• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stray cat problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray cat problem

MizzouDad has been feeding a stray male for the past 2-3 weeks. Not completely feral, comes when called, seemed friendly enough. We adopt anything that moves in and can get along - with the usual shots and speutering.

MDad petted him (probably just a little too long) before putting down the food. Cat circled behind, jumped up and bit him on the upper arm, scratched - just went nuts, then stepped back around for the meal like nothing had happened.

Tetanus is current, started antibiotics, and the live trap is set on the front porch so we can do rabies observation. We live in a rural area and support a shelter that has a trap/neuter/release program, but a cat like this who appears friendly and then goes all medieval on your a$$ is a problem.

I'm normally up for advocating for any animal, but I'm thinking this guy will have to be executed for his crimes. Any other take on that?

That seems harsh to me... if he/she is a stray, they don't know the rules.... if dinner has been supplied promptly before, to me the cat was saying "ok, dinner now, enough petting, I am HUNGRY"... who knows how hungry a stray is and when they last ate. However, I am of the belief that cats basically do whatever they please and they are basically to be humoured.

I am of the opinion that I would keep a very close eye on said cat and not put myself in the position where that was likely to occur again.

Comment

• Original Poster

Mocha -Normally I do everything I can for any animal that shows up here. But cats that bite (and this was a deep, puncturing bite) with that kind of explosive aggression are untrustworthy. He has been fed a.m. and p.m. for 2-3 weeks and had put on plenty of weight. His vaccination status is unknown.

We've probably adopted 20 cats over the years, including intact males who were just big teddy bears. None have been biters.

I was already trying to decide what to do if we were able to catch, neuter and test him for the "F"s, and he turned up feluk positive or something. I can't in good conscience keep a FL+ cat outside, and just spent a year with a FL+ kitten in isolation until she died of lymphosarcoma. She was lovable, this cat would be unable to be handled.

It's a tough choice.

Comment

I don't think it would be terrible if you put him down after QT. But after neutering and shots this might also prove to be an isolated instance.

But I guess MDad knows to put the food down FIRST from now on! Some cats have just not had the socialization that others have and they don't understand why people don't act like cats!
        Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

i also think execution might be a little harsh :[
          its not like the family cat just went all ape sh!t, he is a stray, you don't know what kind of interaction he's had with humans prior to finding you guys or how feral he was to begin with. you also don't know what was going through his head when he went crazy, something small might have happened that made him feel threatened or insecure - a pet to close to the wrong area, or a touch that felt a little to controlling.
          i work at a boarding kennel and even the friendliest well taken care of dogs and cats can be set off and do things that might seem a little violent - the other day i had a golden retriever try to take my arm off in the middle of me petting her, and another dog got a pretty good bite on an employee because he wanted the dog on the other side of her.
          they are animals, they do act instinctually, and its unfair to expect certain things of them because others have acted that way - especially when you don't know if he knows any better.

i would trap him, monitor, see if he has any health problems, and see if this is truly a behavioral problem or was just a one time misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by SaveTheOtters View Post
            i would trap him, monitor, see if he has any health problems, and see if this is truly a behavioral problem or was just a one time misunderstanding.
            This might be a good idea. It's obvious you're an animal lover, so I'm sure it's a very hard decision for you. Euthanasia is certainly not a horrible option, but maybe a cautious watch-and-wait may be warranted.

Again, I can't fault you if you decide to euthanize him. It's definitely not the worst thing that could happen to a stray cat.

Comment

I met one just like that..

Out on our back porch. Beautiful big yellow tomcat. Looked in the window all pitiful, cried, rubbed against my legs, acted friendly and lost.

I bent down to pet him, which he seemed to love. For 3.7 seconds. He then leapt up straight at my face, I put my arm out, which he grabbed, bit, rabbit kicked and slashed until I finally got him off me.

The next morning he was out in the barn with one of my good barn cats pinned down and squalling. One well placed kick took care of that.

Had the kick not done it, I'd have shot him the next time I saw him. He was a predator, and I really have no use for that kind of animal.

Comment

Agreed with the others that you will need to take precautions to ensure that it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't bring down the gavel just yet... this cat hasn't been socialized and may be unbalanced hormonally. I would go ahead with the trap/test/neuter if you can and then assess when you know more about his health and temperament. My cat was a dump job at 4 weeks in very poor health, and once she started to regain health turned out to have a wild streak- like a switch would go off in her brain and she would lose it, biting and scratching like she was mental. Otherwise she was a sweet, purring, friendly cat, but hold her for too long or catch her at the wrong time and she would transform into a tiger. A year later she is much improved and still getting better, but will still lunge on occasion and we warn our guests not to pick her up. Certainly not an animal everyone wants to deal with, but quite sweet for the most part and worth the effort of socialization. You don't know his history or what sort of insecurities he has that might have caused him to lash out, so if you can I would (very cautiously) give him another chance.

Comment

I'm a huge cat lover and trap, neuter, release any ferals around the farm. However, if that happened to me, I would put the cat down. Cat bites can be nasty and you don't want to risk yourself, husband or friends getting bitten by the unpredictable cat. Plus, with the rabies status unknown, that would make me nervous. If you euth him now, the head can be sent in to the lab to determine if cat has rabies.
                  Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts. We were able to trap and he is now under the legally required 10-day observation at the vet's.

He was sweet as pie, transferred happily to the isolation cage and went straight to the food. He's a handsome thing and the vet's recep was quite charmed despite his bad boy rep.

I am willing to have him tested and fixed if he's clean and make him a barn cat, but my husband never wants to see him again - like a bad breakup. You do get your feelings hurt when you've tried to save one and they repay you with an attack. 2ndyrgal, I can identify.

I don't think we could ever trust him to be handled - MD says there was no warning, though it's possible there was and he missed it - and yes, he should have put that food down first!

We are fully staffed with pets and can't devote much to one that needs psychological rehab. I expect he turned up here because he bit someone at his last home and was dumped.

So I still have a dilemma. If he tests feluk or FIP/FIV plus, it's probably curtains. If he's clean, who would take him?

Comment

I'm sure someone would want him. If he otherwise a handsome and pleasant fellow it sounds like he'd make a nice barn cat. There are plenty of cats around that only tolerate so much attention.

We have a nasty cat. She is a beautiful little girl cat but all her life she has had a nasty streak. All attention is on her terms. Pet her for too long and she will bite you or scratch you. My kids used to be afraid of her. Luckily for her I'm the kind of mother that would laugh at the children trying to get down the hall to the bathroom by pushing hands and feet on the walls. Mother of the year, I'm not. But the cat stopped delighting in tormenting the children, they grew up and she spends most of her time outside anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X