• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you get dogs legs into a tee shirt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get dogs legs into a tee shirt?

I just got a new little shelter dog that is not at all what I wanted or needed but she just captivated me and tugged on my heart strings so I brought her home. She's a little Shar-pei/probably terrier mix about 35 lbs and about 10 ys old and no hair coat at all. Very sleek and way too short to be the barn dog I needed. She's definitely a house dog that needed a forever home and I had 'sucker' written all over my forehead.

Anyway, it's down right cold in the mornings here-about the 40's to 50's so when I take her out to the barn in the morning she can only stay a little while. So I figured I'd go get her a couple of doggie blankets. I head over to Pet Smart and I got her a raincoat and another warm fleece blanket but both have leg holes for her front legs. One velcro'ed up the back and the other down her belly. I tried to get her into it and there was not way she was going to put up with that. I'd get one leg in, start to work on the other leg and next thing I knew, the first leg was out. Those will go back tomorrow. I did get her an acrylic sweater that buttons on and I can get that on her for the time being.

I have an order ready to go into Big Dee Tack for a raincoat and 2 blankets, one being a cute Baker plaid and the other a nice nylon one with fill. No damned leg holes in either-like horse blankets sort of.

So even though I'll probably take the rain coat and other blanket back that have legs on them I'd love to know how you get a dog into them.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Depends on the dog. Our bichon had no problem with them, besides giving us a good Go To Hell Glare. For one that's less into it, I'd fuss over the dog while you sneak the sweater onto their leg. Big scritchits, praise, treat, take it off. Repeat, leaving it on for increasing longer periods. Work up to the whole sweater on the dog for short periods of time.

My sister's Doberman was the coldest dog I've ever seen. She'd lay next to the heating vent and still be shivering. She got a fleece jacket that she had on pretty much 24/7 Nov-March, and her bed was a big old comforter that she got tucked into at night.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I know a dog (a terrier) who hates velcro, will turn into a badger when he hears it. Maybe if you took her to the barn without anything on, gave her a good chance to get cold, then took out the sweater and offered to put it on her, she'd figure out that this wasn't just you being a pest. I'm aware this sounds a bit far-fetched, but I suspect a smart and/or freezing dog could figure out the connection quickly.

Comment

Sorry we cant help without picures!

Comment

My boxer practically lives in her blankets/coats all winter. She HATES them and while she now lets me put them on, she does everything she can to get them off, then stands there shivering and practically begging me to put them back on...I've resorted to duct tape a few times!

As far as getting them on, she got lots of treats and praise, I also learned to be quick about slipping them on and doing them up!

It took some practice, my girl was a rescue and was not treated well at all, from her reaction to them I doubt she'd ever been near one, never mind worn one. It took time but now she just stands there and glares at me. (then turns herself inside out to get it off! The little twit! lol)

Comment

My co-worker has PJs for her greyhounds.

StG

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by godiva13 View Post
              Sorry we cant help without picures!
              It's rather funny that I worked for Eastman Kodak for 31 years and the camera I do have doesn't have any film in it. Sorry, don't hold your breath waiting for a picture. I guess I'd better go find some film.

The last roll I used (35mm) had pics on it from '07-12!
              Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Stick head in, then stick your arm thru one armhole, cup one front leg by the bent ankle and slip up and back thru the hole
                Then next.
                Every short haired dog we had, dobies, great dane, italian greyhound and rat terrier, learned that at times, in the winter, getting a coat on is what it takes to go out the door when people put coats on, so they are patient about it.

I prefer those coats that go over the head and then velcro or somehow tie around the belly anyway.

Comment

My daughter's JRT has figured out that to be warm in the winter, He needs to wear either a sweater or his blanket. I have made fleece dog coats that slip on over his head and velco to the other side.

also I have knit him a sweater which he loves!

I don;t ever remember his putting up a fuss, but he may have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    Stick head in, then stick your arm thru one armhole, cup one front leg by the bent ankle and slip up and back thru the hole
                    Then next.
                    This is what I do Except mine is a Boston Terrier so I only have to stick a couple of fingers through the leg hole to hook a paw to thread through... fortunately not a whole arm!
                    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions and help

I'm seriously thinking about taking those blankets back and ordering a few from Dover that look like horse blankets. It's what I had for a previous dog and hooking it up was not a problem. Unfortunately the one I do have is way too big for this little girl. She's only about 35 lbs and he was ~ 80 lbs if I remember correctly.

