my life. Harmful, harmful breeding and some have gone beyond the tipping point.

Comment

• I hope those of you who are appalled never show hunters, do lead line classes (the horror dressing up those poor kiddies in gigantic show bows), halter classes, dressage, breed horses, or any kind of activity that is judged subjectively.
                  I don't have anything against the things I just listed, and I see no difference between breeding horses for a specific function or look and a dog show.
                  It's been in vogue for years now to sneer at purebred breeders and while some of breeds have gone off the rails - GSD's - I see way more sound dogs of my breed in the ring. Mine is not the only one.
                  You are what you dare.

Comment

• Originally posted by GotGait View Post
                    I hope those of you who are appalled never show hunters, do lead line classes (the horror dressing up those poor kiddies in gigantic show bows), halter classes, dressage, breed horses, or any kind of activity that is judged subjectively.
                    I don't have anything against the things I just listed, and I see no difference between breeding horses for a specific function or look and a dog show.
                    It's been in vogue for years now to sneer at purebred breeders and while some of breeds have gone off the rails - GSD's - I see way more sound dogs of my breed in the ring. Mine is not the only one.
                    Seriously. I bet they have a lot fewer sharps containers at dog shows than hunter shows.

And I love the terriers, but I am partial to several of the toys (including sort of crossover terriers.) Big dogs have their place but so do little ones. I have my breed distastes (unreasoning prejudice against Pomeranians, Bostons, for example) but they're just my tastes. Some people adore those breeds. I think Shar Peis are adorable, I'm sure some people think they're hideous.
                    Author Page
                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• I think the better comparison is to say -- how would you feel about a person who watches ONE horse show on TV once a year (if they don't forget about it being televised) and then comments on conformation, judging or the riding. Or better yet - for them to say "I showed a horse when I was young (30 years ago) and it was totally different back then" or "It's terrible that these <dressage> show horses don't actually get judged on important things like rounding up cattle."

Sorry, people, but that's how it sounds to those of us that actually participate in dog sports (including, but not limited to, conformation shows). Owning a dog doesn't make anyone an expert in anything but their own dog. Watching a dog show on TV and disagreeing with the BIS judge is equivalent to me watching the Olympics and saying "well, how hard is that? The horse does all the work."

Of course there are poor breeders, poor judges, and poor examples of every breed, just as there are poor trainers, riders and examples of every breed of horse. But there are also dedicated breeders, breed clubs, kennel clubs and lots and lots of doting owners who actually make breeding and exhibiting excellently bred dogs more of a priority than two evenings a year.

Comment

• Good point. Dog people get two nights a year. When the Olympics were on, how many dumb comments about "dancing horses" did everyone hear? Is it fun to listen to the uneducated masses mock your sport?
                        Has anyone heard about anything like the Humble scandal ever happening at Westminster?
                        And my point is that any high profile sport/hobby is going to have some bad apples.
                        You are what you dare.

Comment

• What is wrong is they are not breeding "some" of these dogs to their original "working" standard. Same with horse breed shows. What you get is a bastardization with a bunch of genetic issues. While your breed may be safe right now I wouldn't count on it in the future. My family has owned GSD's for over 50 years. We've had a few true quality dogs form international breeders over 30 years ago. The last 3 that I've owned were sound and had no abnormalities. My last girl had all ancestors titled in her extended pedigree. No American breeding. She was sound until the very end. Still went on trail rides with me until congestive heart failure took over. I wanted to get another. Can't trust anyone's bloodlines anymore, EU or USA. They are not good using dogs anymore. It totally broke my heart. The first time since before I was born, NONE of family owns one, me included. I bought an Aussie instead. Great pup, I like her a lot, but she's no good GSD. I'd sooner buy from BYB than one of the BNB's right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                            I'd sooner buy from BYB than one of the BNB's right now.
                            Good luck; not sure you'll be "luckier" with a breeder that doesn't do anything to test the health & soundness of their puppies. But it seems like you could certainly find a GSD breeder of working lines?

Comment

• Apparently they are just as suspect from what I've seen. And to be honest there should not be a difference. They are/were a true working dog which should have the conformation to do so whether a bench show or a trial. That seems to big the elephant in the room, breeding at odds with the standard with the judges awarding them.

They are either in over drive or roach backed or cow hocked. That is just what I can see. All the while asking at least 2k for the blatant nightmare.

