• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SIL thinks we should breed GSD puppy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could print out the post from Pal-o-mino about her horrendous experience working at the puppy mill. Perhaps that would cure SIL of her breeding fixation. Or not.

Sigh. Just go get your puppy spayed and ignore her. Idiots can't be reasoned with.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

If it isn't her dog, her opinion on whether or not it should be bred is completely irrelevant.

And then , as Guin said, just spay the puppy. Won't matter what she thinks or tries to convince your husband of then.

Comment

well, for health reasons you shouldn't spay until the dog isn't a puppy anymore- two or three years old- but breeding your dog because your nosy SIL tells you to is rather silly.
        If you think breeding might be fun, well, go right ahead and see if your bitch is nice enough to breed- you'll need lots of health tests, study her family tree carefully to see if the lines are mentally and physically healthy; you'll want to get a conformation championship (big bucks); and with a GSD, it's essential you prove she's a good breeding prospect by doing well in advanced schutzhund (lots of time and money spent there, but you might enjoy it immensely, and your dog will too).
        By the time your dog is old enough to be spayed or bred, you should have a pretty good idea if your dog is nice enough to breed or not (most likely not, since only a small percentage of even the best-bred dogs are nice enough for breeding) and you'll probably be quite tired of dealing with her heats and will be eager to spay.
        On the other hand, maybe she will turn out to be fabulous enough to consider for breeding, and then you can research how to select a stud, and learn about stud fees, and all the work involved in pre-selling the puppies, and then you can read up on the horrors of raising a litter of puppies, and the horrors of whelpings gone wrong, and you'll realize you'll lose lots of money on the litter, and you'll probably spay anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
          (Jimmy Moses will probably do it for a few bucks),
          I'd like to bet that Jimmy Moses has his hands more than full with enough show quality prospects that he wouldn't be interested.

Here's a good article for you (or your SIL):

http://www.hkc.org/breeding_your_dog.htm
          Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Home Decor, Custom Gifts, ETC:
          WoofNWhinny*GIFT IDEAS for Horse Lovers!
          NEW:
          Fabric, Shoes, & Nail Art
          Personalized Gifts for Adults, Kids & Babies

Comment

Originally posted by Emryss View Post
            I wouldn't breed "just because".

I had a sister in law of a sister in law tell me that I should breed my particolor poodle pup...and this from a woman who showed poodles! This puppy was a terrible example of a poodle - downhill, long backed, no angles to speak of - there was no reason to breed him at all! Nope, Bingo is happily neutered and no puppies from him at all.
            A person who shows poodles told you this? A "parti-color" isn't even an allowed color!!!

Comment

I would keep it simple and go with "I don't want to risk the health of my beloved pet" I admit to breeding (and yes, full health screenings, AKC titles, the whole nine yards) and my husband was literally green with his head between his knees when Gayle (aka "baby girl) was on the table for her c-section. And this is with him being good friends with the veterinarian doing the surgery and married to the one running the anesthesia.

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                Tell her you think it's a fabulous idea. She can pay for the shows and the handlers (Jimmy Moses will probably do it for a few bucks), the health checks and the stud fee. Tell her she can even buy a puppy when you're done. It probably won't cost more than....oh....a few thousand dollars to get your bitch ready for breeding. IF she's show quality. Otherwise, then I'd say no thanks, we'll just spay her and enjoy her as a pet.
                I wrote this up a few years ago when I got tired of seeing people selling intact female German Shepherds as "great for breeding" or "make extra money, and breed her."

Female German Shepherd 3 yrs old (I chose 3, you'll see why)
                OFA Hip X-rays and reporting: $200 (usually more)
                DM testing, cardiac, etc.: $200 (usually more)
                Health testing as required by stud's owner: $300
                Stud fee from quality dog: $1000
                Veterinary visit confirming pregnancy: $200
                Feeding of mom (feed more - feeding more): $150 per month for a period of, let's say including after pups are born an 9 wks old - $1650 (not including any prenatal vitamins, meds)
                Follow-up Vet visits: $300
                Birth.
                Vet visit for puppies: $200
                Initial deworming and vaccinations for puppies: $50 per pup (we'll say 5 pups) - $250
                Second round of dewormer and vaccinations for puppies: $250

Total cost of producing a litter: $4,550 (and that's assuming there aren't any complications)

As someone else said, "No" is a complete sentence.
                If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                Originally posted by talkofthetown
                As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

If for some bizarre family dynamics reason you can't just tell her "NO" without a big blowup, tell her that the puppy has a rare birth defect, she was born without ovaries, soooo sad . But, you did get a discount on her.

