• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thinking about adding a second dog - current dog considerations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about adding a second dog - current dog considerations?

Just as the title says, I'm thinking about adding a second dog. I've had my Cavalier for over three years now and he loves to play with my father's dogs and his dog friends at the barn where we board in the winter. However, play time is different than adding another dog to the home. I've had a foster dog (senior Maltese) for almost a month now and Dublin doesn't really care about him either way. They don't play but Dublin has never really been into dogs smaller than him (he doesn't seem to understand what they are).

Dublin is definitely my #1 sidekick and goes with me everywhere he can. When I'm not at my office job, he's at the barn with me or he's snuggled right next to me on the couch. I'm definitely "HIS" human and he can get a little jealous (not aggressive, just whiny). I don't know if adding a second dog to the mix would make him really depressed or if he would learn to enjoy having a brother.

A barn owner in the area has been looking for a home for her sweet, young, male pit-mix foster dog. He sounds like he would be a great fit for my situation since he is experienced with small dogs, cats, and horses. However, I'm hesitant to ask her for more information since I'm not sure if Dublin would agree with adding a second dog.

Any experience or advice?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Has Dublin gotten to play with the foster?

Size difference would make me a little concerned, as size does make a difference. Some dogs are pretty good about understanding their strength, some are less so.

Play styles also might be very different, as the bully breeds *tend* to do a lot of drive by shoulder slamming and paw wacking. Think about how Dublin plays and think about how the other dog might play too.

Also, since your barn owner is the foster home, is it possible to try a 2 week (or less if it becomes obvious it won't work) trial period?

Comment

Originally posted by threedogpack View Post
      Also, since your barn owner is the foster home, is it possible to try a 2 week (or less if it becomes obvious it won't work) trial period?
      This sounds like the most sensible way to go about it if you like this other dog but are not sure how Dublin would take to his new bro.

Comment

I've always stuck to one at a time, but I have flirted with the idea of adding a cat to the family (dog loves cats) and if I do that, I will specifically look for a cat who loves dogs so everyone's happy. I think you could apply the same logic to this, essentially letting existing dog choose the new dog. Granted, you'd still have some guidelines for your own sanity, so new dog doesn't turn out to be a breed or size you just can't stand or handle, etc. But I'd look based on what the current pet is likely to be comfortable/safe/happy with, and not worry about rescuing a specific needy dog. If you adopt, you're going to be rescuing a needy dog at some point, anyway.

Comment

I've always had multiple dogs. Usually strays that need a home, or ones due to be euthed. So I don't get to be picky. And somehow, it always seems to work out fine and the dogs end up being buddies.

See if you can try taking your dog and the other dog for a walk together. Have friend walk her dog briskly for about 45 min, and you do the same. Then bring bring friends dog over to your house, and walk both together briskly (one on each side of you) without stopping to sniff. You need to ignore the dogs, keep your head up, and keep moving forward, without talking to them. Walk for about 20 min. Then return home, and if you have a fenced yard, go out back, and drop your dogs leash, and walk the other dog around somewhat briskly, so your dog can walk behind and sniff. Then drop the new dog's leash, but keep moving, and then you move away from them, (especially away from your dog, so he doesn't want to guard/claim you.) let them sniff, and get to know each other. I've been introducing dogs this way for years, and have never had it not work.
          I don't like introducing dogs on leash where 2 people each hold leashes and let the dogs sniff, as inevitably, one of the owners is nervous, and the dogs sense it, and become leash reactive. Plus they are forced to meet head to head, which is less than ideal. Walking both briskly together on each side of you without letting them sniff, gets them thinking forward, and by the end of the walk they seem to bond and not look at the other dog as a threat/intruder. Walking them individually beforehand, gets the excess energy out, so that it doesn't feed into anxiety/excitement, and the calmer energy is better for first meetings.

All of my dogs seem to really enjoy having a buddy. When they get old, they seem to not care or interact as much. So your old ones should be fine.

Comment

Someone here suggested doggie "sleep overs" as a chance to see how everyone gets a long, like taking horse on trial. I like the expression.
            Now, if one could take a current cat to the shelter and do a session of "speed dating" that worked, well that would be great.

Comment

the best thing is to try a two-week trial period. Just meeting up somewhere won't tell you much about how they'll interact through daily life.
              most of the people I know with cavaliers have more than one of them, and they seem to enjoy the company of their own breed- if this particular dog doesn't work out, I'd suggest looking for another cavalier.

Comment

It's been my experience that dogs of the opposite sex seem to work much better than the same sex if you have only two.

Comment

Originally posted by threedogpack View Post
                  Has Dublin gotten to play with the foster?

Size difference would make me a little concerned, as size does make a difference. Some dogs are pretty good about understanding their strength, some are less so.

Play styles also might be very different, as the bully breeds *tend* to do a lot of drive by shoulder slamming and paw wacking. Think about how Dublin plays and think about how the other dog might play too.

I agree, doing a trial would be ideal, especially if you are hoping that the dogs will play together.

