• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dog breed recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog breed recommendations?

I'm going to start "dog-hunting" within the next year or so, and am starting to do some research about breeds and reputable breeders. I will admit to not being overly knowledgable about individual breeds and after owning mutts my whole life (who were fabulous!) I'm interested in purchasing a dog that involves no guessing of what the combination might be .

I'm basically looking for recommendations of breeds (and breeders, if possible) which may you feel may suit my lifestyle. Obviously this is a pretty big commitment and I want to be confident with my decision. While I understand that dogs are individuals and some of the below may not necessarily reflect breeds as a whole, this is what I'm after:

- Must be friendly. I have a very active social life and I don't want to have to worry about biting. This dog will also be coming to work with me quite often.
    - Must be very obedient. If a hairy situation arises around the horses, I don't want them to ignore me.
    - Similar to the above, must be a smarter-than-average breed
    - Must do okay in (possibly) an apartment environment. I'm a young professional living downtown, and I may not have a yard available. It'll be walks, dog parks, trips to the barn, and visits back home to the country, only. That said, I'm extremely active and am not worried about not providing them with adequate exercise.
    -Must be QUIET! I cannot *stand* dogs who bark and bark and bark at every little thing.

That's about it! Size doesn't matter, but in general I'm not a huge fan of dogs small enough to fit in your purse...

As of now, from personal experience only, I'm considering a Standard Poodle or an Australian Shepard (little worried about the herding instinct there, though). I've also read that Greyhounds are great, super sweet apartment dogs, but haven't researched beyond that.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! I'm very excited about this process .
    Last edited by Cataluna; Oct. 23, 2011, 08:23 PM.

I think poodle sounds good.
    Greyhounds have the thing about not being trust worthy off leash - sight hound thing.

I would also throw Dalmatian in the mix, but with the caveat that they are really smart and need a lot of socializing. generally speaking when things are hairy, you can trust their judgement. (and they shed)

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=323438

Comment

In the situation you describe and since you don't mind poodles, a standard poodle would be ideal, all the way around, wonderful, can't do any better than that, plus won't shed all over your house, car and clothes.

Comment

RESCUE MUTTya rolls de dice+takes a chancebut ya saves a LIFE
        GREYHOUND-rescue--GRATEFUL
        poodle
        smooth collie
        rough collie

Comment

Lots of greyhound rescues will tell you no off leash time ever ever never ever ever, they also aren't a big fan of electric fences (not that that will be an issue). Greyhound pose an extra risk off leash because they can get very far away very quickly, that whole racing dog thing.

The first dog that came to mind thats obedient, people oriented, and doesn't bark was a boxer.
          Idk if its a breed characteristic or just something I come across but the majority of the boxers that come to our doggie daycare never bark at home, unless it is a very very bark deserving situation. Boxers are also very trainable and obedient but they are very high strung, tons of energy, and I'm not sure how they'd do in the whole horse situation.

A standard poodle also sounds great, they're fantastic dogs!

Comment

Had both Greyhounds and Boxers. Greyhounds are just the best, but not so great out of an enclosed space. They can be good, mine was, and I cheated and let her off leash all the time...the rescue people would not approve. Our Boxer is the best and not at all high strung, but she is exercised and taken to the off leash park. She is a really good sleeper, actually, very sharp and willing and attracts a lot of attention when out and about. Very social to people and dogs. A real love and personality the size of Canada.

But then - a good dog is a good dog from all breeds and sizes. The dog will find you, trust me.
            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by SaveTheOtters View Post
              The first dog that came to mind thats obedient, people oriented, and doesn't bark was a boxer.
              Oh yes, Boxers!!! Lots of energy, but loverley dogs! But they die young dont they?

Comment

I hope not.
                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                  I hope not.
                  D'oh...

Comment

Poodles are the first thing that come to mind. ACD's are high energy and when trained and socialized properly, can be extremely obedient. Training would, of course, take in herding only when requested.

Comment

Read the other thread on family friendly dogs for lots of info on Standard Poodles. I know breeders in MA, but not near you.

