• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dog ate 5.5 oz. of chocolate chips (in cookies)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog ate 5.5 oz. of chocolate chips (in cookies)

We walked in tonight and found the remains of some freshly-baked cookies on the floor and a very guilty dog. 43 lb. Springer. Cookies were made with the chips, a sleeve of graham cracker crumbs and a can of condensed milk. Now, the charts I found online said 5.5 oz. of semi-sweet is NOT enough for toxicity in a dog her size, but I erred on the side of caution and tried to induce vomiting. THREE rounds of hydrogen peroxide (first one about 3 oz., second two 6 oz. each, as indicated), one long walk, and two hours later - nada. No barf.

NOW what do I do? Can't give any more peroxide, now I'm worried about THAT! I did let her drink some water an hour ago thinking that would fill her tummy up more, but nothing has changed... She's acting fine, just annoyed because I've tied her up on the tile floor.
    "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

Salt on the back of the tongue will make her puke. And I would worry about the effect of all that sugar on the intestinal tract. The 3 a.m. trots and/or pukes are in your future. Remember white vinegar and water mixed 50/50 will clean this up.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

You should mix the hydrogen peroxide with salt, that's what gets them going!
      The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Comment

Last year( a little closer to Christmas) my mini aussie ate about 3 oz of fudge that someone had given to my sister. My sister had set down her work bag and "miss piggy" immediately got into it and ate it. I called the vet and she said for her weight it was not a problem. She never got sick, although I was worried about possible diarrhea. I will be interested to see if she has a problem in her kennel tonight while I am at work. Yesterday am when I got home from work she had opened my bedroom door and had eaten a bag of freeze dried elk chips that I had gotten for a Christmas treat for the dogs. (my sis lets her out for me in the am)

Comment

Not all dogs react badly to the theobromine in chocolate. Looks like yours is one of the many (I bet the majority) that do not. Great! Although bummer that she ate your chocolate chip cookies.

My cousin's Borzoi once ate a 5 lb. solid chocolate Easter bunny. They'd put it on top of the refrigerator thinking it was out of reach. Borzoi are TALL on their hind legs. They came downstairs in the morning and in the gloaming saw her white muzzle all dark and panicked thinking it was blood. It was chocolate. No more bunny.

Comment

When I was a kid we had a border collie who loved chocolate. We didn't know chocolate was poisonous but did try to keep her from it. However, once she ate an entire box of baker's chocolate for which we did call the vet.

The vet said "well, she'll be miserable for a while, and probably throw up so make sure she's outside". She threw up and got the shakes but was fine. And unfortunately was not cured of her love of chocolate. She wasn't interested in other flavors but you couldn't leave chocolate out.

Comment

My lab just ate a half a pan of brownies. I called the vet and they said not to worry, he would have to eat several pans to make him sick.

Next time, call the vet before trying to induce vomiting.

Comment

I think you are good...that amount of chocolate looks to be only about 1/3 of the toxic dose for a dog that size, according to the charts.

I'm surprised that peroxide didn't work...those are pretty big doses, I usually do 5cc per 10lbs of body weight, which works out to considerable less than you were dosing, and get a good puke within 10 minutes every time. Was the bottle fresh? I've found that peroxide loses it's ability to force vomiting after the bottle has been open for a while. I keep an unopened, fresh, bottle around for dog emergencies...it's cheap enough to buy a new bottle each time I open one. I can use the already open bottle for other things besides inducing vomiting.

Comment

Your dog should be fine - I've had dogs eat similar amounts of chocolate with nary a burp.

I do, however have a scary, scary story about chocolate overdose in a dog: my little Cavalier bitch, who weighs about 14 pounds, ate almost two pounds of semi-sweet chocolate chips and she did not throw them up. I did not know she had eaten them, but did notice that she was "off" and watched her carefully. Ten minutes (tops) later I could see her heart beating through her ribcage and she was obviously a sick puppy.

I rushed her to the vet, and while she vomited there (producing the evidence of her misdeed!) she had already absorbed enough theobromine in her system to be a very serious threat to her life. She was in convulsions that afternoon, and we almost lost her. Funny thing is, once the toxin is gone through their system, they are fine very quickly. I brought home a tired but perfectly healthy dog the next morning. That vet bill is taped to the jar where we now keep chocolate chips, so a bag cannot be snatched from the counter...

She's not as innocent as she looks.
                  Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Comment

It's amazing how resilient some animals are, and what little piggies they can be too. I'm glad your dog is fine, and back to normal.
                    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Theobromine is toxic to people too -although it takes a much larger dose than for a dog or cat - but imagine how awful you'd feel if you ingested nearly 2lbs of chocolate, figuring a weight ratio of what a dog might consume. And yes, hydrogen peroxide becomes plain old water if it is old or exposed to light and air.

I wonder if the cookie part of her gorge somehow diluted the chocolate in her digestive process?

Comment

• Original Poster

"I'm surprised that peroxide didn't work...those are pretty big doses, I usually do 5cc per 10lbs of body weight, which works out to considerable less than you were dosing, and get a good puke within 10 minutes every time. Was the bottle fresh? I've found that peroxide loses it's ability to force vomiting after the bottle has been open for a while. I keep an unopened, fresh, bottle around for dog emergencies...it's cheap enough to buy a new bottle each time I open one. I can use the already open bottle for other things besides inducing vomiting."

