• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My dog had surgery. Update: hey Bumper post 26

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog had surgery. Update: hey Bumper post 26

I know, right. He had surgery so of course he's crying. Duh.
    But he's had 2 Tramadol and 1/4 Valium. He cries and cries and does circles around the house.
    That cocktail didn't knock him out, so I called the vet and they gave me Buprenorphine. He is still standing (barely) and still crying. The only difference is that now he also looks stoned.
    He has been up since 5am doing this and hasn't laid down once.
    He felt good enough to scarf down an entire ham and cheese omelet though - so he's not dying.

He had to have an emergency neuter on Monday and stayed overnight where they kept him sedated. I hoped since it was "just a neuter" he'd already be starting to feel better today, but that's obviously not the case. He's 9 and it's obviously hitting him hard. Mostly I'm just venting because I have been on edge all day due to my inability to do anything to help him.
    I hate this part of having pets. I feel so bad for him and he doesn't understand why we took him to the "awful place" and made him hurt.

I'm gonna go cry now.
    Last edited by GotGait; May. 14, 2012, 04:16 PM.
    You are what you dare.

Some dogs Do. Not. do well on tramadol. I had one of those. It makes her feel weird or something, which upsets her and she makes a lot of noise. Can you wean him off that and see if he feels better?

A neuter should not be THAT bad. Why was it an emergency?

Good luck, and it will get better. This part sucks

Comment

I'm sorry. Hugs. Hope he feels better soon.

Comment

Okay, take this for what it's worth as on online, don't-know-you-or-your-dog, but a castration should not be that painful. I've never had a dog suffer that much from a castration. I've never had a dog suffer that much from more serious surgeries. If it were my dog I'd be back at the vet or at the emergency vet to make sure everything is okay.

I've had dogs go through castration, spay, dermoid sinus removal, and lump removal and never experienced what you're describing. They're usually really sore for a day, and NQR a couple of days more.

Paula
        He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
          Some dogs Do. Not. do well on tramadol. I had one of those. It makes her feel weird or something, which upsets her and she makes a lot of noise. Can you wean him off that and see if he feels better?

A neuter should not be THAT bad. Why was it an emergency?

Good luck, and it will get better. This part sucks
          Someone in my neighborhood has an unspayed bitch. In the past all he's done is sit on the back deck and sniff the wind all day. This time while sitting on the deck dreaming about lovely Labradoodle, he developed prostatitis. He was in a lot of pain and the best way to shrink it fast and not have it reoccur was to neuter him. Because I'm so lucky, I got the only dog in his family tree to develop this problem.
          He's never come home with pain meds before and he's reacting badly. I'm not going to give him the night dose since he's already had enough today. So, like you said, I hope he's making all the noise because he feels weird.

Oh, and I've been on the phone all day with my vet and he tells me this is typical for prostatitis, but that the drugs should make him sleep. Ha. Not.
          You are what you dare.

Comment

My boy was three or so (pound puppy so who knows for sure), had an undescended testicle, and needed to be neutered. Because of the location of the undescended one he basically had a neuter and a spay surgery. He was so sore when I went to pick him up that I swear he didn't move anything but his toenails tip-toeing out to the car. And then the poor thing popped an old umbilical hernia they had to do under a minimal sleep med. He didn't cry like that either. Something is wrong, and it might be time to go back to the vet's office.
            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

no advice but so sorry for you and him

my pup have was a trooper after the big snip snip, but then again it was done at 6 months and no complications, heck trying to keep him still after the first day was hard, and on Fri he goes in to get his staples out of his head and the first day he had them he was tired and wanted to nap on you, after that bouncing off the wall again and no pain meds

Comment

• Original Poster

Kinda funny, but about 20 minutes after writing my first post he quieted down a little. He's been pretty quiet for a bit now and looks less dazed so I hope the drugs did it and he will sleep soon. He's still standing up though even though I know he's exhausted.
                You are what you dare.

