• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

More about Diamond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only today did Wellness finally send me a very convoluted email about the recall. Gee, thanks.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Comment

• I believe somebody posted this list earlier, but the list below are the brands of dog food that are manufactured at Diamond's Gaston, SC plant. Not all have been issued a recall, but I wonder if time will change that.

4health
      Apex
      Artemis
      Canidae
      Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
      Country Value
      Diamond, Diamond Naturals
      Felidae
      Kirkland Signature
      Natural Balance
      Nature’s Domain
      Nutra Gold Holistic
      Nutra Nuggets
      Premium Edge
      Professional
      Solid Gold
      Solid Gold Canada
      Taste of the Wild
      Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
      Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
      My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It's such a looong list! I might be feeding Purina or Pro Plan too. I'm not fond of the ingredient list, but my dogs probably don't care. The kid picking up the poop might care. Sometimes it would be nice to be more ignorant about all this, because then I could feed Purina with a clean conscience.

Comment

• Originally posted by cloudy18 View Post
          It's such a looong list! I might be feeding Purina or Pro Plan too. I'm not fond of the ingredient list, but my dogs probably don't care. The kid picking up the poop might care. Sometimes it would be nice to be more ignorant about all this, because then I could feed Purina with a clean conscience.
          I know, right? Ignorance truly is bliss.

I used to feed pro-plan and supplemented with lots of cooked meats and vegetables. Dogs looked great except for the big boy, who is allergic to most proteins except lamb. Also allergic to grains and soy. Bless his heart. So maybe something outrageous for him and something less expensive for the other two and supplemented...

I cannot believe this
          "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
          ---
          The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• I know it's not on anyone's "premium" list, but I've been feeding Nutro's Lamb & Rice dry dog food to my dogs for DECADES. The dogs love it, they have nice shiny coats, good teeth, & ALL lived long healthy lives (Dobies lived into early/mid-teens, Husky lived to just shy of her 18th birthday, etc., etc.).

And as far as I know, it's never been involved in any recall. Just throwing it out there. . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
              I know it's not on anyone's "premium" list, but I've been feeding Nutro's Lamb & Rice dry dog food to my dogs for DECADES. The dogs love it, they have nice shiny coats, good teeth, & ALL lived long healthy lives (Dobies lived into early/mid-teens, Husky lived to just shy of her 18th birthday, etc., etc.).

And as far as I know, it's never been involved in any recall. Just throwing it out there. . . .
              Recall or not (the M&M Candy Co., who owns Nutro) has adamantly denied any problems with their food. I sadly know from personal experience that Nutro has indeed had problems with their foods. I lost two dogs and nearly lost a third to Nutro! We opened a new bag and within one day all three were sick. Testing showed severe liver damage and the Nutro was the only thing they all had in common. Our other two dogs, who did not eat Nutro never got sick at all. My vet, working with Cornell Univ. found out that it was aflatoxin and yes, it had been found in Nutro. Hundreds of other pet owners had the same problems with sickness and/or death of their pets who were all fed Nutro.

Nutro can deny any problems until the "cows come home" but how do they explain the fact that hundreds of their products are turned away by the FDA at import ports of entry into this country? The reason for these import refusals "unsafe additive", "poisonous", and "pesticides" (stated by the FDA on their import refusal reports). I have a sampling of the FDA import refusal lists from 2007 (the year that our dogs got sick).

Refusal Actions by FDA as Recorded in OASIS for United States
              Manufacture Name
              City / Country or region District Entry/Doc/Line/Suffix
              Product Code Product Description
              Date Reason

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448699-4/1/2B
              72AEA02 ADULT CHICKEN
              06-JUL-2007 UNSAFE ADD

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448699-4/1/4
              72BFA05 ADULT LARGE BREED CHICKEN & RICE
              06-JUL-2007 UNSAFE ADD

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448699-4/1/5
              72BFA05 ADULT LARGE BREED-BREEDER CHICKEN & RICE
              06-JUL-2007 UNSAFE ADD

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1449040-0/2/10
              72BEA05 CHOICE PUPPY LARGE BREED
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/10
              72BFA05 EUR CH ADT PERFORMANCE
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/11
              72BFA05 CH ADT PERFORM SMPL
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/12
              72BFA05 CH ADLT C & R SAMPLE
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/13
              72BFA05 CH ADT L.B. BREEDER
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/14
              72BFA05 CH ADT LG BREED SAMP
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1448960-0/1/15
              72BFA05 CH PUP LGBRD BREEDR
              31-JUL-2007 POISONOUS

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1449079-8/1/34
              72BFA05 L.B. MAINTENANCE L&R
              26-SEP-2007 PESTICIDE

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1449079-8/1/55
              72BFA05 ADULT LG BREED CHICKEN
              26-SEP-2007 UNSAFE ADD

Nutro Products Inc.
              Victorville, CA 92395-7789 LOS-DO 235-1449079-8/1/56
              72BFA05 PUPPY LG BREED CHICKEN
              26-SEP-2007 UNSAFE ADD

The list is actually contains hundreds of Nutro pet foods that were denied entry into this country. This is a small sampling.

Link to FDA website listing Nutro import refusals:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...&utm_content=9

I have this information from the vast research that was done when my dogs got sick from Nutro. I am sure that this stuff continues to this day but I don't follow it because I would rather feed my dogs nothing at all than take a roulette wheel chance on the likes of Nutro or any of the other "corporate giants" in the pet food industry who feel it is perfectly fine to "sweep the slaughterhouse floors" and reprocess the garbage into pet food to sell rather than throw it in the trash where it belongs. The almighty $$$ is behind all of this. If they can sell garbage they will certainly not miss out on the opportunity to do so! (pets be damned).