But, please, do continue to come up with suggestions. I do have a sweater that I can get on him as it buttons on both sides so all I have to do is slip it over her head and then button the sides. No messing with pulling paws through.
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by StGermain View Post

StG
                        WANT.

Comment

My Yorkie had sweaters for the odd occasions when it got super cold. He HATED them. Seriously, the same little dog who normally did happy dances all over the house when the leash came out had to be dragged outside if he had his sweater on. I truly think he was embarrassed.

Comment

Bluey described it how i do it, too. Head leg leg. It's much harder for the dog to get out of the first leg hole when his other front leg is held up, getting pulled through the jacket.

Good on you for taking in an older special needs type girl. She definitely got an upgrade!!

After a majorly stupid grooming attempt, on the steep incline side of the learning curve, I found myself running to the petstore for an article of dog clothing that offered the maximum coverage, in order to hide my shame (or, my new dog's shame....). I've mentioned this before, i know, but it really was *that bad*. Anyway, I came home with this http://www.dukeandfritz.com/images/p...s_lovemeII.JPG
                            it wasn't thick enough to really offer much in January (i guess more like a stable sheet), but it worked for the two weeks that i had to use it. Seriously, he looked like he had been experimented on. With waxing strips.
                            Last edited by bits619; Sep. 23, 2012, 11:39 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

StG
                              Originally posted by vacation1 View Post
                              WANT.

DITTO

Comment

StG
                                Serious cuteness! I'm now trying to figure out if there's a reason to have my golden retriever wear pj's.

Comment

Originally posted by msj View Post
                                  I'm seriously thinking about taking those blankets back and ordering a few from Dover that look like horse blankets. It's what I had for a previous dog and hooking it up was not a problem. Unfortunately the one I do have is way too big for this little girl. She's only about 35 lbs and he was ~ 80 lbs if I remember correctly.

But, please, do continue to come up with suggestions. I do have a sweater that I can get on him as it buttons on both sides so all I have to do is slip it over her head and then button the sides. No messing with pulling paws through.
                                  I ordered http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...oat-3877p.aspx recently for my girl and it's due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.

BTW, you must look at the small version of this blanket that they show on a llaso apso (I think) because it's enough to make me want a small, short-coated dog.

Comment

I had the sweaters with leg holes for my mini aussie when she was a pup(about 5lbs when I got her). I got these pretty cheap at Walmart. I put them on as Bluey described. When she was full grown she graduated to the horse blanket type. She has an assortment of "weights" as she goes to the barn with me almost everyday. She has two medium to heavy weights and one fleece. I am thinking about getting another fleece one and a sheet weight. (handy to have a change when one gets all dirty and needs to be washed). I figured with the sheet type I could layer over a fleece coat if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
                                      I ordered http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...oat-3877p.aspx recently for my girl and it's due to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.
                                      I have that and the fleece. Plus side it is waterproof. Downside it is very, very stiff. Supposed to have some fill -I think- but it is really more of a shell. I layer the fleece underneath for the walks in very nasty weather which really limits range of motion.

The Smartpak fleece is the go-to, mobile enough for playing and curling up inside, and 75% of the time I can leave the old man in it and come home to him still in it. 25% of the time he'll get one leg over the velcro chest closure and gets stuck like that til a human intervenes.

Comment

I find the "horse blanket" style dog coats tend to slide sideways off the dog and constantly need to be pulled back into place, and/or they come off easily (when you don't want them too) especially if they have front velcro closures. Front velcro closures = dog will regularly re-appear naked and if you're lucky you'll find the coat abandoned somewhere or stuck in a bush.

The best design for dogs, in my experience, there's a hole for the head and then a flap that goes down between the front legs and covers the chest and then the flap comes up and fastens to the sides of the coat near the flank- with this design, it's easy to take on and off but doesn't come off accidentally and it stays put on the dog. There are many brands that are taking up this design, here are some examples so you can see what I mean:

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=168

http://www.ruffwear.com/K9?sc=2&category=12

Comment

Working...
                                        X