• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cat Killer :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Gazelle aren't feral, they are wild. Horses, cats, and pigs CAN be feral, but gazelle are wild, like birds, squirrels, and deer.

Really they aren't???
    The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

If you don't give a border collie a job, they will find one. This 'job' [endlessly circling the chicken enclosure] seems harmless [.]
      Absolutely agree with your first statement.

But I just wanted to post for folks like the owner of the BC with chickens - they should never ever be allowed 24/7 unsupervised access to stock like that. It's another form of obsession and they will, as the poster said, endlessly circle all.the.time, until they do themselves an injury. Or some, like my Violet, would just crouch and stare forever.

And it louses up the dog's training for stock work, but that's another subject.
      I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• Originally posted by Go Fish View Post

Sporting breeds, and I'll repeat this for you, are not to kill anything.
        I wish the two labs down the street had read your post. They manged to kill about 10 of our ducks over a couple week period until I was able to catch them in the act. Their owner still denied it was them and would not contain them. The next time I caught them (with one of my ducks dead hanging from the mouth of a very happy dog) I called them over, put them in the garage and called animal control.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7HL View Post
          A bad hunting dog is a killer. No hunter is owning a dog to kill, what they are hunting.

I own a dog (Toller) that is a classified - Sporting Group; AKC recognized in 2003. She loves cats they are her buds.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/nova_scoti...ing_retriever/
          As a non-hunting owner of a Jagdterrier I would disagree. When I researched the breed (I adopted first.....asked questions later) I found out they are bred and owned almost exclusively to kill. Boar, fox, coon, etc etc. If you don't believe me type Jagdterrier into Youtube and see what you find. Pound for pound they are the most ferocious little killing machines in the canine world. So owning one is a challenge.....I can't blame the animal for trying to do what she was bred to do. It is my job however to manage her so neither she nor someone elses pet come to harm.

Point is that you have a retriever type hunting dog but there are many breeds of hunting dog designed to kill. Doesn't make them bad hunting dogs....they just have different jobs.
          "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

• Originally posted by 7HL View Post
            Really they aren't???
            What's funny? A feral animal is a domesticated species that has become 'wild'. Horses are not natural to USA and are a domesticated species, so they can be feral. Cats are domesticated animals that have ben released/escaped and bred, so they are feral. Same with feral hogs and dogs. Feral animals are still domestic breeds, but have populations independent of people. That's why mustangs aren't protected as wild animals, they aren't.

Antelope are wild because they were not domesticated. Even if a wild animal is 'tamed' it is not domesticated. Domisticated species are ones who have been bred for many generations to suit the needs/wants of people. Squirels, zebra, lions, etc. are wild.

These are just the basic idea. You can look up definitions and stuff for specifics

Comment

• A bad hunting dog is a killer. No hunter is owning a dog to kill, what they are hunting.
              you're talking about BIRD dogs. Yes, they point, flush, and fetch, and aren't expected to kill, and often require extensive training to keep them from doing so. But other kinds of hunting dogs- terriers, hounds- are expected to kill the prey. There are other dogs, like pig dogs, that are expected to attack and bite the prey and hold it until the hunter gets there to dispatch it. What do you think fox hounds do when they actually catch one? lick it gently?
              Even herding dogs with inhibited drive will occasionally kill things- my herding dog "fetched" a young goose out of the water and shook it a bit too much. Good for him- geese and wandering cats are both way up there on the destructive should be killed on sight list.
              And what about livestock guarding dogs? people are oh so happy that they killed the coyote.

Comment

What's funny? A feral animal is a domesticated species that has become 'wild'. Horses are not natural to USA and are a domesticated species, so they can be feral. Cats are domesticated animals that have ben released/escaped and bred, so they are feral. Same with feral hogs and dogs. Feral animals are still domestic breeds, but have populations independent of people. That's why mustangs aren't protected as wild animals, they aren't.

Antelope are wild because they were not domesticated. Even if a wild animal is 'tamed' it is not domesticated. Domisticated species are ones who have been bred for many generations to suit the needs/wants of people. Squirels, zebra, lions, etc. are wild.

These are just the basic idea. You can look up definitions and stuff for specifics
                I could have sworn I saw my neighbor walking his gazelle the other day.
                The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

• And what about livestock guarding dogs? people are oh so happy that they killed the coyote.

