• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to encourage chewing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to encourage chewing

Any tips for encouraging a dog to chew on a given toy?

We have two mighty-jawed pups in the house. The pittie is happy to chew almost anything we give her (and usually not things we don't, although my boyfriend left the spare shift knob from his car within reach and apparently it looked ball-like enough that she decided it was fair game...O.o). But my senior dog, a probably-Boxer-and-Beagle mutt, is finnicky. He grew up with a retriever and learned from her to carry stuff around in his mouth, he enjoys a good tug and three-quarters of a fetch, but he's resisted actually chewing on every toy I've ever offered. He does love bully sticks, but goes through 'em at a rate that makes it prohibitive to offer them on a regular basis. (He's also a pancreatitis dog, so the fattier natural chews are right out.) Deer antlers were of no interest.

I've heard of boiling Nylabones or similar in broth to flavor them more strongly...has anyone had any luck with that (and is it actually safe)? Any other tips or tricks? Or should I just keep saving my pennies for the bully sticks and chalk it up to old dog gets what old dog wants?
    bullyandblaze.wordpress.com

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

I have a chewer who can destroy even the black bee hive shaped kongs. I feel your pain!

Here are the things that survive in my house:

Cuz's. But I perform "surgery" on them before I give them to the dogs--I cut off the legs/feet else they'll get chewed off and I don't need another obstruction.

Nylabones. The hard opaque ones regular ones, not the clear gel ones. If your dog isn't hip to the nylabone, you can boil chicken broth, remove from heat and THEN put your nylabone in there to soak. Don't "boil" your nylabone. Yes, have done this before.

Kong balls.

I do get other soft toys and such that they can play with when I am supervising but those get put away when I'm not right there. We call these "lovies" and they do survive if I pay attention.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

why do you want your dog to chew on inedible items like nylabones? In my opinion, toys are for playing with, and food is for eating, and if it's not digestible, you don't want your dog to try to eat it. Plastic nylabones aren't safe- they have caused intestinal blocks in many a dog.
      The only other reasons for chewing are to clean teeth, and for that purpose I strongly suggest offering as part of the dog's diet (namely, you may need to cut back a little on other foods) a raw chicken wing two or three times a week. If the dog can't have chicken, things like a raw meaty pork or beef rib, or an oxtail, or a meaty neck bone, can be used. Just make sure it's not cooked, because cooked bones are unsafe.
      If your dog is bored and you're trying to occupy the dog, you can try feeding the dog it's meals out of a variety of toys that make mealtime more fun; and you also try to engage the dog by doing more fun things with the dog so the dog just wants to nap when you leave the dog alone.

Comment

Did you read the part where her dog has had pancreatitis? Giving the dog any of the meat items you mentioned would send many a pancreatitis prone dog into another episode.

I've never heard of an appropriately sized Nylabone causing an obstruction. If one does not toss them away once the ends are worn, I guess you could swallow it. But by design, you don't get obstruction sized chunks of nylabone coming off.

Comment

My non-chewer likes Antlers. If he is reticent, buy the ones that are cut in half lengthwise to expose the marrow.

Comment

• Original Poster

The chewing is for entertainment and energy-venting purposes, yes, and because he likes it. Without going into his whole history, he has some physical stuff that limits his exercise capabilities. I also have an adolescent pit - trust me, I am familiar with the concept of engaging the dog and wearing him out! LOL

He does eat his meals out of Kongs.

Thank you folks for the suggestions so far!
            bullyandblaze.wordpress.com

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
            - Welcome to Night Vale

Comment

my pittie/boxer/everythingunderthesun mutt likes the Galieo nylabone ONLY. He will not touch the other ones, he seems to know that they will not hold up to his monster choppers.

He will only touch a kong if I stuff it with PB other wise it just sits there.

He also likes the Orca brand chew toys. They have a ball (a bit larger than a tennis ball) that he LOVES I have not seen it in a while, I will have to check amazon.

He goes though bullie sticks like they are pixie sticks, and I have tried antlers and it was a no go, although I may try again with a 'fresher' looking one and not as big.

and yes, nylabone does pass, the little teeny tiny bits they do ingest pass though, I picking up after him and I can see it.
              When the nylabone becomes a shank, (a lethal piece of plastic fit enough for killing someone or do some damage, it gets tossed. )
              www.facebook.com/doggonegoodgoodies
              http://doggonebakedgoods.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MunchingonHay View Post
                When the nylabone becomes a shank, (a lethal piece of plastic fit enough for killing someone or do some damage, it gets tossed. )
                Exactly.

Plus one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.

Comment

Ditto this

Originally posted by IFG View Post
                  My non-chewer likes Antlers. If he is reticent, buy the ones that are cut in half lengthwise to expose the marrow.

I think it makes me feel good to see my old man chewing on a bone but he really just shrugs his shoulders at chewing for fun. (unless it is someELSE's bone).

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                    Exactly.

Plus one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.

OH MY!! I do this ALL THE TIME!! then I get mad and kick it, but it does not slide on the carpet because of the little prickly bits and then I end up STUMPING MY TOE !! as well as spilling coffee/yelling at the cat/generally getting angry at anyone within 10 feet of me.

I love my dog, I really, really do!

Comment

one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.
                      SISTA SOREFOOT! Stepped on one once with clogs on and sprained my ankle. I should really retire the clogs. They aren't kind to me.

Comment

Exactly.

been there, done that and broke ankle doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacklabs View Post
                          been there, done that and broke ankle doing so.

I am sorry I am laughing but I though I was spchuel by falling down a horse trailer ramp and braking my ankle, you take the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by MunchingonHay View Post
                            I am sorry I am laughing but I though I was spchuel by falling down a horse trailer ramp and braking my ankle, you take the cake!
                            I'm ashamed to tell you I have did it twice, broke the right and then the left. Two different houses.

Aren't labs wonderful!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X