• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sad story - neighbor shoots dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does that include the human hurting your livestock? How far are you going to go?
    Buddyroo implies the child chasing your livestock is fair game. Or the hunter that just shot your horse. Are you going to shoot him too?

Comment

• The Wild West is alive and well. Shoot em up cowboys and girls.

Comment

• Originally posted by pezk View Post
        It' called a $10,000. Fine for shooting a great blue heron who just ate all your expensive koi or a bald eagle who decided your chicken or dog looked pretty tasty,among other things. Not even getting into shooting the kid for hurting your livestock.
        Good point about the illegality of shooting non-game birds, although it's unlikely a bald eagle will go after your cat or dog.

Comment

Does that include the human hurting your livestock? How far are you going to go?
          Buddyroo implies the child chasing your livestock is fair game. Or the hunter that just shot your horse. Are you going to shoot him too?
          I implied no such thing.

But thank you for taking it to the extreme.

I would simply use a paintball gun on a child. Or a stun gun. I'd never think to kill a child harming my livestock.
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Oh, and FWIW, I would probably shoot the hunter who shot my horse. If he accidentally thinks my horse is a deer, I might accidentally think he's a coyote or heavens, perhaps a Yeti. Far as I know, neither are protected species in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• pezk
              Still at it, aren't you all. Never are we going to agree.I still believe that guns provide a quick and easy answer to solving a problem. Many of you believe it's within your rights to use the weapon when you see fit. It is within the legal rights of people to deter and/or shoot non-protected predators causing harm to their stock and/or pets on their own property. It isn't a matter of thinking they do, they actually do have that legal right. I'll agree with you if it's a human being attacked,but for the vast majority of cases, I don't believe a weapon is the sole answer. I haven't seen where anyone said it was the sole answer. I do think people tend to be more...intense...discussing it online than they most likely are IRL. However thee intensity is often understandable due to seeing posts slamming anyone who does use that legal option. There is a way to disagree with someone without being rude or accusing. Are you going to shoot every predator ( dogs, coyotes, wolves, fishers, weasels, mink, eagles, hawks, great blue herons etc)? If the predator is a repeat, chronic problem and causing or potentially causing suffering or loss of owned animals, then yes people may very well resort to that legal option. As long as the predator is not protected. Humans are the most powerful predator of all. Only when armed. Otherwise we're pretty much large predator fodder. Are you going to shoot some kid in your fields chasing one of your critters? Excessive, ridiculous hyperbole does not help anyone gain ground in an argument or discussion. BuddyRoo may very well have alluded to that due to this insulting supposition you posted for anyone who doesn't agree with you. Rights are a 2 way street at least in some places in the country. And some of us do live in neighborhoods and dogs, cats, kids run around and cause trouble. A loose dog, even attacking chickens or rabbits, is nothing compared to a drug selling neighbor. Pointless hyperbole this time. If you have one and dislike that, move. It's senseless to compare dogs attacking small animals to having a drug dealer neighbor. Is someone supposed to allow their animals to be killed by loose dogs because at least they don't live near a drug dealer? Someone may one-up that and say they live next to a PETA member or gang hangout. And even in the last situation, just because something is within your rights, doesn't mean the exercising of your rights is the wisest course of action.Sometimes it pays to think first and react second.
              Few people shoot first and immediately without thinking about it. That's a knee-jerk reaction to an action you do not like. Nobody on here has said that.
              Many have stated that their instances of shooting problem dog or having had animals killed by one were preceded by multiple talks with dog owners and reports to local police or AC. Which did not protect their animals.

And relocating wildlife predators is illegal almost everywhere. And rightly so, it's a horrible thing to do to an animal.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                Oh, and FWIW, I would probably shoot the hunter who shot my horse. If he accidentally thinks my horse is a deer, I might accidentally think he's a coyote or heavens, perhaps a Yeti. Far as I know, neither are protected species in my neck of the woods.
                I thought it was Bigfoot.

Comment

Rights are a 2 way street at least in some places in the country.
                  Could you please point me to a legal document which gives a dog the right to harass and kill livestock belonging to someone other than its owner? I'd like to see that.

A loose dog, even attacking chickens or rabbits, is nothing compared to a drug selling neighbor. And even in the last situation, just because something is within your rights, doesn't mean the exercising of your rights is the wisest course of action.Sometimes it pays to think first and react second.
                  I might take a pop at someone I caught selling drugs to my livestock.
                  "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Oh, it goes by many names! Haven't you seen the show? Yeti, Bigfoot, Sasquatch (my step daughters have a lovely song made up about a Sasquatch).

lots of names. Not protected.

Comment

• Really MistyBlue, you didn't see any posters suggesting shooting was the sole answer?
                      And what about the posts slamming anyone who doesn't agree with the gun owners? I suppose they don't exist either?

Comment

• Guns aren't the only way to deal with a problem.
                        I recently dispatched a rabid skunk with a shovel.

Comment

• Pezk, I believe you're being histrionic and blowing things out of proportion. No one here is a shoot first, ask later type. Not that I've seen.

