• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spin of spin: SubQ fluids? Like a drive-through?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Good to know about various kinds of fluids. Does the stuff with the wrong pH sting? That would suck.... especially because the human being (perpetrator) probably said "Oh, kitteh it's not that bad... man up." But it *was* That Bad! People are liars. Cats are not.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Thomas is on Lactated Ringers - I get six bags for $20 and a bag lasts a week (he gets them daily). The lines and needles I order from medvet online and a box of 100 needles is $5.95 and the lines are $1.10 apiece.

I always order enough lines and needles for several months at one time.

I started out using 18 gauge because thats what the vet gave me. Thomas did not approve and started trying to bite me when I stuck him with the needle so I ordered Terumo 21 gauge. Love them! He doesn't seem to mind at all, so needless to say, that's what I kept using.

I order the 10 drip lines with a port on them so I can give him the injectable b12 at the same time he gets his fluids. Less shots, less pills, easier for both of us. I have heard that B multi vitamins sting when going in, so I don't let the vet pre-add them to the bag.

Warming the fluids helped alot too - he likes them warmed regardless of the season so I put the bag in a sink of hot water for about 10 mins.

I got one of those over the door hangers so I could give him his fluids where he was most comfortable. He likes my bed so that's where he gets them.

I don't know if your cat likes treats but I started giving him a treat right afterwards and now he associates fluids with treats and comes running when he sees the fluid bag come out.

Since he has to have I'm glad it's something he doesn't mind. lol

Plus the all natural (hah!) Temptations are bigger than the regular ones and I can break them in half and put his pepcid in it. He never knows he's getting his meds and just thinks he gets lots of treats.

Comment

Thomas sounds like he is getting absolutely primo care! What a lucky kitty!

And I did know all that about the fluids! Thanks! I sort of figured fluid is fluid so very good to know. Mine don't mind the LR but just curious about the others.

And yes, my little girl, who I had 17 years, had been feral and was always kind of wench like during the time I had her (but absolutely adored one of my male cats, who also died of CRF). I was dreading the whole subq thing with her as even cutting her toe nails could be exciting (actually she'd just yowl if you touched her paw and of course her boyfriend would come running and I 'd have to keep him out of the way. I thought it was sweet that he was coming to rescue her from danger, but one night when I couldn't keep him back i discovered that actually he was NOT coming to rescue her but to mount her...ah, true love. But i digress...).

When doing the subq with her she was wonderful, sweet. Would sit on my lap and let me stick her and run the water. Did not complain. Would still sit when we were done. I hate CRF.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
          Good to know about various kinds of fluids. Does the stuff with the wrong pH sting? That would suck.... especially because the human being (perpetrator) probably said "Oh, kitteh it's not that bad... man up." But it *was* That Bad! People are liars. Cats are not.
          There is no "wrong" pH, its either 6.6 or 7.4, its more dependent on the buffers. I dont think the "sting"has as much to do with the pH as it does the buffer used. Some react more to the gluconate and some react more to the lactate. Most suggest starting with the Lactated Ringers as they are the cheapest, and if the kitty objects or the calcium is high to move to something like PLA or Normosol (or others with the same electrolyte balance but marketed by a different company).

Regardless which one you use, they all provide the same end result

PS, you should always change the needle every time, change the line once every 2 weeks at minimum and the bag should be tossed after 4 weeks maximum to prevent bacterial growth. As its just going SQ its not the end of the world if these arent followed, but its considered good practice

Comment

I thought it was sweet that he was coming to rescue her from danger, but one night when I couldn't keep him back i discovered that actually he was NOT coming to rescue her but to mount her...ah, true love. But i digress...).

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that one.

She sounds like she was a wonderful companion, and quite tolerant if she put up with Romeo for so long. lol 17 years is a long time! I adopted Thomas when he was 4 and he's 13 now with CRF so..... But you never know. One day at a time, and regardless of his blood work, you would never know there was anything wrong with him to look at him.

He eats good, drinks, pees and poops so I don't think he's suffering. He likes the fluids and luckily most meds are hidden in treats so he's making out ok.

I'm sorry you lost your girl - their lives are so much shorter than ours and we lose them way too soon.

Comment

My Luna didn't mind the subQ fluids a bit. The trick is to have everything you need set up before you start. When you're ready, just sit with the kitty on your lap and stick the needle in. Luna was far worse about getting the oral meds she had to take.

