• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Save me! Stop dogs barking at night.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save me! Stop dogs barking at night.

I recently moved to Costa Rica, and on "base" (the compound where we live and work) we have two puppies. They're really cute and sweet and about a year old. They are very smart, have had some basic training, but definitely have some holes in their training. I intend to work on that.

One thing I'm at a loss about... they bark ALL night. How do I stop this?

I know the first step is to put a "no" on them. But what's next? My roommate will go out and get them when they start barking, but I feel like that's a reward. "If you bark, someone will wake up and come say hi to you!"

Help please!

Oh, and I'm sure shock or citronella collars are not in our budget.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Are they outside at night?
    My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

You can get the innotek refurbished spray collars on ebay for $20...might be worth it until you can start working with them and their training. Also, maybe if they came inside they wouldnt bark, or is this not allowed?

Comment

Are they crate trained? Maybe that will help them settle at night. Also, tired puppies are happy puppies! Maybe an intense play session right before bed will help them sleep through the night.

Comment

Inside (Crate) with bark collars. I feel bad for your neighbors no offense.
          I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf
            you should never punish a dog for barking.. bark collars do just that.

if you don't want them to bark, you need to bring them inside. dogs are not outside animals, and it is unfair to keep them tethered to a post outside. they are probably barking at the various animals (costa rica has a lot of interesting fauna, i've heard). dogs dont often bark just to hear themselves make noise.

if they are outside at night because of potty issues, invest in a crate for both of them.

Huh??? Ever hear of a farm dog before? How are they supposed to do their "job" if they're inside sleeping on your bed? And if you think they don't ever bark for no reason you've never met my neighbors lovely Pomeranians!

I found out that one of our dogs was nuisance barking in the kennel while we
            were at work. I bought one of the mild shock collars and it did the trick- no barking unless there was a real reason to do so.

Comment

My Great Pyrenees is most definitely NOT an inside animal! LOL I still let him in for visits but he makes a mess and wants back out within minutes!

I think I get where you're going with that but you should be more specific since there are lots of dogs that very much do belong outside.
              “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, they are outside dogs. No, they are not being treated "unfairly." In my next life, I want to come back as these dogs. They have access to the whole property to run and play and all day and night or they have a little dog house type area if they want.

We don't really have neighbors here, and only our house and the instructor's house has issues with this since they stay up here most of the night. You really don't even hear them in the student dorms (we've checked).

I'll bring up bringing them inside again. The problem is they get FILTHY and there is just no way to clean and dry them enough here. There also isn't room for two crates large enough to house these dogs comfortably. Our house is a tico house (read: itty bitty) so that wouldn't work. I'll discuss bringing them in again, but I know the two veteran girls are really against that since they make the house so much dirtier.

Can we crate them outside? I would feel bad then if other creatures came up to visit and they are stuck in their crates.

Comment

Originally posted by certifiedgirl View Post
                  Huh??? Ever hear of a farm dog before? How are they supposed to do their "job" if they're inside sleeping on your bed? And if you think they don't ever bark for no reason you've never met my neighbors lovely Pomeranians!
                  Just because the reason is unbeknownst to you does not make it any less of a reason.

And, not to start a flame war, but there is no real reason for a dog to be tied outside anymore. Farm dogs? Do you really think in a cultured society that there is a need for "full time outside dog" these days? Dogs have outlived their usefulness as far as being "outside animals" and unless there are chupecabras running amok in Costa Rica, I don't see why they belong outside. I've seen plenty of farm dogs that have "real jobs" (and I don't mean the farm dogs that lounge under the tractor all day) and they were never left outside. They always had either a bed of their own in their owner's house or a kennel in a sheltered "dog coop".

My point being these dogs are obviously not in the Himalayan steppes guarding livestock from wolves - and were very likely not bred to do so. Meaning, they do not belong outside. It is one thing if your livelihood is your livestock and you are in an underdeveloped country - those dogs differ vastly from their coddled canine cousins. If there is no place in your heart or your home for your dog, then there is no place for you to be owning one.
                  AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

And at OP, this isn't a direct attack at you, since it sounds like they were there before you ever arrived and you are just trying to help them. Try to see if you can bring them in. If they are inside at night, they will get a lot less dirty.. and probably will not bark often. Kudos to you for trying.

