• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Swallowed Deer Antler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swallowed Deer Antler?

My Boxer mix is a very aggressive chewer and needs the ability to really chew on something a couple times per week to be satisfied. After trying many chew options, she has done very well with natural deer antlers. Typically one thick 8" antler piece will last her several months (chewing about an hour per day). I just purchased her a new one, from the same brand (Artvark) as always.

She chewed on it 1 hr last night and it showed minimal wear like usual. Tonight she chewed for about 1.5 hours and it had a decent size chunk missing (about 1/2 inch in size?). She was really going to town chewing and I suppose it is possible she chewed the end down that much, but in my experience with this dog it typically takes longer than that. She is not acting sick ATM.

Should I be concerned if she DID in fact swallow about a 1/2 inch piece of antler?

Does anyone have any other chew recommendations or positive/negative antler experiences?

I'd very much be worried, especially if you've passed the vomiting time frame (and if its a piece of shrapnel I'd be hesitant about it anyway). Remember NO metoclopramide and that it can sometimes take a few days + before symtoms can show up. Keep checking poop and under the couch for that piece and hope you find it, because if dog did swallow a 1/2 inch piece it won't pass easily. How big is the dog? I did have a dog eat a popsicle stick whole (was licking on it and licked too hard, sucked it down) and then subsequently pass it in about the same condition...anything's possible.

Comment

• Original Poster

No vomiting or any indication of discomfort. Eating, drinking, and playing normal. She is ~40 pounds.

Will antlers be digested? I would assume the marrow part would, but not sure about the harder outer part?

What is metoclopramide?

Comment

I think dogs are perfectly capable of digesting chunks of antler. It's essentially just bone, and dogs can digest non-heat-treated bone quite readily (ask any raw feeder).

Comment

We are talking about the antlers sold at dog boutiques right? I don't feed raw (because I see too many perforations at work to ever be motivated to) but the dog antlers to chew on I'm familiar with are viciously hard and I don't think would ever digest compared to a raw chicken bone. Not worth really pondering over though, hope it passes in whatever form it chooses!

Comment

I'm certain I'd be worried enough I'd want an xray to see if/where it is. There are times that preventive $$$ is well spent and this would be one of them for me.

Comment

Id monitor for sure. If its not sharp, it may pass with no issue or digest with no complications. But be careful, I have known MANY dogs to present with esophogeal or SI perforation emergencies from chewing on certain types of bones (generally round or sharp). Most dogs can deal with bones with no issues, but if you feed them on a regular basis might be worth investing in pet insurance for the "just incase".

Comment

As others here have said, I'd just continue to keep an eye on her. Don't work yourself up over worst case scenarios or rushing her to the vet for pricey x-rays at the moment. Just keep a closer eye on the dog for the usual signs of digestive discomfort - depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea (with or without blood), lack of being able to get comfortable lying down, etc., etc.

If your dog isn't showing any of these signs during the next 2 weeks or so, I'd rest assured that nothing untoward is going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                  Id monitor for sure. If its not sharp, it may pass with no issue or digest with no complications. But be careful, I have known MANY dogs to present with esophogeal or SI perforation emergencies from chewing on certain types of bones (generally round or sharp). Most dogs can deal with bones with no issues, but if you feed them on a regular basis might be worth investing in pet insurance for the "just incase".
                  Squish, can you elaborate a bit on what types of bones to avoid? Are you talking about raw ones? The only kind I give my Springer (a very aggressive chewer) are the plain white boiled ones, quite hard. She loves the knobby ones best (hip joints) but will gnaw on the straight or small round ones as well. Especially when she works on the knobby ones she will break off little bitty pieces, and I think some of them go down the hatch. We haven't *knock on wood* experienced any issues so far (and they sure keep her teeth clean), but just thought I'd ask...

By the way, I spent a bunch on a piece of antler once, and she demolished it in like 20 minutes. So much for "lasting longer!"
                  "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

Comment

I feel for you, my Boxer just passed half a rubber ball
                    It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

It is 1/2" piece, perhaps 1/2" across? You dog is a Boxer-X. It is not the size I would worry about, judging what our Bull Terriers have passed, and if it was chewed off maybe guess that it was not too jagged. If our dogs had x-rays every time they got into something we would be broke. We don't feed bones to those massive jaws. Kongs have worked for them.

I can see your dilema, tho.
                      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Squish, can you elaborate a bit on what types of bones to avoid? Are you talking about raw ones? The only kind I give my Springer (a very aggressive chewer) are the plain white boiled ones, quite hard. She loves the knobby ones best (hip joints) but will gnaw on the straight or small round ones as well. Especially when she works on the knobby ones she will break off little bitty pieces, and I think some of them go down the hatch. We haven't *knock on wood* experienced any issues so far (and they sure keep her teeth clean), but just thought I'd ask...
                        anything heat-treated should be avoided- nothing boiled, nothing smoked, no leftovers from a cooked human meal. Heat alters the chemical composition and they become indigestible and more brittle. For example, I often feed raw knuckle bones (the knobby ends from the joints), and the dogs gnaw off the softer joint surface and consume it and digest it. I once was given a smoked knuckle bone and gave it, with misgivings, and had dogs vomiting bone shards and pooping out bone shards, it was not a good situation- smoking renders the bone indigestible. With the raw knuckle, the bone bits that are swallowed turn soft in the acid of the stomach and totally digest.

You should avoid hard weight-bearing bones like cow shanks because even when raw dogs can break teeth on them and have trouble digesting them- the popular "marrow bone" slices from cow leg bones are rather dangerous for a number of reasons, but fortunately most dogs just lick out the marrow and don't actually chew on them.

Bones from other slaughtered animals, like commercial hogs and lambs, are usually from very young animals and thus tend to be on the soft side, but even from these animals the weight-bearing leg bones have at tendency to splinter into disturbingly sharp fragments. I even avoid feeding the leg bones of large birds like turkeys for this reason.

The raw knuckle bones (bumpy parts from the joints) and antlers are softer types of bone and the dogs can gnaw off small amounts and consume and digest them.

Most dogs who are experienced with eating raw bones won't swallow large sharp fragments of bone. Most of the vets horror stories are about people who feed cooked/boiled/smoked bones, not raw bones, but occasionally you get dogs new to raw feeding who gulp down the wrong thing, or sometimes you'll get a dog who just seems to be intent on suicide.

Most people who are feeding raw aren't trying to give the dog something to gnaw on- they are feeding food intended to be consumed totally, so they feed soft, easily eaten and digested bones. Oxtails, neck bones, rib bones. Small animal bones (e.g. rabbits). Not hard bones from large animals.

Comment

Working...
                        X