• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to move a Big Mean Kitty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move a Big Mean Kitty?

DH and I are moving from NC to CO and honestly moving the horse is going to be easier than moving big mean kitty. Tsali is 10 years old and we've lived at our current residence almost 7 years. She used to be completely indoors, but long story short, she demanded to be an outdoor kitty about 5 years ago. We gave in, let her out and she made a complete turnaround... our neighbors frequently comment on what an beautifully sweet kitty we have. Who? You mean Satan's spawn? Really? But it's true, she is much happier outside... on HER terms.

She can be very mean when things don't go her way. The vet has to have the iso box ready at the door when I walk in. She's a 4 star kitty on a scale of 5. Unfortunately that isn't a good thing.

We are planning to drive out with my truck/trailer full of stuff and a Penske towing our Jetta. So what do we do with Tsali?

Options so far:
    1. Large Dog Crate. Food, water, litter box in backseat of pickup. Do not open crate on trip except to feed, scoop box. Pray I don't kill her (or one of the dogs eat her) on the trip for meowing the entire time.
    2. Fly. Take her to the vet and board her for a few days until we arrive in CO. Have MIL retrieve Tsali from the vet heavily sedated and then drop her off at the airport. We pick her up on the other end.

Either way, this is not going to be pleasant. So, WWYD with a big, mean opinionated kitty?
    Dreaming in Color

Flying a sedated cat is not a good idea.

I think the large dog crate option is the best one. Pack ear plugs. Can you maybe get her used to the idea before you move? Start putting her food in there or something?

Comment

I would not send her by plane. Set up the big crate like you describe, and see if you can get some tranquilizers for the car. Test the tranqs first! Some cats don't react well to them.
      I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

I would get a calming supp for her for the trip itself. No flying for the kitty. Also get a large and dark cover for the crate, enough to where no light will come in, that has a mild calming effect on them. Stick favorite items in with her, not anything you dont want shredded however. Stuff that smells like herself, or you/her fav. person.

good luck.
        Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
        I am pro-Slaughter

Comment

Big crate + tranquilizers and she will be fine = )

I took my cat on a couple of overnight length driving trips (13-18 hours), and he was great with some tranquilizers, haha. He's pleasant enough to let out for litter box needs, so he just went in his regular cat carrier and I let him out for little box breaks when I stopped for gas.

If you have room for a big enough crate that you can put litter, food, and water in it, I would consider leaving her alone in there until you get to your destination. Is this going to be a two leg trip? Or will you do it all at once? She might like to stretch her legs if you are stopping at a hotel for the night, but who knows. Cats can get pretty stressed during travel, so she might be very happy to have all her stuff in a nice cozy crate and not have to deal with anything else.

My cats sometimes do better if we cover their carriers from time to time.

But DEFINITELY talk to your vet about tranqs. I've traveled with and without, and it's a lot better with, haha. And testing them first is a very good idea.

Comment

As far as tranqs go, the prescription ones can be dangerous, but our vet recommends Dramamine. Granted, mine was easy in the car, but I would definitely recommend a half a pill of Dramamine per day in the car.

Comment

I would go for the big crate and make it so she can see you. Most bad shippers like to see their people when they travel. Be warned, some cats yowl when you travel, most do shut up once you are moving but start up again when you slow or stop. Get her used to the crate before you leave, and make sure it has a solid bottom and line that with something disposable (cheap towels from a dollar store) so she doesn't slide around. Do NOT ship her alone on a plane, many people have gone to pick up their cats (small dogs too) and got a dead pet back.
              Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Second the big crate and covering, but let her be able to see you. If you'd like to give her more room, try a large ferret hammock type thingie. We use them
                in large crates and kitty wire condo's for condos. Certain type of shower curtain
                clips will work to attach to the sides. Satisfies getting them to the top of
                their space, also away from the food. water and litter box.

If the howling doesn't stop, can you leave a space in your trailer's dressing room for the crate (provided it's ventilated) or the Jetta to move her to. That's
                based on traveling by night when it's cool, assuming you're driving at night to keep things easier on the horses during summer weather.

We had the luxury of moving the winter and a truck with a shell with sliding window in the shell and rear window of truck cab. DH stuffed foam around the opening so we could leave the window's open and let heat get back there. We had 3 cats, two pals in one large dog crate and one by herself. Keep them
                partially covered.

Comment

Large crate. also Feliway spray can help a bit.

Comment

I'd opt for driving. Flying a pet can be very dangerous with the extreme temperatures of summer or winter.

Read too many stories of pet carriers being left on the tarmac too long and pet expired due to the heat...
                    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Also agree on the crate on the road. Have done my share of flying with dogs, and lots of car travel with both - between New York and Maine almost weekly for over 3 years. Too much can happen flying, and now you can't always accompany your pet on the same plane. So the logistics can be a nightmare.

Experimented quite a bit with Ricky the Maine Coon cat in the SUV. He's not nasty, but hates travel. Although our trips last only about 6 hours. This probably won't work for you, but we found he travels best in a smaller plastic enclosed dog crate. He howls much less often when you a)cover his crate so that he doesn't have to look outside at the crazy world going by, b) have him in the front seat, c)do not feed him the morning of the trip - in 6 hours he has never required the litter box, and d) keep it under 75 mph, even 70 (lower if the roads are rough). SO is a lead foot, and seriously, Ricky will start howling over 75!

