• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Yet another "puppy choice" thread...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another "puppy choice" thread...

I know there have been many of these in the past, but in my excitement I am making one anyway.

So a couple friends and I will be getting a house for next year, pets allowed One friend is bringing her beagle puppy. I will also be bringing a dog/puppy but am trying to figure out what kind. My dog/puppy search will begin in a few months and until then I am trying to do some research on the right dog. Previously we have always just let our heart lead us at the shelter, but for my living situation I really need to find a dog that will fit in well, not one that we can make work. Example- I love, love, love hounds. But a hound would not be a good choice for this situation. Trust me, I'd love to bring my plott hound down here instead of leaving her with my parents.

The ideal dog would be one with good trainability/reliability, one without a huge "go" drive, and one that is mid size (25-60lbs ish). Preferably short hair and dogs that don't have a tendency to be yappy. Absolutely no golden retreivers, labs, border collies, or aussies.

I'm not set on a puppy and am not looking to purchase from a breeder. I know of several rescues/shelters that I will be searching and obviously I could find a Heinz 57 mutt and fall in love with him, and that would be perfectly OK. But I am also considering a puppy because I like the idea of being able to train from scratch instead of not knowing what/how a dog has been trained. Plus we all know it is fun to talk about our "dream dog"... so I am looking for ideas.

My number one choice at this point is probably a pit puppy- they are a dime a dozen in the shelters and on craigslist.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Um, I would be somewhat worried about a rescue pittie when you're coming into a situation with a puppy. I'd want one from known non-fighting lines (there are UKC breeders, NOT CKC--I met a top male pit in MA and what a gorgeous dog, though he was the perfect size for counter-surfing the treat bar at Petco--massive red dog, with amazing muscle) that had been well-socialized with other dogs and people.

Really, if you've got one person bringing a beagle puppy you may already have more dog than y'all want to deal with.
    Author Page
    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

If you're renting a lot of landlords will restrict pits. As will your renters insurance coverage. My favorite breed is a collie, but it sounds like a collie would be on the large size (between 45 to 80 lbs.)

Maybe a corgi?

Comment

What about a boxer? Maybe not a puppy-that's some serious energy! I got mine from a boxer rescue when she was a year and a half and, though she's a tad "broken" (doesn't play with toys, looks at you like you're nuts if you try to play with her) she is more couch potato than playful. DH (before he was DH) got a male who was around 2 and he's the same way-he does like to play and need some quality toy time, but he's perfectly content to roll the ball for himself or toss his toy and chase it. He, too, enjoys couches a majority of the time.

I'm not sure we have the "norm" for boxers, but they might be worth a look. Especially if you go through a rescue and you can be clear about the personality type and age you're looking for.

Comment

To have a boxer you would probably need a really good fence. Of course, we've discovered that beagles require a really good fence also. But, I imagine we are talking leash walks anyway? Talk to the landlord first, because there may be size or breed restrictions in their insurance, and there might be restrictions of size, etc in renter's insurance or the lease also.
          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JanM View Post
            To have a boxer you would probably need a really good fence. Of course, we've discovered that beagles require a really good fence also. But, I imagine we are talking leash walks anyway? Talk to the landlord first, because there may be size or breed restrictions in their insurance, and there might be restrictions of size, etc in renter's insurance or the lease also.
            We've already talked to them and there are no size or breed restrictions from the land lord but I will have to check with insurance. To the person who said the beagle may be enough dog for us- I'm used to having 4 big active dogs, so I am used to it. But yes, they will be going on several leash walks each day and possibly running/hiking several times a week with me (depending on the dog). We also have a dog park near by and plan to take frequent trips there as well.

Call me crazy, but I really don't like the typical dogs most people like lol. I don't tend to gravitate towards labs, goldens, BC's, aussies, etc. Not a huge fan of collies- their personality just doesn't mesh with me.

