• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sad story - neighbor shoots dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Oh, it goes by many names! Haven't you seen the show? Yeti, Bigfoot, Sasquatch (my step daughters have a lovely song made up about a Sasquatch).

lots of names. Not protected.
    If you're in the in-crowd, you get to say simply "Squatch"
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

• Well that was told to me by a very well known dog trainer who deals esp with problem/aggressive dogs. He has 50/60 yrs of dog experience. Of course you never put your face in that situation. I've seen him in action with highly aggressive dogs.
      It's a last ditch effort but it works(unless it's a pitbullbecause their jaws lock)

Comment

• But you still haven't answered the question of where is the line using your gun to handle something hurting your livestock? As I said before guns are a divisive issue,because their purpose is to kill. Is there any line?
        I think that most of us on the other side have no problem in the use of a gun to defend your self or your family by any kind of predator (the law mightn't agree with that in all situations). Will you shoot thebaldeagle that wants a chicken? Will you shoot your own dog? Is there any line at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by pezk View Post
          It's a last ditch effort but it works(unless it's a pitbullbecause their jaws lock)
          You have now revealed your total lackof knowledge in these matters, and nothing else you say will have credibility.
          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Lord have mercy is da crazee getting pretty deep in here....
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is there any line at all?
              Keep your dog from attacking livestock and you won't have to find out. You're a hypocrite for placing a higher value on your pet. Livestock owners have a duty to protect their livestock. If you don't want them to shoot your dog - keep your dog from attacking their livestock. That means keep your dog on your own property.

QED.
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

But you still haven't answered the question of where is the line using your gun to handle something hurting your livestock? As I said before guns are a divisive issue,because their purpose is to kill. Is there any line?
                I think that most of us on the other side have no problem in the use of a gun to defend your self or your family by any kind of predator (the law mightn't agree with that in all situations). Will you shoot thebaldeagle that wants a chicken? Will you shoot your own dog? Is there any line at all?
                Where the Sam Hill did the bald eagle come from?

Comment

The problem is when many of you choose to use your gun to kill the neighbor's dog or wildlife predator when there might be other solutions.
                  You are in no position to dictate to anyone here how they should or should not solve their problems with predators of any sort.

You are out of line and out of bounds. There is no dialogue with the likes of you.

Comment

• Speaking of questions not answered....

pezk, I believe I asked you what You would do if a creature under your stewardship was attacked by a stray/feral/aggressive pet?

Comment

• Well that was told to me by a very well known dog trainer who deals esp with problem/aggressive dogs. He has 50/60 yrs of dog experience. Of course you never put your face in that situation. I've seen him in action with highly aggressive dogs.
                      The well known trainer must have been well known due to ignorance.
                      How do you grab a dog's hind legs without bending over?
                      How do you bend over without your face going down also?
                      How does holding the hind legs render the rest of the dog paralyzed?
                      Who in Sam Hill told you a pitbull's jaws lock?

A pitbull's jaws do not lock. That's an urban legend that nobody familiar with canine anatomy believes.

Grabbing a dog's hind legs is highly likely to turn the aggression on you. Feelings of being attacked from behind will cause the dog to twist around and attack back. Your face may still be down there.

A dog can easily twist around and grab anyone holding it's hind legs. Any canine can.

There doesn't seem to be the option of dialogue with you due to the rhetoric, hyperbole and dramatic over emotional replies. People have answered your questions (accusations actually) both before you asked and after. You seem to either not read the replies or read them with an extreme bias and see only what you expect as a reply as opposed to what's actually written.

Not to mention the many inexperienced and incorrect statements you;ve given.
                      You jump in the saddle,
                      Hold onto the bridle!
                      Jump in the line!
                      ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                        You have now revealed your total lackof knowledge in these matters, and nothing else you say will have credibility.
                        That was told to me by the same very respected dog trainer who told me about using the dogs hind legs. Even he didn't like dealing with pit bulls because they don 't bite and release like other dogs. That is what causes the damage. I suggest you consult the experts on those breeds.
                        And I did see the hind leg approach in a whopper of a dogfight at a barn where I boarded my horse. The owners knew the same technique and used it effectively.

