• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to clean cat with poop stuck on rump?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean cat with poop stuck on rump?

CotH wisdom needed!
    One of our barn cats is a quasi-feral, small, (7 lbs?) female cymric, (think long, silky coated Manx). She appeared at the barn as a kitten with 2 other very young, maybe unrelated, males, when the neighboring farm was sold. The new owners found a feral/domestic colony and asked the local rescue to trap them. These 3 decided to seek their fortune on their own.

She has hardened poop stuck on her rump and can't seem to get it off. It is matted around her anus and in the long hair. She is very quick and afraid of being trapped, handled or held. I got her to the vet once to get her spayed/shots and she hasn't allowed since. That was 5 or 6 years ago. I can get tick frontline on her and pet her if she is willing and I'm sneaky.

She has been boney thin, so I started feeding her fancy feast with her kibble. I wormed her, too. I have to stay with her to keep the big 20 lb males from stealing her food. She is slowly picking up weight. She just started letting me put her in the tack room to eat the fancy feast, but scoots out and wants the kibble with the others. I pick up the feed dishes when I leave the barn, since there are other critters that I don't want to feed.

Thanks for any ideas!

By the way, her name is Valkyrie. She can audition for the Wagner operas with her shriek. Ferocious mouse, squirrel and rabbit hunter. Hasn't nailed the pair of pigeons yet...
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Turn the clippers on when you call her to her food. She will associate them with food. Run them while she eats. Repeat.. After a while (a few days?) run them down her backside while she is eating. or you could do it with blunt nosed scissors.
    I let my cats smell scissors, pick them up and snip the air all around them until they are blasé. Then I move in for a true cut where they have matted fur. I do this with nail clippers too and can get one toenail done before she notices. And yes it takes several days to clip her nails.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you Chall,
      She is faster than I am. It has taken me 6 months to get her to the point of eating in the tack room.

Comment

I have a long haired female who twice has come in with cockle burrs and poop completely covering her backside. She is tame but very over reactive to being held. I managed to get a good grip on her scruff and soaked her mess down with Pam, (actually generic cooking spray). I Then rubbed the spray in as much as I could before she got away from me. YUCK, much hand washing needed after that one . But, it did the trick. She was able then to get herself cleaned up because the cooking spray made her fur slippery. And it can't hurt them, it is just vegetable oil.
        Patty
        www.rivervalefarm.com
        Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Good idea, no DQ! Only use gloves next time . . . . .

I have an ancient elderly indoor cat that has this problem regularly. But I can use shampoo and wash the back end.
          What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry to be such a newbie with cats. She just isn't like any of the others that have lived with us. She is wild enough that the vets who have seen her thought she might have a good dose of bobcat. She has a strong resemblance to them.

I wish I could grab her by the scruff, as that would make it possible to not only work on her poop ball but get her to the vet for shots and exam. But, Valkyrie is "over-reactive", wary and sensitive, to boot. Her fighting skills can rival those of the girls of the Ring of the Nibelung.

I'm at a disadvantage in that I've broken my fingers enough with the horses that I can't close them tightly. What kind of gloves do you recommend? Grip and tooth/claw-proof ideas?

I just finished oral dosing a horse for the last 2 months, and used the Pam to keep the syringe plunger working. The sound does make her bolt. Can a Manx even reach her rear-end? Maybe put olive oil on my hand to get it on her?

Where do you get the blunt curved scissors? How do you sharpen them? She has on rare occasions let me snip off long mats- usually there is a tick bite that is itchy enough to distract her.

Comment

That is a difficult situation. I also have a Manx cat who gets the same problem now and then. She is at least not feral, but can get rather upset when I have to clean her up. I sometimes put on my outdoor Carhart coat and a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and just have a wrestling match with her. It has been bad enough I have held her over the laundry utility sink and ran warm water right over her rump. She does object rather strenuously, but the coat and gloves keep me from getting scratched. I also try to keep her trimmed up back there, but that also requires protection.

Oh, and kitty is so chunky she just can't do it herself so we are working on her weight too.

The cooking spray is an interesting idea. I might have to try that one!

Comment

I've filled up a five gallon bucket with warm water and dunked before, but the cat wasn't THAT feral and I rather think he felt relief. Tried it with a different cat and I'd recommend leather gloves because rubber gloves are just going to get a LOT of holes. Good luck.
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

There is usually enough slack that you can get between the poop and the skin and cut the hair off with scissors. How you would do any of that with a feral cat is beyond me though. Maybe an oral tranq in her food? Get someone to wrap the front end in a towel and hold her as tight as they can?
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I would try the oil in your hand idea first. I have an extremely non-feral, friendly cat who becomes a freaking monster when we attempt to bathe him, so there is no chance I would want to try it with something that was not exactly tame. Hopefully the oil will make her groom back there and will make her slick so the poop comes off easily.

