• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wow the right tool makes a difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow the right tool makes a difference

I have standard poodles which spend quite a lot of time at the barn. You can just imagine how disgusting poodle fur gets during mud season. This week, apart from the usual mud up to their armpits, the boys came home from the barn stinking like dog urine. They had evidently stuck their heads under another dog's leg to sniff whatever he was peeing on while he was still peeing on it. Totally awesome. I now have shaggy, muddy, piss covered dogs who will want to snuggle with my Christmas house guests.

My dog groomer is kinda sorta thinking about firing me as a client. I can tell by the 2-3 week delay between when I call for an appointment and when she actually returns my call to book the appointment. (And no, she won't book my next appointment when I pick the dogs up.) I think the only reasons she does still return my calls are that I usually tip 100% of the actually grooming charge, and I'm totally ok with her shaving the dogs bald. Still, I expect her inner artist gets deeply offended at doing shave downs instead of proper fluffy poodle trims. (Although she might not need to do a shave down if we could maintain an actual grooming schedule.)

Last Christmas I treated myself to a high velocity dryer. Then I never got around to actually using it. Today, knowing there was no way I was going to get an appointment before Christmas with the offended artist dog groomer, I decided I was just going to have to bathe them myself. I figured the worst that could happen is I'd have clean matted dogs instead of dirty matted dogs.

I gave the stinkiest of the dogs a thorough scrub down and conditioning treatment in the shower. Then I hoisted his 60 pound carcass up onto one of our work benches and went at it. I had NO IDEA a high velocity dryer could make such a difference. Being a curly haired dog, his pelt tends to shrink up into tight little corkscrew mats whenever he gets wet. Naturally, he hates being brushed when he's matted. So the mats just hang around getting bigger with each rainstorm and mud bath. Today I discovered the high velocity airstream itself does 3/4 of the detangling. Unlike a human hair dryer, it basically blows the mats straight out of the fur. Why didn't someone tell me this years ago? All that time wasted towelling off soggy dogs, trying to get them dry with a hair dryer, and forcing brushes through mats - argggh

Originally posted by carp View Post
    Why didn't someone tell me this years ago? All that time wasted towelling off soggy dogs, trying to get them dry with a hair dryer, and forcing brushes through mats - argggh
    Really? I wonder if this is only on poodle hair. I have dogs that matt, and I have always done okay at keeping them dematted until I got this youngest one. It just seems like I can't brush and comb enough to keep the matts at bay.

Comment

I would LOVE a forced air dryer. I think it would work especially well for blowing snowballs off poodles!!

(however, for now, the minpoo seems to think rubbing her snowcovered self all over the couch is good enough)

Comment

SP owner here...I figured the HV dryers were way out of my range. Are they reasonable?
        A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

A few hundred bucks on average.
          Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
            SP owner here...I figured the HV dryers were way out of my range. Are they reasonable?
            Depends on your definition of reasonable. Mine is a Chris Christensen Kool Pup; current catalog price is 275. That's a bit steeper than I'd normally pay for such an item. I was only able to justify it to myself by rationalizing that 4 trips to the offended artist dog groomer would cost the same. (And by conveniently ignoring the fact that grooming dogs takes time, hence the reason the dogs have been drip drying while the blower sits on its shelf.)

Comment

The reason it seems to work so well on poodles (and curly coated breeds) is bc a lot of the 'matts' you ate getting out probably aren't matts. Most likely they are just really tight bunched curls. The HV is strong enough to blast them straight. It's also helps to blow undercoat out of a double coated breed. They are of less use for straighter coated single coated dogs though can help it moving the matts a bit more away from the skin but if the dog has quite long hair you do have to be careful not to cause matts from the wind twirling the hair around.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                I would LOVE a forced air dryer. I think it would work especially well for blowing snowballs off poodles!!

(however, for now, the minpoo seems to think rubbing her snowcovered self all over the couch is good enough)
                Yes! My couch has been soaked for days! Time for a last minute addition to my Christmas list!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
                  Really? I wonder if this is only on poodle hair. I have dogs that matt, and I have always done okay at keeping them dematted until I got this youngest one. It just seems like I can't brush and comb enough to keep the matts at bay.
                  As a groomer, I can tell you it works quite well on pretty much all hair types. If you have a particularly long drop coat like a yorkie, you can create new tangles, but it does work well on anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                    My favorite one is the black two motor one from Metro. They're about $275 on Pet Edge. I have two miniatures and a standard poodle in addition to grooming professionally.

I also use it on my horse in lieu of bathing him for much of the year. It's awesome for shedding seasons (horse and dog...gets rid of that undercoat). It also blasts all the dirt out of my geldings coat and leaves him looking shiny and just bathed even if he was filthy mud caked 30 minutes before. It's faster than a bath, and living in Indiana with a gets cold easily Arab, I don't like getting him wet unless I have to. It also works well to dry him off after a sweaty ride.

The noise freaked him out at first, but he tolerates pretty much anything given enough cookies. Now he doesn't really care at all.

