• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What does a cat add to christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a cat add to christmas?

IMO, a cat is a crucial ingredient for this holiday.

There are many reasons:

You don't even have to ask a cat to help with the wrapping. They just show up, work boots on (read: claws unsheathed).

The whole "bring a tree inside (where the heat is) and hang shiny, rarely-seen stuff on it" is a cat-centric idea.

Staying home with your family doing your very best to embody a Norma Rockwell day gets tough. That's why people give up and go to movies, go out to eat chinese food, get tired in the snow outside. A cat is almost as good. It's also cheaper and less work.

Any other reasons to keep a cat on christmas?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Originally posted by mvp View Post
    go to movies, go out to eat chinese food,
    OMG this IS what we will be doing on Sunday!!

Comment

Apparently my one cat, Ben, has decided I'm bad at tying ribbon on presents and has been giving me helpful hints on which ones need redone all week by undoing them for me. I've caught him in the act several times.
      *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Who else will:
        *Shed (decorative) hair on your holiday clothes?
        *Walk across the festively set dinner table while non cat-owning guests look on in horror
        *Reach a paw onto the table fishing for scraps - adding demanding Me-Ow! when guests fail to dispense
        *ingest tinsel strands then display from the other end
        *separate holiday trash into recyclable & non (this is what they're doing when they empty the bin, right?)
        *assist you in the kitchen by winding helpfully through your legs as you rush from counter to oven, preferably when you are holding something hot and/or liquid
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Entertainment Value: Priceless

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
          Who else will:
          *Shed (decorative) hair on your holiday clothes?
          *Walk across the festively set dinner table while non cat-owning guests look on in horror
          *Reach a paw onto the table fishing for scraps - adding demanding Me-Ow! when guests fail to dispense
          *ingest tinsel strands then display from the other end
          *separate holiday trash into recyclable & non (this is what they're doing when they empty the bin, right?)
          *assist you in the kitchen by winding helpfully through your legs as you rush from counter to oven, preferably when you are holding something hot and/or liquid
          The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
          H. Cate

Comment

Mine have gotten out all the wrapping supplies for me. Helpfully arranged them all on the dining room floor, too.

It's also a source of amazement that my girl cat knows which stocking is hers. There are catnip mice in four stockings--3 cats and the dog that only likes catnip toys. But my girl cat has taken her own stocking down three times now and removed her own toy. She has no interest in the other stockings. She sits on the mantel and stares down into her stocking for hours.
            "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

yes, ll of the above!

Reminds me...I did not buy new catnip toy.....

Comment

^ I found the best cat toy ever. I bought my boys a laser pointer this year.

I didn't expect it to be a hit. My boys are 10 and 14, I adopted them when they were already seniors, and I figured a laser pointer would only appeal to kittens. But it was something different and the price was right, so I figured I'd try it.

Not true they wouldn't like it - they are amazed by the dot. They'll bite at it and bat at it then meow to themselves all WTF? cause nothing's there. It's too cute.
                *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Mine will keep me from putting anything that resembles bows or ribbons on my gifts. "Damn Kitty" likes to eat said items and then pukes them all over the house.

We have gone for a small table top tree these past couple of years so this is more of a non issue now. But when we did a normal sized tree...I couldn't put any ornaments on the bottom half because Damn Kitty would have them strewn all over the house as well. When Damn Kitty finally decides to go to the light...we'll go back to a regular sized tree.

I talked about Damn Kitty in that "pets you don't care for thread" that's why I call him Damn Kitty.
                  Equus2 Studios, Equine and Canine Fine Art

Comment

I just left the home of a friend where her black cat had enchantingly wound himself around the nativity scene, and was staring up at us with his gorgeous, yellow eyes. So, I would say that enhancement of the decor is something cats bring to Christmas. And count me as another who forgot to get more catnip mice for the stockings.
                    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

If you didn't have a cat at christmas who would inspect every bag that came in the house? And who would test out all the presents by at least laying on every one of them if not opening them? LOL!
                      "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
                      So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

I returned home today to find my white cat asleep on the chair next to the computer, sleeping soundly while classical Christmas music emanated from my computer, with her head resting on a store-bought green bow. Adorable!
                        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

They keep you warm while you watch Christmas movies.

They keep you warm if it rains all day Christmas Day and you go back to bed after breakfast.

They are far more entertaining than most Christmas movies.

They don't tell you the catnip mouse was the wrong color/size/thing and then wake you up at the crack of dawn the day after Christmas Day to take them to the mall to exchange the mouse.

They help you eat up the leftover turkey.

They keep you warm when you can't afford to turn on the heat and they aren't embarrassed if you tell them you couldn't afford a catnip mouse this year and they will eat canned tuna with you if you can't afford turkey. AND they will make biscuits on you all day long!
                          Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
                          People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
                          "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Here's what my kitty added to my Christmas wrapping tonight -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

(let me know if it doesn't work...I did change the permissions!)

Comment

Haha - that is so cute! She's got the prettiest big eyes - adorable kitty!!

Comment

They keep me humble, and I love having two of them jockey for position on my lap.

They made my Xmas decorating so much easier this year - we put up the plastic tree for a day with no ornaments and everything else was at least three feet off the ground.

Boy were they easy to please at gift giving time!
                                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                Incredible Invisible

Comment

It's entertaining watching them get "high" on catnip and then sleep it off slumped over the cat tree.
                                  I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

It gives you a great excuse to leave the Christmas boxes laying around. They make great cat houses. They add a special challenge when trying to crochet a Christmas scarf.
                                    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X