Comment

• Originally posted by caballero View Post
                          You are in no position to dictate to anyone here how they should or should not solve their problems with predators of any sort.

You are out of line and out of bounds. There is no dialogue with the likes of you.
                          No, I'm not. You just don't agree with me. There isn't ' any dialogue with most Gun owners either.

Comment

That was told to me by the same very respected dog trainer who told me about using the dogs hind legs. Even he didn't like dealing with pit bulls because they don 't bite and release like other dogs. That is what causes the damage. I suggest you consult the experts on those breeds.
                            And I did see the hind leg approach in a whopper of a dogfight at a barn where I boarded my horse. The owners knew the same technique and used it effectively.
                            I'm telling you as someone who teaches domestic animal anatomy and physiology, and possesses a degree in veterinary medicine that there is no such thing as "locking jaws" in any domestic dog breed, and that it is entirely possible for a dog to turn and bite a handler holding onto its hind limbs.
                            Do I have as much credibility as some "handler" who doesn't even like the breed he's telling untruths about?
                            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• How would you care to handle this, folks? Got this message today. I live in a rural area, I have dogs and cats and horses and a donkey at my house. This activity is about a mile at the most from me, as the crow flies.

Hey just wanted to warn you a pack of dogs or something is going around killing livestock. Tim G_____ (hwy ____) lost 14 goats, next him man list 4 sheep. I woke up thus morning to find my 3 pet goats and my 2 pet pigs dead.also 2 hogs that belonged to the b______. Just wanted you to know to be on the lookout. If I hear any more information I will let you know. I live on co road ____.

If you lived where I am, and had small livestock- what would you do?

Comment

• Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                Hey just wanted to warn you a pack of dogs or something is going around killing livestock. Tim G_____ (hwy ____) lost 14 goats, next him man list 4 sheep. I woke up thus morning to find my 3 pet goats and my 2 pet pigs dead.also 2 hogs that belonged to the b______. Just wanted you to know to be on the lookout. If I hear any more information I will let you know. I live on co road ____.

Go on the hunt

Comment

• Wow, just catching up on this thread...

Just when I thought a certain poster couldn't be more ignorant, another post appears.

Comment

• I'd hotwire everything...multi-strands and HOT first.

Try to track them first.

And worry.

pezk, you're arguing with a vet that's also a professor. I'd suggest you stop digging that hole. The ignorance in your replies is obvious.
                                    You jump in the saddle,
                                    Hold onto the bridle!
                                    Jump in the line!
                                    ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                      How would you care to handle this, folks? Got this message today. I live in a rural area, I have dogs and cats and horses and a donkey at my house. This activity is about a mile at the most from me, as the crow flies.

I'd keep my dogs and cats in until the problem was resolved. Hot wire around the other critters at a level low enough to get a dog, and if they manage to get past that hopefully your donkey really, really hates dogs.

Good luck to you and your neighbors. Hope no more animals are lost

Comment

• FWIW, we had a chow/lab/husky/Lord knows what mix- he was so furry, hot wire was a joke. He'd go through/over it and with all that massive coat he'd never show any sign he was shocked by it. You need a dog thin coated enough to even notice he was popped-and guess what- he's through it before he gets popped and he just zooms INTO your field even faster. My English Setter is afraid of one particular fence that's popped him before- but he got IN when he got popped- it didn't stop him. They don't stop and sniff the fence, they duck under, get popped, and just come on in, that much faster.

Comment

• So if you come home and find said dogs in said pen, slaughtering your animals, some of you would just what? call the cops? Ask a farmer for help? Post on Facebook? Post here and ask? While they continue their assault?

I'm not about killing anything for kicks but damn, I don't get the idea of just watching and ...what?

Comment

Working...
                                          X