• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The "Cats are murderers" in the news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The "Cats are murderers" in the news

    So, lately I have seeing these stories about how cats are responsible for "billions" of small animal deaths per year, and in fact are responsible for the extinction of several birds, etc.

    Ok, I get it. Cats are hunters, and people need to spay and neuter.

    I have not seen the statistics, and the "studies" the articles site seem a bit ambiguous. I just feel that cats always seem to get the bad rap.

    What about buildings made of glass? Wind turbines? Airplanes? Dogs? Foxes? Coyotes? There are lots of reasons for birds and small animal deaths.

    I just find it hard to imagine that it is primarily cats causing all of this. And I guess I am naive, but I can't fathom how, outside of studying a closed population, one can prove that cats are the primary murderer of thes species?


    Ok now for the good part. One of my little barn kitties went missing about 2 months ago. She is a timid, stick right close to the barn type, so I feared the worst.

    I looked far and wide, called til I was hoarse, for weeks.

    Saturday morning at 5 am, she staggered onto the back porch. No injuries, but emaciated.

    We've been feeding her small meals, and she's doing great.

    The first meal we gave her she purred and whimpered while she ate, she was so hungry.

    Pretty sure she missed out on murdering many things.

    It just got me to thinking about these people who malign "strays, ferals, etc."

    I can't imagine what she went through and I am HAPPY she's home and safe, but I'm REALLY glad she didn't run into someone who thought she was a murderer to be gotten rid of.

    Rant over.

    Oh, and she's spayed and up to date on all her shots.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

  • #2
    Congrats on your getting your barn kitty back!

    Murdering cats: well, isn't that why we have barn cats? To keep the vermin down to a dull roar? I'm quite happy for my two to take out those stupid sparrows that poop over everything. I'm also happy to find the occasional beheaded rat (don't ask, it's kind of gross and I'm not sure why i always insist on properly identifying dead things)

    Now, I have to admit, one of my cats does sit up the hay waiting for those poor little barn swallows to try to fly for the first time. It does seem a bit unfair. The parents do "rain on his parade" as best they can. Good thing they seem to have lots and lots of babies....

    So, when someone you know complains about "murdering cats", just say well **ll yes, that's their JOB.

    Comment


    • #3
      http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
      Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

      Comment


      • #4
        Cats breed faster than dogs and tend to survive longer and in greater numbers as ferals. They're also much more efficient hunters. They outnumber coyotes and also don't hunt the same things (coyotes are not big into smaller songbirds, for example.) They really aren't a good thing to introduce to an ecosystem, and in some places where there aren't a lot of small ground predators (like New Zealand) they've been terribly destructive to rare and endangered ground-dwelling birds that didn't evolve dealing with ground predators.

        So yeah, they're a nasty invasive and they kill a lot of small birds and mammals. Most of them shouldn't be outdoors (and the ones that are, in addition to predating, are at risk of getting predated themselves--coyotes aren't all that interested in warblers, but they WILL snack on cats if they can catch them.) They don't serve much of a purpose in the wild, and ought to be spayed, neutered, and kept under control. But one that gets lost is a lot more likely to run into a coyote, a dog, get run over by a car, get injured and die of the infection, than be found by someone who'd shoot her or take her to the pound.
        Author Page
        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
        Steampunk Sweethearts

        Comment


        • #5
          Feral cats are the majority of the issue, not owned cats.

          But, yes, they are killers and they can devastate songbird populations. It's one of the main reasons my two cats are indoor-only pets, aside from their own safety.

          Comment


          • #6
            well, there are populations of small felines in many places of the world, of course, 'Down Under' had to be spechul...


            Yes, they kill stuff. but murder? sheesh...

            Anyhow, I keep thinking, when a bird gets caught by a cat, he needed killin...

            Having said this.. I am about to put a bounty on them damn squirels...cat is getting lazy!

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.voxfelina.com/2013/02/gar...n-garbage-out/

              Comment

              • Original Poster

                #8
                Exactly

                And add to this, the average lifespan of a free roaming feral cat is between 18 months and 3 years.

                I'd love to spay an neuter every stray cat, and I spay or neuter every stray that has come onto my property over the years( more than 40 over the last 7 years or so.