LGDs are amazing dogs. I considered an Anatolian at one point when I was trying to find an alternative to rhodesian ridgebacks. The Anatolian struck me as a ridgie without the chase instinct. Again of course an Anatolian who does his job of protecting the herd well is a menace to his prey (wolves and other predators that would be a threat to the herd), but not a menace to people. No ticking time bomb here either.

As I said; we forget what dogs are.

Paula
                  He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

• Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                    LGDs are amazing dogs. I considered an Anatolian at one point when I was trying to find an alternative to rhodesian ridgebacks. The Anatolian struck me as a ridgie without the chase instinct. Again of course an Anatolian who does his job of protecting the herd well is a menace to his prey (wolves and other predators that would be a threat to the herd), but not a menace to people. No ticking time bomb here either.
                    I don't know. I've always heard that Anatolians are on the sharper end, temperament-wise, where people are concerned. I've never known one personally, though. Where I live most people either have Maremma or Great Pyrenees. But you probably don't want some great hulking hairy animal, do you?

You know, out west where they have the really big herds, there've been some problematical interactions between LGDs and hikers on public lands.
                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• They are sharper and I wasn't sure whether that would suit my personality. It would depend on whether they had discernment to go with that sharpness. For example, my heart dog Milo was a sharper ridgeback. He'd assess you and decide whether you would live or die. Kids could do no wrong, and visitors were given all kinds of lovin'. He never met a dog he didn't like and I used him like an ambassador when I was evaluating ridgies for rescue (he got bit in the face by a Shiba Inu once even ).

However if you were uninvited or an intruder or he didn't like the cut of your jib you'd pretty much have to be cleared by me - in the yard - before you were allowed to come in My yard is fenced so he won't roam so we wouldn't have the issues you were describing.

I was looking at Anatolians because I was thinking I could have poultry as was my plan if I had an LGD. Right now that can't happen with ridgies.

Why Anatolians - they are shorthaired wash and wear kinds of dogs like ridgebacks. I don't want to deal with coat.

Paula
                      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

• Well, I'm no expert but it seems to me that any animal that descends from animals that had to hunt to survive would have a prey drive hardwired into their brain. It may be deeply buried under layers of domestication but I can't believe it isn't somewhere in there.

Certainly it will be closer to the surface in some and be selectively bred "further down" (how's that for scientific...) in others but I have a hard time believing it is or should be completely non existent.

I have known dogs that normally leave cats alone but if something small and furry darts past them it seems to awaken their prey drive.

Comment

• All dogs have some level of prey drive - the issue I take up with it, is when people use it as an excuse as the why they aren't training their dog to NOT kill anything on sight.
                          I have a neighbor.. working stock dog - chases horses. Harasses them constantly in the paddocks. Somehow in the 5 years she's owned this dog has yet to teach her dog NOT to chase even her own damn horses. I taught my working dog in a week when I got her from the pound as a 2 year old- chasing any horse/cat is a big NO.
                          she learned that rule damn quick and it didn't take a degree in rocket science to do it.
                          Originally posted by ExJumper
                          Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

• I have heard re Anatolians (and most 'independent-operator' breeds like guard dogs) that you MUST be a very firm owner who is absolutely the authority, or they can be dangerous. They're bred to work without supervision, and a poorly-trained one, given their size, can be highly dangerous. It's about training and the dog respecting the owner (which is like any dog, really.)

I think some posters are confusing "hunting dogs are TRAINED not to kill" with "hunting breeds don't kill." The former is the case. The latter is ridiculous. Dogs are predators, their instinct is to kill. Hunting dogs and retrievers are TRAINED not to kill and dogs who don't train that well are removed from the gene pool. Any dog can kill, be it small animals or something larger. My corgi's a 'herding' breed, but she is absolutely convinced she's actually a badger dog and if she digs deep enough she's going to catch that ground squirrel. Given what she does to her squeaky toys I don't think she wants to keep it as a pet.
                            Author Page
                            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                              What is a kill-happy dog? Do you mean to paint morality on a dog with prey drive? In my mind that's anthropomorphizing. So hunting dogs are kill-happy dogs? Cat's are kill-happy if they are good mousers? Lions are kill-happy?
                              Kill-happy is pretty much the same as saying 'ball-happy' about a Lab - a deliberately casual way of describing an animal with a neurotic behavior that does not relates to any mental activity.
                              It also sounds less pompous than pontificating about 'prey drive' and 'anthropomorphizing as if you were Konrad Lorenz.