Comment

Originally posted by carp View Post
                      I have standard poodles which spend quite a lot of time at the barn. You can just imagine how disgusting poodle fur gets during mud season. This week, apart from the usual mud up to their armpits, the boys came home from the barn stinking like dog urine. They had evidently stuck their heads under another dog's leg to sniff whatever he was peeing on while he was still peeing on it. Totally awesome. I now have shaggy, muddy, piss covered dogs who will want to snuggle with my Christmas house guests.

My dog groomer is kinda sorta thinking about firing me as a client. I can tell by the 2-3 week delay between when I call for an appointment and when she actually returns my call to book the appointment. (And no, she won't book my next appointment when I pick the dogs up.) I think the only reasons she does still return my calls are that I usually tip 100% of the actually grooming charge, and I'm totally ok with her shaving the dogs bald. Still, I expect her inner artist gets deeply offended at doing shave downs instead of proper fluffy poodle trims. (Although she might not need to do a shave down if we could maintain an actual grooming schedule.)

Last Christmas I treated myself to a high velocity dryer. Then I never got around to actually using it. Today, knowing there was no way I was going to get an appointment before Christmas with the offended artist dog groomer, I decided I was just going to have to h
                      See, I'd find a new groomer. I'd love a client like that. Lets me do what I need to do without complaint and tips!? Clients like that I tend to give preferential treatment to! I'll squeeze those dogs in just about anytime! Shaving down a SP is really not that time consuming!

Comment

I got a single motor Metro HVD probably 5 or 8 years ago. It is a God-Send for the Corgis. When I dry the dogs, I do it against the growth and you can see where the loose hair needs to come out as I can see down to their skin. I can't imagine having these dogs and not having the ability to do this!

Comment

I also bathe and dry my dog at home. I use Ridgid 4 1/2 gallon wet/dry vac set on blower,with a crevice tool on the hose, to do the drying. It was less than $100.
                          www.ridgid.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by candysgirl View Post
                            See, I'd find a new groomer. I'd love a client like that. Lets me do what I need to do without complaint and tips!? Clients like that I tend to give preferential treatment to! I'll squeeze those dogs in just about anytime! Shaving down a SP is really not that time consuming!
                            The thought had crossed my mind. Unfortunately, my options are surprisingly limited considering the population density in my area. There's the offended artist's competitor across town -- she had a dog die under mysterious circumstances and then got hostile with the owner. There's the new age groomer one town over -- her helper informed me that my pure bred poodles were doodles and that I would ruin their retriever coats if I did a shave down. There's Petco & Petsmart-- no way; I'll go after the boys with clippers myself. There's a very good groomer near my barn. However, the shop is only open 8-5 on weekdays and 8-2 on Saturdays. It's also 40 minutes from my house and 60 minutes from my office, so it's not like I could drop them off on the way into work and pick them up on my lunch hour. I could perhaps drop them off after we go to the barn on Saturday mornings and go shopping for a couple hours while waiting.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Casey09 View Post
                              I've got no experience with really long haired breeds like afghan hounds.

With my own pets, I find I don't get mats unless something acts as a seed. The usual seeds in my pets are:
                              1) Shedded undercoat gets stuck and can't work its way loose.
                              2) Grease and/or dirt causes the hairs to stick together.
                              3) The hair gets wet and goes curly, causing it to wrap around its neighbors.

I'd think the dryer would be pretty helpful getting rid of shedding hair. It would blow the loose hair right out of the coat.
                              My current boys are prone to a combination of 2 and 3. Without the dryer, I pretty much had to choose which problem I preferred. If I got the dogs wet, their coats would dry in tight little corkscrew curls which were impossible to get unmatted. If I left the dogs dirty, they were somewhat brushable but disgustingly stinky. With the dryer I can get the dogs wet and then blow the corkscrew mats open so they dry straight.

Comment

I got a cheap HV dryer on Amazon. It was about $80, IIRC. Man, that thing makes a world of difference. It's not the most powerful dryer out there, but it dries my spoo in like 15 minutes, which is a huge improvement.

It also does a pretty adequate job of straightening while it dries, which works well enough for me since I don't do anything fancy with my grooming. Just a quick clip, shave face, feet, and sanitary, and scissor a pom pom in the tail if I'm feeling really ambitious.

Yeah, HV dryer: totally worth it. It pays for itself if you can skip a few pro grooms.

Comment

This thread makes me thankful for my Boxer and Boerboel, half "naked" dogs!! Even my Great Pyrennes doesn't snarl and knot like those dogs of the OP!! I think I'd shave them down!!
                                  www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                  Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                                    This thread makes me thankful for my Boxer and Boerboel, half "naked" dogs!! Even my Great Pyrennes doesn't snarl and knot like those dogs of the OP!! I think I'd shave them down!!
                                    I love the texture poodle coats have when they get their first buzz cut of summer. It looks and feels like crushed velvet. And the hair stays attached to the dog! It always amazes me how much hair the short haired breeds can shed. A few years ago I took a friend's Jack Russell x Beagle on an outing to the hardware store. Where does a half naked dog hid all that hair, and why aren't they fully naked at the rate they lose their hair? I'm STILL picking short white hairs out of my truck's upholstery.

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                                      Totally worth it! Especially if they spend any time on your furniture. Or if you like to wear black ... ever.

Comment

Working...
                                      X