                I think my point being that it is really hard to prove that cats are so destructive in this country (again outside of closed populations, and I have heard of the problems in New Zealand and Austrailia)

                As far as invasive species, at this point how may species are invasive?

                I'm just saying that to point to cats as the primary perpetrator is a bit one sided.

                In addition to this, I guess I it seems that it is almost in some cases, considered masculine or acceptable to be cruel to cats, but everyone wants to help dogs.
                My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
                You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

                Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It is sad that cats always get a bad rap. And it's seems more socially acceptable to hate cats but not dogs... I don't get it either.
                  I LOVE my Chickens!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So wasn't the killing of cats the main cause of the Plague back in the Dark ages? People killed the cats, the rats population exploded, spread the Plague, and millions of people died. I know if we didn't have the cats we would have a HUGE rodent problem on this farm.
                    Patty
                    www.rivervalefarm.com
                    Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I've often wondered, if cats are such efficient killers, why am I overrun with birds on my farm and why do I have mouse traps strategically set in the house? I have four cats, two strictly indoors and 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
                      Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Both high-quality sources are very much appreciated.

                        Originally posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
                        I've often wondered, if cats are such efficient killers, why am I overrun with birds on my farm and why do I have mouse traps strategically set in the house? I have four cats, two strictly indoors and 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
                        According to the Oatmeal piece, it's only 1 of 3 cats that exerts himself (and more usually, herself) to become a gratuitous serial killer.

                        You got some slackers with your set being unfortunate, but within statistical limits. Maybe you should get some more cats.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
                          I've often wondered, if cats are such efficient killers, why am I overrun with birds on my farm and why do I have mouse traps strategically set in the house? I have four cats, two strictly indoors and 2 indoor/outdoor cats.
                          Make sure you feed your cats well. If cats are having to hunt for food, they will try to conserve energy and not hunt for fun. Also, in my experience female cats make better mousers.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have to say I hate this simple (stupid) "the cat is the killer" kind of articles. And Jetsmom, thanks for the GREAT Vox article!!!! Yes, agenda-driven, playing "find the villan" as a form of wildlife managment has just been disasterous for so many species ("lets kill all the coyotes and cougars and wolves, oh......wait.....where'd all the deer come from? Wow, its like we're overRUN!!!!")

                            Yes, kill off all the cats, label them as "nasty" and whatever (just as we have done with species before them), then we'll have a whole set of new problems. RATS! MICE! (and whatever they may be carrying) Maybe we should focus on the damage MAN is doing to the environment on so many fronts before getting our little knickers in a twist about evil cats.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lilitiger2 View Post
                              I have to say I hate this simple (stupid) "the cat is the killer" kind of articles. And Jetsmom, thanks for the GREAT Vox article!!!! Yes, agenda-driven, playing "find the villan" as a form of wildlife managment has just been disasterous for so many species ("lets kill all the coyotes and cougars and wolves, oh......wait.....where'd all the deer come from? Wow, its like we're overRUN!!!!")

                              Yes, kill off all the cats, label them as "nasty" and whatever (just as we have done with species before them), then we'll have a whole set of new problems. RATS! MICE! (and whatever they may be carrying) Maybe we should focus on the damage MAN is doing to the environment on so many fronts before getting our little knickers in a twist about evil cats.

                              AMEN!

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Thank you!

                                I'm not saying cats don't kill, I am just saying that is seems that cats are often made to be villains, and in many cases cruelty to cats is often considered humorous, but you never hear these types of things about dogs.

                                Even the humane societies and animal welfare groups seem to favor dogs. The next commercial you see for a humane society, count the dog to cat ratio.

                                Have you ever heard someone say, "it's just a barn dog?"

                                Admittedly I am more of a cat person, though I love dogs. Sometimes though I just get REALLY tired of cats getting the bad rap.

                                Originally posted by lilitiger2 View Post
                                I have to say I hate this simple (stupid) "the cat is the killer" kind of articles. And Jetsmom, thanks for the GREAT Vox article!!!! Yes, agenda-driven, playing "find the villan" as a form of wildlife managment has just been disasterous for so many species ("lets kill all the coyotes and cougars and wolves, oh......wait.....where'd all the deer come from? Wow, its like we're overRUN!!!!")

