• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cancer.,... UPDATE..He is gone....#46

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
    With the outcome being the same eventually, I would not put my beloved dogs through months of drugs, pain and sickness.
    Me either and I didn't . My dog was diagnosed two years ago w/ cancer - he was just a month shy of turning 11. My only goal at that point was to make sure his quality of life was good. There was NO way I was going to put him through chemo, ampuation (leg had osteosarcoma), diet restrictions, no playing, etc. He ate whatever he wanted, played as hard as he wanted/could. He had three good months after his diagnosis and that's what mattered .

I still think of him everyday ...

(I did adopt another dog from the shelter and I'd do the same for him too if/when it happens ).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

I've lost two old girls to cancer this summer and I've had chemo myself. I would not bankrupt myself for chemo It does make one feel poopy. I did try prednisone with both dogs, one lived another two months and the other 5 days.
      I had an aunt that had one does of chemo and then elected not to continue, Her quality of life was so much better until the last few days. So, the way the dog feels is a big factor to me.
      Good luck with this hard decision. And a hug too.
      www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

I agree, don't treat. Let it be done.

Comment

You need to make your own decision. For the people who say "dont treat",they dont know what your dog will be going through - only you do.

Case in point, 9 year old Border Collie had osteosarcoma in right hind leg - removed leg and did the 12 week chemo protocol. Dog lived to 15 cancer free and was actually ontario agility champion with the weave poles...with only 3 legs!

The owners were incredibly happy to get another 6 wonderful years with him.

Obviously this doesnt always happen, but you need to remember the people with bad experiences will tell you not to treat, the people with good experiences will tell you to treat. Also, an "excuse" we hear a lot for people who dont have the funds for chemo is that they "dont want to put the dog through it". Absolutley fine to end it early if the funds arent there - but taking them in once every 2 weeks for a pill or injection generally isnt putting them through agony. Less than 25% of dogs show side effects to chemo.

Remember - ANIMAL CHEMO is NOT nearly the same as PEOPLE CHEMO. The objective is to extend QUALITY so doses are significantly lower. The goal is not to cure the cancer, but halt it or put it in a temporary remission. Side effects of prednisone/steroids can be far worse than side effects of chemo.

The absolute BEST advice you will get is if you talk to an oncologist. Go with your concerns written down, and an open mind. Their job demands empathy and they will answer your questions/concerns and you can make an educated decision based on those answers.

Whatever your choice - good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
            With the outcome being the same eventually, I would not put my beloved dogs through months of drugs, pain and sickness.
            This.
            I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by ryansgirl View Post
              Me either and I didn't . My dog was diagnosed two years ago w/ cancer - he was just a month shy of turning 11. My only goal at that point was to make sure his quality of life was good. There was NO way I was going to put him through chemo, ampuation (leg had osteosarcoma), diet restrictions, no playing, etc. He ate whatever he wanted, played as hard as he wanted/could. He had three good months after his diagnosis and that's what mattered .
              I was blessed that my Akita, GiGi, went from normal to deathly ill within 24 hours. She gave NO outward clues that there was something very wrong.

One minute she's chowing down, the next she's puking everything out and dry heaving. Took her to the 24-hr Animal E.R. at 11 at night. Didn't even bother with bloodwork, just wanted films. Showed a HUGE mass. I held her big head in my lap as the vet lead her into sleep, telling her how much I loved her.

Were it not for the hair, I'd have another Akita in a heartbeat.

We are each called to be Good Stewards of the creatures entrusted to us. Each person makes their own decision based on their lifelong knowledge of the animal and, sadly, their financial situation. As for me and my house, we will always put the animal first. "Love is not selfish."
              <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Im so shocked to hear so many people are anti-treatment.

My heart kitty is getting chemo right now, shes been on it for 15 months now. I take her to the clinic once every 3 weeks for an injection, she is there for about 2 hours total.

Before the chemo she was vomiting every day, her appetite was ok, but she was starting to turn her nose up at even the yummy canned food.

Because of the vomiting, I took her into the hospital to figure out what was wrong and she has Gastro Intestinal Lymphoma, a type of cancer.

She has never vomited or had diarrhea or any sickness after the chemo, she is a very happy healthy cat. She would have been dead over a year ago if I didnt do this.

I dont get why people think its so horrible to put them through chemo?? Like another poster said its not at all like people chemo!!

I had an issue with my young doodle a few months ago regarding urinary stones/food issues etc. HE is more sick than my cancer kitty!!!

Comment

3TBS, that is wonderful about you kitty!

Most people--frankly, myself included, until I did the research--assume animals have the same issues with chemo as people do. I was certainly surprised to learn that dogs and cats tolerate chemo very well and the majority do not experience side effects. I've read that this is at least partially due to the way animals are treated--for humans that receive chemo, the goal is total remission, with ALL cancer cells killed. With pets, the goal is partial remissions and good quality of life. That equates to very different dosing for critters, and far, far fewer side effects.

I am also saddened that it seems that many in this thread believe that treating and animal is guaranteeing it a poor end to it's life. Quality of life is more important to me than ANYTHING else with my critters, and I would never sacrifice that. Chemo, if it had worked for Riana, would have made her feel better. Unfortunately, her cancer was wholly unresponsive. It was the cancer, not the chemo, that made her feel crappy at the very end

Comment

I totally agree with Squish in her suggestion to find a good canine oncologist in your area and visit them asap. When my shih tzu was diagnosed with a renal carcinoma in June, his prognosis was grim and like you, I struggled with the choice of putting him through surgery at an older age and decided against it. I met with an oncologist to find out the best ways to keep him comfortable until he started showing signs of being sick or uncomfortable. The oncologist spent an hour with me going over all our options and was absolutely no judgement, no pressure, just very matter of fact. We actually decided that surgery was, in fact, his best option and almost five months later he is doing great. We were lucky that his cancer had not yet spread to other organs (at least not yet). Had I not met with the oncologist, my dog would probably not have lasted a month, the tumor was growing quickly and would eventually have ruptured his kidney. I really thought putting him through a tough surgery would be cruel at his age but he actually bounced back so fast, I was really amazed.
                    http://faircourthunterponies.homestead.com/

Comment

And also please remember, "cancer" is a general term. Some cancers are extremely curable, some are resistent to all chemos.

