• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Westminster Dog Show Monday & Tuesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Isn't the AKC pretty much like the Thoroughbred registry, the Jockey Club, in that anything bred AKC can be registered? Are there different registries within the breeds that are set up more like Warmblood registries?
    The AKC is purely and ONLY a registry of dogs. AKC is very upfront about that fact, that the only thing "AKC papers" guarantee is that both parents were also AKC registered and it is in no way a guarantee of quality or health. It's simply a registry. Period.

The Belgian Tervuren people and the Brittany people (to name 2) have a history of asking that the dog get more than a conformation title, even if it's simply an obedience title for the Tervs. I always liked that.

The German Shepherd people, well, there's a huge group who, although there are no requirements to do it, choose to only breed dogs that are OFA normal PLUS have a working title in either Schutzhund (now "IPO") or herding, and GSD herding is not at all AKC herding, not even close.

AKC has zero requirements for breeding beyond parents being registered themselves. They are very clear about that.

Comment

Ewww!!!
      It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
        I'm guessing that she WAS a paid handler, because she wasn't announced as the owner or breeder - just as "handler so & so from Nova Scotia".
        Agree, it was a very - um - interesting outfit. She must have been going for the Viking look - surprised she wasn't sporting a helmet with horns.

And I could have sworn they said "breeder/owner/handler", but maybe I am thinking of another dog. I could confirm if I could locate a handler list - breeder/owner of the BOB NE was M Nicole Casevechia.

Comment

And I was impressed that the Afghan Hound had a donut tail! Seems like more than a few top Afghans from past years barely had a curve in their tail.

Comment

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
            Agree, it was a very - um - interesting outfit. She must have been going for the Viking look - surprised she wasn't sporting a helmet with horns.

And I could have sworn they said "breeder/owner/handler", but maybe I am thinking of another dog. I could confirm if I could locate a handler list - breeder/owner of the BOB NE was M Nicole Casevechia.
            http://www.infodog.com/RESULTS/20131...2370127400.HTM

not sure which dog won but you can cross reference the catalog number...

Never mind - this is better: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...breed=norwgnek

Breeder and owner are the same...and no agent listed on the infodog site so I'll assume breeder/owner/handler....

Edited again to add -- she bred and owned the BOB and the BOS. Not too shabby. If you click on the BOS picture I think that is her handling (same outfit maybe?)

Comment

But then, none of the dogs are listed with an agent or handler, & they certainly weren't ALL being handled by their owners/breeders.

And "Best in Show" isn't determined until tonight, so which pic are you looking at? I don't see any pics with handlers for the "Best of Breed", & she didn't win "Best of Group" (the American Foxhound did). Maybe I'm missing it?

Comment

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post

Here is the video. The Elkhound is at 19:32. David Frey did say she was the breeder/owner/handler.
                http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...13/vid:2625302

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                  dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.
                  Umm, some us have breeds which do both. A friend has Brittany spaniels with titles on both ends. I know countless performance titled corgis with conformation points or titles. My obedience bitch is out with a handler at the moment. A dog related to mine went BOB for corgis.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                    But then, none of the dogs are listed with an agent or handler, & they certainly weren't ALL being handled by their owners/breeders.

And "Best in Show" isn't determined until tonight, so which pic are you looking at? I don't see any pics with handlers for the "Best of Breed", & she didn't win "Best of Group" (the American Foxhound did). Maybe I'm missing it?
                    The infodog site lists the agent if they have one.

BOS is Best of Opposite - she bred and owns both the Best of Breed and the Best of Opposite. If you look at the Breed Judging page on the Westminster site there is a win photo. Here is the BOS photo - I think that might work to bring it up directly:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...P38658102.html

All I can say is that if I bred and owned the breed and opposite winner I guess I might go on TV in my favorite outfit too....haha...ok maybe not!

Comment

Originally posted by Sail Away View Post
                      Here is the video. The Elkhound is at 19:32. David Frey did say she was the breeder/owner/handler.
                      http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...13/vid:2625302
                      Thanks! So she was her own worst enemy after all.

Comment

I am so pumped about this evening! I've been watching livestreaming non stop.

I think the BIS ring is going to be packed with some amazing dogs. I love the mix we have so far. Banana Joe came out on top of the toy group (although I have to say that I was hardcore favoring Classie) along with Honor who not surprisingly won the NS. In contrast, Bugaboo had a VERY nice class dog of theirs come out of bred-by for the group beating out Rumpus Bumpus. I hope that we have a few more big dogs like Oakley make it in along with some up and coming dogs.

Anyone else freaking out about how awesome the terrier class will be tonight??