Believe me when I say that the dysplasia tests mean almost nothing since it's already part of the genetic code. They don't declare the dog is free from a genetic abnormality. I am not sure about the elbows and the eyes. Guessing they are also recessive.

Comment

• I don't know anything about dogs; I like to watch Westminster and Crufts to see the variety of breeds. I don't know any of the breed criteria, either, so I can only judge them by how they look when they trot up. I stopped watching the German Shepherds after they always looked lame but so many of these animals are just beautiful dogs and every year I learn something new about one of them.

Last night I watched the Terrier group with my housemate's dog Josephine. Josephine is a German Shepherd (supposedly purebred from people who breed them as farm dogs... maybe she'll grow into it.) She was a trip- totally relaxed until she saw the Bull Terrier, and then she started play-bowing, cavorting, and trying to get it to play. Bull Terrier moved off screen, she went back to her bone. Bull Terrier back on screen, up she goes to the TV. Same with the Cairn. She didn't think any of the other dogs were worth her interest, but every time she saw the Bull Terrier or the Cairn, it was havoc.

PS, thanks to whomever posted the link to the hunting poodles- way cool! If I ever got a dog, it would be a poodle. For the past 7 years or so I've dog-sat for a poodle a few times a year, and he is the neatest dog.
                                "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

• A German Shepherd Dog can have hips rated "excellent" by OFA and still be nothing but American Showlines. A dog can have hips rated "poor" and be nothing but working lines.

You can't just look at a dog and say with any authority that they have poor hips. Or good hips. It just doesn't work that way. I did NOT like the GSD in the herding group. But you can't look at her and say that she has bad hips, based only on looking at her.

I am a German Shepherd Dog person from way back. I have owned them and trained them for just about every venue you can think of. I own one now. The things that are wrong with the breed go way beyond conformation and hips.
                                  Sheilah

Comment

• For what it's worth, a local Doberman handler I know wasn't terribly surprised that Mr. Vandiver didn't pick Fifi, and was quick to praise the Portie.

And yes, there are superstar names in the handlers, just as in the horse trainers. I am lucky enough to know a few of them. Funny, the ones I know count themselves lucky to have had the privilege of having great dogs to handle, and minimize their own considerable skill in training, conditioning, and presenting their client dogs. True sports(wo)men, and I admire them.

As it is, though - owner-handlers can and do do well in the sport. The Cavalier, Halli Galli, was owner-handled, for instance - and he made the cut.

I like Westminster, but I must admit that I really prefer watching breed judging over Groups. It is especially enlightening if you're lucky enough to see a large class being judged - then you can see what the judge is looking for at the breed level, and what the pet peeves are.
                                    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Comment

• I did a quick check on the GSD, and her hips are actually rated "good". So hock walker or not, she has good hips.
                                      Sheilah

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoRider View Post
                                        A German Shepherd Dog can have hips rated "excellent" by OFA and still be nothing but American Showlines. A dog can have hips rated "poor" and be nothing but working lines.

You can't just look at a dog and say with any authority that they have poor hips. Or good hips. It just doesn't work that way.
                                        I agree 100%. That is true of all breeds, which is why good breeders use OFA and PennHip, etc. As a prospective puppy buyer of just about any breed - you should insist on hips being evaluated (and elbows, patellas, eyes, heart, etc. depending on the breed.)

Originally posted by Emryss View Post
                                        I like Westminster, but I must admit that I really prefer watching breed judging over Groups. It is especially enlightening if you're lucky enough to see a large class being judged - then you can see what the judge is looking for at the breed level, and what the pet peeves are.
                                        I agree. The public imagines that dog shows = Westminster but many of them don't realize the breed judging that goes on before the groups. My breed only had maybe 15 entries at WKC. Not a bad one among them, but hardly a huge representation of the great dogs in our breed. You'll see more Brittanys in March at the NE Sporting Dog show; not all champions but not necessarily any less deserving of the breed win.

Comment

• I didn't get the chance to watch Westminster this year, but I noticed that Fifi the Dobe was getting some love here. I caught the rerun of Westminster 2012 on Monday night, and she was in the running for BIS. As was a very, very nice GSD.

As a recent accidental GSD owner/lover, I was highly impressed by that dog. He was cool. And, IMO, did not walk like a duck.

I know the Peke won BIS, and he certainly had presence, but I could not help but laugh at his entrance. "Yes, I am essentially a living dust mop, but I Am Awesome!" (and slow)

Comment

Working...
                                          X