• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

He's HOME!!!!! Jingles for my kitten that got out of the house this morning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's HOME!!!!! Jingles for my kitten that got out of the house this morning

I am having a super stressful day, and to top it off, my poor husband left the door open and our semi-feral young cat got out. The cat did come flying back around trying to get in the house, but the doors were closed and he took off. This was a feral kitten that we trapped with his brothers and sisters and decided to keep him. He is hunkered down in the shed thank goodness, but we live on a busy road and I am worried he could get spooked. I am sitting in my office with the other animals barricaded elsewhere in the house and the door open for the cat to come back in. Problem is, I do not think he will cross the yard in broad daylight. We are supposed to go out with some friends who are moving tonight, so I really hope he is back before then. I did see him in the shed, but he totally panics - like he doesn't even recognise me - so picking him up is not an option.

Jingles for his safe return would be greatly appreciated - he is my little buddy and I worked so hard to rescue him and his mother, father and siblings...

Here is little Harry Potter Ryan (he's not so little now at almost a year old, but still a kitten to me):
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps53e6901e.jpg

1-6-13 - 4 months after he went missing, he is purring on my lap! Update on last post.
    Last edited by witherbee; Jan. 9, 2013, 04:27 PM. Reason: happy update

Ugh - I hate when this happens! I have 2 that go wild when the get outside - it's like they forget who I am. Can you put a can of food inside the threshold? Or lock him in the shed until he gets hungry & approachable? Jingles he comes home!

Comment

I second the food idea. Also, what if you took his bed (that is HIS, right? ) and put it out there with him. It'll smell like "home" and could be retrieved later once you've trapped his furry hiney.
      Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

• Original Poster

Unfortunatly he is not food driven at all. I cannot close him in - the shed is open all over the place - it's basically an old chicken coop and garage that we use for storage.

I think the main issues are that he got loose when it was dark, and now that it is light he feels too exposed to come out. Other big issue is that I have 3 other ferals out there and one domestic outdoor cat. His mom and dad are out there, Jack Sparrow the one-eyed feral, and my fluffy cat Peaches. I think he is afraid of them too. Jack would chase him as would Peaches (I think).

I will take some cold cuts out and sit there to see if he'll come. Problem is, if he comes I don't think he will let me catch him. I don't have a trap and he really reverts to feral outside, so not sure I could carry him over to the house...

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I think he will be home when it gets dark, so looks like I will be missing dinner with friends tonight....

As long as he comes in I will be happy - he's so sweet. I see his feral mom and dad and it makes me sad that they were not loved. I bet they would be as sweet as him if they had been handled. Same with Captain Jack - he seems scary and mean, but is starting to meow when he sees me with the food and even follows me around the yard. He gets about 3 feet from me. Harry's feral mother actually gets on my lap if I sit on the steps, but FREAKS if I try to pick her up... Maybe over time I can desensitize her to that.

I'll update when there is news (hopefully GOOD news!).

Comment

If you can get close enough to scoop him up, a pillow case, makes a great place to plop one for transport into the house. That's how I got a couple of feral mom cats in order to get them to the vet for spaying. (Transferred from pillowcase to carrier).

Comment

• Original Poster

No shot to get close enough. My only hope is to somehow herd him towards the house and he'll run in and hide under the bed. Left the door open all day with the other animals shut away in the other part of the house. No luck. Cannot find him at all in the shed so he is either hiding really good or is not in there. Left the door open and tried to make it more inviting to run towards the house, but now luck. Will try when it is dark in the morning if I can get my husband to not scare him away. This is not good - I really am worried about the little bugger.

To top it off, one of my dogs is evidently incontinent - need to figure out which one - basically flooded my bedroom floor which I stepped in because I left the light off (hubby was already asleep). It's either the old Chessie or the Corgi. Both are on anti-biotics and prednisone for hot spots, so its' probably the prednisone. The Chessie has been drinkin a lot, so maybe her. Weird because neither of them EVER have accidents in the house and neither of them "asked" to go out...

Jingle jingle for poor Harry. Things are so stressful with my job, and to have this going on is really freaking me out. I just pray he runs in when my husband gets up in the morning or during the night.

