• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How did everyone fare their 4th Of July

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did everyone fare their 4th Of July

Here is a pretty Basic run down of how mine went with all the little animals. 4 am and the neighborhood was still going strong and I was begrudgingly wide awake and writing this ditty. To the theme of 12 Days of Christmas of course !!!

12 Neighborhood Parties
    11 Hrs of explosions
    10 Tabs of Benadryl
    9 Spat out pills
    8 Pills located
    7 Pets a scrambling
    6 Got their meds
    5 Bleeding Wounds
    4 Will get infected
    3 Finally sleeping
    2 Cold Beers
    And a happy fourth of July !
    Last edited by Lynnwood; Jul. 5, 2011, 08:04 AM.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Glad everybody(you and your animals) made it through, at least.

We had an awful storm blow an hour or two before people started fireworks. It was over in time for festivities, fortunately.
    My puppy hid in her crate and slept once the storm started and stayed in there all night.
    She did not seem too phased by the explosions. She was much more upset by the storm. Understandably, since it blew in out of nowhere and the 70mph winds were knocking pictures off the wall and sending things flying around the house and yard before we could get the windows shut and the house locked up.

Comment

We came back from the parade to find that enough people had set off firecrackers in the neighborhood to set my sheltie off. He tries to chew through the door to the garage in the kitchen during storms and fireworks. The door was covered in blood with paint scraped off. We thought he would be ok if we got home before it the sun even started to go down but were wrong. So my choices were stay home or take him with us. I ended up giving him a benadryl and stuffing his ears with cotton and taking him with us to the fire works. He panted the entire time but other than that showed no signs of anxiety so for him it seemed to be the right call.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

BF's dog whined & paced all night. I got maaaaybe 3 hours of non-consecutive sleep, shlepped to work bright & early, and I'm majorly cranky today.
        "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

I got off pretty easy.

Dear sweet deaf old Pody (30 year old mare) kept the other horses calm.

Neurotic kitty hid, but that's just sort what he does most of the time anyhow. Other kitty seemed pretty oblivious.

Tessa (the 40lb mutt) barked at first, but once she realized that the banging was not someone trying to break into our house, she settled right down.
          "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
          -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Originally posted by hackinaround View Post
            12 Neighborhood Parties
            11 Hrs of explosions
            10 Tabs of Benadryl
            9 Spat out pills
            8 Pills located
            7 Pets a scrambling
            6 Got their meds
            5 Bleeding Wounds
            4 Will get infected
            3 Finally sleeping
            2 Cold Beers
            And a happy fourth of July !
            On that theme, I had

12 flustered chickens
            11 points for muley*
            10 hours of explosions
            9 nervous mammals
            8 teens with lighters
            7 households partying
            6 rattled goaties
            5 helpful neighbors
            4 frightened Joneses
            3 hours of searching
            2 missing canines
            and a happy reunion for us all.

*on a scale of ten . . . Fenway is AWESOME with fireworks! The dogs, not so much. I thought I had everything under control and then my aussie busted through what I thought was a dog-proof gate during an evening pee-break! Luckily, they're home again.
            My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Comment

My horses didn't like the echoing booms from distant (and legal) fireworks displays last night, but they did OK overall.

House cats didn't care.

Now, let me rant about the punk-a@@ kids who illegally set off rounds of firecrackers in a very dry wash next to my trainer's barn while we were in the middle of our 4th of July playday. We (not me--too old and breakable, LOL) were in the middle of a "bareback around-the-world" contest. It could have been MUCH worse, but there were numerous frightened, leaping equines, and numerous girls who landed in the dirt.
              Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
              Visit him on Facebook:
              http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Comment

Ours did great. Our barn party included fireworks, which we set off in the front paddock. Only two of the equines even cared, and they paced a little in their stalls, no big deal, and nobody the least bit worse for wear. Most of the horses would look over their Dutch doors when one went off and go back to their hay. Mine? Never even lifted his face out of the hay. This is one reason why our horses are pretty much bombproof when we take them places.

My dog and the farm dog were both pretty okay too...mine wanted to be right next to me, but he wasn't terrified, just less than thrilled with the loud noise.

Cats didn't care. Don't know about the chickens. Although if the nasty mean rooster had a heart attack and bought it, it would be a bonus.

Comment

I live in town so people don't tend to go too overboard with the private fireworks. You could hear some popping. The cats could care less. My roommate's dog wouldn't eat his dinner and wouldn't go outside at all. My puppy could have cared less. Not too bad of an evening.

Comment

Cats don't care, horses are now used to it and just stand around watch (not so the first year here), dogs are another story.

Both do not do thunderstorms well. The Aussie doesn't do gunfire (we live in
                    the boonies and folks hunt) or fireworks. The lab mix has now decided maybe fireworks aren't such a good thing (doggie see, doggie do). Very hard to get them out to potty. Up very late two nights in a row as the local yokels kept up the noise until well after one am. Sigh!

