• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bumps/Lumps/Hives = Allergies??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumps/Lumps/Hives = Allergies??

There is a call into the vet...but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else has a dog with allergies.

A little background: I adopted a 1.5yr old pit about 7 weeks ago. When she came to us she was eating Purina 1 Chicken and Rice along with Milkbones and Rawhides for treats. After adopting Katie we slowly switched her to Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice, and she still gets MilkBones on occasion and Bully Sticks (no rawhide as she swallows them whole).

Since coming to us she has broken out into various lumps and bumps along her back and ribs. The first time was about 3 weeks ago, and after a trip to the vet (of course on the weekend), we came home with steroids, antibiotics, and benadryl. The bumps cleared up within 2-3 days and she looked great.

Every once in a while I notice a random bump that looks more like a mosquito bite, but as of last night, Katie is once again covered in bumps. I am giving her Benadryl 2x per day and waiting for comments from the vet.

This dog is never allowed off of the leash so I do not think she rolled in anything or ran into an ant hill. These break outs do not occur when we Frontline or heartworm. The only recent change was the purchase of a dog bed a few days ago.

So, any input? My current plan is to take away the Bully Sticks and see if this helps. Next will be changing the dog food back to Purina 1. Could she have an allergy to food? Clothes Detergent? Fabric? Shampoo? We have been hiking in the woods, but I would think if this is poison ivy, I would have it as well.

Thanks!

She could have an allergy to any one of the things you mentioned, including flea bites (if she goes outside she can get one bite that can set off a reaction). She very well might be sensitive to the material her bed is made from as well.

Dogs don't get skin reactions to poison ivy like we do, also. It sounds like your plan is good; remove the possible causes, and then slowly re-introduce things one-by-one (if necessary).

Comment

"

Our collie girl has issues with Pedigree food, made her break out into terrible hives (we think it was one of the preservatives they use). After we switched her food it never happened again.

If you see the starts of the lumps coming on, Benedryl right away can help prevent a full-on out break. But if it gets worse you have to take them to the vet for the steroids.

I would bet it's the food there are several 'holistic' brands out there, and you might want to try that.
      "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
      Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
      Need You Now Equine

Comment

I would try upgrading the food if it is feasible. Brands like Innova and Wellness have some holistic and very basic formulas (1 protein, 1 starch/carb) that work well on dogs with allergies. I had a Golden Retriever who had similar issues. He broke out the worst if he had any contact with fleas. I always had him on a monthly topical, but we ended up switching to Comfortis before it started working.

Good luck to your furbaby!
        http://ridingthroughthefear.blogspot.com/
        www.facebook.com/ThaliaFarm

Comment

but as of last night, Katie is once again covered in bumps.
          so what changed between yesterday and last night? THAT is your cause.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just got off the phone with the vet. She does not think that the bumps are diet related, but most likely environmental. Once this latest episode is clear we will be going to Chlorpheniramine 4mg 2x/day to keep things under control. I would still like to know what exactly is causing the problem, but at this point I'll be happy to have a bump-free pup.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wendy View Post
              so what changed between yesterday and last night? THAT is your cause.
              Absolutely nothing.....

We went walking through the woods over the weekend, and also got a new dog bed. And I noticed a few bumps here and there, and then she just blew up with about 20-30 bumps yesterday. There have been no extra treats or additional types of food, so not sure it is related to diet.

I wonder if it just takes a few days for the reaction to build?

Comment

Originally posted by MtyMax View Post
                Absolutely nothing.....

We went walking through the woods over the weekend, and also got a new dog bed. And I noticed a few bumps here and there, and then she just blew up with about 20-30 bumps yesterday. There have been no extra treats or additional types of food, so not sure it is related to diet.

I wonder if it just takes a few days for the reaction to build?
                Usually 2-24 hours for a delayed hypersensitivity reaction (some are more delayed than others).

I'd say then to narrow it down between the new bed and the walking in the woods over the weekend. It's possible she has a bug bite reaction if she got bit in the woods too!

Comment

I have a dog with allergies. We had the skin testing done and found he's allergic to to aspergillius, fleas, and dust mites. He's on desensitizing shots since the only thing that's somewhat controllable are fleas.
                  Antihistamines like Benadryl, Claritin...you can try those, and our vet dermatologist says some will work for one dog and not for others. I've tried maybe 10 without any real results. Just don't use any that have a decongestant incorporated in them.

She also says that most allergies are environmental vs. food.

If it continues, you could also try Atopica. I found that it helped, but didn't clear all the issues my dog was having. We also bathe frequently and wipe the dog's feet and legs with distilled water when he comes inside.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

Comment

My dog has seasonal/environmental allergies. Mainly, she gets itchy and scratches her hide off for the month of August more or less. She will also get the hives. Originally, I thought it was food related, but the allergies come and go every year. I've tried benadryl in the past, but it only makes my dog drowsy. Chlorheneramine is also on the list my vet recommends. So is Clemastine (tavist). Someone on this board recommended Cetrinizin hydrochloride-- Zyrtec, but I can't read the spelling on the bottle. My dog is comfortable on this drug and doesn't itch. I will give it to her until the allergy season passes.

Comment

My dog is allergic to the rawhide chews, this developed only a few years ago, we went 10 years with no issues prior to that.

Since she is 13 and missing a few teeth, rawhide chews would be off her list of things to eat now anyway, so it's managable.
                      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Do the bumps eventually get crusty or flaky?
                        Your pet sounds like it's allergic, but to what is the question.
                        I would go to a veterinary dermatologist. www.acvd.org

If this is going to be a recurring vicious cycle, you'll spend less money in the long run. Lisa

Comment

Many "bumps" are early pustules, ie skin infections.
                          She needs a thorough skin examinination, use of a flea comb (even if you don't "see" fleas and treat her for them), maybe some cytological exam of the bumps, etc.

Most bumps from allerigic reactions are more hive in appearance, not actual "bumps", and they don't last very long. Contact allergies are uncommon in dogs, as already said.

Most allergies in dogs manifest as licking of feet or chronic ear problems. Not all, but most.

If this episode doesn't clear up and stay gone with your vet's treatment this time, get to a dermatologist.

Comment

Working...
                          X