Everyone has commented that it would take a real situation to make them pull a trigger.

We all love critters. But what we DON'T love is having someone else's problem become OUR problem and hurt OUR animals.

A few months ago, in my bare feet, I had to kick the ever loving crap out of the neighbor dog to get him off my dog. I broke my toe. I could've shot him. I didn't. I kicked like a mad woman to break it up. My dog was injured. You bet that if it had happened again (after I notified the neighbors for the 3rd time) that I probably would've taken more serious action.

Why are you more for attacker rights than the rights to safety of those obeying the rules? I don't quite understand?

Comment

• Maybe you and Buddyroo could team up to catch the Yeti. Might be more profitable then shooting it. But that would be another solution -

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                              Guns aren't the only way to deal with a problem.
                              I recently dispatched a rabid skunk with a shovel.
                              Ew, my BO had to do that last year to a rabid fox. Unfortunately, the fox had already killed both barn cats. The act of bashing the fox, splattered "stuff" over both him and the BM. They both had to have rabies shots. So... a gun would have been better.
                              You are what you dare.

Comment

• Gosh, I'd love to have a battle of wits with you pezk, but I hate to fight an unarmed person. Carry on!

Comment

• The problem is not defending yourself or your family from the attack of any type of predator. The problem is when many of you choose to use your gun to kill the neighbor's dog or wildlife predator when there might be other solutions.
                                  I'm sorry Buddyroo you broke your toe, next time seize the nasty dog by both hind legs and pull. Usually it takes 2 people, one for each dog,but that 's how you break up dogfights. The dog can 't bite you in that position.
                                  And I don' think it's hyperbole to extend the scenario to shooting a human wh is hurting your livestock. Somewhere and for some reason there 's a line. But it 's very hard to figure out where that line is from many of these posts.
                                  Guns, like a lot of other stuff are a divisive issue. How can there every be a dialogue if the limits are not noted?

Comment

Still at it, aren't you all. Never are we going to agree.I still believe that guns provide a quick and easy answer to solving a problem. Many of you believe it's within your rights to use the weapon when you see fit. I'll agree with you if it's a human being attacked,but for the vast majority of cases, I don't believe a weapon is the sole answer. Are you going to shoot every predator ( dogs, coyotes, wolves, fishers, weasels, mink, eagles, hawks, great blue herons etc)? Humans are the most powerful predator of all. Are you going to shoot some kid in your fields chasing one of your critters?
                                    Rights are a 2 way street at least in some places in the country. And some of us do live in neighborhoods and dogs, cats, kids run around and cause trouble. A loose dog, even attacking chickens or rabbits, is nothing compared to a drug selling neighbor. And even in the last situation, just because something is within your rights, doesn't mean the exercising of your rights is the wisest course of action.Sometimes it pays to think first and react second.
                                    Do you fault a mama bear for attacking to protect her cubs? This is similar. Look at it as that our pets or livestock are something defenseless that we've charged ourselves with protecting. But I don't have claws or sharp teeth. So if a situation arises that warrants a bullet, so be it.

Bottom line, no one should have to lose one of their animals just because some idiot decided to not be responsible with theirs.

And why do dogs get all these rights that other animals don't? Some people are not dog people, you know. I love my dog. I like dogs okay. But I am most definitely a cat person. Other people love their goats, or their chickens, etc. just much as dog owners love their pets.
                                    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Does that include the human hurting your livestock? How far are you going to go?
                                      So, pezk... Would you just let someone hurt the creatures (livestock, pets or children,for that matter) whose health and safety is solely your responsibility? Obviously I am not talking about the weiner dog that trotted across the property line, but the feral mutt who is actively and aggressively antagonizing your pets (or children)?

Personally, I have never had an aggressive dog on my property (helps that I have an aplha mare who tends to settle those matters herself), but I sure wouldn't kid myself that the dog wasn't going to die simply because I turned it into animal control... I may not be the one to shoot it, but that wont leave it any less dead.

And BuddyRoo, I'm pretty sure Bigfoot lives up by me...

Comment

• Beyond yelling or shooting above the animal, what other solutions do you recommend?

Your solution about pulling at hind legs in the case of a dog fight is downright dangerous info and you should stop putting that out there. That's a quick way to put someone's FACE right into the fight. And when you're alone with a dog attacking your dog, you don't put your hands or face in the mix. Maybe a trained fighting dog responds well to that but generally, it's a poor idea. I worked in a clinic for 10 years and I'd NEVER instruct someone to just pull at hind legs in that situation. It's DANGEROUS.

My dog was being attacked by two PB's in the scenario I mentioned before. Neighbor dogs that I likes. They just flipped out. But it was not safe.

Comment

next time seize the nasty dog by both hind legs and pull. Usually it takes 2 people, one for each dog,but that 's how you break up dogfights. The dog can 't bite you in that position.
                                          That is absolutely *not* true.
                                          You can definitely be bitten by a dog that you are holding by the hind legs.

Comment

Working...
                                          X