• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My doberman Jake has bone cancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah shit I'm sorry. Sorry for you and Jake and Zelda and all of use that love animals that just.do.not.live.long.enough (like my whole life)!

Someone posted something on my FB wall along the lines of a dying animals last request, namely that their owner offer their "spot" to another so that as many lost, scared, sheltered animals can find love as possible.

Prayers for Jake and Zelda.

Comment

Just now reading this thread. So sorry, OP.

I've thought the same before - cruel to bring another one in near the end? But have found sometimes it relieves the sick dog of having to worry about keeping up his/her place in the pack.

I raised Labbies, and my last two had mast cell, but I was lucky enough that they still hung in there for a couple of years.

Now have an Irish Wolfhound (adopted) who is a joy. And she is 8! and in really good health. Best of luck to you. You will all be in my thoughts.
      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• Original Poster

CVPeg - I really didn't think the time would be so short when I agreed to take in the new dog - Jake had done so consistently okay. Not well, but still eating, playing, etc. I don't know if bringing in the new dog brought him down somewhat - they really haven't interacted much. I've tried to keep them separated so as not to stress Jake out.

It's funny - I haven't been without a Doberman in about 25 years. Something has always transpired to bring one into my life before I lose the one before.Sometimes I've had the new dog for years before the other dog passes, and sometimes it's just days. I guess I just have to take them as they come to me.

StG

Comment

Originally posted by StGermain View Post
          CVPeg - I really didn't think the time would be so short when I agreed to take in the new dog - Jake had done so consistently okay. Not well, but still eating, playing, etc. I don't know if bringing in the new dog brought him down somewhat - they really haven't interacted much. I've tried to keep them separated so as not to stress Jake out.

It's funny - I haven't been without a Doberman in about 25 years. Something has always transpired to bring one into my life before I lose the one before.Sometimes I've had the new dog for years before the other dog passes, and sometimes it's just days. I guess I just have to take them as they come to me.

StG
          Sounds as if you are meant to have them as you've found them. Good for them they have someone who understands them. Have never owned any, but have had good friends with some wonderful Dobies. They seem to have your situation in hand, don't they?
          But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

I am just so sorry again, jingles for Jake and glad you got the new one. I think it was the right move. This makes me think of my late Mom's beloved Dobergirl, Ruby. She was a peach.
            What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I took Jake into to see the vet, and the vet said that he doesn't seem to be in pain or anxious. The breathing issue is caused by tumors in the chest cavity impeding his lung function, but as long as Jake is eating and not anxious, he didn't see any reason to put him down yet. He said it's the end stages, but for today he's okay.

StG

Comment

Good to hear. It's SO hard, this waiting, when you know the outcome. It's so hard to know when the right time is. Sending you massive wishes for strength and peace.
                What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

I don't think it is bad you have your next dobe! We have been down to one dog for almost two months now. I was thinking about you the other day, wondering if Jake was still alive. You will know when it is time. I'm glad he isn't in pain!

Sinte' (our old dobe) thinks life is grand. He has not missed Zelda for a moment. He quickly realized there was a vacancy in the human bed and took advantage. At first he waited to sneak up, curled up on his dog bed until we went to sleep. Then he started jumping up earlier and earlier. He adores having all the attention as well. I am a little embarrassed to admit I have had him and our elderly cat to the vet now and both times been told they are fine (cat was drinking a ton of water and the dog had a weird growth). I think I have become over-vigilant/worried after Zelda passing.

We are in an ongoing dialogue (that's putting it nicely) about the breed of the next dog. *sigh*
                  DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

TrotTrotPumpkin - Here's a picture of the new dog. His name is Drago, but that's subject to change. The owner seemed so proud that he had Drago's CKC papers. The wife had a baby, and of course didn't want to get rid of her little dog, but wanted the doberman gone.

oliverreed - It is hard, waiting, knowing the outcome, not wanting him to suffer.

StG

Comment

My dad's Catahoula,Betsy, has been recently diagnosed with osteocarcoma. Right now we are giving her prednisone and tramadol and that seems to be controlling the pain. She's not a candidate for surgery. She's eating well and reasonably active but we will be putting her down soon. To top everything off, my dad is in the hospital with congestive heart failure and isn't doing too well either.
                      I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

• Original Poster

wirewieners - I'm sorry to hear about Betsy and your dad. CHF is very treatable in humans, so I hope the best for your dad. Jake has been going along just on pred and Rimadyl and has done well. The pred gives him a huge appetite, though. He's gone from 85 lbs when this started to 113 lbs today. Gained almost a 1/3 of his pre-diagnosis body weight. But I don't have the heart to say no - why should he spend his last days hungry?