EDIT: Would not suggest crating them in the open, as this will make them more upset - they will be able to see everything and not be able to escape from it. My worry would be if something big came along.

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                      Just because the reason is unbeknownst to you does not make it any less of a reason.

And, not to start a flame war, but there is no real reason for a dog to be tied outside anymore. Farm dogs? Do you really think in a cultured society that there is a need for "full time outside dog" these days? Dogs have outlived their usefulness as far as being "outside animals" and unless there are chupecabras running amok in Costa Rica, I don't see why they belong outside. I've seen plenty of farm dogs that have "real jobs" (and I don't mean the farm dogs that lounge under the tractor all day) and they were never left outside. They always had either a bed of their own in their owner's house or a kennel in a sheltered "dog coop".

My point being these dogs are obviously not in the Himalayan steppes guarding livestock from wolves - and were very likely not bred to do so. Meaning, they do not belong outside. It is one thing if your livelihood is your livestock and you are in an underdeveloped country - those dogs differ vastly from their coddled canine cousins. If there is no place in your heart or your home for your dog, then there is no place for you to be owning one.
                      Not true. A friend of mine has an alpaca farm and has 8 to 10 Great Pyrs as guard dogs. They live outside and keep the coyote population down.

Comment

Reactive barking from outside dogs is something that is very difficult to train away. By the time you have woken up and gone outside, the window of fair correction has closed.

You can ignore it and just accept it as one of those things that you have to put up with when dogs are kept outside like that, or you can put bark collars on them. The collars don't have to be electric, necessarily. Citronella collars can be effective, as can collars set to vibrate. My advice would be to NOT use the type where you are giving the correction. Your timing has to be really good, and the middle of the night is not the time to work on it. Purchase the type that react automatically to the bark.

I will say that by allowing them free rein throughout the property, with the decisions being left up to them (I think you mentioned that they have free run of the property, can decide where they go and what they do), has set them up to do just what they are doing: decide when and what to do. Some of it is positive (or at least neutral), such as them running and playing together. Some is not so positive, such as them barking at night. You can't expect them to know when it is okay to do what they want, and when it is not in this situation.
                        Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                          Not true. A friend of mine has an alpaca farm and has 8 to 10 Great Pyrs as guard dogs. They live outside and keep the coyote population down.
                          I still know some people with LGDs, and they do sleep outside with their flock. I think that dogs specifically bred to guard livestock that sleep outdoors with their flock is a big difference from a dog being outside alone. In this case there are two dogs, which is much better than one being alone outside and I do realize that. I don't think that every dog should be indoors at night, but I do think that LGDs are very different from most dogs because they are bonded to their flock that they are protecting. When a dog doesn't have that flock or hasn't been bred to bond to a flock, it is a different situation.
                          As for the OP, do you know what they are barking at? If they are barking in response to noise or other animals outside, then that might be part of the problem. If it were possible to have them kenneled in an indoor area - like a garage - at night that might be easier. Other than that, the only thing that I can suggest is exercise. Even if they have a large area to run around and play, most dogs do not exercise themselves very well. If you can go outside and throw a ball for them or take them on a walk, that might help settle them a bit. Bark collars can work, but in that situation I would be a little bit afraid that if another animal could get at them, they couldn't bark or make noise to keep it away without getting shocked. I have no opposition to bark collars, but I am wondering if that wouldn't be an issue in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
                            I think that dogs specifically bred to guard livestock that sleep outdoors with their flock is a big difference from a dog being outside alone.
                            Agreed. Would certainly hope these aren't wild Kangal dogs running around in Costa Rica *-*

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. It costs a fortune to import anything here, but I'll check out ebay and see if the next person traveling here can bring some collars.

beowulf- I'm not taking offense, but you should take a trip down here and see how most dogs live. The lucky ones have someone who feeds them most days, but many just roam the streets looking for garbage to eat. These dogs are fed twice daily, get to be near us at home or in the office all day, get loved on by many people, and get to roam our large property when they're not being taken out for walks or runs. Living outside (with proper shelter if they want it) in a fair weather place like Costa Rica, is not a bad thing at all.

