• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Old dogs' quality of life - what do you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old dogs' quality of life - what do you do?

My Std poodle is 13 and still in good shape. I walk her almost everyday, and she still displays bursts of puppy-dog behavior (i.e, running around like a lunatic).

She is blind in one eye, and very hard of hearing, so now I have to put her on the leash a lot more than I used to, but the worst problem is...

her breath.

She stinks!!

I've tried the "greenies" treats but I didn't smell much difference, and they seem to make her sick. She's always had a sensitive tummy.

She gets a can of wet food in the am and all the dry food she wants. She's picky and never over-eats.

She is not on any supplement, but maybe it is time to start...

So, what do you do when your dog has bad breath?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Take her to the vet for a thorough oral exam, dental cleaning, and possibly some tooth extraction if she has such bad breath and hasn't had regular dental cleaning.

Comment

My old dog has bad breath but isn't a candidate for sedation for cleaning (the vet determined this). She also has a broken tooth that the vet would love to get out of there if she's ever sedated for anything else (unlikely). Once every year or two she gets a course of antibiotics which takes care of the bad breath for a while. I promise with my next dog, I'll take better care of her teeth earlier in life!

Comment

• Original Poster

She was just recently checked by a vet, he didn't think anything was amiss, other than old age...maybe I should get a second opinion.

Comment

I've never met a standard poodle with GOOD breath, but I haven't met all that many standard poodles. Maybe they all have it and yours is just normal? :-)

Comment

I agree with the 2nd opinion idea.

My aged rat terrier had such bad teeth and my vet believed he was in pain. OTOH, not a good candidate for sedation (heart murmur).

I don't think this applies in your dog's case, but I decided to go ahead with the dental and if he didn't survive the sedation, so be it. He did survive and is still here 2 years later.

Comment

Hello,

I had this very problem with my Sheltie. She had regular cleanings every 5 or so years but is now a much more senior dog and don't want her sedated. She is 15 going on 16 and still beautiful though a little more gray. What I do with her is brush her teeth. She is an excellent old gal, and she sits there and takes it but she doesn't like it one bit. What I do is use a tiny amount of little kid toothpaste, and soak the toothbrush in scope. The I brush all her little mouth, and resoak and reapply toothpaste as needed. Again, I use very little. It does not froth at all. I brush her teeth twice a day, and her breath is great. At first her gums would bleed a little but they don't anymore.

I have also started brushing all our dogs teeth, with the hopes of keeping them healthier. The aussie and the corgi HATE it. They put up with me but they hate it, so I do them once a day. We also have three LGDs and I do them once a week. They don't mind much at all.

I know it sounds silly, and I assure you I am not a crazy tree hugger, but it has helped my old lady with her stinkyness and I don't imagine it hurts the others. Yes , each dog has his or her own toothbrush :-)

Typing it makes me sounds kooky, but promise they are all good working farm dogs.

Comment

Go to the vet! We had a dog in the family with a skin condition that had bad breath as a symptom and right now are busy throwing out the couch and contemplating the carpet next. The doggie smell got into everything and although the medication isn't cheap neither is new carpet and a couch.

Scuse - get a second opinion - although brushing dogs' teeth could work quite well, my elderly mom can't brush well and I set down and brush hers for her and it really makes a difference!
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

I agree with the dental check up/ second opinion, but also like large raw meaty bones for helping keep teeth clean and breath fresh.
                  http://www.tunnelsendfarm.com

Comment

I old dog had terrible breath too. I finally figured out it was the fish oil pills we gave her. She would NOT put up with having her teeth cleaned.

I remember seeing a product that you could put in the water and it helped clean their teeth. There was also something you could wipe on the teeth. I have no idea if these work though.

