• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

NY Times: Can the Bulldog be Saved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times: Can the Bulldog be Saved?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/ma...pagewanted=all

A bit long but interesting...

We won't take bulldogs during the summer at my salon. Why? Because the walk from the parking lot to the salon is enough to cause some to overheat and die. They are seriously THAT fragile. We've had too many close calls and known other places to actually lose dogs.

Everytime I see one I wonder WTF is wrong with people that they think it's okay to keep breeding them. They are walking vet bills in every way. We don't have a single one that comes in that doesn't have at least one serious health problem, most have many.

Comment

My co-worker and her DH are serious Georgia fans and they have bulldogs. The first one they had died while boarded at the vet's when it was put in a run to pee. Vet's office said she was only out there for a few minutes but it was hot out. But if a vet can't keep them from overheating, it's scary.

They now have two others that have nothing but medical problems - cherry eye, skin allergies, yeast infections, ingrown eyelashes and more. Co-worker has to keep her house really cold in the summer for they pant like crazy and they only let them out for very brief periods of time. I frequently kid her that her dogs are more $$$ and work than my horses - but, honestly, I think it's true.
      "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

Originally posted by gaitedincali View Post
        We won't take bulldogs during the summer at my salon. Why? Because the walk from the parking lot to the salon is enough to cause some to overheat and die. They are seriously THAT fragile. We've had too many close calls and known other places to actually lose dogs.

Everytime I see one I wonder WTF is wrong with people that they think it's okay to keep breeding them. They are walking vet bills in every way. We don't have a single one that comes in that doesn't have at least one serious health problem, most have many.
        Nothing (much more than usual, that is) wrong with breeding bulldogs, who generally have wonderful goofy personalities, but EVERYTHING wrong with breeding to promote the current "desirable" conformation abnormalities.

Comment

The bulldog is a structural disaster, and I completely agree that that is a shame. I doubt the AKC breed club will ever change the breed, though. And there is zero chance of any outside force making them do it. They'd have all the breed clubs fighting them tooth and nail. I mean, the bulldog's physical deformities and the heart issues of the Cavalier King Charles are so extreme most people could agree the problems there should be corrected. But then what? What are the dwarfed breeds like Corgis and Dachshunds? The giant breeds, like Great Danes, Mastiffs, or Cane Corsos? How about the weird coat breeds like the Xolo or Sharpei? All of these dogs have unnaturally heightened physical features that make their lives more difficult and unhealthy.

Also, I'm dubious about the ultimate value of making this breed more physically healthy for once simple reason - there are already a number of breeds developed by fantasists who wanted healthier, more authentic versions of the Bulldog. Essentially, they're all pit bulls. To be brutally realistic, at least Bulldogs are too unhealthy to get into much trouble.

Comment

You are so right Vacation1.

I love mutts.

Comment

I've always wondered why people bred (I totally typed breeded at first..lol) bulldogs simply because I couldn't imagine breeding an animal that was incapable of actually getting pregnant and giving birth naturally. I believe I read on a pro bulldog website that 90% of litters are born through AI and c-section. The website also said that bulldogs have to be helped to nurse and that bulldogs do not make good mothers. They shared this fact to explain why bulldogs are so expensive, but it kind of made me think WTH? So people are breeding animals for traits that make them not reproductively sound. Sounds like forced Darwinism, but the animal pays the price instead of the idiot causing the problem.
              Rhode Islands are red;
              North Hollands are blue.
              Sorry my thoroughbreds
              Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

My mom's employer has one. The dog's issues include:

-entropion (has had surgery but needs a second one)
                -hip dysplasia
                -frequent sinus issues
                -fungal infections in the facial folds due to excess tears collecting in them. If they are not washed and treated twice daily, the fungus recurs

Comment

my parents have a bulldog and she doesn't really have any health problems. She'll sometimes get hot spots but besides that nothing.

However, she doesn't look like a lot of bulldogs I see on TV. She's purebred but she's taller and has less rolls than most. She's very athletic and loves to run around.
                  http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

However, she doesn't look like a lot of bulldogs I see on TV. She's purebred but she's taller and has less rolls than most. She's very athletic and loves to run around.
                    yeah, there's ONE bulldog on our local agility circuit that well, is a well-built athletic animal. Doesn't look much like the so-called "champion" bulldogs, but is supposedly pure-bred.