Good luck!
                      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

There's an easy solution. Put her in the vehicle you aren't driving, and then you probably can't hear the howling except at rest stops. And your DH will forgive you someday after his hearing comes back (maybe forgive you).

Actually, I'm sure there will be some initial howling, but will probably stop after a while. The first few hours will be the worst. I disagree with the covering idea though, since I worry about air conditioning air flow if the cage is covered. I like the ferret hammock idea though. Does kitty get stoned on catnip? A drunk cat might travel better.
                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Have you thought of Pet Airways? They fly the pets in the cabin not in cargo!

I, too, have a yowly cat. I've found that for a 3 hour trek, he's best if he's in the back seat. If I interact with him a lot (or at all) he starts up again. Also, though I know this isn't the safest thing to do, I let him out. He'll make a tour of the car and hop back in his carrier. Tour the car, hop in. Rinse and repeat. Super funny to see other drivers' reactions to his furry head watching out the window!
                          Forward momentum!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately Pet Airways doesn't fly out of RDU.

Tsali used to travel loose in the car with DH and I all the time back and forth between our apartments in college and then would go home with DH on holidays. Then she hit 3, and became the big mean kitty almost overnight. She's no stranger to tranqs so no issues there. I'm just concerned about piling her on the journey... i.e. I'd like to put her in the crate and not mess with her again until the end of the trip. I think that will be easiest on her.
                            Dreaming in Color

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                              There's an easy solution. Put her in the vehicle you aren't driving, and then you probably can't hear the howling except at rest stops. And your DH will forgive you someday after his hearing comes back (maybe forgive you).
                              LOVE IT.
                              Dreaming in Color

Comment

Originally posted by drmgncolor View Post
                                She's no stranger to tranqs so no issues there. I'm just concerned about piling her on the journey... i.e. I'd like to put her in the crate and not mess with her again until the end of the trip. I think that will be easiest on her.
                                Will she take the pill if you put it in a Pill Pocket?
                                If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                                Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                                  Will she take the pill if you put it in a Pill Pocket?
                                  Good question, Louise. I'll see if she will.
                                  Dreaming in Color

Comment

My cat eats pills pretty well if I put it in some cheese (Velveeta seems to be preferred and smooshes around the pill nicely). I think for some of them, it's also fine to crush them up and mix them with something tasty (check with your vet), which I often find easier than the cheese.

I had to re-dose my kitty during a trip, and I'm pretty sure I just mixed a crushed pill with some wet food and let him eat it after the first one was expected to wear off.

My cats are DEFINITELY best when I don't interact with them. They will quiet down eventually but will immediately start yowling again if I so much as answer the phone or try to sing along with the radio... Tranquilizers minimize this muchly, haha.

Also, with covering, as long as the car is a reasonable temp, it's likely to stay fine in there (especially since it sounds like you're using a nice big crate). You can check every now and again, or just use a cover that still provides some airflow. We also sometimes leave the front part uncovered partially to where air can get in, but where they're still staring at something that mostly blocks their view of anything too exciting.

Comment

I got a crate that would fit in the back of my truck. I put my two cats in it and an litter box. No food or water but would offer it. They only eat twice a day any how and would offer water at stops. Actually I think I have a gerbil waterer thing. They didn't use it of course. The one I thought would be good wasn't and the one I thought would be a mess wasn't.

I used rescue remedy and it worked. My big orange cat would be meowing with me and I would squirt it in his mouth. Must say it worked and made him shut up.

We travelled from CO to FL with 2 overnight stops. We brought them in then and let them stretch their legs overnight etc.

They didn't love it but they survived.

I have a big dog wire crate, so they could see my mom and I. I believe I did put a towel 3 sides of it so they would feel safer.

My big cat hated the car after that. We are getting ready to move about an hour away at the end of July, so he will have to move then. I will probably throw him in just a normal carrier or just hold him for the brief journey.
                                      I love cats, I love every single cat....
                                      So anyway I am a cat lover
                                      And I love to run.

Comment

I will say that I have been happy flying with my kitty clear across the country - once separately (Continental is good about putting them in an air-conditioned van if there's going to be a long layover), once on the same plane - but it sounds like your kitty is better off going the low, slow route. Sedated kitty + airplane = higher chance of dead kitty.

I would set up the large crate NOW and start feeding kitty near it, then in it. I used to have to shove my cat in the crate, but I fed her in it for about a month and she now thinks it's the bees knees. I use a zip tie to secure the door open when we're at home and she uses it as her cat-cave. For a trip, I just have to put her down in front of the door and she walks in and sits down.

Current kitty is a reasonably good traveler as long as I keep her in practice, but I used to have a cat who made me contemplate felicide more than once - think LOUD and PERSISTENT (although she was slightly quieter once she made herself hoarse). The more I turned the radio up, the louder she meowed. The longest trip we made together, which was still only an hour, I gave up and let her out of her crate partway through since she was being so distracting (I know, bad). She wedged herself behind the seats on the platform against the back windshield for her continuous serenade, and she did slow down around minute 45, only caterwauling to the occasional passing car. Fortunately/unfortunately, that was the last trip she ever made.
                                        The plural of anecdote is not data.
                                        Eventing Yahoo In Training

Comment

Working...
                                        X