Comment

Originally posted by HydroPHILE View Post
                    I wrote this up a few years ago when I got tired of seeing people selling intact female German Shepherds as "great for breeding" or "make extra money, and breed her."

Feeding of mom (feed more - feeding more): $150 per month for a period of, let's say including after pups are born an 9 wks old - $1650 (not including any prenatal vitamins, meds)
                    Birth.
                    Initial deworming and vaccinations for puppies: $50 per pup (we'll say 5 pups) - $250

Total cost of producing a litter: $4,550 (and that's assuming there aren't any complications)

I think you're pretty accurate. I figured out that at retail costs, my first corgi litter (not counting training classes/show fees) cost $5-6k. My husband had his first GSP litter before he met me. He kept one bitch out of a litter of 8 puppies. He tells me it would have cost less to buy a puppy from another breeder as he was about $1500 under water when all was said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerlynn View Post
                      Great answers! Clearly I can say no to my bully SIL but my husband has trouble saying no to his senior sister. There are some family issues that are very hard to figure out in this family My SIL just breeds all her females and doesn't even bother to teach them to walk on a leash let alone titling them
                      She has convinced my husband that breeding puppies is totally simple.
                      So is your husband pushing for puppies now because his sister told him to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                        SIL sounds like an irresponsible backyard breeder - one step up (or sideways) from a puppy mill.

Stick to your guns & tell your poor husband to grow a set. Geesh. Again - how old are you guys? If you're old enough to get married, you're clearly old enough to have your own morals & standards & stick by them. (One can only hope.)

I feel really sorry for you & your husband if he can be swayed by his sister re: something like this. God help you if he can be swayed by her for other more important life issues.
                        Seriously. Tell her to eff off, it's your dog. And then get her spayed (they can do that pretty young.) The dog, I mean, not the SIL, as that's unfortunately illegal in most states...
                        Author Page
                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by Canaqua View Post
                          If for some bizarre family dynamics reason you can't just tell her "NO" without a big blowup, tell her that the puppy has a rare birth defect, she was born without ovaries, soooo sad . But, you did get a discount on her.
                          If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                          DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                          Originally posted by talkofthetown
                          As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

Having just brought home a GSD from Indianapolis Animal Control last night who was due to be euthanized the next day due to failing all the Temperament Tests, and seeing another beautiful GSD in there needing to get out... I'd say don't breed her.
                            We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                            www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                              well, for health reasons you shouldn't spay until the dog isn't a puppy anymore- two or three years old-
                              Um, no. There is a significant protective benefit, in that the risk nearly goes to zero, for mammary cancer when bitches are spayed before their first heat. I hate removing mammary tumors. I also hate spaying big fat adult bitches. (I would rather cut a GDV or a foreign body!) It is not a simple, easy operation on a 3 year old bitch the way it is on a 6 or 9 month old puppy. Also from a practicality standpoint, the average owner cannot and should not be encouraged to attempt to manage an intact female for 2 or 3 years!!! I see way too many oops breedings as it is.

Comment

I am just going to assume that

(1) you are buying the puppy from a reputable breeder whose sales contract includes a clause saying that you agree to have the puppy spayed at the appropriate age; or

(2) you are adopting the puppy from a reputable rescue that has already either spayed the puppy or has in their contract a clause that you will have it done at your expense at the appropriate age.

In either case, do as a previous poster said and do not leave the puppy alone with your SIL!
                                Last edited by Wellspotted; Oct. 14, 2012, 01:08 AM.
                                Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
                                People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
                                "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Wellspotted View Post
                                  I am just going to assume that

(1) you are buying the puppy from a reputable breeder whose sales contract includes a clause saying that you agree to have the puppy spayed at the appropriate age; or

(2) you are adopting the puppy from a reputable rescue that has already either spayed the puppy or has in their contract a clause that you will have it done at your expense at the appropriate age.