I have had a few rescue pits and haven't had a problem but on that note, we always make sure to get them from a good well run rescue. As sad as it sounds, I probably would not go to just any city pound and adopt a pit from them. But with a rescue I have worked with for several years and trust, I would consider a pit from them depending on what history they have on the dog. I do agree that a pit puppy from some place like craigslist may not be the best idea, so should I decide to go the route of a pit pup, I may consider looking into good breeders.

I LOVE Boxers, but yes, they are a ton of energy. If I went that route I would probably try to go with an older dog. I do have a soft spot for the seniors

Doxies were another breed I was looking into but they have been hit or miss for me. I found some to be super yappy and obnoxious, and some who were absolutely wonderful.

I would love to bring my hound dog down, but she is a runner and I would be terrified that someone would hold the door open too long and she would get out, so it's best for her to stay with my parents. We also have a shep/bernese mountain dog at home who I got from a neglect situation this summer and was planning to bring to school, but he has become my dad's dog and my dad has already said that I would have to pry him from his hands, so he will stay there too.

Being realistic, in all reality what will happen is I will check out various rescues and see which ones tug at my heartstrings. But I am still leaving the option open for a pit pup (but I will talk to the renters ins company, thanks for bringing that up)... I love love love pits.
            "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Comment

But your next landlord might have restrictions. And what would you do then? If going to shelter, etc. I'd go with a generic mix, not something that the landlord could label any of those breeds they refuse to allow. (future landlords)

Comment

When the time comes and you know what, if any, restrictions there will be, why don't you contact Danny and Ron's Rescue? They usually have a wide variety of sizes and personalities.

Comment

def check out the insurance policy. My insurance policy will Not Allow me to renew a policy if I have a GSD, Dobe, Rottie, Pitt and any other of the known "guard dog" breeds. Period. They will flat out refuse to insure me. I have SafeCO is a Liberty Mutual COmpany. I don't recommend them.

I have a standard schnauzer, 33 lbs and low shedding, perfect energy level can go all day or sleep on the sofa for days on end when the weather is inclement. But it is a barky breed. Not good if you have neighbors close in, or in an apt or condo setting.

Comment

Another beagle? A puggle? If you're familiar w/hounds, you know you'll need to do serious housebreaking and recall training, but they're kinda small, get along great w/ all other dogs, short haired, and there are tons around for rescue-you might find a youngster.

I'd stay away from pits in this situation. Three people plus at least 2 dogs = lots of houseguests (the good kind), and mayhem. If its only for a year, you need to think ahead. As Danceronice said, many landlords don't allow pits. JMO. If you do go the pit route, get a puppy -if possible, meet Mama.

Comment

What about Logical's mama dog??? The "What a tale" thread. We already know she's a sweetie!

Comment

I was thinking a Pug? I love their personalities.
                        I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Originally posted by Hannahsmom View Post
                          But your next landlord might have restrictions. And what would you do then? If going to shelter, etc. I'd go with a generic mix, not something that the landlord could label any of those breeds they refuse to allow. (future landlords)
                          I think this is an important thing to consider. While the current landlord might be okay with any breed of dog, you might have issues in the future. Most landlords seem to have restrictions of some sort. I would really love to have a German Shepard, but I that's going to have to wait until I'm a homeowner. But, the shelters around here always seem to have dogs that are a mix (lots of them appear to have some pit in them) and you could make the case that it's just a mix and you don't know what breed it is.
                          Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
                          If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Comment

I would really consider where you are going to live down the road. I would look for dogs on the smaller side, what if you end up moving into an apartment down the road? A lot of apartments have size restrictions as well as breed restrictions.

I recently moved into a house and got a puppy. I went with a Shih-Tzu because it's a small companion breed that would be just as happy living in a small studio apartment if it came down to it. I also made sure that my parents would back me and up and take the dog if for some reason I wasn't able to care for it down the road, though it would take a lot for me to give up my puppy! But anyways, I'm pretty sure my parents drive down to visit my puppy not me.

