• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The dog is growling at my daughter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dog is growling at my daughter

I need help. Our dog, who we have had since she was 4 months old and DD was 3ish, has become food and toy aggressive with our daughter.

I have worked with her, I can take any toy, any food, anything out of this dog's mouth. She ha never shown food aggression towards me or my husband.

This happens when our daughter is just walking near the dog and I'm not in the room. She is under strict instruction not to take things from the dog, or basically do anything with the dog when we're not watching.

Btw this dog adores her otherwise. She taught the dog to climb the ladder and slide down the slide. My daughter is very mild mannered and doesn't tug on the dog, or otherwise taunt or tease her.

Tonight she had a rawhide, and was upstairs. My daughter went upstairs and walked by. I heard the dog growl and I called my daughter down. We went up together and I told dog to drop it, she did, I took the rawhide. I praised her for dropping, and gee it back. Rinsed and repeated with my daughter standing with me.

Can you help me figure this out?

I would personally ask your vet for a recommendation to a professional. Resource guarding is common, but when you have a child in the home you really want to be extra careful.
    Personally, I would not give high value items like rawhide to this dog. I don't know how you have addressed this behavior in the past but I would work on adding more exciting things into the food bowl or have her bring you a toy and give her something much better and then give the toy back. I would probably feed this dog in a crate to be on the safe side. Go by and add more exciting things and work up to having your daughter add more exciting things to the food from a safe distance.
    Be careful, look for positive ways to work on this, and get professional help. It is a common thing for dogs to do, but the growling is an indicator that something that you are doing isn't working well for this dog. I would suspect that maybe you have influenced taking things away too much instead of emphasizing that people close to her valued stuff will bring even better stuff, but not being there that may not be the case.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I have an email in to a trainer friend of mine. I definitely want to nip this in the bud, we have had have for almost 3 years now and obviously she is a family member but when it comes to my daughter, oh heck no!

Comment

Where does the dog sleep at night? If she sleeps in your room and your daughter has her own room, I'd start keeping the dog in a non-bedroom area at night. She may consider herself to be ranked above your daughter because she gets to sleep with the pack leaders and the kid doesn't.

Comment

• Original Poster

It depends. Sometimes she's with us, sometimes downstairs on her own.

She has seperation anxiety, which is something else we are working on.

This is the second rawhide she's ever had, I wonder if this "new" thing is too precious to her. I can't remember if it was a toy or a treat she growled before, I kind of think it was a bone that she doesn't chew, really. She more or less runs around outside with it and tosses it around and acts a fool.

Comment

When I first got my dog he did resource guarding to me twice. One time out of a dead sleep, so I thought I had startled him and another time I just went to walk by him (that time he had a rawhide).

I talked to the behaviorist at my school and she had me practice drop it, but give a treat in exchange, so it wasn't like he was loosing something. He was getting something better in exchange. I only had to do a few session like this and he figured it out quick. It was odd though because I never locked his toys away from him or anything. Now of course he didn't always have a rawhide and really doesn't get them much at all. If he ever does get a rawhide, I usually do the exchange of a treat for a rawhide to reinforce not to guard "his stuff". Its been well over 9-10 months since the last offense (I have only had him for a year).

I wonder if something happened between the two of them that you don't know of or why he feels like he must protect his toys from her.

I agree with talking with a trainer/behaviorist for sure. You want to nip this in the bud before it escalates.

I was very proactive with my dog since he tends to be dog agressive. I knew he had that dominant side to him. He had also lived in a kennel for 2 year before I got him so he never had anything of his own which I think lead to his behavior and had also never lived in a house etc.
            I love cats, I love every single cat....
            So anyway I am a cat lover
            And I love to run.

Comment

• Original Poster

Eta: my DD is now 5 and the dog is probably close to three, I think. My memory is so bad, I can't remember!

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                Eta: my DD is now 5 and the dog is probably close to three, I think. My memory is so bad, I can't remember!
                Hmm I wonder if the dog always felt dominate over your daughter when she was younger, but now that she is getting older feel threatened. Do you ever have your daughter do an basic obedience work with the dog. I wonder if you started doing this obviously under your supervision if that would help establish her as an alpha to the dog.
                I love cats, I love every single cat....
                So anyway I am a cat lover
                And I love to run.

Comment

I have a very resource guarding dog, a real worry wort....In my experience the only thing that works with her is to beef her up, I feed her more, I put her in a safer place with her toys, I play with her more, I take her for more one on one walks... No amount of negative or crackdown domineering work did any good; When she gets freaky about wanting to guard things I put more abundance in her world and she sweetens right up. For my dog, it's not a dominance thing, it's a "please don't take it, I don't have enough" thing...
                  “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

• Original Poster

This dog is submissive to the bone. I mean, she is the most submissive dog I have ever seen.

She is high energy, and we work on that. I have some kids who come and walk her and play with her during the day (with their mom's supervision, these are older kids), and she is played with hard in the am and pm when I'm outside with the horses. She could probably use more exercise but there are just not enough hours in the day.