I've seen the Russell Terrier go in person several times before (including two rBIS) and he is a total showman. Maya unsurprisingly won the border class. She's gone BIS twice in January alone so I wouldn't be surprised to see her do well. The Cairn Terrier belongs to an acquaintance of mine and is handled beautiful by Armando Morales. The two work very well together and I think they can hold their own. Sky the wire fox has been nearly unstoppable and the Skye Cooper was either the number one or number two for the breed in 2012.

My bet is for the Russell, Border, and Skye for group placements and I really hope that either the Cairn or MS gets in there as well.

Bacardi1: If you are a dobie fan you must watch! Fifi took the breed and she is truly the most breathtaking thing that I have ever seen. She commands attention and is such a showstopper. She went BBE BIS at Eukanuba and the energy in that place when she first entered the ring was unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                          The infodog site lists the agent if they have one.

BOS is Best of Opposite - she bred and owns both the Best of Breed and the Best of Opposite. If you look at the Breed Judging page on the Westminster site there is a win photo. Here is the BOS photo - I think that might work to bring it up directly:
                          http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...P38658102.html

All I can say is that if I bred and owned the breed and opposite winner I guess I might go on TV in my favorite outfit too....haha...ok maybe not!
                          Just goes to show you how much I know about dog shows - lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post

Bacardi1: If you are a dobie fan you must watch! Fifi took the breed and she is truly the most breathtaking thing that I have ever seen. She commands attention and is such a showstopper. She went BBE BIS at Eukanuba and the energy in that place when she first entered the ring was unreal.
                            Unfortunately, we're going out tonight, so I'll most likely miss all or most of it. But we'll be recording it to watch later!! Can't wait to see the Dobie. It would be nice to have one in the running for Best In Show again.

Comment

I used to get a kick out of watching Crufts. I loved the country housewife, who bathed the dog, threw them in the Range Rover, tossed on a tweed jacket, and went to the show. I imagine that that image was probably wrong, but I liked thinking it was how it happened.

When I adopted my Min. Schnauzer I noticed that he watched tv along with me. So when Westminster came on I was sitting there telling him "Look at all of your relatives". You never saw such a look out of a dog in your life. I think he thought I was nuts.

I still like the great stories behind some of the owners, and their dogs.
                              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Oh, "The Fifinator" is so stunning!!! GraceLikeRain, yes the Terrier Group is going to be awesome! Gives me goosebumps to see so much quality at one time! We will be at our final "Heeling and Attention" class tonight so will have to rush home to get in position to watch!

Comment

LOL, I finally saw "The Outfit". I swear I saw some deerskin flapping around. Well, it got her the breed!
                                  There are some really nice dogs there this year. My breed never wins anything so I'm rooting for the Dobe.
                                  You are what you dare.

Comment

Originally posted by GotGait View Post
                                    There are some really nice dogs there this year. My breed never wins anything so I'm rooting for the Dobe.
                                    Did you see the Vegas odds of Best in Show for each breed? Mine is almost the least likely to win -- 600 to 1 odds. So, I'll be rooting for someone else...have to say I love Oakley. But I'll judge the full group by how they look since I don't know much about any of the individual dogs.

http://www.visitwynn.com/documents/w..._show_odds.pdf

Have to say that the WKC did a great job on Facebook building excitement for the event and keeping us up to date on winners...

My breed is first in the ring, 8pm sharp or we'll miss it. Have to be ready early!

Have fun watching everyone!

Comment

I also have to admit that, unlike past years, we really enjoyed the "I Can Be Great" dog videos interspersed in the commercial breaks. And also that the commercial breaks were blissfully short.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                                        Did you see the Vegas odds of Best in Show for each breed? Mine is almost the least likely to win -- 600 to 1 odds. So, I'll be rooting for someone else...have to say I love Oakley. But I'll judge the full group by how they look since I don't know much about any of the individual dogs.

http://www.visitwynn.com/documents/w..._show_odds.pdf

Have to say that the WKC did a great job on Facebook building excitement for the event and keeping us up to date on winners...

My breed is first in the ring, 8pm sharp or we'll miss it. Have to be ready early!

Have fun watching everyone!
                                        My favorite breed never wins either but I'll still root for it. GO GORDON!!!!!!

Comment

1500-1 Shiba Inu. I keep hoping they will get moved out of Non-sporting (where they don't belong) where they have to compete with Bichons and Poodles. I was so hoping the breed re-org would go through and they'd be with the other spitz breeds, but it got shot down.
                                          You are what you dare.

Comment

Working...
                                          X