StG

Comment

Ahhh sorry to hear that his cancer is progressing - I'm sure you know
                          this but just enjoy every day that you have with him and try not to worry
                          too much.

And I think he's a very lucky boy indeed to be spoiled so - give him an
                          extra treat & a pet from me.

Comment

Im sorry you are going through this. I very recently had my Rotti girl diagnosed with osteosarcoma too. I really thought I did everything right to prevent it (she isnt spayed, and she has always been on a very strict high protein raw diet). It was a tough decision but we decided to amputate because she is very young and in great shape otherwise. I really wasnt sure if it was the right decision, but I had to make a quick one because she had a fracture so it was amputate or put her to sleep. So far she has also tolerated the chemo very well and although we opted not to do radiation too the doctors feel she is doing well. Its sad to know that I may only have months, but the doctors keep assuring me that with this disease you just never know. It can be months or years. I havejoined a support group online which has been very helpful to me. If you would like the address please let me know and I would be happy to share. Lots of people in different situations (old dogs, young ones, amputated and paliative) I will keep my fingers crossed your boy continues to do well.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RottiMom View Post
                              I will keep my fingers crossed your boy continues to do well.
                              As my recent posts say, he's begun to slip. But I thank you for your well wishes and hope for the best for your rotti. Good luck to you.

StG

Comment

Originally posted by StGermain View Post
                                TrotTrotPumpkin - Here's a picture of the new dog. His name is Drago, but that's subject to change. The owner seemed so proud that he had Drago's CKC papers. The wife had a baby, and of course didn't want to get rid of her little dog, but wanted the doberman gone.

OH WOW. He is handsome! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!

oliverreed - It is hard, waiting, knowing the outcome, not wanting him to suffer.

StG
                                Oh wow. He is HANDSOME! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!
                                DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

He is cute. Drago fits him he look like a little dragon....lol
                                  Draumr Hesta Farm
                                  "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                  Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
                                    Oh wow. He is HANDSOME! I hope his temperment is as nice as his looks!
                                    I hope to get some better pics of him, he really is a handsome boy and such a snugglebunny. I let him sleep on my bed one night, but have to decide if that's something I'll continue to allow - there's so much mud that makes its way onto the sheets with farm dogs. He's the first fawn doberman I've had.

StG

Comment

I've been in your shoes...not that long ago or long enough!!! Sorry for the outcome with Jake....cancer is a nasty, cruel disease. He knows and trusts you'll do the right thing for him. As far as the rescue goes..."he" will not replace Jake, just give you something to take your mind off Jake a little bit at a time. Anytime you save an animal, you've "done good"!!
                                      www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Love dobies. We had a great one. So sorry I know how you feel my boy had bone cancer also. He had issues for a year of getting up and down really slow and a slight limp on and off. Xrayed hips and found nothing. Then about a year later vet looked again and felt down his leg and he felt the bone area where the cancer was. It was horrible news. There really isnt anything they can do. My vet said it's a very aggressive cancer and he had maybe a month before it was in his lungs and he wouldn't be able to breathe anymore. He also said his leg was very vulnerable to breaking and I just couldn't let that possibly happen. He was 120lbs and no way could I have gotten him up and to the vet if it broke at home. I wasn't going to put him through that. I decided to put him down 2 days later because of that risk and he was having such a hard time moving anymore. He use to be just sore but those last few days he could barely get up anymore. The worst part was the morning I put him down the vet came to my house to do it. I sat outside with him and held him while he did it. My boy loved the vet and that morning he actually growled at him and he had to back off a couple times. It made me question myself because he didn't seem ready to go. But now I look at it as he was very protective over me and I was a mess, crying and upset I think he was still trying to protect me till is last breathe Not understanding why I was such a mess and this vet is coming at me. I miss that dog till this day, that was 4 years ago. He was an amazing boy! So so sorry for you!
                                        Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Original Poster

Jake's gone. He was out this morning, running with the other dogs and barking at motorcyclists, then crashed this evening. I got him to the emergency vet to have him put to sleep, but he died while he was waiting to be seen. You were a good dog, Jake. I love you, baby.

StG

Comment

Working...
                                          X