Comment

• Originally posted by vacation1 View Post
                                Kill-happy is pretty much the same as saying 'ball-happy' about a Lab - a deliberately casual way of describing an animal with a neurotic behavior that does not relates to any mental activity.
                                It also sounds less pompous than pontificating about 'prey drive' and 'anthropomorphizing as if you were Konrad Lorenz.
                                A neurotic behavior? How is hunting a neurotic behavior?

Comment

• Well managed hunting dogs are expected to be specific in their choice of game. The fact that they are hunting dogs is no excuse to go around killing small furry animals.

Our pack of foxhounds are bred, trained and managed for hunting, but woe unto the poor soul who gets caught chasing deer instead of fox or coyote! The fact that they are bred to chase is no excuse. Our local beagles are expected to hunt rabbits, nothing else.

My English Setter was expected to ignore rabbits and deer (fur) and point birds only. And she better bring those birds to me like she picks them up-biting and shaking bruises the meat-I do the killing, not her.

And-I looked up the definition of predator. A predator hunts for food, not sport, so I'm not sure dogs deserve the predator pass. It's my horse's instinct to spook, buck and kick. He's been trained not to do those things. The fact that he's a prey animal doesn't give him a pass to spin and bolt when he gets the whim.

Comment

• Originally posted by lesson junkie View Post
                                    And-I looked up the definition of predator. A predator hunts for food, not sport, so I'm not sure dogs deserve the predator pass. It's my horse's instinct to spook, buck and kick. He's been trained not to do those things. The fact that he's a prey animal doesn't give him a pass to spin and bolt when he gets the whim.
                                    So a horse isn't a prey animal b/c it doesn't get hunted? That makes no sense. If thrown out on the street with no food, most dogs will hunt (whether they are successful is a different story). From an evolutionary, physical, and mental standpoint dogs are predators. They don't have sharp teeth to eat kibble, its to kill and eat meat

Your horse is trained not to spook. But, if he did spook, would you be shocked and have him PTS? No. You realize its his nature and train him not to do it. However, some horses are going to spook no matter what you do. Those horses should be placed with an owner who can deal with spooking.

Same with dogs. If a dog kills/hunts, you should recognize its his nature and train him/her. Most can be trained not to kill/hunt (even though their instict tells them to). Some will not overcome that instinct. Those dogs should be placed in situation where hunting isn't an option, either by keeping them at home, or muzzles and leashes

Comment

• Sorry Grey hunter, I see what you're saying. Thanks for pointing out my inconsistency.

My horse is certainly a prey animal, and he needs training to teach him to trust me, not his instincts. I don't use his instincts as an excuse for bucking, kicking, bolting-or stopping to graze, as he insists he needs to do! I don't see "instinct" as an excuse for a dog's undesirable behavior.

Many horses indeed meet untimely ends when their behaviorproves them dangerous or unusable. That's our failure as breeders and horsemen. It's our responsibility to train our dogs as well if we want them living with us. It's the price they pay for a place out of the rain and near the fireside.

Comment

• Your horse is trained not to spook. But, if he did spook, would you be shocked and have him PTS? No. You realize its his nature and train him not to do it. However, some horses are going to spook no matter what you do. Those horses should be placed with an owner who can deal with spooking.

Same with dogs. If a dog kills/hunts, you should recognize its his nature and train him/her. Most can be trained not to kill/hunt (even though their instict tells them to). Some will not overcome that instinct. Those dogs should be placed in situation where hunting isn't an option, either by keeping them at home, or muzzles and leashes
                                        very well said!
                                        It's usually people who deny the nature of the animal that end up with out of control animals because they have unrealistic expectations. If you treat Fluffy like a sweet little baby and she kills something or bites the little boy it's your fault. If you treat Fluffy like a dog and train and control her because you realize she has the capacity and desire to kill and bite she probably won't do these things. If you realize Fluffy is beyond your capacity to control and rehome her with someone who can, that is very appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                        X