• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Share Your Show Dog Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonesta! She is so pretty! What's her name?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Comment

• Thank you! Her name is Sonesta Sophie's Choice - better known just as "Sophie."
      Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

• Original Poster

Congratulations Sonesta!

Comment

• I am still processing this, it has not yet sunk in, but our Valley was Best of Breed at the IWCA Specialty in Asheville, NC! Link to pictures:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/2013_...SULTSTHURS.htm

Her daughter Vale won her class too, icing on the cake!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Houndhill View Post
            I am still processing this, it has not yet sunk in, but our Valley was Best of Breed at the IWCA Specialty in Asheville, NC! Link to pictures:

http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/2013_...SULTSTHURS.htm

Her daughter Vale won her class too, icing on the cake!
            Congratulations!!! What a huge win. You must be beyond excited. Going BISS is on my doggy bucket list. Did you have any inkling that she was going to snag the win during the class or were you taken completely off guard?

Comment

• Thanks, GraceLikeRain!

It is a huge honor, and totally unexpected. I just entered Valley to be half of a brace with her daughter, which totally didn't happen as they had inter generational issues....

We had taken her out the afternoon before BOB, and she was just awful, pacing, tail in the air...we were all discouraged, thought it was probably best not to take her in the ring the next day.

That night, I told my co-owner that we might as well take Valley in, as I had gone to the bother of hauling her all that way..

So I got up early and walked her for about an hour, tiring her out and relaxing her...the co-owner showed her as I was showing my male special, and she showed beautifully, never paced, tail down, looked lovely!

Comment

• So who showed this past weekend?

Tori (yearling IW bitch) and I went to an Obedience Trial put on by the local Border Collie Association. She got two legs on her Beginner Novice title, with scores of 190 and 190 1/2, so with the other leg earned at the Specialty, she has a new title! On to the Companion Dog title! The off lead heeling will be a challenge.

I find we are really enjoying the obedience, last obedience title I put on a wolfhound was twenty years ago! It is nice Tori has something she can excell at since her mother and sister are such conformation over achievers, not that she is aware of that!

The obedience folk seem very supportive and considerate of one another, such a nice vibe!

Comment

• Originally posted by Houndhill View Post
                  So who showed this past weekend?
                  Congrats on your success!

We showed a couple weekends ago in rally and obedience. This was the first working trial for my 2 yr old male Dobe (he's shown several times in conformation). He earned two legs in rally novice (scores of 94 & 98) and two legs in beginner novice obedience (187 & 193).

He also showed at a UDC (United Doberman Club) regional show this past weekend and won his open dogs class and then went reserve winners dog And passed his adult temperament test!

He's a really fun dog to show!

Comment

On to the Companion Dog title! The off lead heeling will be a challenge.
                    And just in case you didn't know...there is a Pre Novice title (after beginner novice but before novice). Same as novice except there is no group stays. Your dog will do either a sit stay or a down stay (judges choice) in the middle of the ring while you walk the perimeter. The "pre" classes will be offered after July 1st and they are optional classes for the clubs to offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by vtdobes View Post
                      And just in case you didn't know...there is a Pre Novice title (after beginner novice but before novice). Same as novice except there is no group stays. Your dog will do either a sit stay or a down stay (judges choice) in the middle of the ring while you walk the perimeter. The "pre" classes will be offered after July 1st and they are optional classes for the clubs to offer.
                      Wow!! Congrats on your gifted and talented boy! Very nice scores too! And evidently he is also very handsome and versatile!

Thanks for telling me about the Pre-Novice, that sounds very interesting and might suit us if they offer it at the nearby trials in July. I sure prefer the judge to call the heeling pattern rather than the signs. Group stays should not be a huge deal for Tori. Will you do the Pre-Novice title with your Dobe?

We are going to three obedience seminar weekends in the next few weeks, so perhaps will get some help with the off lead heeling. We haven't actually tried it much, but I know very well what could happen! (mostly with IWs on the off lead heeling it is lagging, slowness, loss of attention, loss of sits).