My daughter does SOME "fun" stuff with her. Like, the teaching her to climb the ladder and slide down the slide. That was accomplished because this dog wants to please us (and our daughter) that she will basically do anything she can to be near us. You can do anything with this dog. My daughter wants to do more (walk her, etc) but doggie is too strong right now. They both weigh the same. lol.

When my daughter has a treat she wants to give her, she knows that the dog must do "something" and she does. She knows a ton of tricks, we taught them to her when we went through Reactive class (she is happy-excited-inappropriate-reactive to other dogs). She has also been through CGC (passed everything but supervised separation) and we started Agility but with all the dogs it was a disaster, and I was just recovering from a bowel surgery so her pulling and acting like an idiot was not good for my recovering tummy.

Comment

Sounds totally like mine. High energy, very sensitive and very submissive. My chi puppy pushes her around. She's bonded with my 12 year old daughter and does anything she asks but when she's worried about food she gets freaky.

I am so not a dog trainer-I've learned a lot here and part of what I do with my fear resource-guarding dog I learned here. Wait until 3dogs and wendy and others show up b/c I"m not a dog trainer, but if it were me in the situation, I would put the dog in a safe zone with her chew treat where nobody will walk by or disrupt her prize and maybe give it to her on a scheduled basis where she knows what to expect. Pull her off with another treat.

Otherwise I bow out-I'm very happy that I've been able to manage my freaky dog and I won't pretend to know that works for us will work for another. My kids are older-10-13ish to my dog's 3 years old and home raised.
                      “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

This may seem silly but I have used this and it worked. Your dog is trying to establish the pecking order now that they weigh app the same. When you go to feed the dog . Take the bowl, in front of the dog and pretend to eat some food from it. Then hand the bowl to your daughter and have her do the same thing. then have her put the bowl down for the dog. In my experience it worked very well to explain in dog style how the pecking order works in your pack...
                        Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

Hasn't the whole Alpha dog pecking order thing been debunked?

Comment

It may be but I have used it and had friends try it and it worked perfectly, so I would not dismiss it.
                            Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

yes it has.

Resource guarding has absolutely nothing to do with "pack rank" or "alpha dog-ness". Most dogs who resource guard are anxious, fearful types, the exact opposite of the myth about the "alpha dominant dog". Confident, bold, pushy dogs are far less likely to resource guard because they don't feel they have to.

Resource guarding is actually a sign of fear/anxiety in the dog- the dog is afraid someone is going to take away his precious thing, he's anxious the child will take away his thing- that's why he growls. He's not anxious about YOU taking away his stuff, he's just anxious and afraid that the CHILD will do so. Why, we may never know. The child probably did something you didn't notice. Anyway, the cure is to relieve the anxiety- teach the dog that the CHILD won't come and forcibly take away his stuff.

Since the child is so young, and you really don't want to risk a bite, I'd suggest keeping the dog and child physically separated while the dog eats. Put the dog in a crate or another room so the dog can relax and enjoy his chews. Don't leave the chews lying around where the child can accidentally get hold of them- the dog might notice before you do and react badly.

And work on anti-resource guard training: you teach the dog that GOOD STUFF happens to dogs who let little kids take their stuff, and usually the dog gets the stuff back as well as having been given good stuff.
                              If the dog has a good "drop it" command, start by getting something you don't think the dog will guard, some low value toy, and ask the dog to "Drop it", then let the kid hand the dog some treats and give the toy back to the dog. Gradually work up to having the dog drop rawhide when the child says "Drop it", and the child then gives the dog really good treats and gives the rawhide back. Don't do this too much or it may make the dog more anxious that you're going to be constantly taking his belongings away- do it once, then give him the rawhide and leave him in peace to eat it.

Work on teaching the kid to leave the dog alone when the dog is eating, too. Give the dog some respect, and this will help ensure the dog's anxiety about the kid taking his stuff is unfounded.

Whatever you do, don't punish or discipline the dog for resource guarding- you can make dogs so much worse by doing that. Induce actual, real, very scary aggression. And NEVER forcibly take things away from the dog. That just teaches him that he needs to resource guard even harder.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                Why would it be? There definitely IS ranking among most social animals, wolves included.

Just because one social phenomena doesn't explain everything is no reason to throw it out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wendy thank you!!!

Going to work on this immediately.

Comment

Would it make sense to incorporate child into the giving of resources?

Modified NILF? I know she's young, but if she were involved in feeding the dog, giving the toys, etc, would that help?
                                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by spacytracy View Post
                                      This dog is submissive to the bone. I mean, she is the most submissive dog I have ever seen.
                                      Not if she is showing aggression to your daughter.

Our dog was like this to our kids when they were younger ( protecting her stuff). We had the kids many years before this dog. She never offered to bite and she never did it to my husband or myself. Now that my kids are teens she seems to like them better and her behavior is still the same but she does it in play. I would leave the dog alone and teach your daughter how to behave with the dog ( under no circumstances take something from her). It is what we did.

Comment

My dogs only get treats that they can eat in a few seconds. I stopped the chews and bones when they started to show this behavior toward the cats. They have never felt the need to guard their food bowls or toys. Does your dog really need a long lasting treat?
                                        My blog: Crackerdog Farm

Comment

Working...
                                        X