• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone with experience with Senility/Dementia in Cats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with experience with Senility/Dementia in Cats?

I've got a cat who is turning 17 this year - he's the oldest cat I've shared my life with. He's slowed down a bit. He has trouble jumping onto the bed (so I put a chair next to the bed. He can make it into the chair and from the chair into the bed). He's matted as he can't groom himself well, but I am working on the mats (he isn't crazy about being brushed or trimmed and I have to work in very short sessions to avoid being bitten).

He's been seen by a vet not long ago and we had blood work done to make sure all was as well as it could be for an older kitty-boy.

But lately he's been acting somewhat senile. He gets 'lost' in the house and sometimes doesn't seem to know where he is. He yowls and wails. This morning he was convinced that he needed to climb up to the ceiling and kept staring at a spot on the ceiling. Then he went into a corner of the room and scratched at the walls. And then he went under my desk and seemed quite perturbed that the wall was in his way.

I will, of course, be talking to our vet about this, too. But I was wondering if anyone has dealt with something similar in a cat before - and how you helped them with it?
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

My cat lived to 19 and the last year or two she would just sit and meow like she didn't know where she was, waiting to be rescued. The symptoms you describe sound a lot like canine dementia. I'm sure they're similar but not sure if the drugs used for dogs would help cats.

Comment

In our case we just kept Tally comfortable and kitty proofed the house as much as we could. When she started crying we'd pick her up and take her to another room, which suited her. Her thing in the end seemed to be getting confused at night and jumping onto the kitchen counters looking for our bed. So one of us would go get her, put her on the bed and she'd happily go to sleep.

I don't know if it would work on your boy but Tally was content to be moved somewhere or give her something else to do (she loved to play until the week she died), and she'd forget all about what she had been fretting over in the other place.
      "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Comment

Well, it's not the same thing but I have a 8ish year old and a three year old who will both go into empty rooms and meow at the top of their lungs. I have no idea why. I also have a different three year old that will stand on his back legs and paw the walls, or the tub, or the mirror above the dresser, or just whatever.

My cats are just crazy. Sounds like yours might actually have some neurological changes. I love the old guys but they can be a challenge.
        "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

I am dealing with something similar. What makes it worse is that we have a couple of young cats in the house and she acts like she doesn't know them anymore. She has to be kept separate. Not a good long term solution.

I hope your vet is able to give you some answers. Congratulations on having a kitty get to such an impressive age. He sounds like a lovely friend.
          “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

We had one old cat years ago who I swear went senile. There were similarities to my grandparents, who had both just been placed then, and Mom and I had a lot of discussions wondering about it. The cat would get lost in the house, didn't seem to know others at times (fortunately had never been a terribly alpha cat), would forget where the food was unless you showed her and would forget it again if she looked away mid meal at something, and even started sleeping in the litter box. We discussed it with the vet, and he said it happens sometimes. She was distractable for a few years by moving her or giving her something, like the previous poster said. When that wasn't working as well and she just didn't seem happy at all anymore, we had her PTS.

Comment

Yes. I have one now (at least 16, could be older) who gets confused sometimes and yowls. We go to her and pick her up and that seems to work well. I also had a cat who lived to be 20 and one who almost made it to 21 and they both were a bit gaga towards the end. I find that distracting them, picking them up and loving them works for a while. My current old lady will NOT poop in the litter box, although she does pee there. Since she usually poops at night I have had success with confining her to the master bath and at least she poops on tile instead of nice oriental rugs.
              What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas/advice/sympathy. Picking him up or calling to him works most of the time right now. He was such an ugly/nasty alpha cat as a youngster and I am SO glad that part of his personality isn't coming out.

He was a trial as a youngster, but he was my trial. He's been with us through several moves, the loss of three other cats and several dogs, and a lot of life changes. It is hard to imagine NOT having him watch over us for the rest of our lives.
                Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I have discussed this with my (wonderful) vet many times. Unfortunately, from what he tells me, there is no medication similar to what would be appropriate for a dog with senility. Which is really too bad.

Comment

I think a screaming lost cat is not a happy creature. I'd certainly go out of my way to go fetch kitty or do other things to make catness able to find order/security in his life. But I wouldn't keep him above ground for too long if the dementia were intractable.

What the heck for? It's not like Dementia Cat is working on a new economic theory that could save the world and win him a Nobel Prize.

I take mental suffering of an animal just as seriously as any physical suffering, so if I can't make life good enough by the animal's standards, I'll be proud to be able to offer a good euthanasia. After all, it's better than some senile human beings get.

JMHO. I hope you can find OldCat a good solution for a while longer yet.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Sometimes hyperthyroidism can cause these strange behavioral issues. And other times its just old cat dementia.

I had an old one who would get stuck in the window blinds. He was 20+ so I tried not to poke fun of him too much.