                                Yes, kill off all the cats, label them as "nasty" and whatever (just as we have done with species before them), then we'll have a whole set of new problems. RATS! MICE! (and whatever they may be carrying) Maybe we should focus on the damage MAN is doing to the environment on so many fronts before getting our little knickers in a twist about evil cats.
                                My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
                                You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

                                Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                  Cats breed faster than dogs and tend to survive longer and in greater numbers as ferals. They're also much more efficient hunters. They outnumber coyotes and also don't hunt the same things (coyotes are not big into smaller songbirds, for example.) They really aren't a good thing to introduce to an ecosystem, and in some places where there aren't a lot of small ground predators (like New Zealand) they've been terribly destructive to rare and endangered ground-dwelling birds that didn't evolve dealing with ground predators.

                                  So yeah, they're a nasty invasive and they kill a lot of small birds and mammals. Most of them shouldn't be outdoors (and the ones that are, in addition to predating, are at risk of getting predated themselves--coyotes aren't all that interested in warblers, but they WILL snack on cats if they can catch them.) They don't serve much of a purpose in the wild, and ought to be spayed, neutered, and kept under control. But one that gets lost is a lot more likely to run into a coyote, a dog, get run over by a car, get injured and die of the infection, than be found by someone who'd shoot her or take her to the pound.
                                  One could say that humans too are nasty invasives and kill a lot of animals, rendering entire species extinct. I mean, if you want to spay and neuter a destructive species and keep it under control ...

                                  Oh, wait ... which species is it that passed laws against just that?
                                  Rack on!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Rackonteur View Post
                                    One could say that humans too are nasty invasives and kill a lot of animals, rendering entire species extinct. I mean, if you want to spay and neuter a destructive species and keep it under control ...

                                    Oh, wait ... which species is it that passed laws against just that?
                                    PETA...

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Brandy76 View Post
                                      So, lately I have seeing these stories about how cats are responsible for "billions" of small animal deaths per year, and in fact are responsible for the extinction of several birds, etc.

                                      Ok, I get it. Cats are hunters, and people need to spay and neuter.

                                      I have not seen the statistics, and the "studies" the articles site seem a bit ambiguous. I just feel that cats always seem to get the bad rap.

                                      What about buildings made of glass? Wind turbines? Airplanes? Dogs? Foxes? Coyotes? There are lots of reasons for birds and small animal deaths.

                                      I just find it hard to imagine that it is primarily cats causing all of this. And I guess I am naive, but I can't fathom how, outside of studying a closed population, one can prove that cats are the primary murderer of thes species?


                                      Ok now for the good part. One of my little barn kitties went missing about 2 months ago. She is a timid, stick right close to the barn type, so I feared the worst.

                                      I looked far and wide, called til I was hoarse, for weeks.

                                      Saturday morning at 5 am, she staggered onto the back porch. No injuries, but emaciated.

                                      We've been feeding her small meals, and she's doing great.

                                      The first meal we gave her she purred and whimpered while she ate, she was so hungry.

                                      Pretty sure she missed out on murdering many things.

                                      It just got me to thinking about these people who malign "strays, ferals, etc."

                                      I can't imagine what she went through and I am HAPPY she's home and safe, but I'm REALLY glad she didn't run into someone who thought she was a murderer to be gotten rid of.

                                      Rant over.

                                      Oh, and she's spayed and up to date on all her shots.
                                      That's wonderful that she returned home. Sounds like she got shut in somewhere. One of mine used to go walkabout and disappeared for 3 weeks, came home in the same condition. She stuck around home for a couple of months, then disappeared again about 2 years ago. I keep hoping she's OK and will find her way home.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Brandy76 View Post
                                        I'm not saying cats don't kill, I am just saying that is seems that cats are often made to be villains, and in many cases cruelty to cats is often considered humorous, but you never hear these types of things about dogs. Even the humane societies and animal welfare groups seem to favor dogs. The next commercial you see for a humane society, count the dog to cat ratio. Have you ever heard someone say, "it's just a barn dog?"
                                        That's absolutely true. However, I think the Smithsonian piece isn't just a slander on cats, but another POV on the situation of ferals particularly, one that's sorely needed right now, as TNR becomes the feline version of no-kill, where you either agree with them completely or you're a POS who wants animals to die.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X