Sorry for the rant, but all of this recall/poisonous food scare has just re-opened old, very painful wounds. We still miss our girls so much - They suffered and ultimately lost their lives - and it didn't have to happen to them!

Comment

• I haven't read through all of the pages, so forgive me if this has been posted....this came to me via Email from Triangle Pet Supply this weekend...

Diamond just released a new voluntary recall with affects ALL lines of food:
                Taste of the Wild, Premium Edge & Chicken Soup.

If you have any of these foods, please check the bag!!

To determine if what you have is affected, you should check the production
                codes on the back of bags that have a number "2" or a "3" in the 9th or 10th
                digit and an "X" in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for the recalled
                brands are December 9, 2012 through
                April 7, 2013.

Comment

• Claddagh - Well, what I've been feeding for decades with zero problems isn't on your list. In fact, looks like the common denominator on that list is "chicken", which isn't in the Nutro variety I feed.

Sorry for your problems with Nutro, but from the several threads going on here, it looks like pretty much EVERY dog food - "premium" or not - is "sickening/killing dogs", except for a miniscule few. Again, while what I'm feeding may not be considered "premium" by the dog food nazi's, I'm not about to start running around like a chicken with it's head cut off looking for a solution to a problem I simply do not have.

Comment

• And just for future reference folks...if your dog suddenly starts having upset stomach, etc....the first thing you need to ask yourself is.."Did I just open a new bag of food". I had an adult student who once told me about how sick her dog was acting and sure enough, she could make the connection of the new bag of Eukanuba that she had just opened a week earlier. She tossed it and switched to Canidae (note, this was about three years ago), and dog stopped puking. Had been on Eukanuba all her life, no problem until that bag of food.

Comment

• For TOTW users, the guy at my local pet store recommended Acana for the best 'cold turkey' swap. My little guy usually gets 1 cup TOTW at breakfast and dinner, so I gave him 1/2 cup and supplemented with chicken and sweet potato. He'll get a full cup tonight since his GI system seems happy.
                      Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Comment

• Guys the bag of TOTW that I just opened has a clearly stated production code of THP 0302MD

There is no tenth or eleventh number?!?!?
                        “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                        ? Albert Einstein

Comment

• Wellness told me that as of March they have stopped using Diamond for any of their dog foods and are manufacturing in other plants. They said they recalled as a safety measure, but that none of their foods tested badly. So I feel safe using Wellness.

Comment

• Originally posted by horsefaerie View Post
                            Guys the bag of TOTW that I just opened has a clearly stated production code of THP 0302MD

There is no tenth or eleventh number?!?!?
                            It probably was manufactured in some other plant then I would assume. Where do you live?
                            I've got a bag sitting in my kitchen that's definitely from the recall production code series. I'm switching mine to Acana... Wild Prairie.
                            Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

• I've been feeding my dog Native Level 3, which is manufactured by Kent. It's not grain free, but they use rice and barley instead of corn, wheat, or soy.

Tessa's a mixed breed, probably lab/schnauzer, so she has a very odd coat that's a mix of fur type and hair type and she used to get lots of sebaceous cysts, but the Native has really helped with that.

I'm sure it's not right for everyone, but it's one option that's out there.
                              "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                              -Edward Hoagland

Comment

• So, my dogs have been eating 4health for a bit now. I had to buy a ginormous bag last time, so they have been eating out of this particular bag for over a month. My JRT has had some episodes of stomach issues and just last week my dog sitter was very ill. DS did not go to the doctor, but the symptoms scream salmonella- stomach cramping severely, fever, chills, loose stool, etc.

The lot # does not match what the recall covers, but now I'm wondering if I should report this.
                                Rhode Islands are red;
                                North Hollands are blue.
                                Sorry my thoroughbreds
                                Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

• Originally posted by RacetrackReject View Post
                                  So, my dogs have been eating 4health for a bit now. I had to buy a ginormous bag last time, so they have been eating out of this particular bag for over a month. My JRT has had some episodes of stomach issues and just last week my dog sitter was very ill. DS did not go to the doctor, but the symptoms scream salmonella- stomach cramping severely, fever, chills, loose stool, etc.

The lot # does not match what the recall covers, but now I'm wondering if I should report this.
                                  I would!
                                  Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

• well crap, my dog has done well on Canidae for ages. We are almost out and I have no clue what to get her.

for the people talking about Nutro, I would never feed it again. we tried it two years ago, gave my dog unbelievable bad gas, she stunk soooooooooooo bad she could clear a room and normally she has really good digestion. not an uncommon complaint since i saw quite a few returns on it when i worked at a feed store.
                                    for more Joy then you can handle
                                    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

FWIW, I understand the Canidae/Felidae recall is a precaution only. And FWIW I hear they are opening their own plant, will no longer use anything related to Diamond.

Comment

• Originally posted by GotGait View Post
                                        I've been trying to find out where Champion (Orijen and Acana) get their vitamin mix. It seems like almost every company gets its vitamin mix from China. I recently found out that Stella and Chewy's does as well, and I'm not happy about it since its the only food my dog really likes.
                                        From Champion's FAQ page on their website:

"There are no ingredients from China used in the preparation of our dog and cat food formulas, including vitamins — we are 100% China-free.

Our production focus is on FRESH INGREDIENTS supplied regionally and all of our products are made exclusively within our own award-winning factory here in Alberta, Canada. And rest assured, our products are biologically appropriate, the way Mother Nature intended.

For more detailed information on the ingredients contained in our product lines, click on the Ingredients & Preservatives link."

Comment

• What about Eagle Pack dog food? It's listed as a 4 star.

Comment

Working...
                                          X