• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best leather collar for small dogs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best leather collar for small dogs?

Any favorites? My guy's collar is getting pretty worn out so it's time for a new one.

Is this SmartPak one as nice as it looks? http://www.smartpakequine.com/deluxe...lar-1572p.aspx

I use a raised Quillin collar for my big dogs (sort of like the one you linked, although the Quillin looks to be finished much more nicely. What I have is not on the Quillin website, but available if I call to order) and really love it...but it would really be a lot of hardware for a little dog.

For something petite, I prefer the rolled collar with plate from Quillin: https://quillin.com/jshop/product.ph...d=1020&xSec=11

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
      For something petite, I prefer the rolled collar with plate from Quillin: https://quillin.com/jshop/product.ph...d=1020&xSec=11
      That is awesome—and exactly what I'm looking for. His current collar is rolled, but has a tag. I'd prefer a plate, but I didn't know you could put them on rolled collars. Thanks!

Comment

Do nameplates catch hair on coated breeds?

Hey guys, do the riveted nameplates catch hair at the rivets -or anywhere!- on longer/coated breeds?

Comment

My dogs have super short hair, so I can't say for SURE, but I really don't think the Quillin stuff would catch on anything. They are finished very nicely and everything is smooth and flush. The rivets on my Quillin collars are also tiny compared to the Smart Pak collar. Let me see if I can find a pictures. Ah-ha. Here you go.

Comment

I had rolled Quillin collars with the riveted nameplate on a Husky, a Samoyed and a flat collar w/ plate on a Lab with a thick coat. No problems with any of them catching fur - if it would have happened on any of my dogs, it would have been the Samoyed (oh, the FUR!).

Love their collars!

Comment

If you want to make the financial investment, Paco Collars all the way. They are HIGH quality, well put together, if you ever need a repair theyre happy to do it...just an excellent company to work with. Plus the Fetching Tag name plates are precious. They are my absolute favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by irkenequine View Post
                If you want to make the financial investment, Paco Collars all the way. They are HIGH quality, well put together, if you ever need a repair theyre happy to do it...just an excellent company to work with. Plus the Fetching Tag name plates are precious. They are my absolute favorite.
                Those just seem so ... BLINGY. You know, like one of those western show saddles just dripping with silver.

Comment

Those just seem so ... BLINGY. You know, like one of those western show saddles just dripping with silver.
                  They definitely can be but they'll customize damned near anything for you; I don't like studs and spikes necessarily but my aussie has a very flattering collar with bits of copper metalwork on it...it was a specialty one so its hard to describe.

My bald lady has this demure little number in the mail as we speak:

http://pacocollars.com/products/the-swirl/

And another one next week (I just got suckered into that one bc it was on sale for 55 bucks).

Its funny that I find western tack covered in bling SO out of my taste...I don't even like eccentric polo wraps on my mare, but you bejewel a collar and I WILL find a way for my dogs to wear it.

Comment

I almost feel guilty for saying this but I am not impressed with paco collars. I've heard they have wonderful customer service but I've held several and none of them measure up to the quality I would expect from any peice of tack. The underside is not quite finished and side they are handmade there is always going to be a small amount of irregularity. Out of the custom collars they are the best "blinged out" collars I've seen in person but not my choice for a plain collar.

One of my favorite stock collars is Tory. I picked one up for my dog as a whim 2 years ago and it still feels and looks nicer than his now 2 month old custom which cost more than twice as much. Tory's are only $20-$30 so it's not as big of a deal if you decide you want another collar.

From my iPhone. please excuse any typos

Comment

I would absolutely recommend the Double Agent collar from Paco Collars. It's expensive, and I wouldn't have been able to afford one if I hadn't gotten a free demo version, but I LOVE it. Comfortable, supple, beautiful, classy, and quiet. Yes, "Clover" is mine.

http://pacocollars.com/products/the-...-collar-small/
                      My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Comment

My other dog wears a Paco simple two-tone collar (http://pacocollars.com/products/the-...collar-deluxe/) and it doesn't snag. It's got a riveted-on tag (like the double agent) and he's a longhaired aussie—no problems there.
                        My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Comment

@ Didgery...that two tone is what I plan on ordering my "Almost Perfect" fool for his nice collar soon. I didn't like it at first but its slowly grown on me, and now I love it.

@Grace--hey we're all entitled to our own opinion! No need to be guilty for a personal preference :P Its just like anything else...you have a great experience and that brand loyalty gets you. It will probably be all I ever buy for my guys now. I just got my Swirl in the mail today, and my roommate has a single layer with pieces that show on the back (the unfinished part youre talking about) and though you're right, it doesn't LOOK as lovely, it is absolutely completely smooth with no pieces that catch at all. The collar I just ordered is for my sensitive bald girl, and I don't hesitate to put it on her neck, I don't worry about hte pieces. The leather has definitely stood the test of time for me on my other one...my guy swims in it probably once a week and apart from some typical maintenance its nice and soft. Plus I like that there's no stitching to fray.

Comment

• Original Poster

Love those Paco collars too... But the Quillen is so much more wallet-friendly. Decisions, decisions!

Although... I do know that I definitely must get a big dog too so I can get one of the simple two-tone collars! That one is so sharp.

Comment

I just bought a Tory leather collar for one of my dogs. It looks like laced reins with a spot for a nameplate. For the longest time I was hemming and hawing about getting a paco (or 6,one for each dog....), but aside from the price, the look doesn't really call to me. MrB hates the blinged out look, and I can't really think of or decide on a look that is quite right. I WANT to like the look, and I do for other people's dogs, but not what I want to spend my money on. Probably id like a hand-tooled leather collar more, but talk about money!!
                              The laced rein Tory collar is JUST what I was looking for! And at about 25 bucks, a great price. It's perfectly horsey and no distracting bling :-) they get my vote!

Comment

If you're not into the bling, try Schaaf: http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pag...different.html
                                Mr. Schaaf's "Fine Rounds" (on the Rolled leather collars page) aren't cheap, but they're lovely for a small dog - just a super simple 1/4" of carved (not rolled) round leather. And the slightly elongated D rings are absolutely brilliant - I wish you could get those on other collars!

Comment

I just bought the Quillin flat 1/4" collar with riveted nameplate!! Free shipping today. I'm excited! No more jingling tags! And so classy.

Comment

5 new rolled collars w/nameplates for my guys today from Quillin w/free shipping. Thanks to COTHers for recommending!

Comment

Lovey, the collars will be stunning on your Labs!

Also - today (Tuesday) is the last day for free shipping from Quillin if anyone else is thinking about ordering from them.

Comment

Working...
                                      X