• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Picky eating cat--vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picky eating cat--vent

She just doesn't want to eat anything except Fancy Feast. She'll try a few bites of this or a part of a can of that, and then she turns up her nose. She'll eat dry only when she doesn't like the non-Fancy Feast wet.

I've tried her on premium, premium wet food. I've tried on cheaper wet food. I've tried her on premium dry, and she will eat Call of the Wild dry; she'll pick at cheaper dry. She doesn't get cat treats of any kind, although she will eat cheese, cream cheese especially, but only a very few licks/bites. She takes a few laps at cream and she'll lick an ice cream bowl.

For what you get in size and not so good quality, Fancy Feast may be the most expensive cat food sold in the United States. Why won't she eat "better" food?

If one were to try to home cook for a cat, where are the recipes?

Is it that she is offered too much quantity at a time in the canned food, except for Fancy Feast? Once a can is opened, she won't touch anything from it after the initial feeding. If a cat only eats a few bites at a time, how often should she be fed?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

What if you just kinda....stop feeding her anything but what you actually want to feed her?

We foster kittens for the shelter and raise them on the crummy Friskies/9Lives/etc canned stuff, because it gets too darn expensive otherwise. Obviously they all love it and gobble it right up, disgusting kitty junk food. We kept two from the last batch, and they were promptly swapped over to "the good stuff," a grain-free canned food that our local pet store puts out as their "store brand."

The kittens refused to eat it. Refused! It wasn't tasty and juicy and disgusting like the Friskies! We swapped them over slowly, just altering the fractions of good vs. bad food slowly, and they left the "good" food without fail. Until it was ALL "good" food. And then they didn't eat for a day or two, just the dry. And then they decided that they were hungry, and wanted to eat wet...and the only option was the good food. So they begrudgingly ate it. A year later and they still choke down the good food while balefully staring up at us. Poor, poor tortured things! Like little kids being forced to eat their veggies!

Of course, if she doesn't EVER cave in and start eating, you're in trouble! But maybe if Miss Priss spends a couple hungry days she will cave to the idea of eating a better quality food? (Or heck, even a cheaper junk food!)

Comment

An animal never starved to death with a full bowl of food infront of it. I hear this kind of stuff from people all the time (same thing about kids). Let my tell you how it is my house. They eat what I give them because it's all they get. If they don't "like" it they will get over it when they ACTUALLY get HUNGRY. Put down what you want, she's aint gonna starve herself to death.

Comment

NOPE she will not starve. I have a Siamese (ok, go ahead and feel sorry for this DIVA)....LOL......but she had problems and has to have two types of meds in her wet foot 2X's a day. They are terrible tasting. But she is hungry. And does she eat? You bet she does!!
        Sandy
        www.sugarbrook.com
        hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

Don't 'wait out' a cat. They aren't like dogs and NEED to eat. A few days without food is very, very bad for cats.

If she will only eat fancy feast, feed her 'fish and shrimp feast' While the others are crap, this one type is actually pretty good stuff.

Comment

• Original Poster

For a black/chocolate with black tips cat, she's a total nagger. I think she's part Siamese, because she talks when she wants something. And she gets physical with her nagging. She'll walk on the computer keyboard, sit on my neck, twine around my feet when I try to walk, jump on any table where I am sitting, and talk and twine. She generally makes a pest of herself when she's hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
              Don't 'wait out' a cat. They aren't like dogs and NEED to eat. A few days without food is very, very bad for cats.
              Yes, I just went through my kitty dieing from kidney failure. RIP Ginger - vet said "the most important thing is that she eats, if kitties don't eat they can have serious liver problems that are very bad, when she stops eating you know it is time. Their systems will shut down quickly without food."

My kitty would only eat friskies and fancy feast. I didn't feed her FF until the last few months when she wouldn't eat a lot of food- and the friskie cans were just too big. She lived 17 years old, and only in the last few months did she show signs of her age or illness. She went quickly, but lived a full happy life.

Comment

I am having great luck with raw liver (for dinner, breakfast is canned food). I cut it up, pour it into freezer baggies. I take it out 30 minutes before dinner so it thaws.
                It is quite rich, so I don't give a lot initially. If you overfeed in the beginning they might throw up.
                Best of all ? $2.19 feeds two cats a dinner meal for 5 days. No grain, no additives.
                I am not a home cooking type either.

Comment

• Original Poster

My mother had a cat with Feline Leukemia that she kept going for years on raw liver strips. Cat was white, and when her pink nose started losing its color, out would come the liver strips until the nose got pink again.

My cat spends a lot of time outdoors and is a mighty huntress, so it's possible she's eating critters to go with her cat food.

Comment

ROFL! Fancy Feast must put something addicting in their food!

My cat would ONLY eat Fancy Feast. I tried much "better" foods and she wouldn't touch them. She lived to be 17 and her fur was still soft and shiny when we put her down.

Maybe just let her eat what she wants?
                    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Comment

Originally posted by Crooked Horse View Post
                      ROFL! Fancy Feast must put something addicting in their food!

My cat would ONLY eat Fancy Feast. I tried much "better" foods and she wouldn't touch them. She lived to be 17 and her fur was still soft and shiny when we put her down.
                      Its like junk food for people. Lots of artificial flavors, fats etc. that taste great but aren't good.

Maybe just let her eat what she wants?
                      Any canned food is better than no canned food Its best to get them on something healthy, but if they won't eat the crappy wet food is better than nothing, it still has lpts of water content.

Comment

I am having great luck with raw liver (for dinner, breakfast is canned food). I cut it up, pour it into freezer baggies. I take it out 30 minutes before dinner so it thaws.
                        It is quite rich, so I don't give a lot initially. If you overfeed in the beginning they might throw up.
                        Best of all ? $2.19 feeds two cats a dinner meal for 5 days. No grain, no additives.
                        I am not a home cooking type either.
                        that's a seriously unbalanced diet. Consider that the natural diet for a cat is a whole mouse- not much liver in there. Bones, muscle meat, heart, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X