Comment

Wow!! Congrats on your gifted and talented boy! Very nice scores too! And evidently he is also very handsome and versatile!

Thanks for telling me about the Pre-Novice, that sounds very interesting and might suit us if they offer it at the nearby trials in July. I sure prefer the judge to call the heeling pattern rather than the signs. Group stays should not be a huge deal for Tori. Will you do the Pre-Novice title with your Dobe?

We are going to three obedience seminar weekends in the next few weeks, so perhaps will get some help with the off lead heeling. We haven't actually tried it much, but I know very well what could happen! (mostly with IWs on the off lead heeling it is lagging, slowness, loss of attention, loss of sits).
                        I might try the pre-novice at the 4 day VT show in July (he *should* get his 3rd leg in beginner novice at the end of this month). The off leash might be hit or miss (depending on what is more interesting happening than me!). The group stays would worry me....he is still way to nosey!

Comment

• Bumping this up for an update...last weekend we won our 2nd BOB ever and beat the #1 ranked dog in the country to get it! Soooo exciting!!

And, it was an Owner/Handler series so I also won the OHBOB as well, and then got a OH Group 2! We did nothing in the *real* group except show ourselves off as newbies, since my dog bounced (not trotted) the entire down and back....but I guess he had fun so that was ok!

We were Select the next day at a specialty so we picked up 9 GCh points for the weekend and have 20 now. Almost done!

Question: another exhibitor told me the Owner/Handler BOB was a "combination of the dog and handler" (sort of hybrid BOB and junior showmanship). I think this it totally wrong - that it's just regular breed judging minus the pros in the ring. What do you think?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                            Question: another exhibitor told me the Owner/Handler BOB was a "combination of the dog and handler" (sort of hybrid BOB and junior showmanship). I think this it totally wrong - that it's just regular breed judging minus the pros in the ring. What do you think?
                            First off, HOLY COW!!! Congratulations!!! That must have been such a rush. Any way we can talk you in to sharing pictures/videos?

In regards to the OH question I think there are two answers. According to the rules Owner/Handler is breed judging without the professional handlers. However, most judges are still fuzzy about the details. Many don't understand how it is supposed to be judged or that the hierarchy of ribbon awards depends on how the dog did in the normal breed class. So I do think that some judges are judging it as class with a dual emphasis. I don't inherently have a problem with that but it is a whole different entity than owner/handler.

Hopefully things will become more clear over the next year or two.

Are you aiming for OH at Eukanuba in December?

Comment

• Yay, S1969! You've got a Brittany, right? That is great, I think they call it in hockey (so a Canadian friend tells me) a Hat Trick?! BOB over the Big Deal Special,
                              then a Group 2 OH, then Select at a Specialty, whoa!!

Have you considered taking out an ad, just to celebrate these accomplishments?

And yes, the OH Group is just like the " regular" group, minus the professional handlers, solely on the merits of the dogs. Of course, handling can certainly highlight or disguise quality!

Comment

• Thanks - it's nice to be able to brag to people who actually understand what it means. My friend and family are very supportive but my dad has been telling people that my dog is a "Grand Champion" since he started showing...

Here's a picture of us getting our BOB picture taken - don't worry, I WILL be buying this one!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...78219031_n.jpg

Grace, I need to go back and read the rules of the OH class but I think you're right that judges and stewards are fuzzy on the rules. When I went to get my armband during another breed they were calling back the OH eligible dogs. The steward told one exhibitor that she was no longer eligible because she didn't win her class (a class bitch); when I relayed that to my friends they said it's not true and she should have been eligible. But based on your post I am thinking the steward might have been correct?

I will say that our OH Group experience was great - the judge was so patient and my dog was fried by then (back to back groups) and for some reason thought the dog in front of him was a bitch in season. She really gave us extra time/patience to present our dogs to their best.