We now take them for car rides just before dark around the countryside for a couple of hours. Did catch the Macy's fireworks in NYC on TV before we left...

Wish each county would designate an area for folks to go to to set off their
                    own fireworks, perhaps with fire truck on hand since it's always dry here this
                    time of year and let the rest of the county get some sleep and spare their animals and livestock the terror.

Comment

My dog stands on the porch and watches the town fireworks show go off. It doesn't bother him at all. He doesn't think he is a dog though... nobody better ever tell him the truth.
                      You are what you dare.

Comment

It poured down rain from evening until about midnight, so everything got rained out! Quietest 4th in history here. Felt kind of sorry for everyone who enjoys that stuff.
                        "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Our dogs were in boarding (indoor) for the 4th of July as we were out of town and visiting doggie-allergic family members. Our dogs NEVER had a problem with loud noises, thunder, etc. before, but we picked them up from boarding yesterday morning, and last night some folks decided to shoot off fireworks.

Our pittie was terrified to the extent she would NOT settle down last night and kept standing in her crate or whining.

Our Shepherd would not settle down and started panting heavily every time a firework boomed in our neighborhood.

Kind of makes me wonder WTH happened at boarding?!
                          If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                          DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                          Originally posted by talkofthetown
                          As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

The GSD was a little more alert than usual, and one of the barn cats was a bit bug eyed but not running off to hide or anything. I went out to check on the horses when there were giant crackling starbursts going off more or less above them, and they were totally unconcerned Most were nibbling at hay or what passes for grass out there, two of them dozing with cocked hips. Wild, crazy beasts, I tell ya!

Comment

Fireworks were BANNED in my county due to fire danger..so it was a wonderful, quiet July Fourth.

my one border collie has severe noise phobia..so I wasnt looking forward to all the noise!

Comment

Fireworks + Thunderstorm

We had fireworks AND a thunder & lightening storm. A vertical bolt of lightening would light up the sky immediately followed by booming circular firework. Hard to tell what was fireworks and what was thunder. Very dramatic!

My mom's 11yo lab has survived the festivities every year without seeming to notice: too many people to visit and food to steal. One year he was mistakenly let out of the house, ran to the beach (aka their front yard) and stole some kids' entire pepperoni pizza. Oops! As usual, he was placed in his room just before the fireworks. He continously delivered a rhythmic, muffled yipping. This was a first.

Earlier in the day I had to demand the kids stop playing with him. He was exhausted from fetching and swimming to their delight. His age is catching up to him and sure enough he needed a pain med that night and the next day: slow to get up, hesitant to climb stairs, and a slight limp. Poor guy!

My Old Man was with me, Timid Dog at "grandad's." Earlier in the day, Old Man started barking and growling at the sky. I didn't know what he was looking at, the only thing I could see was my little cousins flying a kite. Oh! The kite?! He has never reacted to birds or anything heavenly before.

I had him in my lap when a firework in another town over boomed. He flinched. Uh oh is he developing issues with things in the sky now? He went with mom's lab into the dog room with beds and treats. I retrieved them both afterwards and my Old Man was curled up and sleepy eyed; his own black island on the lab's huge sea of a bed

Comment

Originally posted by spinandslide View Post
                                  Fireworks were BANNED in my county due to fire danger..so it was a wonderful, quiet July Fourth.
                                  And everything but pre-packaged fireworks are illegal in Georgia...pre-packaged banned in most counties due to drought, but they're still around...and the local LEOs don't stop them. *sigh*
                                  If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
                                  DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
                                  Originally posted by talkofthetown
                                  As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

My very intelligent Siberian was terrified and demonstrated it in the same way he does with thunderstorms: by walking across the bedroom, sitting next to my side of the bed bolt upright and staring out the window, silently.

My, uh, less intelligent mostly-hound-with-some-Sibe foster dog was totally unfazed. To each his own.
                                    www.cobjockey.com - Eventing the Welsh Cob

Comment

We live very far out in the country and our neighbors are older with no kids at home so we didn't have any fireworks close by. I took my parents, my kid and one of her friends to see the city fireworks. You can see them quite well from my office's parking lot. There were quite a few friends and co-workers there watching so we had a small tailgate party. One of my friends had home made frozen lemonade. Yum.

We had a catahoula that LOVED fireworks. I don't like the kind that just make noise but I do like the sparkly ones. Hank would stand and bark at them. I swear he'd come running as soon as you lit the punk to set off the fire works. We lost him to cancer a couple of years ago and I haven't bought fireworks since.
                                      I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

I was surprised to find that no one set off fireworks out in their yard/street this year; everyone seemed to have gone to big public displays, which we could barely hear, so it went really well. Only had mildly nervous animals instead of freaking out animals.

Comment

Working...
                                        X