Oh, and bringing them in at night won't keep them any cleaner. They play in rivers all day then run and roll through the jungle. They're pretty much constantly muddy.

Thank you for those of you giving suggestions I can work with. Please notice that I'm not blaming the dogs, and I know that this is part of their normal behavior. That's why I'm asking what I can do to teach them otherwise. Because if we continue to get no sleep, none of us are going to be very forgiving or fair trainers anymore.

Comment

I'm no stranger to a rampant feral dog population. It is very sad and is never okay. I hope your supervisor is willing to work with you to make these dogs happy/healthy! In the mean time I'd love to hear what you're doing with them.

Comment

Terriers are notorious for barking, and 2 are worse than 1!

If you have the authority, put them in kennels overnight. I would get one elevated off the ground- about 2 feet, with a 'room' and a yard (also elevated) they can move out in. Our working sheep and cattle dogs are commonly kept in such units. Something like these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/services/ot...-535056790.htm

For my own dog which barked when ever he was left alone I bought a Viatek Ultrasonic bark control unit. It's wall mounted and is triggered by the dog barking and you can use it whether they are kenneled or chained.
                                  It worked very well with my dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wonders12 View Post
                                    I recently moved to Costa Rica, and on "base" (the compound where we live and work) we have two puppies.
                                    "we have two puppies", would indicate that these are your pets?

They're really cute and sweet and about a year old. They are very smart, have had some basic training, but definitely have some holes in their training. I intend to work on that.
                                    that's good.

One thing I'm at a loss about... they bark ALL night. How do I stop this?
                                    don't leave them out.

I know the first step is to put a "no" on them.
                                    By the time you hear them, and get out to them, it's to late as they are already practicing the behavior.

But what's next? My roommate will go out and get them when they start barking, but I feel like that's a reward. "If you bark, someone will wake up and come say hi to you!"
                                    go out and get them? Like bring them in? If that's the case, they should have been brought in much earlier.

From what I've read furthe down, these dogs run loose. THAT is your first problem. Most good dog trainers limit the environmental stim. These dogs aren't bonded to you if they are running loose all day, doing whatever they want. If they aren't bonded to you, they don't care about cooperating with you.

Today, in a different thread, I posted a link to Michael Ellis who is a top notch dog trainer, specializing in the protection sports (tho he does everything). One of the things he says is that if what you have isn't something the dog wants, it won't work. What do you have the dog(s) want?

there will be no quick or easy fix here.

Comment

I have two dogs on a small farm in the city. They grew up on 120 acres, and in 2 years still will bark way more than I am comfortable with if I leave them out all night. Way too many noises in the city.. So, I bring one in every night - problem solved. I rotate who gets to come in. The one left outside sleeps on the porch and is quiet. It's a dog thing... So, if you have room for one kennel, you may be able to do it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmm, I'll check about building those in-out kennels or maybe putting one in our house. I'm still not totally sure where it would fit, but I'll see if my roommates can we flexible about it. (The big problem is that they bark on one side of the house where two of us live, but since we're the two new hires, we don't get so much say.)

By "go get them" I mean she'll go outside and call them, they come running, she tells them to stop (ya, that goes exactly like it sounds), then she goes inside and off they go again. Right now the dogs are NEVER allowed in the house. (For the reason mentioned before. We already live in the jungle so the house is already challenging to keep clean.)

What do we have? Food. And pets. They really do love us and love to be around us. If you call them, they come running happily. At night they stay up by the house mainly and come sit at the front door as soon as someone is awake.

As for what they bark at: everything. Mainly people and dogs. This only became a big problem in the last few days because we have students on base. Every time they see someone they don't know walking around they start to bark. We also share a really long fence line with the neighboring property, and those dogs will come down the mountain at night to pick fence fights with our dogs. It's possible that they're barking at other animals, but I haven't heard of anything substantial that lives on/near base, so I don't know if that's correct or not.

One roommate is still out of town. I'll bring it up to everyone as a group this week.

Comment

Working...
                                        X