Comment

Miniature (10-15" - not to be confused with a Toy that's under 10") or Standard (over 23") poodle! I live on 7 acres and have a mini. He's 15" tall and is plenty big enough to hang out with me outside around the horses. He's small enough that he's portable and completely non-threatening to pretty much everyone. He's very quiet. The only time he barks is when someone is at the door (he sounds big enough to get someone to back off...until they see him) and even then he only barks a few times. I encourage this because we live in the country and I am home alone a lot, but it wouldn't be hard to discourage any kind of barking. He'll let out the occasional woof when playing, but he's far from noisy. He's small enough to be really portable (he goes to endurance rides, work with me, road trips, etc.), but not so small he'll break if I trip over him.

He's incredibly smart and easy to train. He lives to please. He would be very easy to live with in an apartment. He's amused by throwing a toy across the living room a few times, but also loves to run around outside either loose or going for walks. He's only a year old, but has a reliable recall and is great around the horses. He follows along, but stays out from under foot.

Friendly? He doesn't know a stranger. Everyone on the entire planet exists for the sole purpose of being his new best friend.

I don't know of any standard breeders around, but I know of a bunch of mini breeders. My good friend actually bred my boy. She may know of a standard breeder or three from showing though. I know of a bunch of mini breeders though. Everyone is in and around Indiana, but I'm happy to give you some names if you're interested.

Comment

My mother had an Airedale that was a lovely dog, she was purchased from a show breeder because she did not grow up to be big enough for the show ring.

My mother would take her to work with her (she was a college professor), and she was great with all the students. Rarely barked, didn't shed (did need professional grooming), and was non-allergenic.

I think it was a plus that my mother bought her at a year old, as the breeder had done all the housebreaking, training, etc. (especially because my mother really does not know much about dog training).

Here is some information about the breed:

http://www.airedale.org/theairdale.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airedale_Terrier
                          There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by candysgirl View Post
                            Miniature (10-15" - not to be confused with a Toy that's under 10") or Standard (over 23") poodle! I live on 7 acres and have a mini. He's 15" tall and is plenty big enough to hang out with me outside around the horses. He's small enough that he's portable and completely non-threatening to pretty much everyone. He's very quiet. The only time he barks is when someone is at the door (he sounds big enough to get someone to back off...until they see him) and even then he only barks a few times. I encourage this because we live in the country and I am home alone a lot, but it wouldn't be hard to discourage any kind of barking. He'll let out the occasional woof when playing, but he's far from noisy. He's small enough to be really portable (he goes to endurance rides, work with me, road trips, etc.), but not so small he'll break if I trip over him.

He's incredibly smart and easy to train. He lives to please. He would be very easy to live with in an apartment. He's amused by throwing a toy across the living room a few times, but also loves to run around outside either loose or going for walks. He's only a year old, but has a reliable recall and is great around the horses. He follows along, but stays out from under foot.

Friendly? He doesn't know a stranger. Everyone on the entire planet exists for the sole purpose of being his new best friend.

I don't know of any standard breeders around, but I know of a bunch of mini breeders. My good friend actually bred my boy. She may know of a standard breeder or three from showing though. I know of a bunch of mini breeders though. Everyone is in and around Indiana, but I'm happy to give you some names if you're interested.
                            This.

For your situation, a larger mini would be about the perfect dog for you, just as explained there.

A friend has one, two of his family have each one, another friend had two they used working cattle, that would jump up and ride behind the saddle.

While there may be a bad mini poodle out there, I have seen many and never met one.
                            Not one is a barker, runs off, is suspicious of people, while some may be a bit reserved, that is because they are not a full contact dog like labs are.
                            Mini poodles are polite and don't use people for bowling pins in their exuberance.

At least I would start by looking hard at them, then expand to looking at other breeds.
                            My guess is that you will end up back to the mini poodles, or a standard by default if you want more size.