In either case, do as a previous poster said and do not leave the puppy along with your SIL!
                                  Good point! Unless pup is coming from a crappy byb, breeding her shouldn't even be an issue because she'll be spayed as a pet dog. Are you getting the pup from your SIL?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BLBGP View Post
                                    Good point! Unless pup is coming from a crappy byb, breeding her shouldn't even be an issue because she'll be spayed as a pet dog. Are you getting the pup from your SIL?
                                    The contract doesn't state much at all. I am not all that impressed with these people as a kennel.....I think they are one step away from a puppy mll, but, came highly recommended by my SIL

Comment

Originally posted by gingerlynn View Post
                                      The contract doesn't state much at all. I am not all that impressed with these people as a kennel.....I think they are one step away from a puppy mll, but, came highly recommended by my SIL
                                      Well, there's your answer. Do not buy a puppy from them. Problem solved.

Now there are only 3 questions facing you.
                                      1) Do you adopt a spayed puppy from a reputable rescue (or sign a contract that you will have her spayed)? or
                                      2) Do you buy a puppy from a reputable breeder and sign a contract that you will have her spayed? or
                                      3) Do you adopt a puppy from your local humane society/shelter and sign a contract that you will have her spayed if she isn't already?

(I sympathize with you about having this SIL. I have been in a somewhat similar relationship with a somewhat similar ignorant but influential person. This one thought that the parti-poodles she bought from a backyard breeder were "party poodles" so named for their great personalities! )

Oh--BTW--can you get the almost-puppy-mill reported and shut down?
                                      Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
                                      People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
                                      "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Anne View Post
                                        Um, no. There is a significant protective benefit, in that the risk nearly goes to zero, for mammary cancer when bitches are spayed before their first heat. I hate removing mammary tumors. I also hate spaying big fat adult bitches. (I would rather cut a GDV or a foreign body!) It is not a simple, easy operation on a 3 year old bitch the way it is on a 6 or 9 month old puppy. Also from a practicality standpoint, the average owner cannot and should not be encouraged to attempt to manage an intact female for 2 or 3 years!!! I see way too many oops breedings as it is.
                                        I've seen many more spayed big fat adult bitches than intact

There is alot more of consequence than just mammary cancer- not to minimize this disease - but if you were my vet I'd be disappointed at your over-simplification of the risks/benefits of early spay/neuter ...

Just out of curiosity, are you doing laparoscopic spays or traditional?

I agree with Wellspotted, I'd be looking for a reputable breeder to buy a puppy from, or looking for a lovely dog from one of the many GSD rescues - there are so many GSD's in rescue that you can choose your preferred color, coat, type, age etc & still have many dogs to choose from

Comment

Originally posted by HydroPHILE View Post

Birth.

You're missing a few other costs, assuming you have a quality bitch and you are putting a title on her:

The cost of the show quality bitch to begin with: $1000+
                                          The cost to show her and demonstrate that she is show-worthy: ???

Hard to say how much....even if you can't get Jimmy Moses to handle, you will still rack up some expenses. I'm not sure I really want to total up how much I spent to get my dog's Ch. but it is important to have an idea of the cost if you're a breeder - you need to know if you can finish the dog easily enough to make it worth the effort.

I saw a dog finish in 3 shows this past summer - won the breed from the classes and won the group 3 days in a row. Wow. But most nice dogs aren't that lucky, even if they are almost perfect. So....$30 entries for somewhere between 10 and 30? shows?

$300-900 in show entries or more...
                                          Handling....if necessary...$50-100+ per show....(let's just say $500)

Travel costs, hotels, grooming....(I am sure I easily spent $1000 or more)...

So on top of your $4550, you can reasonably add another $3K if you are talking about breeding a show quality dog)....$7550+....for one litter.

Breeding a quality animal is not for the faint of heart! And not usually a money making endeavor if you really total up the costs....

Comment

Working...
                                          X