• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Going on vacation - two options for kitty. Opinions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on vacation - two options for kitty. Opinions?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with my kitty when I go on vacation for 9 days later this month.

Option #1 - Friend has offered to have kitty stay at their place. Kitty knows friend well. However, friend has recently gotten a new dog which friend says is fine with cats. I expressed concern since dog is new and big so friend said no problem - will keep cat and dog separated - however I am still concerned. Kitty is fine with dogs.

Option #2 - Kitty can go to a kitty boarding facility. Kitty actually has a reservation there already so if I cancel, I lose my deposit (I'm ok with this). Kitty will have a floor to ceiling cat condo with a big bright window to look out of and 5 levels to hang out on. Kitty will be let out to play in larger area once per day.

What should I do? My kitty is a middle aged, laid back dude. I'd like for him to go to friend's house, but I am concerned about friend's new dog.

Nine days? Send the cat to boarding. There would be no question in my mind. I would never leave my cats in someone's house where there are dogs. I don't really care what the dog's owner says about his "friendliness" to cats. I simply do not trust any dog not to chase or attack a strange cat.

Comment

There may be a third option. Check with your vet and see if she/he can recommend a good in home catsitter. They don't have to stay there all the time, just check in once or twice a day to check refresh food and water and clean the litter box. That way the cat gets to stay home in familiar surroundings, which can be very important for cat psyche. I have an excellent sitter. She also brings in the mail, lowers and raises the shades morning and night and feeds the birds. In the winter, the fact that there are human tracks in the snow around the outside of the house gives the house a more lived in look and in the summer she adds watering the potted plants to her agenda. It might be a little more expensive, especially if you have them come twice a day and do the extra stuff, but it's worth it, both for your peace of mind and the cat's comfort.

If you can't do that, then definitely board. I wouldn't trust any dog that isn't familiar with my cat.
      If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
      Desmond Tutu

Comment

Visiting cat sitter is the way to go if possible. If not, I'd definitely choose boarding over at friend's house with new dog. That sounds way too stressful for kitty.
        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• Original Poster

I can definitely have my boyfriend come once or twice a day and check on/feed/clean litter of kitty in my own home. I didn't really think of that option. Kitty is very social and loves to be around people but I don't think that boyfriend would mind coming over and hanging out for 1/2 hr or so a day. I didn't think of that! is 9 days too long to leave kitty without more than 1/2 hr - 1hr of human interaction per day?

Comment

I think kitty will be just fine with that arrangement. And much more at ease in his/her own home. I have 4 cats, so they keep each other company when we're away but we have this same arrangement with our sitter and they do fine.
            What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Depends on the kitty. I used to leave my cat for weekends and she 1) got into my closet and chewed holes in my sweaters and 2) after I locked the closet, crawled under my comforter and chewed holes in the blankets. She went to a kitty sitter after that.

Comment

Depends on the kitty. Some would be too stressed leaving home for that length of time, no matter how nice. Others will be too stressed being by themselves at home with out "mom". Ours never go out to board, someone always comes here to feed them. But, there are several of them and while they do get lonely, I think they are much happier at home. Same with my Dad's cats - I go feed them 1-2 times a day, depending on if I have to let them out/bring them in when it's nice weather, and they miss their mom and dad, but are quite alright with their familar setting

Comment

If kitty handle boarding I would choose that option. Sounds like a nice place and there will be someone there and kitty will have company all day. I would skip the friend's place, kitty isn't familiar with the house and too much chance of kitty getting confused or upset and getting out. If you had more than one cat I would agree with the pet sitter but since kitty will be alone 24/7 I think kitty will get lonely.
                  "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

Personally, I try to avoid boarding my house pets (dogs in my case). If your kitty had health issues such that she needed daily meds or whatever, boarding at the vet clinic might be on the list. But if she's otherwise healthy, I would guess she'd be much happier at home in her usual surroundings.

In your situation, I'd try to have someone (BF, pet sitter) come to the house. Maybe BF could even stay at your place overnights so she's got the "usual" amount of interaction?
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by MumboJumbo View Post
                      is 9 days too long to leave kitty without more than 1/2 hr - 1hr of human interaction per day?
                      Mine have been boarded for almost that long (8 days) and survived just fine.