Comment

Originally posted by lovey1121 View Post
                              Oh yes, Boxers!!! Lots of energy, but loverley dogs! But they die young dont they?
                              My boxer lived to 14 1/2...kept her in shape, thin and muscled up. Wonderful dog...went deaf as she got older, but was always game and silly.
                              "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Originally posted by Trakehner View Post
                                My boxer lived to 14 1/2...kept her in shape, thin and muscled up. Wonderful dog...went deaf as she got older, but was always game and silly.
                                My understanding is that is not the norm for larger dogs, not just boxers.

A friend living in town had a very nice boxer.
                                The only problem, she would jump up and hook her paws on the 6' wooden yard fence and get over it and go roam the neighborhood.
                                His wife was a weaver and worked from home and she would get a call to come get the dog several times a week.
                                They were absolutely crazy over their dog and worried sick it get run over.
                                They finally put some brackets with barbed wire slanted to the inside and they say the dog eyeballed that and never again got out.
                                Smart dog that.
                                The sad part, she died at 7 from a bad heart.
                                The vet told them it was common in larger dogs not to live to 10.
                                Our great dane lived to 10 1/2.

That is no reason not to have them, for as long as they are here.
                                It is one more consideration if you are not set on a specific breed.

Comment

I think a lot of the 'don't live long'
                                  stems from back when we did not understand a lot of things (like the nutrition for Dals) or larger dogs are just not as fawned over in many cases (statistics!) as their pocket size counterparts. I have heard from many Dal owners who's dogs lived well past the projected 10 year span to a point where I think mine died young at 14.

I think though that boxers have some issues that shorten their lives (kind of like the cancer prone labs...)

BTW, I find it funny the classification of the sizes: In Germany the knee high poodle is considered 'standard', the larger one is 'King' (no, really, Koenigs Pudel) and the smaller one is the mini.
                                  Happy about that, too, because dogs are not 'toys'

Comment

Please don't rule out "dumb" dogs! "Smarter than average" sounds great, but really, honestly - in a house dog, who basic job description is to be a good companion - smart=trouble! Smart does not equal trainable or well socialized! (I'll take a biddable dog over a "smart" one anyday!) That's not to say that all smart dogs are difficult, but seriously, intelligence in dogs is pretty overrated for most folks.

Those really awesome, super smart Aussies and Border Collies? They NEED jobs. That means that you HAVE to give them one, because you don't want them to get bored and pick their own job (which you probably won't like)!

That said, in my experience, Australian Shepherds are VERY active - smart and busy - I personally wouldn't want to share an apartment with one, unless it came with a good sized yard. Australian Cattle Dogs are great, too - but they can be pretty "one person" dogs who are very serious about protecting their person - not always the super-friendly type with visitors. I've loved the greyhounds that I've met - they might not be the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, but they're super low key and relaxing to be around. They also did OK off leash at the dog park, too - most were more likely to hang around the people than run around with the other dogs. The Boxers I've known were pretty sweet and goofy, but at least one was VERY protective of his people when it came to other dogs - he eventually quit coming to the dog park because of that. Still a great dog, but just not OK with most other dogs.

Since you mentioned taking the dog to the barn, I feel like I have to ask: Is the barn owner/manager OK with you bringing a dog to their barn and letting it wander? Even really smart, really obedient dogs can lose their minds when they see the barn cats dashing around or if something spooks the entire gelding herd into running... And if it's OK to bring a well-behaved dog to the barn, how do they feel about a puppy, who hasn't learned proper barn etiquette yet?

I'd also check out the dog park where you plan to take the beastie for exercise - different parks have very different vibes - do they have a separate small dog area if you end up with a little guy, or do all the dogs share one big space, regardless of size or energy level? My old dog park was nice because it was OK to take a big dog into the small dog area if said big dog was better off hanging with the littles due to age or infirmity - other places might not be as flexible as that. It's worth knowing ahead of time.

