• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best dog food & supplement? Very particular dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best dog food & supplement? Very particular dog

I have a mid age Pit Bull that I rescued 5 1/2 years ago. He picked me actually but that is a whole different story! The vet and I estimated him at around 1 - 1 1/2 when I got him so he is 6 1/2-7 yrs old now. He is a very "touched" dog - has severe anxiety and worries about everything - loud noises, linoleum floors (but not hardwood which is more slippery than the linoleum), strangers (especially dark skinned men) - Long story short- He had been abused before I got him and the other 2 dogs he lived with were euthanized because they were vicious. Ironically, my dog was not euthanized right away because they thought he would be the most vicious based on how he was reacting so they held on to him to let him settle a bit - they knew I was looking for a red Pit and I went to the back room and spent several days with him and once he finally came up to me and put his head in my lap, I knew he was going home with me. He is great with other dogs, cats, kids, small animals, etc. Not a mean bone in his body, just has some mental scars that affect his ability to be relaxed (yes, he could really use Caesar Milan LOL)

Anyway, this spring and summer, there were some days where he was 3 legged crippled. Stiff when getting up from laying down, sore hips, etc. I massage his back and hips and that seems to help, but he really needs a joint supplement. My problem is finding one that will actually work that won't break the bank (I am a single mom only working part time) - also, he has been losing some weight lately and has started chewing on toys (kids toys, not dog toys - he won't touch dog toys) as well as begging for food - despite being fed 2X/day and eating more than the 'recommended' amount.

Sooooo... to the questions: What are the best joint supplements and the best dry food that aren't TOO unreasonably expensive? I know I will get a million different answers, but I'd like opinions so I can narrow my list based on actual experiences people have had (rather than just online lists)

Thanks!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you had bloodwork done? Only reason I'm asking is that the things you mention (the anxiety--though I realize the dog has had this and it isn't new--the begging for food, the weight loss--though I wonder if it's a loss in muscle tone that makes the dog look thinner--the chewing and the pain/limping) are signs of many different things that don't really have anything to do with joint pain itself.

While I realize that running a full blood panel will run you in the $200 range, it might actually get your better answers than changing the dog food and adding a supplement that might not be necessary.

That said...what dry dog food do you feed right now? What you currently feed might give us a better jumping off point with what to suggest.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Comment

OK -well, you will get 10001 different answers.

My first suggestion is to see a vet and get labs done. Weight loss shouldn't happen if he has been on the same food and same amount without a major increase in activity or an increase in losses (vomiting, diarrhea).

Re: suppliments: Suppliments work best if you know what you are targeting. Ie, is he really just arthritis, or does he have muscle, nerve, soft tissue, abdominal, back pain? Unfortunatley unless you are willing to work him up (and its not always cheap), its going to be a crapshoot if suppliments will make a difference... however, saying that, its certainly worth a try and it will not do any harm! The one I find has the most effect is Cosequin DS. Suppliments arent cheap though (at least not the ones that work well), and it may be more worth saving that money and working up weight loss instead.

Other management options for pain are tramadol, NSAID's, gabapentin, adequan, cartrophen, fish oil etc. You should really have bloodwork done before starting the big guns like NSAIDs.

Food - if he is hungry, can you not feed him more? There are quality kibbles avalable that you can feed less and have higher calories, but if he is acting hungry, something quality with increased fibre may be beneficial so he can eat more bulk. I would certainly not ignore weight loss though, often it can be an indicator of something more sinister going on.

Difficulty walking, getting up etc. can sometimes appear as hip/leg problems but really be abdominal discomfort. Without a full physical exam, its really a shot in the dark as dogs/cats are very good at masking pain.

Hope your pup will feel better soon Love pitties.
      Last edited by SquishTheBunny; Dec. 8, 2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I should have mentioned that he went to the vet when he initially was 3 legged (I was thinking he needed xrays) but after the vet manipulated his hind end, he didn't feel that xrays were necessary, just that he was probably getting arthritis. I do give him baby aspirin on days that he gets really stiff (vet okayed this) but it doesn't drastically help, just helps make him more comfortable. I should also note that he has scars on both his stifles - look too neat to be bite marks but we can't figure out what else they could be (I first thought surgery scars, but that is highly unlikely)

He does have very slight muscle loss on his right hip but that is not where I am seeing the weight loss - it is around his waist. I also should have mentioned that a few days ago, he did not eat more than a handful of food per day for 2 days - he must have gotten into something that upset his tummy - but is now eating fine.

I added a lunch time feeding today, so maybe feeding 3X/day will help. I will call about getting a CBC done to see if I can afford to do it right now - I don't see anything from him that seems to drastically warrant rushing for a CBC, but will see if I can get it done reasonably enough to do it sooner rather than later.