Comment

This is a reason why the AKC will never see a penny of my money or get any support from me of any kind, including attending shows or buying an AKC registered dog. They COULD do a lot (and are probably the only organization that could) to stop the breeding of dogs to such unreasonable conformation standards that they become crippled or die at an early age. It's encouraged by some of the breed standards. It's not right.

Only mutts here and, if for some reason I can't imagine, I wanted a purebred dog, I'd find one bred for work and not for show (which would rule out some breeds). Both our herding mutts must come from working stock (assumption based on where they came from and their personalities and drives), makes them a handful, because they demand to be given a "job", but they are strong, smart and healthy.

Comment

A very good friend of mine has three Bulldogs doing agility, one is now retired. If you saw her young dog, you'd see he is an amazing athlete. He was picked specifically for agility and is a bit longer legged and not so extreme as some of the conformation dogs, but he is all Bulldog, cute as a button and a marvelous fast dog. AND runs in the summer, yes in AC buildings but still.

Comment

I happened to catch Martin Clune's Man and his Dogs the other night. For some odd reason, in Great Britain, they stuffed the champions when they died, and these were used as a reference to the modern bulldog. The samples were from not that terribly long ago, 40s and 50s and the bulldog of that era looked remarkably like the rendering in the photo accompanying the article. The head as wide as the body is a recent (people years, many dog generations) innovation and I do remember seeing taller, leaner bulldogs with their faces far less pushed in, fewer wrinkles and the head in normal proportions. The same facial characteristics have been exagerated so much in flat faced breeds, many can pop out an eyeball just by taking a small but awkward jump down a step. The GSD has been ruined in North America - no strength in the back, displastic hips, exaggerated stance - no comparison at all to what it used to be save for a few breeders that have not succumbed to fashion. Poodles are insane (insanity in reverse proportion to size to boot) creatures for the most part now - a sad mess from a solid hunting and guard dog. Collies and dobies? Well to exaggerate the slim head, they bred the head so small on these poor beasts, the brain case is too small.
                          Same crap in horses - 1400 pound double muscled monstrosities on 00 shoes, super fine bones in others, and on and on. Cats - look at what the Siamese and persians have become.
                          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Just watching this documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhXHF...e_gdata_player makes me feel like running to buy a plush toy!!

Comment

Post #15 reported as spam.

Comment

The GSD has been ruined in North America - no strength in the back, displastic hips, exaggerated stance - no comparison at all to what it used to be save for a few breeders that have not succumbed to fashion. Poodles are insane (insanity in reverse proportion to size to boot) creatures for the most part now - a sad mess from a solid hunting and guard dog. Collies and dobies? Well to exaggerate the slim head, they bred the head so small on these poor beasts, the brain case is too small.
                                And have you seen what they are doing to the Old English Sheepdog? This used to be a solid dog capable of actual herding work, with a rough and shaggy coat, but the show breeders aren't content with just over-scissoring and back-combing till the thing looks like a sissy, they are also deliberately breeding for a goose-rumped look. Now the dog looks like an overgrown Bichon Frise.

As for English Bulldogs - a former BO's daughter bred them. She lived in the apartment over the barn with 6 (or was it 8?) bulldogs. Seem she was constantly getting a new one or breeding a litter. For a while, the tack room was filled with the sound (and smell) of 4-6 bulldogs in their crates - they have so much trouble breathing, it sounded like being in a bear's den. In these parts, bulldogs sell for big bucks to UGA fans with more money than sense. She kept thinking she would make extra spending money by breeding them, but I'm not sure how she managed to come out on top by the time she paid the vet to AI them, and paid the vet to deliver them by Caesarean, and paid the vet for all their other health care issues - some litters were only 2-3 surviving pups.

Comment

A friend wrote this article about the cost of raising a litter awhile back. It is NOT cheap!

http://quarterpole.com/dogs/NancyLitterSourmug.pdf

Was raised by/with a Bulldog & have had several. Love them, but don't know that I'll ever have one again.
                                  Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Comment

Working...
                                  X