I think when you're trying to pick a purebred, it helps to look at general types and think about whether that type of dog would work for you, then start looking at specific breeds.
                                    For example, think about sighthounds vs. scenthounds, terriers vs. spitz types, hunting vs. herding dogs... once you realize that scenthounds may be tough to train because they tend to follow their noses and that they're generally a little on the vocal side, you might rule them out, and start looking at terriers - generally smaller, and mentally pretty tough (you have to be to go after prey that's bigger than you)... before you know it, you'll have found a group or two that really appeal to you (and fit your lifestyle), and then you can start figuring where the different breeds fit into that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                      While there may be a bad mini poodle out there, I have seen many and never met one.
                                      Not one is a barker, runs off, is suspicious of people, while some may be a bit reserved, that is because they are not a full contact dog like labs are.
                                      Mini poodles are polite and don't use people for bowling pins in their exuberance.

At least I would start by looking hard at them, then expand to looking at other breeds.
                                      My guess is that you will end up back to the mini poodles, or a standard by default if you want more size.
                                      Just for testimony to the odd one - my grandparents had one. He was notorious. Suspicious, snappish, actually bit (drawing blood) more than one member of the family. A true Jekyll and Hyde dog, only his Jekyll was ignoring people, still not being friendly. He once bit (drawing blood) my grandmother, one of his two favorite people, for kissing my grandfather good night.

I knew that dog closely, almost daily, for years. Nobody in the whole neighborhood liked him. Even my grandparents admitted his problems, and they'd had him from puppyhood. He was bred by the neighbor across the street, and none of his siblings were like that. No holes in the history, no past abuse. That dog was just a sullen, bad temperament, like the bad apple person who turns up occasionally from good parents who did their best to raise them right. Rare but happens. The neighbor across the street had said many times he would take the dog back and euth him and replace with another. Grandmother couldn't abide the thought.

Because of that dog, the whole family was soured on poodles. My SIL and brother have recently gotten into standard poodles, and theirs are neat, but I was a little suspicious at first. I don't think I'd ever have a mini poodle. It may be rare, but when you saw the rare one every day for years and felt his teeth, it still turns you off on the whole breed.

I realize he was a bad individual and would have been a bad Lab or anything. Just throwing it in for full breed pool experience sampling along with all the "never met a bad ones." Whatever you get, if the breeder himself says this one has a screw loose, believe him instead of getting sorry for the poor little doggy.

Comment

ALL purebred dogs have breed rescue. You can also find purebred dogs for adoption on www.petfinder.com

There is really no reason to purchase a puppy unless:

1. You wish to show the dog in conformation
                                        2. You wish to breed the dog
                                        3. You are a glutton for punishment and are insistent on raising a puppy!

Go to the Canadian Kennel Club website: http://www.ckc.ca/en/ and research breeds. Then contact the local breed club for any breeds that catch your eye. Talk to breeders about their breed, find out the pros/cons. Go to some shows and meet the breeds you may be interested in so you can get a feel for their size, hair coat, temperament, grooming requirements, etc.

Once you've narrowed down what breed you want, contact that breeds rescue and adopt the purebred dog of your dreams.

The problem with asking folks on a forum like this for breed recommendations is that everyone is going to tell you about THEIR favorite breed. They might have had one or two Boxers that were great, but in reality haven't met hundreds of Boxers to get a more balanced feel for what the breed is really all about.

Talk to dog trainers, veterinarians, groomers and people in breed rescue to truly get a feel for a breed. People in professions where they care for, and handle dogs on a daily basis see not only the excellent specimens of a breed, but also the mediocre and downright horrible ones as well.

Someone who says, "I had a (fill in any breed) for 14 years and it was the best dog ever", isn't really giving you a well rounded feel for the breed. All they can do is tell you what their dog was like and what they were willing to put up with in terms of behavior, health and grooming.

What one person LOVES in a dog, another may hate. That's why you need to visit the breeds in person and see what YOU think.

One persons 'smart' dog is 'dumb' so someone else. One persons 'hyper' dog has a totally normal activity level to the next person.

You get the idea.
                                        Proud Native Texan!
                                        owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Comment

Working...
                                        X