• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cat and Dog Rescuers, Shelter Workers, Foster "Parents" Please Chime In!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat and Dog Rescuers, Shelter Workers, Foster "Parents" Please Chime In!

Please tell me about the work you do with cats and dogs (or other animals). I am not asking for specific info on specific shelters, just would love to hear from people who do this wonderful work.

Rescue, TNR, Shelter, Fostering ...

I am trying to keep my own little family together and from going feral -- me and 2 kittehs. Would love to be in a place where we could foster more kittehs (well, I haven't mentioned this to my 2 yet ... )
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I work with a collie/sheltie rescue. I don't foster because one of my dogs is very resistant to change and new animals. And my husband has said 4 dogs is the limit.

I've pulled dogs from a shelter, I'm the computer geek...new tracking data base, working on a new website eventually with the volunteer webmaster, and I interview and vet potential fosters and transport people.

I can also hold an emergency rescue for a couple of days if I have to.

All of our volunteers seem to wear many hats.

Comment

I do several jobs for a local rescue. The primary one is fostering kittens. I am the only one of our rescue group who will do bottle babies, so I take bottle baby kittens when I can, as well as the ones so young they need food and attention often. I also answer our phone line, serve on the board of directors, and other jobs as they come up.
      Mystic Owl Sporthorses
      www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

I help take care of the cats that live in Petsmart for a local rescue. I feed, clean cages, medicate and play with them. Right now I don't have a regular shift, I just fill in. But usually everyone takes 1 shift a week (morning or evening). It works pretty well.

Comment

You need to give the 2 resident cats veto power over the fostering plan, IMO.

Otherwise, I have known people who were the candy stripers of their local shelter. The "job" was to go in there and give some animals some personal attention. If only it paid, I'd pet random, down-on-their-luck cats 60 hours a week.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Oh, I'll have a hard time shutting up! I spent 6.5 years doing temperament testing on adoptable dogs at a regional humane society. I did bite case evaluations, too. And I fostered dogs, a few puppies, cats and kittens. That was all volunteer work.

Then I got hired by the same shelter to run the foster program, and I did that for 4 years. I still did the volunteer stuff, like fostering and writing the little bio paragraphs on the adoptable dogs for the website.

I don't foster has much any more. I have loosely kept my connections to the rescue community, but just don't have the time to be as involved as I have been in the past. I do miss it. Maybe not the dealing with people part, but I have had so many great dogs come into my home! I can't help but miss that.

And I really miss the kittens! Maybe next summer things will have settled enough for me to start fostering when kitten season rolls around.
            Sheilah

Comment

We foster for a rescue group, live on a foster dog farm solely for the dogs. There are usually 8-16 fosters at our place at any point. MrB attends two adoption events per week (both days of the weekend). We're in our third year doing this, but before we moved here we fostered for a few years, same group, but one to two fosters at a time, with the exception of puppies.
              Before that, I took photos for the local pound as part of a big group of volunteers who would alternate visits so all the dogs could get exposure/traffic online.

Not that you necessarily asked this, but i think the biggest way to make an impact in my opinion, is through a low cost spay neuter program. The one in our area has been such a wonderful asset to low income families, the general public, rescue groups,... it's awesome. They help both pets and the feral cat population greatly.
              Another big impact for one's time in my opinion is helping to network the dogs at animal control facilities. Not necessarily the facebook spamming that goes on (which sometimes bothers me because they seem not interested that the dogs go to quality, appropriate homes, just that they're out. Having seen some of the situations dogs go to from the pound, I can say the screening process isn't really.... sufficient. Also many fb crossposters also do a lot of bashing of the facilities that is unwarranted and hateful. Sorry! Tangent!!) The networking that i think is most crucial is getting the dogs online in the first place, taking really good flattering photos writing accurate descriptive bios of the dogs. Also, if the county doesn't have a website, convincing them to get on petfinder at the least. Rural animal controls HAVE to get their animals online if they want to see an increase in adoptions and rescues. Even, or perhaps especially, rescue groups don't have the time to drive out to rural animal controls just to look at what's available. Get them online!
              OK tangential soap box speech over! ;-)

Comment

bit619, I think you're right about networking for an animal shelter. The shelter in the next county over has a group that publicizes their dogs. I'm not a fan of the way they do it...saying will die tomorrow for instance, when I know the shelter has a 1% kill rate. I just pulled a sheltie a couple of weeks ago that we wouldn't have known about if not for the group publicizing and posting photos.

Comment

Same, with the difficult time shutting up.

I am a former employee/manager of a shelter where I worked as an Adoption Counselor while in college, then eventually started clinic work and left as medical manager. It is where I met my current roommate and subsequent best friends....I don't think I hang out with a single person that isn't a rescue nut like me anymore! Roommate and I fostered MANY dogs, and ultimately stopped when we'd foster failed three a piece.

Now I work night shift at a surgery clinic, so I'll occasionally foster bottlefeeders or tiny stuff I can take with me and easily feed, but no more adults in this house--inn is full!

Rescue has really changed my life forever, I can't imagine not being involved.

Comment

Working...
                  X