• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dog Dementia? Anyone with experiences to share?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Dementia? Anyone with experiences to share?

Hi All,

I have posted here before about my Pit Bull, Cayden. We are having some issues. I got a full blood work up/chem panel done on him and everything checked out fine or close enough to normal to not be alarming, except he had some hookworms which we treated. However, I had all that done because he is off. Just not right. Basic rundown of things that have changed or are not his normal behavior:

He has been having accidents in the house
    Rolling in nasty stuff (not normal for him)
    He stares off into space often and seems to "check out"
    He goes off and on his food - will eat normal one day then will just pick at it another day
    He has been chewing on stuff and getting into things he never used to get into - like he never used to beg or steal food that was sitting around but now he does it often
    He is increasingly getting more and more nervous/anxious/timid
    He doesn't come when called as responsively as he used to - ex: the other day he ran into the neighbors yard and instead of coming when I called him, he kept wandering around and wound up pooping in their yard then ran away from me (knowing I was angry he didn't listen, I'm sure)

I've had to start crating him again when we are not home and at night because otherwise he pees on the carpet and sometimes poops on the carpet as well.

He just is not his normal self. He's never been a "normal" dog but he is getting more strange as the days pass. Of course, my mom worries that with him being a Pittie, that he will snap one day and go crazy. I don't see that happening - he doesn't have a mean bone in his body - but I am seriously concerned that he could be experiencing early dementia.

He still recognizes family members, he still knows commands, etc.... but the signs are starting to point to dementia to me... Vet is still puzzled, doesn't really know what could be going on and I don't have several thousands of dollars to do MRIs and Cat Scans and take him to a Vet Neurologist...

So, basically, does anyone have experience with dog dementia? Does this sound like the beginning of it? Is treatment effective?

I had a Yorkie with this 12 years ago. He did the "checking out" thing. He was blind but still managed to get around well. The thing that made me take him to the vet was when he started walking circles and bumping into things. That is when I took him in and we got the diagnosis.

He had one day that was really, really bad and his anxiety level was really high and he was endlessly circling. That is the day I had him PTS.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

I and some other posters had good results with anipryl. It's also VERY affordable and at least with my dog, worked pretty quickly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you Mara & Amwrider. I will have to call the vet and see about getting an Anipryl prescription. It probably won't hurt him anyway and at this point is worth trying. He's only about 6 1/2-7 yrs old so it stinks to think that he may already be exhibiting dementia, but that is the only thing I can come up with. I was thinking he'd had a stroke but strokes are really rare in dogs and typically end up killing the dog not too long after the actual stroke according to my vet. Which leaves dementia. *Sigh*

Comment

Strokes aren't all that rare in dogs (or not at least working for a neurologist.) He is a little young for dementia...he may have a brain tumor (doesn't have to be cancer, at this age usually a menengioma. I just took a 6 year old dog to an MRI last week that was having behavior changes and that is what he had as well. Most of us don't have the money for an MRI, but if you see a neurologist, you can medically treat the right thing. Maybe if the anipryl doesn't help?

Comment

Originally posted by Beckham03 View Post
            Strokes aren't all that rare in dogs (or not at least working for a neurologist.) He is a little young for dementia...he may have a brain tumor (doesn't have to be cancer, at this age usually a menengioma. I just took a 6 year old dog to an MRI last week that was having behavior changes and that is what he had as well. Most of us don't have the money for an MRI, but if you see a neurologist, you can medically treat the right thing. Maybe if the anipryl doesn't help?
            I agree - he seems too young for dementia. Very young. I would get a referral to a neurologist. There is nothing saying you have to persue any diagnostics, but talking to someone with more knowledge than a regular vet is a good idea. They may be able to give you different drug trials, and "probable" diagnoses with (hopefully) a good treatment plan.

Comment

• Original Poster

I will see if I can get an estimate on prices from the canine neurologist ... though even the $300 vet bill for all the bloodwork put a huge dent in my bank account so I just don't know if I can afford to take him in for tests that may not show anything. An MRI might be the best bet if I could get one done reasonably. Will have to do some research.

Comment

NOVAFIT is another drug for cognitive function. My daughter is trying it on her 14 1/2 yr old border collie. She has seen some improvement. He has a multitude of problems due to old age. She is just trying to give him the best quality in the time he has left.

Comment

What part of KY are you in? My clinic also runs a clinic in Cinci and I used to work for the neurologist who is there. She is a very nice, caring doctor...and would be honest with you and not push you into stuff you don't want to do or could not afford. I would drive there and trust her with my own dogs.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am actually back in PA - SE PA (Chester County) actually. Thank you though!

Side note, he peed in the family room again this evening. We are all here, he had just gone out a bit before, and I go out there and he had peed on the carpet. He then proceeded to sit on the rug and zone out - sat down, took a step forward then backward with his front legs, put his head almost to the ground and started moving it side to side. When my mom called my name so I could come see him doing it, he perked up and then when she said his name, he turned and looked at her - so hearing my name must have zapped him out of it. IDK It is just so bizarre and really worries me.

Comment

I think before you set your mind towards a MRI, go talk to a neurologist. Nerve defecits, which can be done by physical exam (no imaging) can also tell you a lot whats going on. Doing your own research is fine, but often you will get extreme right and left wings. Consult fees are generally very affordable, well worth the money to have someone that has a specialty in veterinary neurology put their hands on your dog.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                        I think before you set your mind towards a MRI, go talk to a neurologist. Nerve defecits, which can be done by physical exam (no imaging) can also tell you a lot whats going on. Doing your own research is fine, but often you will get extreme right and left wings. Consult fees are generally very affordable, well worth the money to have someone that has a specialty in veterinary neurology put their hands on your dog.
                        This. I think consults here are still around $188, just to give you a ballpark figure. They may not even recommend an MRI...but at least it would get you heading in the right direction.

Comment

Our almost 16 year old JRT seems to be increasingly senile. Still very into food, but sleeps deeply for long periods of time. She will go up to us, and beg to be petted, but sometimes when we do she gets violent and aggressive. Usually she can find the doggie door and the backyard, but she's had a few "accidents." Vet has her on some meds, but I don't remember the name, and am honestly too tired to get up and look right now. It's been that kind of day.
                          It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Working...
                          X