• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Houston, we have incontinence...maybe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, we have incontinence...maybe

The subject: Bagel, a Beagle/Basset mix acquired from a shelter 1.5 years ago. He is anywhere from 11-13 years old, deaf, blind in at least one eye, and has a list of puzzling, mostly minor ailments the length of my arm. He is very cheery and obnoxious senile old fart.

The history: In May, we had a long night with lots of whining and needing to go out. The reason for this was made very clear when daylight rolled around and it looked like something had been violently murdered in my bathroom. Somebody was peeing lots of blood! Yay! He had x-rays (no stones) and a urinalysis (only rbc's present). Baytril patched us back up and I was able to sleep and stop cleaning up pee. Briefly.

In September, we had a lot of random pooping and peeing in the house, which made so much sense once a puddle came up bloody. Back to the vet. Urinalysis again showed only rbc's. The prostate was suspected, back on Baytril to hopefully control the swelling of the old dude's internal manly bits.

Life was good until a month later it came up again! Back on Baytril. Abdominal ultrasound showed nothing. NOTHING!!!! This was both good news, in that there are no nasty tumors, but also bad news in that now we don't know what is going on.

The pattern: Antibiotics seem to control our mystery ailment which pops about a month after treatment, and presents itself as Bagel using our bathroom as his personal poop & peeatorium, which is NOT lending itself to domestic tranquility at.all. Then the blood shows up and I say, "ohhh poor baby, time for expensive drugs!" and my wallet sobs all the way to the vet again. We are 3 punches away from getting a free burrito.

What happens now:We are going back next week (holiday, grrr) for a sterile urine culture to see what else may be lurking in bladderville, and plan on treating him with pulse antibiotic therapy so he will just be on some kind of antibiotic one week every month to try and prevent it. The urine culture is to see what we can get away with using, hopefully not Baytril every time! He is also getting another dental because the smell of rotting face when he opens his mouth is a bit stifling in 800 square feet.

Why I am posting: This latest round of Bagel trying to rid himself of the contents of his bladder has been unbearable. He has started peeing in his crate for the first time ever. He has lost control in his sleep twice before since I got him, and now it seems to be happening almost every time he goes in his crate. I am not yet sure if he is truly incontinent, or if he has reached a level of honey badger don't give a shit from either discomfort or attitude at being constantly Alcatrazed so we don't go wading through urine in the house. I bought a belly band for him and he actually peed in it today - he had been out less than 3 hours previous, and that is really unusual for him.

So there is a medical aspect to this, and we are working on getting to the bottom of it. However, I am just so worried that this is looking like a permanent incontinence issue, and constant floods of stinky male dog pee, even on linoleum or hardwood in a rental house, is just going to be rough. My boyfriend, who is not too keen on Stinkyface Peebutt to begin with, is home all day currently while I am working so he is the one dealing with this the most. How do you all with incontinent dogs do it? Do you just keep them confined constantly and do a LOT of laundry and give them a LOT of baths? That is my main question. I do not have a way to keep him outside currently, and he is so bright and perky most of the time despite his physical issues that it's really just not time for him to go yet. I tell the boyfriend that he's pretty much guaranteed to live longer than the dog, but those kinds of soothing platitudes don't seem to help much after using up the second roll of paper towels for the day...

They make belly bands for incontinent male dogs. I would put poise pads in them when I had my IVDD dog. I think I ordered mine through KV Vet and they made the whole experience much easier. I hope you get to the bottom of this.

Comment

Sounds like youve done a pretty thorough workup. Has the urine been cultured 2 weeks post antibiotics? Sometimes, they just need to stay on abd indefinately. Not ideal,but ask your vet if the post abxculture was negative.

Comment

Not much to offer, but I feel your pain. I inherited a dog with incontinence issues. She was peeing on my friend's floor and tests showed that she has cushings. With good meds and consistent time/walk maintenance, she's been fine until recently. About a month ago, she started on a regular/daily peeing cycle. I feel lucky that she usually chooses the linoleum. Nevertheless, once or twice is fine, but this every day business is getting to be a bit much. We go back in a week to run her cushings medicine test. Here's hoping a new med program will cure the peeing. Old dogs.

Comment

Is this dog castrated?

Comment

• Original Poster

He is currently wearing a belly band most of the time when he's out of his crate. The sterile culture we'll be doing this week is about one month after his last round of antibiotics. In the past, the 2-3 cultures we've done have had either too many rbc's to see what was going on, or nothing at all but rbc's, even if he wasn't on antibiotics at the time. His thyroid levels in April were a touch goofy (can't remember the specifics) but he wasn't presenting with anything clinically so we left it alone. I'm going to ask that we redo his senior blood panel, which he is due for anyways, in case this sudden rash of peeing allllll the timmmeeee is perhaps in part due to that. He was neutered when he was picked up as a stray, about 1.5 years ago. The original theory was that this was prostate swelling, but since it started happening at least a year AFTER neutering, and popped up all of a sudden, we're thinking there is more going on than simple old-dog-wasn't-neutered prostate swelling that would go down naturally with time. Thanks for the thoughts, everyone...I'll keep you updated in between vet visits and washing pee-soaked bedding.

Comment

Working...
            X