Comment

Squish brought up a good thing to check as well. My old boy was 22 and he was always getting "lost" I had to make frequent late night "rescues" to him but I adored that boy and it was well worth it. He would yowl until you got him or called him but I preferred to get out of bed and get him because I could physically bring him back to my room then and he would settle down. If you can, limit the area he is in at night so he doesn't have to go far for anything. I used to bring the litter pan into my room at night along with his water and food so he could just hop off the bed and come right back. I didn't really like having the litter pan in there but honestly it was better for him that way. There were still times he wanted to walk around and that's when he would get confused but for the most part, keeping everything closer at night seemed to help. Good luck with your boy, it's not a fun road when they get like that.
                        The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Comment

I think moving him and calling him, etc. is the best course of action.

He will probably start having trouble finding the litter box so you might want to put more around the house, where he usually is.

And, IMO, when a cat starts to sleep in the litter box, they're telling you it's time.

Comment

Nearly all my housecats lived well into their teens, but only one showed any signs of dementia.
                            The others succumbed to kidney failure.

My old granny cat was 18 when she decided the World was her litterbox and turned my house into a House of Squalor.
                            I put down newspaper everywhere and then cleaned up her messes when I got home from work.
                            She pretty much slept all day long, but lasted nearly a year after the incontinence issue popped up.

IMO, as long as they show an interest in food there's interest in Life as well and barring physical pain I do what I can to let them live out their lives.
                            I know cats are stoic, and don't show pain until it's pretty bad for them, but to me losing interest in food is a Major sign that it's time to consider euth.

Hope your Old Guy adapts and you can help him into his Senior Years.
                            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Very good suggestions re: more litterboxes and confining at night. I have boxes (and food, and water) in my master bathroom upstairs, and boxes in my mud/laundry room on the ground floor and in the basement. My old lady gets confined to the master bath at night since that is her favorite place to poop. She likes to sleep in her cat carrier so that is in there too with a nice blanky in it. After breakfast she likes to go upstairs and sleep on my bed all day, so all she has to do to eat or potty is go into the bathroom instead of going downstairs.

Agree that losing interest in food = time to euth. She seems to be happy and enjoys the heck out of my lap, pets, grooming, etc. She's the one who drools when she's happy so I can tell.

Comment

I have a pair of 18 1/2 year old female ex-barn cats at home that are from the same litter. But they are total opposites in temperament and personality. One has always been friendly and interested in people and the other is very shy, almost feral. They have lieved inside now for almost 10 years.

The friendly one has had hearing issues for a while now and has adapted fairly well, but she does "lose" me in the house and cries until she finds me or I find her.

Her sister has only recently lost a good deal of her hearing it appears, and is now very startled and fearful when I suddenly appear, to the point that she'll run and hide. I used to be able to pet her a bit at feeding time and we'd have a little purr-fest but she has been unapproachable lately. She hasn't appeared too happy the last week or so, and I'll probably have to make a tough decision about her shortly if she continues to be so stressed.

My first cat lived to be almost 23 and she suffered from a bit of dementia. She'd do silly things in the middle of the night like knocking items off the night table and digging a hole for poop in her litter box, then pooping outside the box and then covering up the unused hole. But never a real mess. Older cats also often just st there are sort of "snooze" rather than sleep deeply all curled up. Just part of the aging process I guess.
                                "Facts or opinions which are to pass through the hands of so many, to be misconceived by folly in one, and ignorance in another, can hardly have much truth left." - Jane Austen: "Persuasion"

Comment

Sleeping in the litterbox is not dementia. Sleeping on poop maybe.
                                  My one cat will always sleep in the litter box when at the vets overnight- maybe it's easier on old joints like big patches of sand in a paddock are favorite places for horses to lie on.

Comment

Sleeping in the liter box

Originally posted by Chall View Post
                                    Sleeping in the litterbox is not dementia. Sleeping on poop maybe.
                                    My one cat will always sleep in the litter box when at the vets overnight- maybe it's easier on old joints like big patches of sand in a paddock are favorite places for horses to lie on.
                                    My 19 and 1/2 year old has been found sleeping in the litterbox lately. When I pull her out, she looks surprized. She has also developed some sort of scratching mania, where she will nearly fall over scratching. It isn't fleas, I am sure it is dementia. But I agree with two dogs, I don't really want to put her to sleep until she loses interest in her food, which she has definately not done.
                                    Another killer of threads

Comment

Also, sometimes the yowling happens when they become deaf, it's a "where IS everybody, I'm lonely/bored". Though it's a screechy sound it's IMO easy to distinguish from a yowls of pain, though I come running anyway to find cat satisfied to see me, with a "why are you so frazzled?" expression on her face

Comment

My older (15 or 16 years old) gentleman kitty has taken to sitting in the spare room and yodeling for about 10 minutes as soon as we go to bed at night. Then he joins us, fights with one or both of his younger sisters, and settles down for the night. What is odd is that he never did this until his buddy of 13 years was put to sleep last summer. The buddy was a serious yodeler but Skeeter had always been a pretty quiet cat up until Bogey died.

Comment

Working...
                                        X