StG

Comment

A crazy cat lady once told me that cats don't mind shots much because they're always getting scratched and clawed by other cats anyway. Her own theory but in my experience cats are pretty good about needles.
                “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Some cats are really good for the fluids, some object a little more. There's one that I handle frequently for a vet clinic that he is usually good for the first minute and then turns into Catzilla as he perks up a bit. Honestly, I just end up scruffing him lightly or distracting him with his delicious wet cat food until I get his 100 ml in and there we go.

It's a good skill for feline people to have and doing it at home makes it far more affordable than some clients that bring kitty in frequently for $ recharge a few times a week.
                  Semi Feral

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post

PS, you should always change the needle every time, change the line once every 2 weeks at minimum and the bag should be tossed after 4 weeks maximum to prevent bacterial growth. As its just going SQ its not the end of the world if these arent followed, but its considered good practice
                    The First World-ness of this whole conversation just struck me. There are people right now who would get worse medical care than some cats with warmed SubQ fluids.

And that Thomas cat. What was wrong with him that he needed fluids every day? Geez. Oh, and did he not bother to drink himself? I mean, why get your tongue tired when someone can help you out.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

The First World-ness of this whole conversation just struck me. There are people right now who would get worse medical care than some cats with warmed SubQ fluids.

And that Thomas cat. What was wrong with him that he needed fluids every day? Geez. Oh, and did he not bother to drink himself? I mean, why get your tongue tired when someone can help you out.

No kidding!!

Comment

Yeah, First World (although right here in our own US of A there are plenty who do not have access to decent health care or living standards (visit some of our reservations sometime...). I will say,having been in Kenya, if I had anything like malaria, I would want to be treated there, where they know exactly what to do!

My grandfather and his family were up in the boonies of Canada fishing, and he stepped on a rusty nail. Of course, all the medical books say "GET TO AN MD, ANTIBIOTICS", all that, except they were way up there with Native guides, three days and two nights from a whistle stop where the train got them. His guides had him cram a coffee bean up the wound and walk on it. Seemed pretty awful but when they pulled the bean out, all the pus came out with it as the wound had been able to drain. He was fine. I''m not saying at all that First World medicine isn't awesome and that most of us are really really frigging lucky to have access to it, but sometimes other traditions have things to offer too!

I feel very lucky and blessed that I do have health care and that I can provide for my animals. Certainly cannot say that "price is no object - HARDLY!!" but can get them basic health care, vet appts, etc. And make that a priority. And it makes is so much easier to think I have done every thing I can do (not necessarily that can be done, but that I can and am willing do). My mom, caring for a 23+yo donkey, gives her (the donkey) four soaked pellet meals a day, with various additions, sometimes supplements, medications. And baths and soakings and handwalks - am sure miss Indy (donkey) gets better care than many people (and its great for my mom )

As far as Thomas (love that kitty name!) and daily subq - as I understand it at a certain point they just can't drink enough. The kidneys just don't work so well, and subq really helps with hydration and keeps them so much more comfortable. My girl was on daily subq for quite a while.

Comment

• Original Poster

^^^

The coffee bean/puss/wound story is so bada$$! Thanks for that.

So.... a cat can't drink enough to keep up with failing kidneys. But they can pee enough if you stuff fluids in somehow?

And how come injected fluids goes to the guy for the Stopped Up cat, rather than all coming out as pee?
                          The armchair saddler
                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Sooooo jealous of all of you that have cooperative kitties!

My *personal* cat is IMPOSSIBLE to give SQ fluids to (and my DH is a vet too, so I have extremely qualified help - LOL). We tried, no restraint, tuna/treats while giving SQ fluids, little restraint, "purrito" (love that term BTW) and he is awful. Yowls, bites wiggles, kicks, screams - totally freaked out our other cat (ha). We were trying to give him SQ fluids once or twice a week for his CRF.

So, what we do instead is give him "soup" twice a day - part of a can of cat food (Friskies - of course he wouldn't eat any of the renal diets) mixed with water (way more water than food). We give it to him in the kitties bathroom and close the door so the other cat doesn't bother him. He gained weight and is doing fine....

I'm always teaching people how to do SQ fluids on their cat, so of course I would have the impossible cat.....LOL

Comment

• Original Poster

animal doc.... why don't you give that cat some Ace or Dormosodan or the equivalent. I know you can't hog-tie a cat, but as a horser and a DVM, it seems to me that you have toolz that the rest of us don't.

Or have you been brought to your knees by a cat? If so, no shame. Old Lady Cat used to WIN the battle of pilling. And I had no qualms about using techniques on her that worked on 1,000#-ers. The 14# cat kicked my butt six ways to Sunday.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Lol - he's a lazy butt.

Actually he drinks more than he ever has, but not enough to keep him hydrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X