• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The holidays...and having a sick dog...and less than understanding relatives.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter has had similar problems with her in-laws. She has stuck to her guns and they respect her for it. One time when she wasn't going there because of the animals, his grandmother asked if he was still married! When he said yes, she said she didn't want to find out they'd been divorced for 2 yrs and no one had bothered to tell her. LOL

The dogs stay in their bedroom when they visit and they can't be with her. Now the grandkids love her and her animals so much, because she will play with them, that they are all welcome. She says some times she liked the old days of being unwelcome better!

Comment

Some people just don't understand that animals are family to others of us. They just see them as animals.

I wasn't sure that I was going to make my parents last Christmas as my old sweet dog was really going downhill. I didn't want to put him in the car and move him. He ended up taking a turn for the worse and I had him PTS on December 23. I went down for Christmas but was not myself at all as I missed the sweet old dog very much.

My parents kept saying 'He was just a dog and they all die eventually', and 'Any time you lost a pet, it cost you a day off school' - yep, 'heartwarming' things like they always have when I've lost a pet.

You're doing what's best for a family member who is 100% dependent on you. Your husband should understand, even if his family does not. Sure, he'll be disappointed, but he'll understand.

Comment

Well, alternate view point here. You have posted a lot about your family situation lately. It is husband's first Christmas away, and he is close to his family, you moved so he could finally work after he was unemployed for years, there are money issues and you spent, I believe, 16k in vet work on this dog who is still not well, this is still a young marriage, you have teenaged step kids who don't understand money issues, husband not good with money and resents the 16k you spent on the dog, etc etc.

Honestly, if you are committed to the marriage (and I am not saying you have to be, reading your other threads has made some alarm bells go off in my head) you need to find a way to go UNLESS husband is prepared to support you in this decision 100% and he is willing to declare to his family that you made the RIGHT decision, no matter what.

Because if you don't go with him back to his family for his first Christmas away and you have spent 16K on the dog when money was tight and step daughter gets a pair of knock off UGGS for Christmas because money is tight.....you get my drift.

He will be resentful. Your stepdaughters will probably say less than complimentary things about you and you won't be there to provide an alternate view point. You will be home with a dog who is still sick after 16K of vet work. See where I am going with this?

I know it would feel good to say "screw it, I am staying home" and I understand that feeling but based on what you have been posting about the whole situation....I would find a way to go, even if that meant getting someone to stay in the house with the dog. UNLESS you have full 100% support from husband which, frankly, I doubt you have.

I know this will be an unpopular post but I make my comments based on having read about your whole delicate situation. Sorry for your predicament, I know it is gut wrenching.
        Last edited by Mozart; Dec. 6, 2012, 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I wouldn't go, but then, I much prefer my dogs to the in-laws.

Comment

Sorry your dog is sick. Do you have a very caring, understanding, animal-person of a friend that you could trust your dog with that lives close to you and could house-sit and stay with the dog for you for a couple of days? If not, I'd stay at home too. I'd worry too much the entire time I was away to even enjoy the holiday. 26 hours is a far drive when you have a sick dog at home.
            *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

For the past months when Big Fuzzy Dog was failing, DH and I went on separate trips so one of us could stay home with him. We have great pet-sitters but it was at the point where it was likely that there could be an emergency. Occasionally if we both went to see his parents (3-hour drive) we would take separate cars and one of us would come back the same day. I see no reason why your DH can't go to his parents without you.
              I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Am I the only one impatiently waiting to hear what the vet said???

ETA: Ooopppps, totally missed the new thread on this! I guess I was too busy reading the PSA thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                  He can (and will) go by himself if it comes down to it. Discussed last night again. But he feels badly to leave me here in a new place over the holidays. I don't mind AT ALL and said so. I'm fine. I've moved around my whole adult life and have not lived close to family in 20 years so I'm totally okay. But it's hard for him to understand having spent 40+ years in the same small town til now. Me? I'm good. I am all good with spending time w/ family when we can and celebrating when we can so a "day" doesn't get me at all.
                  Then the problem is solved!
                  Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
                  Like us on facebook!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Mozart View Post
                    Well, alternate view point here. You have posted a lot about your family situation lately. It is husband's first Christmas away, and he is close to his family, you moved so he could finally work after he was unemployed for years, there are money issues and you spent, I believe, 16k in vet work on this dog who is still not well, this is still a young marriage, you have teenaged step kids who don't understand money issues, husband not good with money and resents the 16k you spent on the dog, etc etc.

Honestly, if you are committed to the marriage (and I am not saying you have to be, reading your other threads has made some alarm bells go off in my head) you need to find a way to go UNLESS husband is prepared to support you in this decision 100% and he is willing to declare to his family that you made the RIGHT decision, no matter what.

Because if you don't go with him back to his family for his first Christmas away and you have spent 16K on the dog when money was tight and step daughter gets a pair of knock off UGGS for Christmas because money is tight.....you get my drift.

He will be resentful. Your stepdaughters will probably say less than complimentary things about you and you won't be there to provide an alternate view point. You will be home with a dog who is still sick after 16K of vet work. See where I am going with this?

I know it would feel good to say "screw it, I am staying home" and I understand that feeling but based on what you have been posting about the whole situation....I would find a way to go, even if that meant getting someone to stay in the house with the dog. UNLESS you have full 100% support from husband which, frankly, I doubt you have.

I know this will be an unpopular post but I make my comments based on having read about your whole delicate situation. Sorry for your predicament, I know it is gut wrenching.

I bought her the Uggs she wanted.

I bought the other what she wanted.

I bought him what he wanted.

He's going home. I'm staying.

There is so much more...but it's not horse related or dog related and I don't wish to be rude.
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Working...
                    X