Houndhill, I didn't even think about an ad. Next year was supposed to be our "special" year...and we are just chasing GCh points for now, but we have won two breeds in the last month....never really thought about ads at all! Hmmm.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by S1969 View Post

Grace, I need to go back and read the rules of the OH class but I think you're right that judges and stewards are fuzzy on the rules. When I went to get my armband during another breed they were calling back the OH eligible dogs. The steward told one exhibitor that she was no longer eligible because she didn't win her class (a class bitch); when I relayed that to my friends they said it's not true and she should have been eligible. But based on your post I am thinking the steward might have been correct?
                                  To be eligible for consideration the dog must make it to the best of breed class. So the only eligible dogs are WD, WB, and specials. If the BOB is owner/handler then the win should automatically go to them. If not, the OS competes against all of the eligible specials of the same gender. If neither BOB or OS are eligible then it goes down to select and select is shown against other selects. If there are no eligible BOB, OS, or selects then the judge can chose between the WD and WB. Or at least that is my interpretation of the rules.

http://classic.akc.org/ohs/judging.cfm

I also appreciate the extra time given to the handler and dog in the OH group. Mine was a distracted mess his first time and the judge gave us time to settle down before the down and back.

Comment

• Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                                    Bumping this up for an update...last weekend we won our 2nd BOB ever and beat the #1 ranked dog in the country to get it! Soooo exciting!!
                                    Congrats...how exciting! Nice picture too

Comment

• My two yr old male Dobe just finished his rally novice and beginner novice obedience titles last weekend. Yay!!

We are on to advanced rally and novice obedience this week in Tunbridge, VT.

Anyone else showing there?

Comment

• S1969 - congratulations on your BOB/Select wins. Awesome!!!

I'm in my second season trying to finish my Deerhound bitch. We had 7 points from last year, but that included both her (3 pt.) majors. So this year, after 4 shows of eating feathers, Lyric got WB in a small entry and (1) more point.

A week later, she was 1st place in Open Bitch class over 6 others - her biggest win ever - only to lose WB to the single Bred-by entry. It was a 4 pt major. That one hurt!

And then, two weeks ago, she had a fabulous win - BOB/BOW over a male special for 2 points. The judge was a Deerhound breeder as well as owner/handler of #1 Deerhound in the country - so that was HUGE for us. Unfortunately we couldn't stay for Group because of family obligations.

But I'm really encouraged we seem to be getting more competitive. I've been practising a lot at home with stacking/gaiting and its helped a lot. I still feel somewhat like a failure with her. Her sister is a Grand Champion and currently Number#1 Deerhound bitch in the country. Lyric was the pick over this sister. However sister is professionally handled, and Lyric is my first show dog.

For anyone (Houndhill?) who gets Sighthound Review, Lyric's sister is the cover dog. See what I mean about sibling rivalry - lol! But I took the opportunity to ride on her coattails and placed this ad for Lyric in the issue:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mao View Post
                                          But I'm really encouraged we seem to be getting more competitive. I've been practising a lot at home with stacking/gaiting and its helped a lot. I still feel somewhat like a failure with her. Her sister is a Grand Champion and currently Number#1 Deerhound bitch in the country. Lyric was the pick over this sister. However sister is professionally handled, and Lyric is my first show dog.

For anyone (Houndhill?) who gets Sighthound Review, Lyric's sister is the cover dog. See what I mean about sibling rivalry - lol! But I took the opportunity to ride on her coattails and placed this ad for Lyric in the issue:
                                          Great ad! I think I've seen it...?

As a first time owner/handler....sounds like you're doing pretty awesome to me!!!

It really is a different world to be an owner/handler v. pro. And I don't mean about the politics...but handling is not as easy as it looks and professionals have so much more experience -- they go into the ring thinking about the dog's strengths and weaknesses, and we (at least at first) go into the ring hoping we remember which way to turn at the end of the down and back. When I look back on videos of me handling my dog to his Championship, I'm amazed we won some of our classes.

Congrats on your recent wins and keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                                          X