Comment

Take his temperature to make sure he's quiet because he's feeling better and not because he's bleeding somewhere.

Paula
                  He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I agree with the poster about the Tramadol. It can make them whiney/sick feeling.

Comment

• Original Poster

He's been better since my husband got home. Temp is fine, but now he's really pissed at me.
                      Fingers crossed that he'll sleep.
                      You are what you dare.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yay he's sleeping. Shhhhhhh
                        You are what you dare.

Comment

I haven't read all the posts, and this obviously isn't your exact situation, but... we got our (then) one year old neutered last dec and when we brought him home at around 5pm (sugery in am) he cried all night (till around 2ish). He was on tramadol, i believe. He did not seem in pain as he was jumping on the couch still, but really whiney and crying. It was a little better the next day, and the next and eventually he was normal. We called the vet that night and they told us his reaction was normal.

Comment

Jingles for your doggy!
                            "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

Check his capillary refill, often. Just open his mouth, press on his gums with your finger. The skin under your finger will go white. Remove your finger. The gum should go back to red. This is to check that he is not bleeding internally.

I read about people who have scissors, gauze, clamps left inside after surgery. So if he is nqr after a longer period of time, that would be something to check.

I am not a vet, so take it for what it is worth, advice from a stranger with no credentials, on the Internet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by veetiepony View Post
                                I haven't read all the posts, and this obviously isn't your exact situation, but... we got our (then) one year old neutered last dec and when we brought him home at around 5pm (sugery in am) he cried all night (till around 2ish). He was on tramadol, i believe. He did not seem in pain as he was jumping on the couch still, but really whiney and crying. It was a little better the next day, and the next and eventually he was normal. We called the vet that night and they told us his reaction was normal.
                                Yes, that's exactly how he was acting. He went up and down stairs, jumped on the bed, and even went for a little walk out to the mailbox with his tail almost up. Back inside he just wandered around crying again.
                                He's completely zonked out now.
                                I've never seen him react this way even though he had a very painful throat surgery last year. That time, he did not get sent home with painkillers and he was totally quiet until my mom came over and he laid it on really thick.
                                Thinking back I can't think of any of my dogs getting painkillers...
                                It's pretty common to see pets coming out of anesthesia acting like this, but I've never experienced Tramadol before.
                                You are what you dare.

Comment

I drove my crying dog home from an endoscope one evening and called my vet the next day. She said my dog was reacting mostly to the meds, not the procedure. I'e taken her home from a spay surgery and never heard a peep out of her a year earlier. Hope your guy feeling better.

Comment

I am thinking it's a reaction to the anesthesia. When my big dog cut open his foot last summer they had to knock him out completely, and when I got him home from the surgery it was like he was having a panic attack. He was RUNNING (not pacing) around the house, whining and whining. This lasted for about 45 minutes and then - WHAM. He went down for the count and didn't wake up until the next morning. I don't think the foot even bothered him at all; it was a drug reaction.
                                    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the support. He seems to be down for the count now, and my husband went to bed already so he'd stay down.
                                      I think I will be skipping the pain meds tomorrow.
                                      You are what you dare.

Comment

Originally posted by Guin View Post
                                        I am thinking it's a reaction to the anesthesia. When my big dog cut open his foot last summer they had to knock him out completely, and when I got him home from the surgery it was like he was having a panic attack. He was RUNNING (not pacing) around the house, whining and whining. This lasted for about 45 minutes and then - WHAM. He went down for the count and didn't wake up until the next morning. I don't think the foot even bothered him at all; it was a drug reaction.
                                        I wonder if the more minor procedures are worse for owners because the vet probably lets the dogs go home quicker? Mine came home after a tumor removal and was less goofy than after her teeth cleaning. Post the "real" surgery, she was just sleepy; after the cleaning, she was loopy and restless.

Comment

Working...
                                        X