Comment

Jingles that Harry finds his way from shed to nice, safe house.
              The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I caught a feral kitten once who was stubbornly resisting the food and trap by "fishing" for him around a corner. Even though he was alone and terrified (had already caught his entire family a few days before; he was the hold out and wasn't going in the box that made them all disappear, not even for tuna), he still had some play in him when he didn't realize I was there. If you spot where he is, you might try a lunging whip or something, then slowly switching to closer range. Be ready on the grab, though; you will only get one shot at it. And wear heavy gloves.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all - no sign of him at all today. I sure miss my little buddy - he normally cuddles on my lap while I work. I really was hoping he'd be looking to come in early this morning. After work I'm going to go sit out in the shed with a book and just wait to see if he comes out...

Comment

Jingling like mad that Harry comes home. I would imagine that there is food out there, for the other feral cats? If not, be sure to put some out for him. Maybe, with time, he will come to where the food is and you can figure out a way to catch him then.
                    If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                    Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Original Poster

Harry is still missing and I just have a strong feeling that he is not in the shed. I did hear a cat fight the night before last - I think Capt'n Jack is keeping him out of his territory. I sat half the night with some really smelly cat food and a humane trap, but no sign of him. Will try one more barn over - my neighbor told me that these folks are not home and took their dogs away, so I will see if he is in their barn.

This is just awful - I miss him so much and just thinking of him out there all alone breaks my heart. No one touched the food that I left at the neighbor's barn.

To add to the mess, Cap'n Jack crossed the street when I was talking to some folks out in our driveway. It is a super busy street where they drive around 50 to 60 MPH, so I am really bothered that he goes there. I hope he makes it back accross ok!

Comment

I was sooo hoping he came home. Trying to think cat psychology here - my cats love to do what they're not supposed to....what if you crack the front door without leaving it wide open? Do you think he would come in through a window? My last thought is completely stupid, but I have a dvd called video cat nip....it has various nature sounds & bird sounds & my cats love it - come running when they hear it. Maybe if you google bird sounds & play it over your pc, phone - whatever - you might get his attention. He is probably just hunkered down somewhere. Silly kitty - GO HOME!!!!!

Comment

Jingling for the kitty to get his furry bum home!

Comment

Oh, I hope he gets home safely! Our cats are all indoors only, but my son's cat has gotten out twice in her 8+ years. Since she has so little experience being "int he wild", it terrifies her and despite how much she loves my son, she will not come to him (or anyone).

We have used a humane trap on both occasions and it did the trick both times. The first time she was gone for four days and the second time she was gone for two days.
                            Sheilah

Comment

• Original Poster

I am really feeling so sad and discouraged. I have th ehumane trap, but don't even know where to put it. I checkout out our shed, the neighbors barn and also the property beyond that farm. It just doesn't feel like he is there. I put the trap out and no luck. If I put it at my farm or the closest neighbors, I'll just catch the other ferals.

This is just so heartbreaking. I miss my boy and worry about him out there all alone. The not knowing is the worst.

Comment

Hoping kitty comes home safe and soon.

I had a similar situation a few years back--a rescued feral who had become my indoor buddy got out, panicked when he couldn't get back in, and took off. I combed the woods and barns for him, but didn't feel like he was there, period. I put up notices and kept in touch with the shelters, but since I lived on the edge of the woods, I figured he was gone, gone.

Two weeks later, I heard a 'meow' on the porch. I didn't see him, but put his brother in the bathroom and opened up all the doors around the house, and not five minutes later, he slunk back in, a few pounds lighter, but none the worse for wear.

Wishing that kind of outcome for you and yours, with all my heart.

Comment

• Original Poster

Jess h - I keep thinkling that might happen - that he'll just show up. Unfortunately it is all up to him at this point. I really hope he just shows up. I must have been dreaming about him last night - woke up from a sounds sleep and ran to the door thinking he was there....

Comment

Jingles for Harry Potter Ryan to come home soon!!!

Comment

My three kitties and I send ENORMOUS amounts of jingles for Harry to get his adorable little self home!
                                      I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Comment

Witherbee, another COTHer jingling for you...I have been checking this thread, hoping for good news. I would be so distressed if mine slipped out, I can imagine how stressed you are. Hoping for Harry's return soon!
                                        "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Comment

Working...
                                        X