Both my BC/Boxer/Who Knows What mix and the neighbor's Pit Bull seem to have the "bully play style" described...they are into body slamming, shoving with the shoulder, standing on top of the other, smacking each other in the face with their paws, spinning around and butt slamming, etc... If the Pit mix would be happy with the Cavalier's play style (I don't know what that is), it might work, but if he wants to play in my dog and her friend's style, they'd need to be closer in size and everyone needs to be able to control their temper, because it's extremely physical.

Comment

I really agonized over the idea of getting my dog a buddy. Which is pretty much what it was. Getting my pet a pet. LOL. He was used to being an only dog, a dog who got to go everywhere with me, including the office, the barn, the grocery store, etc. Very similar to your situation.

I looked into various rescues for quite awhile. But finally, the decision became moot because I got a roommate with a dog. Initially, she hounded the heck out of him and there wasn't a lot of love lost. But they became good playmates. I also had a friend whose dog often stayed with me or mine with her and when separated, they would be all depressed for days.

So I wasn't terribly surprised when we got a puppy a few years ago that it all worked out. At that time, my lab was 7. It worked out well.

I would do a trial, but realize that it can take a little time for them to work it all out. Just like horses. So if it's not going well on day 2, don't give up.
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies, these are great! I'm pretty sure the dog I referred to in my OP has been adopted (hurray!), but there are plenty of other dogs out there needing homes!

I'm not terribly concerned about size difference, except for the fact that Dublin doesn't seem to like interacting with dogs smaller than him. My father and sister both have large pitbull mixes and he loves both of them. His BFF is a tall, lanky Schnauzer mix and they play very rough together (chase, pounce, tumble, run over each other...he'll jump up to do body checks). He also loves to chase other dogs and I have a friend with two Newfies who love to BE chased, so they get along swimmingly.

Do most local humane societies allow trial periods? Most of the places around here I know do a "meet & greet" sort of deal, but I don't feel like that would be very telling for Dublin (unless the other dog totally hated him or something) since he is very polite and reserved when meeting new dogs.

I keep looking at these two little guys:
                      http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24810933
                      http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24548148

Another detail that may factor in: I'm moving into my new house this month. Dublin doesn't seem too bother by environment changes (he's house sat with me several times), but perhaps a new home AND new dog happening so close together might be overwhelming?
                      "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

Why not fill out applications with several rescues, let them know what you're looking for & when, if you're willing to foster etc.

I'd move, get settled, then add the next dog, probably trial a few fosters first to see if both the dog & the humans preferred being a 2 dog family

Definitely get beagle educated before committing to one

Comment

Originally posted by mg View Post
                          Just as the title says, I'm thinking about adding a second dog. I've had my Cavalier for over three years now and he loves to play with my father's dogs and his dog friends at the barn where we board in the winter. However, play time is different than adding another dog to the home. I've had a foster dog (senior Maltese) for almost a month now and Dublin doesn't really care about him either way. They don't play but Dublin has never really been into dogs smaller than him (he doesn't seem to understand what they are).

Dublin is definitely my #1 sidekick and goes with me everywhere he can. When I'm not at my office job, he's at the barn with me or he's snuggled right next to me on the couch. I'm definitely "HIS" human and he can get a little jealous (not aggressive, just whiny). I don't know if adding a second dog to the mix would make him really depressed or if he would learn to enjoy having a brother.

A barn owner in the area has been looking for a home for her sweet, young, male pit-mix foster dog. He sounds like he would be a great fit for my situation since he is experienced with small dogs, cats, and horses. However, I'm hesitant to ask her for more information since I'm not sure if Dublin would agree with adding a second dog.

Any experience or advice?
                          agree with Alto!!
                          In case you don't know about it: cavalierrescueusa.org. I have 2 cavaliers of my own and foster for them! By far, one of the most rewarding experiences I have!
                          My one dog thinks other dogs are boring unless it is another cavalier. Seems cavaliers like "each other best", lol
                          With my personal dogs Nosey was 5 when I got Pnut and could have cared less....for awhile, but then they became good buddies.
                          Even though cavaliers are known as "expensive" dogs versus some I will tell you we took in 515 of them in 2012 and almost that many in 2011. :-(
                          Puppy milles, owner surrenders, people aging out of living alone, etc. My own 2 are adopted mill pups. Don't know what area of the country you are in but if interested fill out either an adopter or volunteer form on the site and PM me and I can tell you all about it.
                          What we do when we get a dog in...as the foster I am responsible for assessing the dog over a 3 week period to see what kind of him it will need. single/miulti dog home, kids,no kids, etc. Rescue has a total check up, dental spay or neuter and any other health concerns taken care of BEFORE the dog is adopted.
                          Example: I have a breeder surrender foster right now: she has had about 1000.00 in medical bills and her adoption fee is 350.00! She goes to her new home tomorrow after 6 weeks with me.
                          Adriane
                          Happily retired but used to be:
                          www.ParrotNutz.com

Comment

I think I'd wait til you get moved as others mentioned. Moving is stressful on people and on some critters. I have two dogs and just recently moved to another state. Just having movers in the house, having things "disappear", learning new noises in the new house, etc was a little stressful on mine and they're pretty easy going dogs.
                            A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Working...
                            X