Speak with your oncologist, its worth the consult fee to give you all the current/updated information on treating the specific cancer your pet has.

I have learned from years of work in the animal oncology ward that there are some more treatable than others - and within those groups there are always outliers.

The goal of chemo is to make your pet feel BETTER not more ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayside View Post
                        It's a very personal decision without a right or wrong answer.

But if it were me, I'd be more inclined to treat the symptoms, not the cancer, and just try to keep the animal as comfortable as possible for the time they had left.
                        Yeah this. For a dog it is about quality of life, not quantity.
                        Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Originally posted by summerhorse View Post
                          Yeah this. For a dog it is about quality of life, not quantity.
                          These statements are difficult, as in general I agree. But, it really depends on the type of cancer.

My boss has a 3 year old daxie. At 6 months he had lymphoma (not even grade 1), the lymph node affected was removed, he had 3 doses of chemo. He's cured.

So...for him, he now has quality and quantity. Would you really have not treated him?

And yes, for end stage cancer I completely agree with you. However, there are a million different cancers and some are extremely chemo responsive (and I repeat, side effects of chemo in animals is RARE). I would never make a general statement about that. Its like saying if a horse is colicky,euthanize them all - there are different types, different signalments and different treatments.

It really depends on the individual case.

Comment

Originally posted by spook1 View Post
                            Ok What would you do?
                            My Chi dog has tumors he is believed to be 12 yrs. (I have had him 8 ys was told he was 4 when I got him) there are treatments are pricey but thats not my concern.
                            As Squish pointed out above, it depends on what TYPE of cancer. This plays a major role in recommendations, as well as staging, concurrent disease, and current clinical status.

There is NO one magic pill, injection, treatment for all cancers. It is highly variable btw sarcomas, lymphoma, carcinomas, etc.

Side effects are reduced in canines/felines due to low drug dosages, as well as there are several wonderful drugs to reduce the GI signs in particular, that are used in human chemo as well.

I think Squish pointed out, remission vs cure is the goal in MOST cases, though not all. Chemo is used in some cancers, such as carcinomas and sarcomas to follow up surgery to "hoover up" microscopic dz, to reduce/eliminate chance for metastasis.

If you could share the type of cancer, staging, etc, more concise recommendation could be shared.

Many jingles to you, your Chi Chi and all pets and owners facing all types of cancer!

PS And any boarded oncologist worth their weight in gold would NEVER recommend a diet for a cancer patient that they didn't want to eat. There is alot of investigation in diet for the onco patient but NEVER in lieu of the pet eating.

PSS Any type of cancer can ONLY be diagnosed by cytology, while you can "see" tumors grossly or via radiographs, us, CT, MRI, etc, you can NOT say it is cancer w/o cytology. There are MANY benign "tumors/masses" in livers, spleens, etc. With advanced imaging, you can get a good feel for where it is malignant or not, but you can NOT say it definitively w/o cytology!!
                            www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
                            Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
                            "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

Originally posted by 3TBS View Post
                              I had an issue with my young doodle a few months ago regarding urinary stones/food issues etc. HE is more sick than my cancer kitty!!!
                              Went through this with our Rescue Standard Poodle. Feel free to PM me if you wish. Two surgeries, really awful recurrences. Finally got him stable for a year, and he developed cancer that was not treatable.

Comment

• Original Poster

*UPDATE* post#35

Hi All,
                                Here's the update....grade 4 lymphoma....he is consumed with it.
                                We ( the vet and I ) talked about the treatments options. And it was decided to not do the chemo and treat with predizone. The vet was Great.......and given the situation it the best for the Chi and me. He is happy and still mostly active though he sleeps alot more.
                                .............I love this little dog................. I feel like I've been punched in the belly...I am just sick.......
                                Thank you for the posts of ideas and well wishes

Comment

I am so sorry. I hope your remaining days together are relatively pain free. Jingles for both of you.
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

So sorry it wasn't better news. Ditto what Laurierace said - I hope you still get to have a few more good times with your little guy. Take care.
                                    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Worst thing about having pets is when they get old ...

Spoil him rotten in the time he has left ...

Comment

I lost my 8 year old Ridgeback to Lymphoma last year. He was just like your dog, Stage IV, lesions everywhere, but still happy, though he got tired easily. We also chose to treat the symptoms with prednisone and not do chemo. I can't remember the exact length of time, but I think he lived another five or six weeks after diagnosis. I had the vet out to the house to have him PTS when I felt that he was starting to struggle to put on a happy face for me, I know that sounds silly, but it became apparent that every day things had become hard work for him. I miss him each and every day, but have not regretted not doing chemo. It's very much a personal choice.
                                        I'm sorry about your dog. The time you have left is a gift, even though it's hard to see now, you can spoil him rotten, and treasure every second you spend with him. (HUGS)
                                        "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

I am so very sad for you. If it helps, remember that dogs have no concept or expectation of 'tomorrow' or the 'future'. They live totally in the moment. So when your dog no longer greets the sunrise with enthusiasm, know that the time has come. He will not hate you for 'cheating' him of a few more pain filled days. He just wants to be with you. As long as you are there, all is right with his world.
                                          ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                          Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Working...
                                          X