• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is Bruno getting protective?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bruno getting protective?

I plan to ask our obedience trainer too, but thought I would post here since we have such a wealth of knowledge.

Bruno is a 5 month old Boxer. Doesn't bark at home except when playing. Doesn't react to the doorbell or knocking or people coming in, except, "Oh hi!" *cue wiggly butt*. We have been attending puppy and obedience classes, soccer games, softball games, parties, visiting, and made it through the list of socialization suggestions.

Yesterday, I walked him up to the school to pick up the kids. While we were waiting outside, a man came walking across the field to pick up his kid. Bruno's hackles raised and he started doing the "alert! something is amiss!" quiet woofs.

I tried to tell him "Thank you, that's enough" and redirect his attention to commands (sit, down, come front, heel). He did as asked but he wanted to keep an eye on the guy. He never progressed to full out barking or growling, but I could see where this may happen in the future.

He did this hackles raised/quiet woofing once before - at my mother-in-laws. His second visit there and we were standing outside and he saw someone walking their dog next door. That time I simply called him to me and that distracted him enough to forget about the other dog.

So, wise COTHers, what do you do with that?

PS - The only other issue I have with him right now is that he keeps stealing the freaking toilet paper and shredding it!!

I learned ALOT researching for my GSD. You want to socialize him like crazy as a puppy, they learn good people behavior from bad people behavior that way. At your pups age, I think the consensus would be he's way too young to be "protective". What he's doing is actually a fear response. The best thing that could have happened right then would have been for the guy to come up and meet him (talk quietly as he walked by) , show him there's nothing wrong with a person walking by. Get your pup out there, to ballgames, walking where there's lots of people, parks, wherever he will interact with lots of different people's actions. The protectiveness might come later and you want to make sure he can tell the difference.
    Kerri

Comment

• Original Poster

that is what I am trying to stress. Bruno goes with us almost everyday somewhere meeting new people and new situations and he seems fine with them.

Next time I will ask the guy to come say hello.

Comment

Keep doing it ;-) he will figure it out....he's still a baby.....
        Kerri

Comment

But maybe the guy WAS shady?

My now 9 YO lab is more likely to lick a burglar to death than anything else. But I kid you not, he has twice just gone bat poo over certain people. One he knew well (and was attacking me in my home), the other was approaching with a dog who had attacked others and I believe he was protecting the wee one I had with me.

If he's otherwise well adjusted, I think I would keep my eyes and ears open but be willing to consider the possiblity that the dog knew something you did not.
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Some time ago I had a coonhound/shepherd mix. This dog loved EVERYBODY, and would go at some speed to say HELLO!!! Thankfully he didn't jump...
            When he was about 5 yrs old, I was on a road trip, running a bit early so stopped to get the car washed. Took the dog in the lounge to wait; some guy walked in; my hound dog (on a leash) took one look at him, backed up and growled. The only time in his 13++ yrs that he did such a thing. The guy looked perfectly ok to me, but I guess he wasn't
            We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

I agree with BuddyRoo, I think my animals have a reason for odd behavior. My TB loves men, but not one groom. He got agitated when the groom walked by, held out his hand and tried to make nice. A fellow boarder told me he had pushed my horse aside with his mucking rake prongs hard.
              My horse was right, and the guys "over nice" behavior confirmed it.

Doesn't mean your father at school is a pyscho, but he might be a dog kicker at home and your dog knows it. My SO doesn't like cats, won't pet them doesn't want them on his lap, says " they want to be left alone", but my cats adore him and always seek him out. Even the barn cat at the stable came out of the barn to lie down and roll on his shoe. The cats know he is a gentle safe soul

Comment

I'd like to think dogs can somehow scent a "bad guy" from across a field that neither they nor the owner have never met --that WOULD be convenient for everyone! (Except the bad guy.)

More likely there was something that the dog noticed that worried it. A strange outline, something about the guy's walk, maybe he had his hands in his pockets and looked to the dog like he had no arms, maybe the guy smokes cigars, or maybe just the fact of some guy out in a field--the possibilities are endless. I had a lovely, friendly puppy who was terrified of my friend after she got hair extensions. (I kind of agreed with the dog.)

One night our current dog happened to look up and see the ceiling fan in a room he'd been in for a year, and got scared. It wasn't even on! The next night long after he'd normally have gone to bed, he was alarm barking off in another part of the house. When my DH finally went to find out what was wrong, turned out the dog had gotten himself stuck on the far side of the room, afraid to go out under the fan! When my DH opened the back door, he rushed out in a panic to escape. Ever since, he looks up at ceilings as if aliens might land.

I'm sure dogs think we're whacky. They probably have threads on doggie forums:
                My Mom Went Ballistic! WWYD? Last night I was in the bathroom and my mom came in and just started yelling at me for no reason! Then she banged down the seat on the commode and dragged me out by my collar! She took me over to my water bowl, but I wasn't thirsty. Couldn't she see that I'd just had plenty to drink? I'd never bite her, of course, but I have to admit I kinda felt a buzzing in my teeth. WWYD? Should I sleep on the floor or on the bed tonight?
                Ring the bells that still can ring
                Forget your perfect offering
                There is a crack in everything
                That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                  More likely there was something that the dog noticed that worried it. A strange outline, something about the guy's walk, maybe he had his hands in his pockets and looked to the dog like he had no arms, maybe the guy smokes cigars, or maybe just the fact of some guy out in a field--the possibilities are endless.
                  I agree. You don't know what he saw (or smelled for that matter) and I'd hate to project. If he does this again, try backing up away from the stranger if possible and just let him work it out. Once he is a little less focused, try some simple commands. If he can't do them, he can't. I also would not encourage scary people to come to him. Once he is a little more confident, they can come up, but for now.....I'd not make a big deal of it and just keep some distance so my dog was comfortable.

Comment

Dear Melanthellc dog,
                    Sorry to hear about your Mom's strange behavior. Humans have limited capacity in many areas, their inability to smell comes to mind, they can't hunt prey without us and they tire easily. Mostly they lack understanding and memory. That you and I remember Pterosaurs from our ancient forefathers and that you saw one in the ceiling and your Mom failed to recognize it just another example of their sweet but limited minds.
                    They are however friendly animals to live with and they can provide meals and be trained to open doors for us, I would not dismiss them as a species.
                    Just remember to keep training them, be gentle but persistent and the outcome should be a happy one. They respond well to tail wagging and a good lick on the hand. Remember they can provide bacon and are well worth the investment of time and love you put into them.
                    Sincerely,
                    Labby Landers

Comment

I will say, on behalf of MelantheLLC dog, that ceiling fan never did work right.

Maybe he's worth his bacon.
                      Ring the bells that still can ring
                      Forget your perfect offering
                      There is a crack in everything
                      That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Working...
                      X