My current dog has a elk antler that keeps his teeth clean. He also gets sweet potato chews (not the ones from china) that have a similar consistency to greenies but the only ingredient is sweet potatoes. They are called Sam's Yams and SmartPak carries them. They will probably be alot easier on her stomach than the greenies.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll ask my vet to go ahead and clean her teeth thoroughly anyway. I don't like the idea of general anesthesia but she should be able to take it, she's in good health overall...
                      I just can't see myself brushing her teeth 2x a day...Nope, won't happen. lol

I know a good, big raw bone would be ideal, but I worry about her ingesting parts of it. It doesn't take much for her to get sick. Just a tiny bit of hoof shavings after the farrier's visit will do it!
                      I'll look into those sweet potato chews.

Comment

Just to put it out there - clean teeth doesnt always mean better breath. It CAN help for sure, but often times it doesnt unless there is an abcessed tooth or infection going on.

Kidney disease can cause a foul odor to the breath.

My old girl has stinky breath, her teeth are fine and so are her kidneys. My gramma has bad breath too. I refrain from letting either kiss me.

Comment

A bad odor from the mouth is probably dirty teeth- can't you just look at them see if they are dirty vs. sparkly white, or if the gums look inflamed or something? if you don't want to brush, there are many options- chews, sprays, vet cleaning.
                          Other causes of foul odors near the mouth are sinus infections, ear infections, abscesses in the skin, and metabolic problems like kidney or liver disease, or even diabetes.
                          bottom line it's NOT just "old age" it's something unhealthy and specific that needs to be identified and addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                            A bad odor from the mouth is probably dirty teeth- can't you just look at them see if they are dirty vs. sparkly white, or if the gums look inflamed or something? if you don't want to brush, there are many options- chews, sprays, vet cleaning.
                            Other causes of foul odors near the mouth are sinus infections, ear infections, abscesses in the skin, and metabolic problems like kidney or liver disease, or even diabetes.
                            bottom line it's NOT just "old age" it's something unhealthy and specific that needs to be identified and addressed.
                            Old age yes, can cause bad breath. As we age, epithelium dies off quicker and does not regnerate as well as the younger. This includes mucous membranes, often causing smell, inflammation etc. Fermentation time also changes as we age...probiotics can sometimes help, but its an ageing process of all creatures.

However, saying that, yes there are many other causes. Other than routine blood testing and general mouth exam you could go hunting for years before finding a sourse (if you even find one).

Clean teeth are great, Im not suggesting you dont clean them. However what I was saying is that simply cleaning plaque off teeth may not resolve a stinky breath problem. If there is a decaying tooth, abcess etc. than that absolutley will contribute to bad breath. Generally with a sinus problem you are going to see other signs accompany bad breath. With organ failure, you would have likely picked this up on bloodwork.

If your poodle also has any long fur around its mouth, the tanglement of fur around the teeth can cause an awful smell (ever pulled a hair clot out of the bathroom??).

Comment

I agree with the second opinion for the teeth...

And old age is not a reason not to sedate or address the teeth. With careful attention to the drugs/monitoring used, even with heart murmurs (common in old dogs) they can be safely anesthetized.

Veterinary patients are so good at hiding pain/discomfort, that often we don't realize how much bad teeth are bothering them, until they are fixed and at the two week recheck, they're like different animals!

Comment

I would get a second opinion, too. If her teeth are nasty it can not only make her breath stink but do physical damage as well. She could be swallowing nasty bacteria every single time she swallows.
                                You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

The only caution is that the dental cleaning itself can release a lot of bad bacteria into the blood stream/system --does one ever use antibiotics on dogs prohylactically before cleaning like you do on humans with certain issues? (Like folks with replaced joints can end up with joint infections and people with murmurs can end up with bacterial heart infections etc.)

Comment

omare, yes. Sometimes there is a pre med w/abx prior to a prophy in some cases just like in human cases. I've worked in both fields.

If good blood work is done ahead of time to look at organ function and a safe gas anesthetic like isofluorane is used while being monitored, the risk of the prophy procedure is less than the risk of bad teeth IMHO. BUt I'm not a vet.
                                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

On the teeth brushing idea as well... both my dogs love the toothpaste I use on them; it's vanilla mint so it smells good for humans, but the dogs love the taste. You can also get the little finger brushes that are soft rubber and have little nubs, which are easier to brush with than a normal toothbrush.
                                      "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Working...
                                      X