• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ugh how to discourage puppy mill purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vet tech & horse owner mail-order puppy

A coworker at the specialty practice decided to get a Min Pin. She would surf online during slow overnight/ER hours then show me pics of cute puppies.

"We ship nationwide" "USDA licensed" "Puppies available now" "New litters arriving" with title-less, sorry-looking bitches running around dirt yards if they had pics of the parents at all. The puppies, of course, were posed cutely in coffee cups, baskets, or next to soda cans. Gag.

I told her the sites she was looking at were all supplied by mills. She's a tech! Doesn't she know better? AND she's a horse owner- obviously not a COTHer as no COTHer would dare.

She bought a 'teacup' online for a few grand off puppyfind or some such site. The practice owners and staff could only shake our heads .

Comment

Yes I have been looking for a new puppy and my daughter keeps sending me links to those puppy mill clearinghouse sites. I cannot get her to understand that those cutely posed pictures are NOT EVEN THE PUPPIES THAT ARE AVAILABLE, they are just examples of the breed. She can't reconcile that with what I have told her about puppy mills and shown her on the "Animal Cops" shows. Ugh! Fortunately, I am the decision-maker here.

Incidentally, I have decided to go with something quite unlike my late dog, since he was the best damned dog and simply irreplaceable.

Comment

well, unfortunately, even if you convince her to "go rescue", any "mini labradoodle" she comes up with will be a puppy mill/BYOB product with all of the associated health problems so talking about the housebreaking issues and health problems won't be a deterrent, and she sounds so distraught she won't really care/believe you about how horribly the parents are treated.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want a "mini labradoodle" instead of a minature poodle- they look and act very similar- but a well-bred minature poodle is one of the healthiest, longest-lived, easiest to train and live with dogs you can ever hope to find.

Try dragging her to visit a shelter or local rescue and see if she "falls" for any of the available dogs.

Comment

To me, a red flag in any ad or website is "Puppies always available!"

Does any reputable breeder have "puppies always available"?

Comment

A shocking number of people think that it's a crime to purchase a dog from a puppy mill -- but if you instead say you "rescued" it from the puppy mill, it is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

I think it's crap when people "rescue" a dog from a puppy mill/petstore/etc by purchasing it. You are doing nothing but perpetuating the cycle.

If someone gets involved with the police and helps shut down a puppy mill and then adopts one of the surrendered dogs then THAT is rescuing a puppy mill dog.

Anything else just creates another spot for another female to be bred to produce another unhealthy, sick, poorly planned litter that someone else will "rescue" by purchasing a puppy.

Comment

Other than stating the obvious I don't know of anyway to change someone's mind about that.
                My niece's dh had a dream that he had a bull mastiff named Lily and has been on a quest to get one for the last 10 months. He previously had an Am Bulldog who was put to sleep when she broke her leg getting off the couch last year (12 yr old). The dog will live indoors, only out to potty. They have a 9 yr old and almost yearling. He had a puppy lined up ( from internet) but it died. Mama dog had to have a c-section after pups got stuck in the birth canal. They then lost the others or some of the others to some virus/fungus..... I wasn't given much of the story. I think they are waiting for another litter. If what happened doesn't send up red flags to them I don't know what would.

They are like many people who want a live stuffed animal. If that's what you want then at least get a small dog not something that will be larger than average. He is enamored with the bulldog look. Wanted an english bulldog the first time until convinced that their health problems were a concern. He liked english mastiffs too but choose the bull mastiff because "it's smaller and has less health problems". Oh, I suppose there is a difference but to be a house dog who is home alone at least 10 hrs a day, well I'm preaching to the choir.

The only thing I ever got across to them was when she was pg the first time. I told her they needed to be very careful because a dog like that wouldn't get a second chance and at the time she was their "baby" so their son never got have anyone come play at his house until after she died. Dog was banned from coming out to the farm. I told my sister if she kept letting the dog come out here that she would kill one of Sis's precious fluffy dogs. Dog would grab and shake them. She also attacked Sis's 14yr old deaf/blind husky. Sis, normally very passive with her dogs, beat the bulldog off the husky with an oar. As a side benefit bulldog was very respectful and submissive to my sister when she visited her daughter's house.

Good Luck trying to convince her it's not a good idea.

Comment

You can try to discourage puppy mill purchases.

But we all know they will simply breed more. The puppy millers will be encouraged by the sale, see I can make money on puppies.

I find people are desprete for a pet go to the puppy millers.

Puppy mill buyers feel they are saving the dog/cat. But really it makes them just breed more.