Comment

The poop obviously bothers you more than it does the cat. Leave it alone. Continue to socialize her and save up the good will for when you really need it--i.e., when the cat is actually hurt or sick and needs veterinary care.

Spoken as the owner of a couple of feral cats.
                      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Several decades ago our vet taught us how to handle barn cats that were not that tame yet and it worked wonderfully on tame ones, the cat burrito.

You play with cats with a small kitchen rag on the end of a whip/stick.
                        Then you go on to rubbing the cloth on the cat.
                        Then you get a bigger towel, then rub and cover the cat.
                        Then, when you have to, gently burrito the cat, all but the paw, head, behind, whatever you need to get to in the towel and do what you have to do as you keep scratching and playing with the cat.

For that last, best with two people, so one can distract the cat with scritches while the other snips, treats, cleans, whatever you need to do.

The trick is to train your cats towels are playtime and feel good to be rubbed with them and to do it in a small place, where if the cat really wants to move off, you can let it go and start again, not force it.
                        We used the tack room for that and all our barn cats got their vaccines and any care there, our vet was very handy with that towel burrito trick, but the real trick is in the handling and respecting the cat when objects and quit before the cat quits you.

Most cats would stay still in the burrito and purr away.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                          There is usually enough slack that you can get between the poop and the skin and cut the hair off with scissors. How you would do any of that with a feral cat is beyond me though. Maybe an oral tranq in her food? Get someone to wrap the front end in a towel and hold her as tight as they can?
                          I was thinking some kind of tranquilizer myself. I have a long-haired cat as well...I bought a pair of clippers and learned to give my cat a sanitary clip. Helps with that issue a lot.

Good luck with your girl.
                          *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            Most cats would stay still in the burrito and purr away.
                            A purrito??
                            *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Originally posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
                              I was thinking some kind of tranquilizer myself.
                              Tranquilizers usually do not work with ferals. They can smell it in food, and if you try to inject them they are so full of adrenalin by the time they get the drug that it doesn't work or makes it worse.
                              "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
                                A purrito??

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry not to thank you and reply yesterday. I had back surgery yesterday to cement and superglue a fractured vertebrae. Amazingly easy, with little down time, by the way.

I guess eclectic horseman is right. Ferals are tough and it has taken me 6 years to get this far. The poop ball bothers me and her best friend cat, Nocturne, more than her. She reeks, and neither of us want her hind end touching us. Nocturne isn't keen on sharing the warm cat dwelling I made for them in the loft. Since it has been raining for days, I had hopes that it would melt on its on accord. I feel sorry for her.

In reading up on Manx, it seems that the very short spine and the defects that make the hopping gait, do make it close to impossible to reach the hind end to clean it.

She likes to hop up on the loveseat in the barn when I'm doing snuggle time with Nocturne, and will place herself for a quick stroke before she panics and bolts. Then she will come back for another round. He is more like a big British type and quiet, mellow and kind. He takes care of her.

By the way, they know how to spring a have- a- heart trap from the outside. When Valkyrie had her only litter of kittens, Nocturne and his brother, Big Kahuna, lined the kittens up and showed them how it worked. So much for that approach for getting them and her to the vet...

(Big Kahuna decided to be a guardian house cat and now guards my computer. He feels the need to edit, too.)

Comment

• Original Poster

We tried the play with a feather on the end of a lunge whip, and she didn't trust to play. The cloth idea didn't work either. I have used the purrito on the house cats with success, but they are tame and trusting.

Comment

• Original Poster

By the way, the 2 males, Nocturne and Big Kahuna, are heavy boned, double coated that molts in the Spring, have the tufts on their toes and the general look of a Norwegian Forest cat from the google images.

Comment

Valkyrie ! Mine is Athilla (the Hun).
                                        You can get the scissors at a value store, they are sometimes found in the children's store.
                                        The Pam or Olive oil sounds like it would have the benefit of getting a little fat into her but she might get very cold from slicked down fur.
                                        Purrittos don't work with my kitty, force of any kind is not forgotten and will be retailiated She is not feral but has an inflated idea that her body is her's, do not touch without express permission. I've had her 18 yrs
                                        Maybe you can take a house cat and feed him in the tack room for company and then take him back.

Comment

Working...
                                        X