Whoops - in my typing haste, I wrote the wrong thing - it was 6 cc. of peroxide, not 6 oz.! Yikes! That would have been a HUGE dose! I put the salt on the tongue, too but guess what - the poor dog never did throw up, at all. I started wondering if it was because the bottle was old and sure enough, that's what you guys are saying. I will be replacing it for sure.

At any rate, doggie slept fine last night (unlike me, I was up three times to check on her), woke up demanding b'fast and has acted absolutely normal all day. Normal poops, too! Can't quite believe it. Just call her Ms. Cast-Iron Guts, I guess. :-/ Oh, and when my mom made a replacement batch of the cookies she showed right up looking interested, of course!
                        "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

Comment

FYI, there is an animal poison control hotline that you can call to get information about whether what your dog consumed was toxic and if so, what you should do about it. They were super helpful when my Lab-x ate my sister's food supply for the week (she promised she had put the food in a safe place, I didn't check, and it was on the counter). $65 well worth it.

Comment

I am glad to hear your dog is on the mend.

Funny story.

I was in a cupcake competition this time last year. I baked 2 dozen french vanilla with chocolate chip cupcakes and 1 dozen peanut butter chocolate chip cupcakes. I was using a gluten free recipe that I modified to be vegetarian. (no egg). I also wanted to win so I used high end chocolate chips (not toll house), french vanilla soy milk as my milk/water, and high end butter. And I also go heavy handed on the chips!

I had all the cupcakes cooling on the table along with 3 dozen mini cupcakes for free samples and popped down to school to drop off an art project.

Riley never shows any interested in human food. I thought I was fine. I came back 15 mins later (school is 1 mile away) to a cleared off table! He had eatten all the cupcakes, wrappers and all. It looked like he swallowed a basketball!

All in all he ate; a pound of butter, nearly 3 cups of french vanilla soy milk, 3 bags of chocolate chips, a cup of peanut butter, and of course all the gluten free flour, sugar, etc that go along with all those cupcakes.

I CRIED! I did not get mad at him, it was my fault for leaving them out, but I was so mad at the situation. I had just budgeted enough money to make the competition cupcakes and I was all out of ingredients. I ended up buy sub-par ingredients for the extra cupcakes I had to make.

And to rub salt into the wound, I did not win or even place. And I did not sell one cupcake

And how did Riley fair through all of this.....he was fine. Thank god I used grainfree flours since he is allergic to grains! I only gave him pumpkin in small doses for the next 2 days, his poos were a bit runny but that was to be expected.
                            Last edited by MunchingonHay; Nov. 28, 2012, 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
                            www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
                            http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

Awwww, I'm so sorry. That horrible realization when you saw what he'd done...I'd have cried, too (actually HAVE cried when I've come home to see something precious destroyed).

Can you laugh about it yet? It's really a very funny story. Really. It is. Honest.......Too soon?????

Comment

Its all good Anne,

It will be a year ago this weekend. It is funny, the look on Rye's face, that he was so pleased with himself that he ate all those cupcakes is funny. I laughed about it the next day.

I have since left food on the table and he does not touch it, just that one time.
                                www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
                                http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

Even 20 years ago, you would've just cursed him and been done with it. While I am not advocating feeding our dogs large amounts of chocolate (or onions or raisins or grapes) dogs are omnivores and can eat lots of things that would cause humans great suffering. It seems after reading the chart on the internet, you should've just gone to sleep. But at least you found out your hydroperoxide was stale dated.
                                  ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                  Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Keep in mind it's the cocoa that's the issue, not "chocolate" in general. Some chocolate contains very little cocoa.

There's a bigger issue with how much sugar is in "chocolate" than how much cocoa if you're using semi-sweet chocolate. And if you're using milk chocolate, that's even more sugar and even less cocoa.

Comment

When my beagle/aussie mix was about 6 months old we had a birthday party at the barn where I was working. Some of the kids left the tack room door open and that pup ate an entire chocolate cake. She was miserable and puking, but the vet was pretty sure it had to do with her being 15lbs and eating a whole cake and less about the chocolate. She never did that again
                                      Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                      My equine soulmate
                                      Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Originally posted by Abberlaze View Post
                                        FYI, there is an animal poison control hotline that you can call to get information about whether what your dog consumed was toxic and if so, what you should do about it. They were super helpful when my Lab-x ate my sister's food supply for the week (she promised she had put the food in a safe place, I didn't check, and it was on the counter). $65 well worth it.
                                        Yeah, ASPCA Poison Control is helpful. The $65 seems like a lot when it's something silly (like when my ACD ate an ant trap and they told me that there wasn't enough poison in an ant trap to hurt a dog and just to watch for sharp plastic pieces). But, it's a bargain for something more serious. They will keep the case open and consult with you and your vet, for the same $65, until the animal is recovered or deceased. When my BC mix puppy ate a mushroom she found in the woods last year, they supervised my vet's treatment for several days...never did know if it was poisonous or not (it looked like an amanita). Protocol is to treat as if it is poisonous because only a mushroom expert can make a solid ID and most of us don't have one on tap. Many vets won't deal with poisoning without direction from the veterinary specialists at ASPCA Poison Control.

Comment

Working...
                                        X