I have a friend here who wants a baby. A baby horse. So she is pretty much buying from a backyard horse breeder. The seller says: sire and dam on premise's. Why can't she save one from the auction? Oh no, she must have a young horse. She wants it just weaned, barely. They are too old if they are 6 months old, because they now have bad habits. She is a big follower of the finger wagging. Mutts are better she says. She has had all mutt horses and they were epic failures. Has three now wants more, and she doesn't ride but one or two times a month! When horse people get anxious, they go to craigs list. Shhh quiet. Oh no don't GO to the auction, somebody will see you, all horses there are crap, and SHAME on them for taking them to the auction. HA. Auction horses are 1 step away from places like Three Angels Ranch, in TN.

Try to discourage, give alternative suggestions, I have but the person is going to do what they want to do. They want it now. They want to purchase like it is from walmart. Now. Right this minute, quick. It will make me feel better fast, instantly.

puppy mills are the same to me as a hoarder. BYB same thing.
                  Sad.

Comment

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23301353

labradoodle in NJ shelter with puppies, puppies appear to be mostly brown.

Comment

Have her watch One Nation Under Dog, a documentary that HBO recently aired. They do a section on puppy mills, but also cover the heart-breaking reality of shelters across the country. It's pretty graphic at times.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all - especially Wendy - I sent her that link. She is going to end up hating me. Ultimately, she'll do what she wants.....I just had to try. I need to get more involved in the anti puppy mill campaign....it's just such an uphill battle...when you can't even convince your family members.

Comment

Mara-Yes, Puppies always available is a red flag for a real, quality breeder. Just because they sell papered animals doesn't mean they're not a puppy mill, and usually they have lied about the number of puppies that are in a litter so they can claim better breeding than the real parents. A study a while ago said that statistically the number of the new popular dog breed registrations (from 101 Dalmations, and Westminster winners) would go up by at least 10% or more. It certainly didn't mean that there were larger litters, but that the shady breeders were breeding anything to anything, and tacking the poorly bred dogs onto the better papered animals litters. They also were breeding females twice a year instead of once to maximize profits.
                          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

http://rufflyspeaking.net/blog/i-consider-him-a-rescue/

you can print this and give it to her

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              Herein lies the problem....she is looking for a mini labradoodle. specifically brown with blue eyes.

The website directs you to the name & number of "breeders" almost all having Amish surnames. The website says "we don't support puppy mills" so she believes it. Makes me sick how our legislature does nothing to stop this. Even if I can convince her it is a puppy mill, then the question will be what will happen to the puppy if I don't take her....puppy mills are too easy - cheap prices, good availability,etc. Makes me sick
                              Or here's a thought, they may (or may not) be Amish and sell nice puppies. It has happened. My parents have a wonderful JRT from an Amish breeder.
                              Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

^ an exception. not the norm. Lancaster county is puppy mill capital.

Comment

"The Pennsylvania Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement lists 243 kennels in Lancaster County. Pennsylvania, 98% of them owned by Amish. Holmes County, Ohio, has 470 kennels -- more than any other county in the nation."

http://www.citizensagainstpuppymills.org/pmamish.php

Comment

^ an exception. not the norm. Lancaster county is puppy mill capital.
                                    yeah, and remember this is a mini labradoodle we're talking about. There simply AREN'T any "good breeders" of such a creature.

Comment

Some people buy on the emotional level, and your SIL sounds like on of them. Honestly, I would just take her over to the town or regional pound for a looksee, with no pressure to buy. We had to bail out my mother's dog from a regional pound some years back, after he took a long, illegal walk from her house over the town line. The number of purebred dogs in there was astounding! Many of them were just plain good dogs. If she is looking for a large breed dog, she may have a good amount to pick from, as not as many of those get adopted as do small and medium dogs. Our town emails a list each week of the available dogs at the town pound, with sizes, breed and ages listed. Perhaps hers does too. Just a thought.

ETA: I just came off of Craigslist in the pets section, and there are a lot of dogs and cats needing homes up there, many with photos to look at. I got my cat for free from that list, and she's been great. Another good source is Pet Finder. Some folks have also left their dogs at kennels saying they will be on vacation, and never came back to claim them. A world of possibilities for her to sift through, many of them a lot cheaper than the road she is looking at going down.
                                      "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Just found out that my Niece and her family are adopting an American Bulldog from rescue! Yeah! They are going to pick up a 2 yr old male. Hope he's less of dimwit than the one they just put to sleep. (also a rescue, they got to keep the other dog company). At least they got a rescue. so HURRAY!!

Comment

Glad they went with a rescue. I hope they thought the decision through, researched the breed, and are willing to put the necessary training and time into their new boy so he never ends up back in a shelter.

Comment

Working...
                                          X