Not saying a shih-tzu is a good breed for you, but be sure to look down the road.
                            -Lindsey

Comment

What about a greyhound? Doesn't really fit the criteria but they are great loving dogs and many need homes!

Or a standard poodle. They're high energy but very trainable. I'm on the search for a poodle right now.
                              come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Make sure you are going to be set for a while in this house...trying to find a house with a dog is REALLY REALLY HARD. Especially if you have a dog people are going to be wary of just because of breed.

And, being on edge about the dog breaking/mauling something is no fun. I currently have an awesome landlord, and live in an illegal (cheap) apartment, so I don't have to worry about Stella scratching all 6sq. feet of the linoleum in the kitchen, lol.

Good luck! I hope you find something perfect, and don't be too set on one "type". A dog that needs you will find you. :-)
                                "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

• Original Poster

You all have made a very good point about thinking about future landlords. I honestly had not thought about that, but it is def. something to take into consideration. As much as I would love a pit, I don't know that it's practical given the fact that I know I will be moving out of the house after a year. *Sigh*.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of beagles either, but I can tolerate them. Not a dog I would choose for myself but it's one I can live with should another roommate still decide to bring hers.

I think the smallest I would consider going is 20-25 lbs. I really would prefer a midsize dog, although there have been a few smaller breed dogs I have met and liked so it would really just depend on the particular dog and how I feel about it when I meet them if I were looking in a shelter.

Greyhounds are great dogs and I do love them (I have a greyhound/doberman mix) but I know from looking at adopting a greyhound in the past, there are all sorts of stipulations/requirements that the greyhound rescue we talked to had and I don't think my situation would meet them, but it is something I could look into.

I wonder, if I were to get a hound as a pup how easily I could train it to have some sort of recal or at least "if the door is held open you do NOT exit". I would not expect a hound to have good reliability off leash, but I would at least want to have the confidence that it isn't going to slip through the door if given a fraction of a chance. As I said, my plott hound is not a good fit for this living situation, but I do love hounds and we often get hound puppies / young adults in at the rescue. I would consider going that route if I thought I could train them to respond well.

Can you tell I am excited? Like I said, it's great to dream about the perfect dog but I am sure I will end up browsing the shelters and falling in love with several.

Comment

Just having moved cross-country (Baltimore-Seattle) with my pit bull, I can say with conviction, DO NOT get a pit or pit mix unless you are positive you will be able to make arrangements for this dog if your living situation somehow changes suddenly (which happens more often than people like to imagine with roommates). I also wouldn't suggest leaving your pit bull alone with any other dogs in the house unless someone is monitoring them closely. Dog aggression is something pit bull owners need to be extra conscious of, and truly has nothing to do with "how you raise them".

That being said, pit mixes are wonderful dogs that, in the right situation, can be unparalleled companions. My dear girl truly keeps me sane, and I'm lucky I wandered into the shelter that day- my life is better because of her.
                                    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Comment

Love my Boston Terriers! But vote for you going and scouring shelters until you find one you bond with.

As for the pix /pit mix. Great dogs and I disagree with the above TOTALLY has to do with how they are raised in addition to their own personalities. Which is why you'd want to take the time to spend lots of time with any dog your considering.

Some of the best dogs I know are pits and pix crosses and like you said sadly the are a dime a dozen in shelters.

They however can be a consideration when getting insurance/renting.

I have a GSD in addition to my little dogs and had to produce his good citizen paper work both when I rented and when I got insurance.

I know that through a partnership with AKC, Hartford now is offering insurance to the previously thought to be "un insurable " if a few very simple guildlines are met. http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_hartford.cfm
                                      "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

Springer spaniel! VERY trainable, likes to play but will lay on your feet all day too if that is what you want. 35-55lbs, go for field bred over bench bred for brains. Lots of ESS rescues around.

My Springer is the best dog I've ever had, and we get constant compliments from people on her behavior/tricks/personality.

http://www.maessr.org/dogs/index.php
                                        Bolter Bolter Bolter!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X