I also wonder if his eyesight is starting to go bad... which could contribute to him reacting even more to things that he otherwise wouldn't react quite as strongly to.

Hmmm.... I worry about him. I also worry because he could very well be older than we estimate - obviously being a rescue, it is hard to really know.

Oh, he is currently getting Beneful dry dog food

I'll call in to the vet on Monday and see about the cost of CBC and all. I wonder if I should also get an x-ray or ultrasound to see if he did indeed swallow something that is causing issues in his stomach or intestines? *Sigh* It is always something! He's an interesting dog - I worked at the shelter and since it was a high kill shelter, I would take in overflow dogs that were still adoptable so that they would not be euthanized.... I'd get them vetted, fixed, then rehome them. Have seen some crazy things including saving a dog with Stage 4 Heartworms (had excess fluid and all that had to be drain several times) and we saved her life, got her healthy and adopted. But this dog... well, he's a special one and he often baffles me. He's a wonderful dog though and I don't know what I'd do without him.

Comment

He sounds like he is very well loved.

If money is tight, I would skip the CBC and run chemistries instead if he dosesnt get weight back on easily. It will give you more information on organ function which is usually the culprit to weight/eating issues. Should be around the same price as a CBC.
          A CBC is going to tell you what his Red and White counts are, and WBC types. A chemistry pannel will tell you whats going on with the liver, kidneys, gallbladder, pancreas etc.

Xray may show you abnormal gas pattern, ultrasound would be better as there is better visualization of all organs...however, if he is eating well now I think starting with routine bloodwork and monitoring for anorexia, lethargy, diarrhea, vomiting etc. is reasonable. If he had an obstruction, he would not be eating and likely vomit.

As far as food goes, you can try to change him over to something higher calorie with a higher protein/fat content. Budget quality kibbles are available at most pet stores. I personally feed Wellness Whitefish to my pittie - she does not need a grain free food, but her coat benefits from the fat content. Its probably not much more than Beneful but may be beneficial to the arthritis and weight gain component. There are also other foods such as Orijen 6 Fish, but this food is higher in price, and if you need to keep costs down starting with a mid quality food like Wellness is probably a good first step.

Comment

• Original Poster

Squish - Thank you! I will call Monday and ask about the Chem Panel - if I can get a CBC & Chem done for reasonable, it won't hurt to get them run and see where things are. I'm looking at this list of foods from Concord Pets (it is right down the road from me) : http://concordpetfoods.com/catalog/11431/food/page1 and am looking into EVO, Innova, and Natural Balance. I will add Wellness to that list, thank you for the suggestion. I figure a change in food definitely won't hurt no matter what and may help :-)

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyTBs View Post
              Squish - Thank you! I will call Monday and ask about the Chem Panel - if I can get a CBC & Chem done for reasonable, it won't hurt to get them run and see where things are. I'm looking at this list of foods from Concord Pets (it is right down the road from me) : http://concordpetfoods.com/catalog/11431/food/page1 and am looking into EVO, Innova, and Natural Balance. I will add Wellness to that list, thank you for the suggestion. I figure a change in food definitely won't hurt no matter what and may help :-)
              No problem. EVO, Innova and Natrual Balance are great foods. You cant go wrong with any of those. Food is such a personal choice, and there are so many good ones available these days.

Comment

A lot of grain free or low grain foods have gone through recalls in the past few years. That being said, often times to recalls affected a very small percent of the food or didn't even affect the company but rather the mill at which it was produced. I mention this just in case you come across recalls when looking at different types of food. Use your best judgment and look into the recall if you otherwise really like the food.

My very picky eater did well on Precise. There are several similar brands that have some grains but are still quality foods. They also tend to be less expensive since they are lesser known brands.

dogfoodadvisor and similar sites are a great starting point. Also, picking a specific main protein (fish, beef, chicken, pork, exotic, etc.) can narrow down your choices.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all! I will keep you posted!

Comment

If you want one of the "premium" foods without paying through the nose, I feed Tractor Supply's "4Health" brand dry kibble for the dogs and the cats. It's something like $20/20lbs bag, a little more for the salmon and sweet potato formula (which is good for dogs with...uh...gaseous issues.) Seems to work both for the tall skinny shepherd mix and it's helping take weight off the chubby corgi, and it does seem to reduce the amount of poops per day.

I've found a little chicken broth (the real thing, not anything for dogs) can make dry food more appealing, too, if the dog isn't eating.
                    Author Page
                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Royal Canin's foods. However, all three brands you listed above are all good foods as well. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X