• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Aussie puppy WATCHES t.v.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie puppy WATCHES t.v.

My puppy is six months old now, and while I've had dogs all my life she's my first Aussie. She is very smart. That I expected. But I've never had a dog who will watch t.v. and seem to follow what's going on..for a few minutes anyway.

Is this common with herding breeds?

I don't know about herding breeds, but Pirate (possibly a lab mix, not sure, pound puppy) does sometimes watch TV. He seems to only like certain nature shows and occasionally football.

(Since we don't have cable and thus no nature-all-the-time channel, and we're not big football fans, he ends up not watching very much. )

Comment

MrB's parents' Boston terrier charges at the tv when certain commercials come on the air that have animals. They watch mostly the same few channels, and she's learned what music/jingles bring the animals.
      When she stayed with us, animal planet and nat geo were off limits. Dog would go nuts.

Comment

My lab pup (well she's a year and a half now) will watch TV if you point it out to her. The other day an agility competition was on TV and I was like "hey K, look at the dogs!" and she watched for a bit of time before she got bored.

Both her and my mutt will watch a bit of TV if there are barking dogs but they don't spend much time watching the TV.

Comment

We have a Westie who watches TV. I wonder if the new flat screens w/the very realistic depth makes them more aware/interested in it.

Comment

My lab will occasionally watch TV.

My grandparents' dogs will watch TV as well if they're really bored

Comment

My dog and I watch Dogs 101 every Sunday while lounging in bed. She only pays attention during the parts with puppies though.

She also loves nature documentaries and occasionally watches other tv, too.

I read that old tvs used to be boring to dogs, because they see movement way faster than us. Old tvs flash pictures super fast so to humans it looked like motion but to dogs it was just super fast flashes of still images. Now, with the better digital tvs we have now it looks normal to dogs, too.

Comment

My current pound puppy (now 2.5 yrs old) watches tv and will come in from the other room to watch it when I turn it on. He will bark and talk to the dogs on the screen which at first is totally cute, now, not so much.

he will also watch me play Wii.

Chicken Derby, I wondered if the new flat HD TVs allowed the dogs to 'see' the tv better.
                www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
                http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

Ahhh yes the wii. Another thing we couldn't do around the Boston? She would spend the whole time we played wii tennis highly offended (and vocal) that we hadn't thrown the -bleeping- sticks yet. It was very distracting!

Comment

My cat would watch, but only when there was a four legged animal, and the picture showed it moving(so you could see the gait), the shot was from a distance and there was sharp contrast. She loved watching a western with a long shots of a dark horse galloping across a desert. Most animal shows switch between distance and close up shots. She couldn't make sense of the close up shots and lost interest.

Comment

My aussie will watch TV sometimes. He likes shows with animal sounds and movement.

I would support any movement to get doorbell and car horn sounds banned from the airways though. Every.Single.Time. a doorbell or car horn sounds on TV all five of my dogs run barking for the door. Annoying as hell.
                      "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Sometimes my Malinois will watch it. A funny thing, though, occurred with my Ridgeback once. I was watching Animal Planet and there was a dog show on. He was watching the tv, which he really normally does not. He was following the ball with his head going from one side of the screen to the other. Then when the guy on TV threw the ball once, and the TV dog went to chase it, my dog ran to the other side of the TV to where the ball surely was about to pop out! Haa. It was pretty funny. Gotta love 'em.
                        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

my dogs in general only watch when a dog is on the screen. However, my great dane used to LOVE to watch nature shows. He really got into the ones with those nasty weasle-things (meerkats?) and would keenly watch the entire epsiode and thump his tail in appreciation at their antics. He also would get really excited and bellow at the screen whenever big cats were shown hunting.

Comment

That's funny, Wendy.
                            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

A now-deceased golden retriever that I knew would happily watch tv for as long as you didn't change the channel from Animal Planet. When she was a young dog, she would often stop and watch planes high up in the sky.
                              Nevertheless, she persisted.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                                my dogs in general only watch when a dog is on the screen. However, my great dane used to LOVE to watch nature shows. He really got into the ones with those nasty weasle-things (meerkats?) and would keenly watch the entire epsiode and thump his tail in appreciation at their antics. He also would get really excited and bellow at the screen whenever big cats were shown hunting.
                                Hahaha. We used to have a dog who thought hamsters were the most Fascinating Things Ever. If you took him to a pet friendly pet store where they had hamsters in aquariums, he'd just stand there watching for as long as you'd let him. I bet he would've loved Meerkat Manor.

Comment

Funny stories. My Malinois happily "chases" the birds and even airplanes that are flying overhead. Um...pup, you're gonna have to jump REAL high to reach that "birdy". I never had a dog that noticed things that high in the air before.
                                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

My pitbull absolutely loves watching tv. When I leave him inside the house when I go out at night, I make sure to leave Animal Planet on for him. It's the only thing that keeps him entertained so he doesn't tear the house up

Comment

My cur used to watch TV a ton when she was younger. She once very alertly watched an entire episode of American Idol.

My young dog, who is half BC, adores TV. He not only watches any dogs, he watched a lot of the jumping at Spruce Meadows the other day, and I once stayed up way too late in a motel room at an agility trial, because he was watching Shrek and fascinated. I felt bad turning it off on him so I could go to sleep. I didn't get a lot of sympathy the next day when I was complaining I was tired because my puppy stayed up late watching a cartoon.
                                      "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." ~Mal, Firefly

Comment

My Aussie puppy really loves to change the channel and adjust the volume frequently. But that's just because she sits on the remote a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                        X