Comment

We had "kitty condos" and offered boarding at the clinic where I worked. I have to say that many cats were not that comfortable. The noise, the different environment, different people, etc stressed the majority out. Some did really well IF they were used to busy households already. Many just kind of slept in their litter boxes and hugged the walls.

Will they survive? Yep. But many will be stressed, go off their usual food, have litter box disturbances, etc.

If it's an option to not do that for the first time for such a long duration, I would try to avoid it. I'm not a cat person FWIW. But I won't even board my dogs. They're friendly and like people, but they're used to living in the home. Not in a kennel.

Comment

My cats did more than survive. They got on just fine and came home in good shape.

Comment

For me, the option to have someone come in once or twice a day would be light years ahead of the others. My kitties are not overly socialized to leaving the house - except for the vet and moving days, which they despise.

The right cat would be just fine in that setup. I had one foster kitty live alone in my apartment for almost four months with just a daily visit. I didn't love that option but it was his most appealing one. He reveled in the attention when he got it, ate just fine, maintained his box and adjusted just fine when I got back with my two brute keeper-cats. Oh and those two cats handled five days of zero interaction just fine. I suspect their world just keeps on turning.. nap, zoom around the house, snack, stare out the window, nap, zoom, snack, stare, nap nap nap.

Comment

Originally posted by caballero View Post
                              My cats did more than survive. They got on just fine and came home in good shape.
                              Like I said, some did great. But they were typically kitties who were very social AND were used to a high amount of activity in the house. The OP's cat sounds social as far as wanting human attention, but I get the feeling that she's used to being in an otherwise quiet house with one human maybe one guest at a time.

A better test would be a 3 day weekend. 9 days? Kitty could get pretty worked up. If there's a way to keep her home, I personally would.

Comment

I vote for house sitter or BF coming in daily.

I do a lot of house sitting for people and the animals are pretty happy in their own environment.

DH and I also had one cat that would come to our house for the week. He was a relative's cat with diabetes. They would have needed to board him at the vet's, which was really expensive. We volunteered to take him as we had previously owned a diabetic cat so we could do the shots twice per day. They didn't live close enough for us to go to their house twice per day. We had 3 big dogs at the time. However, Fitz had his own personal bedroom so he only had to see the dogs to and from the front door while in the safety of his crate.

My guys are good with cats. I have 6 cat so they are really used to them. However the lab can be overwhelming to new cats. If the cat is too passive he will pin them to the floor and lick their ears or rears. If the cat swats at him, even with claws in, he backs off and is all disappointed he can't love on them.
                                I would not subject a cat that is not used to dog to my dogs for only a 9 day trip. It would seem too stressful for the cat to make it worthwhile.

If your friend has a bedroom where your cat can be kept away from the dog I don't see an issue with that.
                                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I'd do a sitter. Cats in particular much prefer to just stay home. Plus it's safer- no exposure to diseases, no chance for the cat to escape in a strange place.
                                  I think most cats would far prefer to stay home completely alone than go to a kennel or to another person's house.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!

I live alone with my kitty. He's definitely not used to hustle and bustle on a daily basis and is visibly upset in his carrier when he has to go somewhere (vet, when I moved). He came from a shelter environment where he was adopted, returned, adopted, returned and so on. I'm not sure why because he's been with me for a year and has been awesome but I don't want him to feel abandoned again (anthromorphizing much?). I've left him to his own devices with just a 1 time quick check in for 2 nights and he's been perfectly fine.

I worry that 9 days is a lot for him to handle being alone with minimal interaction. He doesn't ever do anything bad - no chewing, no pooping outside box, no scratching. He's very well behaved but does thrive on interaction with people (ie. me). I wish I could have someone come and stay at my house but unfortunately this is not an option (don't know anyone who can do this). I am going away on a half vacay/half work trip and don't want to feel stressed out the entire time.

Comment

Well, there's always the "get another cat to keep the first one company" option.
                                      If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                                      Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                                        Well, there's always the "get another cat to keep the first one company" option.

And besides that, this sounds like a "don't board" situation - would likely lead to a very unhappy kitty.

Even if someone only comes once a day, if they can spend a few minutes paying quality attention to the kitty, doing whatever it is she likes to do best, that can be enough to get them by even if they're still lonely and missing mom

Comment

Working...
                                        X